Why Every Vegetable Garden Needs Ducks

Why Every Vegetable Garden Needs Ducks

I constantly get asked about how I deal with slugs, especially because I am in a wetter part of the UK and there is plenty of grass around – even our garden paths are grass! So I thought I would make a quick video as a reference to my answer on how we deal with slugs here. If there is enough interest I will then make a very detailed video on all the steps needed in terms of looking after ducks, choosing the right breed, when to use them etc.

Instagram: @huws_nursery
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNursery
Produced in Partnership with Eifion Jones from: http://www.torchydesign.co.uk/

Seed sponsor: https://www.organiccatalogue.com
Tool sponsor: https://www.bulldogtools.co.uk

Main Camera: https://amzn.to/2KCbn0k
Second Camera: https://amzn.to/2KkRoUA
Laptop: https://amzn.to/2KjT4hj
Drone: https://amzn.to/2tUYZy6
Microphone: https://amzn.to/2KvTikz
Second Microphone: https://amzn.to/2yXuRYJ
Tripod: https://amzn.to/2lQ77g1

HuwsNursery is a channel which dedicates itself to teaching you how to grow an abundance of food at your home. Videos are uploaded every week and cover a vast range of subjects including; soil health, sowing, transplanting, weeding, organic tips, permaculture, pest control, harvesting and low maintenance growing to name a few.

Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/user/HuwsNursery?sub_confirmation=1

Become a Patreon and help HuwsNursery GROW! https://www.patreon.com/huwsnursery
With thanks to the support of my top tier patreons; William Shidal, Ben Porcher, Namaste Foundation, Valeria Letelier and Mike Moore

1. Yasmyne Roff on December 9, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I have ducks and chickens, and I totally had the duck theory of keeping them in the garden, and I knew chickens weren’t a good idea, because they eat and scratch everything. I came here to confirm my theory. Was not disappointed πŸ˜‚

2. Insomnia on December 9, 2021 at 12:32 pm

how do you catch them/bring them back into their house??

3. Carol Freeman on December 9, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Will they eat my veggies?😯

4. My dear on December 9, 2021 at 12:35 pm

What are the best breed of ducks for this reasons? Muscovy, Indian runners, Harlequin? Anyone knows?

5. no sheep on December 9, 2021 at 12:36 pm

what about snails ?

6. Simon Smith on December 9, 2021 at 12:36 pm

"Why Every Vegetable Garden Needs Ducks" There are many vegetable gardens don’t don’t have duck, and they seem to thrive. So you don’t ‘NEED’ ducks.

7. Johnson Hunglo on December 9, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Ducks today, ducks tomorrow, ducks forever!!!!

8. Deb Kincaid on December 9, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Love this video. Ugh, slugs! They drive me crazy. I’m hoping to get a couple ducks next season. Question: I’m planning a new no-dig garden with wood chip mulch in the walking areas; should I have grass for the ducks instead of wood chips? My hubby is very allergic to cut grass, which is one reason why I was leaning towards wood chips (among other reasons). Thanks for making this video, for all your videos. I’ve learned so much.

9. henk harry on December 9, 2021 at 12:37 pm

do you need to clip their wings ?

10. Dace Bruz on December 9, 2021 at 12:38 pm

I’m in upstate Ny and have ducks for my slug problem in my back to Eden garden. And I get yummy eggs from them.

11. yanik ivanov on December 9, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Howe…if you will get biodigester make biogas from plant waste instead of composting your garden will skyrocket

12. Alan Cadieux on December 9, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Do these ducks eat woke leftists too..? πŸ˜‹

13. snowyconfession on December 9, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Now I’m thinking to open a "ducks for rent" business πŸ€”

14. Shannon Galbraith on December 9, 2021 at 12:41 pm

I was planning on getting ducks but, didnt have any idea they could be used for this. Thank you!

15. SierraAspen on December 9, 2021 at 12:43 pm

I got a whole lot of chickens (20) and only four ducks. I think I did it backwards. πŸ€¦πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

16. karan karan on December 9, 2021 at 12:48 pm

i just use salt on the slugs, it melts them asap

17. lrigdren lrigdren on December 9, 2021 at 12:49 pm

I really like this idea of "community ducks", shared by many neighbors. I live in a suburban part of a city in the southeast USA, where it is warm and sometimes quite wet – slugs are everywhere in my grass and garden. I wish I could sculpt a small pond and have a few ducks, and be sure they would not be preyed upon. I agree they are very charming as well as useful!

18. wholeNwon on December 9, 2021 at 12:54 pm

You really shouldn’t handle slugs with your bare hands…rat lungworm.

19. Marc Goodman on December 9, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Talk less we want to see the ducks in action quack quack

20. Plant and Survive on December 9, 2021 at 12:54 pm

This how we do duck eggs preservation.

21. Melissa Martin on December 9, 2021 at 12:55 pm

What is the breed of duck?

