Insane or Ingenious? Food Forest has fruit trees planted 2-3 feet apart tour

Insane or Ingenious? Food Forest has fruit trees planted 2-3 feet apart tour

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ visits a permaculture food forest garden in St. Petersburg, Florida to share with you how they planted fruit trees just 2-3 feet apart!

In this episode, you will discover a home that has hundreds of young fruit trees planted really close together. You will learn the reasons why the homeowners planted this close to each other and if it is insane or ingenious. You will learn about some of the more established fruit trees on the property and how to grow noni fruit in South Florida.

You will learn how you can grow fruit trees underneath old growth canopy trees that are existing on your property, as well as use your home to protect some trees from frost.

You will discover some rare fruit trees that are being grown by the gardeners and why they choose to plant tropical fruit trees that may not survive in their climate zone.

You will learn a unique way to store tropical fruit seeds so they remain viable, as letting they dry out may decrease their viability.

you will discover a few leafy green vegetables and even a root vegetable that you must grow if you live in south Florida.

After watching this episode you will learn more about planting fruit trees too close and if it is a good idea or not, as well as get a full tour of this food forest that maximizes the space to grow the most food in South West Florida.

Referenced Episodes
Wild Weeds you can eat (beautyberry with Craig)

Breadfruit Episode / Perennial Diet Episode

Subscribe to GROWINGYOURGREENS for more videos like this:

Follow John on Instagram:

Watch all my videos at:

Buy My Ebook with Garden Fresh Recipes for Better Health

1. Free on December 10, 2021 at 1:11 pm

666k subs, the dark lord approves. great channel btw ; been tacitly viewing your vids for years. i loved the one about summer loving plants for super hot climates. well in dood !

2. BB Does The Thing on December 10, 2021 at 1:11 pm

neat video!

3. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:11 pm

You make vegetables so savory and delicious.. you should be a chef

4. Carmen Slater on December 10, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for your videos John. I just love your whit. If I was half my age I’d have to meet you. Lol.

5. James Festini on December 10, 2021 at 1:16 pm

I came here from video influencers shout out regarding how he shoots his videos with one taking uploads. And I looked at the first one and it was true. But then when I played this one clearly has the little intro in a much higher quality camera so although I don’t know this content very well I’m glad to see that there are people out there who just record quality information and gather a following without any need for a fancy edits or intros or bumpers. Keep up the good work

6. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:18 pm

I have a hunch that this Is how they can get away with all the bad stuff that it is regulated by the FDA /// a loop whole..what do we do ?

7. kdogg040 on December 10, 2021 at 1:20 pm

You’re in my hometown!

8. green house fun on December 10, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Are you okay. Seems like your legs are hurting. God bless.

9. Lotus Holistic Healing on December 10, 2021 at 1:22 pm

I hope the new owners kept these plants!

10. AverageBronzie on December 10, 2021 at 1:22 pm

At around 16:18 is that a large podocarpus in the back, off to the left?

11. Sweatt on December 10, 2021 at 1:23 pm

I always thought the beautyberry was toxic?!?! It grows all over my property.

12. Timothy Curnock on December 10, 2021 at 1:23 pm

Not surprised that some money hungry robot has no interest in organic food at home. Talk about a beautiful healthy home. I just hope that they do it again when they move. I want my garden like that so I don’t hear the noise pollution from the machines all around us today. I am slowly growing a little fruit forest, YOU inspire me with that, thank you.

13. Deerdeer Deerdeer on December 10, 2021 at 1:23 pm

Wild tree grow in clusters . man say plant them 20 feet away.thats bullshit I’ve planted 30 acorns in on pot once and it’s doing fine

14. St.Fiacre on December 10, 2021 at 1:24 pm

27 degrees latitude is approaching the Tropics.Its not that much of a stretch…Florida is definitely subtropical.

15. GivenFactNotFiction on December 10, 2021 at 1:26 pm

How tall does a bread fruit tree grow?

16. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:29 pm

You should buy this property and have a restaurant or go to the next level and sell natural and organic products …here..O I love Florida for a climate for diversity you should be a neighbor I will totally be a customer for life

17. Plants4ever on December 10, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Anyone buying this place is pretty lucky!🌱

18. bud row on December 10, 2021 at 1:31 pm

great video. thank you.

19. Dave Schreiner on December 10, 2021 at 1:32 pm

St.Petersburg is zone 10a.

20. Sas Quatch on December 10, 2021 at 1:32 pm

I love food forestry. I have 3 food Forest areas on my property in Indiana. I have purchased virtually every fruit tree, fruit bush, culinary and medicinal plant variety I will ever want. Now I use these "mother plants" to cultivate more plants as I fill in my acreage. "Less grass – more food – less work". Thats my goal.😉👍

21. artettina on December 10, 2021 at 1:36 pm

Amazing beautiful property, thanks for sharing this!

22. * on December 10, 2021 at 1:37 pm

I notice all the avos and most the food I’ve gotten from walmart and tried to regrow never grows. Tried at least 50 avo seeds no luck, not one. Sometimes I can get peppers to go and the tamatoes but that’s about it. And after they sprout they always seem to get sick and stunted instantly. I think it’s cause ontop of long transpo, growing basically poisonous food, they also heavily irradiate it before giving it to the stores/people and been told that’s why. Which makes sense to me.. Disgusting the way we live now a days =/ Everyone should just grow enough food for themselves and their neighbors then their would be no need.. Really sucks the way society has developed so brokenly. Anyway. lol . great video thank you.