22. LinkVsGanon Castle on December 9, 2021 at 12:59 pm

I used to have two ducks, such amazing animals! best pets I ever had..Max (male duck) was my best friend for 18yrs had him from a duckling, he had the full run of the garden and used to sleep in our garage. They have great hearing too,they actually recognised the sound of my motorbike and would always meet me at the gate (not coincidence) i saw them multiple times running round to meet and soon as the gate opened they would be jumping up at my leg. Really do miss them especially max ,he always wanted picking up and cuddling. Ducks will almost eat anything though (spiders,ants,slugs,flies, butterflies, Caterpillar, even snails if they capture them slithering, but always make sure you always give them duck pellet feed mixed with lettuce too at the very least to make sure they have a balanced diet. Ours used to have some left over dinner too) max ate slugs every so often.. but I do have to stress this, say make sure they is plenty of water in dishes scattered around for them to drink if you use this method because the slugs do gunk up their beaks a hell of a lot and they’re quite bitter…so please make sure they are pots of water scattered around the garden so they can wash the slime down..they are thirsty animals in general. Oh one last thing they do poop a lot and it can stink so if you like that though…ducks aren’t for you

23. Lizzy Zamora on December 9, 2021 at 1:00 pm

100% honest, I came here from Tumblr

24. Zas Huysmans on December 9, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Do ducks eat kitchen scraps?

25. Urban Homesteading PDX on December 9, 2021 at 1:02 pm

We agree! Ducks are always a great thing in the garden and food forest. Ducks are wonderful foragers and they do not destroy the vegetables too much especially when managed.

26. KillerCougar on December 9, 2021 at 1:02 pm

Have you ever used nematodes? I’m thinking of using them this spring.

27. Carl Andrews on December 9, 2021 at 1:04 pm

I probably need about 12

28. snsmystic on December 9, 2021 at 1:05 pm

How do you get them on the raised beds?

29. DEL SUR DELIVERY on December 9, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Hi Huw, quick question: in my case slugs come out at night, so would I need to add lights to my green house to make sure the duck are able to easily find the slugs? Or can they still find them in the dark?

30. Pedro Coelho on December 9, 2021 at 1:06 pm

The problem is this: the slugs are active at night the ducks are active on day time!

31. Stephen Worthington on December 9, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Hey Huw! Just wondering if you’re still up for making the more detailed video on this subject that you suggested in the video description? I’m in the early stages of developing a CSA scheme, and plan to use ducks for slug control, and eggs as a secondary product. I’d also love to use a rare breed if possible, and quite like the look of Shetland Ducks. Would love to hear more!

32. Nowhere Man on December 9, 2021 at 1:08 pm

A duck deficiency! LOL! Will it help if I up my Vitamin C?

33. Maggie Manzke on December 9, 2021 at 1:09 pm

And duck eggs are more nutrient dense than chicken eggs!

34. Stephanie Pauleck on December 9, 2021 at 1:10 pm

I’m afraid they will end up eating the vegetables. How do you control this?

35. Laurel Campbell on December 9, 2021 at 1:12 pm

with the right environment could wild ducks solve your problem?

36. Gabi A. on December 9, 2021 at 1:12 pm

0:11 for a second I thoght that was a very fast slug

37. MyUrban Farm on December 9, 2021 at 1:12 pm

I just got some ducks I’ve had chickens for about 8 yrs but added ducks and I’m in love with them! I have 8 muscovy ducks. I better go let them out now it’s raining their slug shift is starting πŸ™‚

38. Myriam Madigan on December 9, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Community "slug-busting" sounds like an excellent idea.

39. Justa Youtuber on December 9, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Release the Quacken!

40. Cesar Sanchez 96 on December 9, 2021 at 1:20 pm

I just finished watching a video about 10,000 ducks being unleashed onto rice patties in Thailand to eat pests and rice husks. Your strategy shown on a massive scale. Proof it can be done anywhere.

41. Justa Youtuber on December 9, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Ever try copper on zinc strips around your beds? I have heard slugs won’t cross those due to the light electrical charge they generate.

42. Vanessa McGrew on December 9, 2021 at 1:21 pm

The way they arch around the garden. So adorable

43. Alison Sydenham on December 9, 2021 at 1:22 pm

We can’t have pets or animals in our rental property, but we managed to encourage some wild ducks over from the local river! πŸ™‚ We fed some local ducklings every day, bringing them closer to our place each time. Then when they started coming into our garden we got a little paddling pool for them to swim in. Those ducks are now fully grown, they visit every morning and night, and we never have problems with slugs or snails!

44. Jacqueline Jaroffaith on December 9, 2021 at 1:22 pm

I use a lot of egg shells.. I have one duck. She loves slugs and mice. I have a very small garden. The it’s all fence in. I do have chickens too.

45. My Big Boi Philip on December 9, 2021 at 1:23 pm

my ducks will literally feast on the vegies and barely eat the bugs… i have a smart duck deficiency…

46. Ed19601 on December 9, 2021 at 1:24 pm

I have ducks, just 3. Helps a lot.
    I also have chickens. I only let those out if i want my garden stripped of everything

47. MJ on December 9, 2021 at 1:24 pm

I have never seen a slug in my garden but now I wish I had an infestation just so I could get some ducks

48. Amit Kumar on December 9, 2021 at 1:25 pm

Plz hindhi big broπŸ™πŸ™

49. ForagingVegan on December 9, 2021 at 1:26 pm

My garden is located directly next to a body of water with a lot of ducks. I think I hit the jackpot

50. Janet Bransdon on December 9, 2021 at 1:29 pm