23. TGE on December 10, 2021 at 1:38 pm

Fuckin’ stupid, anyone w a brain that works at all knows branches can’t touch full grown

24. Chris Caahbaugh on December 10, 2021 at 1:38 pm

I dont understand why people so stressed about plant spacing im old as hell and if you doing a container it matters to a little bit due to limited resources…
    On non containers it barely affects them do to the fact that they grow to maximize for their environment…
    People typically struggle with this due to the fact that we relate life better in 2 dimensions where life works in 3…
    My case in point is a tree or vine they will adjust their growth to find the light they need and will do the same with the roots to find that air water and minerals in the ground..natures been working and thriving longer than we been around…lol

25. Jaden Broadway on December 10, 2021 at 1:42 pm

You should do a tour of my garden. I live on the panhandle of Florida by Destin. My front garden is has a English garden vibe with a tropical spice. I have photos on Instagram at @broadwaygarden

26. KenYen Music on December 10, 2021 at 1:43 pm

“Im standing erect. I like when other things are erect.” 🤣 I love this guy

27. Wesley Thompson on December 10, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Your videos are always way too long. Some people do not have so much time to watch your movies, these are not vlogs.

28. mike ekim on December 10, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I have seen some of his videos from like 8 or 9 years ago and he seems to be aging very well !

29. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I am also a cook and love to utilize these plants to to see what I can do …yeah I can dream it is a past time and also a change in life style that is healthier and more beneficial than all the Jass that the food congratulates of companies are spinning about products that are organic..but they use natural and artificial ingredients they do not have to print on their labels.. I am exhausted

30. Mshollygalla on December 10, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Do you have a video about the edible hibiscus? What is it’s zone?

31. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:48 pm

I love it that you show how the way a resident can grow so much in such small areas that’s what I am all about..I wish that small properties were so cheap but we are in America and nothing is below 10 thousand dollars any more /// can you have an episode of an mobile garden please.

32. Danny Holcomb on December 10, 2021 at 1:49 pm

You should try to find someone growing gynostemma pentaphylum, We need to keep that plant alive also.😄👍

33. SefSufi SefSufi on December 10, 2021 at 1:49 pm

R.I.P : frog #1

34. Heather Martin on December 10, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Thank you for sharing this info!!

35. Deerdeer Deerdeer on December 10, 2021 at 1:54 pm

I planted 5 apple seeds in one spot now I have a 5 trunk apple tree

36. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:55 pm

John they are using a garden to sell their property how many times you see this gimmick for a plus up on them making more money for what they are selling… I LIKE you and continue watching you but you know the person who buys this property wont give a ….. about a garden they are more interested in the house

37. Jetty Eddie on December 10, 2021 at 1:55 pm

My neighbor thinks I’m stupid for planting them like that , he’s the stupid one who thinks monoculture grown trees is the best way 🤣🤣🤣

38. Living in Florida on December 10, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Hi John. I live in Altamonte Springs and would love to meet you. Obviously, you’re interested in making money so, I’d like to help with that as well. Love your videos! The Central Central Florida area is very poorly represented on YouTube and Rumble but, you are doing your part and more. Appreciate you much. I’m finding very little harm whatsoever it growing same tree, different cultivar, three feet apart. Also, it helps create an anti-winter micro-climate.

39. Hyphy Mobb on December 10, 2021 at 1:57 pm

I’m trying to recreate this in my home in Sacramento!

40. Ed Dex on December 10, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I will help you with the mortgage of the home by being a 5 year long term tenant just that you do not raise the rent more than 650 hundred dollars a month and do not raise the rent because I will help with the gardening

41. J Sav on December 10, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Has anyone used BidNGrow yet? Curious about how it went? I’m hearing a lot of good things

42. pay no attention to that man behind the curtain on December 10, 2021 at 1:59 pm

bro, you sound high asf lol. you been eating weed again ?

43. danielbuda on December 10, 2021 at 2:00 pm

How close can you plant apples peaches or plums to a house if you keep it no taller than 9 feet?

44. Deserted Forest on December 10, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Hi! We are the former owners of this property and want to give you a happy update. The house sold and, luckily, we rejected the offer from the developer who wanted to remove all life except lawn. We found a very nice couple who not only loved it but were enthusiastic about caring for all creatures, green and otherwise. We are thrilled to have had such success in keeping out a company without a soul and maintaining the neighborhood’s character. Also, this property is literally feeding the new owners and its other inhabitants at a time when supply chain shortages will make this more valuable as time goes on. Thanks to John for his fabulous work inspiring us all, to the most patient real estate guy ever, to all who helped us get it ship shape and ready to sell, and to Ed Dex who made a perfect offer in the comments and we’d have taken you up on it if we hadn’t already sold it. Helping each other and nature is what it’s all about. Thanks to all for being a part of our fun and productive experiment!!! If we were still there, I’m sure we’d have beaten our 120+ species record already! We are now learning how to grow plants indoors, selling starts inexpensively so those around us have food as the economy worsens, and have even learned that one can order fish to grow (even in a spare bathtub!) from companies such as Green Hill Gardens out of Oregon for way less money than we’d have thought. Remember, you don’t have to have a big plot of land, just good quality non-irradiated, non-GMO seeds, dirt and water. You don’t need an expensive system. Leftover milk cartons and Solo cups work great to start new green babies! And a bag of potatoes goes a long way with sprouted chunks in big plastic bins – even indoors! Now is a great time to collect and trade seeds, learn to regrow what is found at the grocery stores, try new to you and heirloom varieties, get to know what plants and yard weeds are edible (dig up those dandelions and protect them – we’ve paid $20 for those salad greens in fancy restaurants! and use those clover flowers for tea!), trade cuttings with friends and neighbors, replenish your soil with spent coffee grounds and wood ashes and food scraps and keep it all organic since you’ll be eating it (fuck Monsanto and Round-Up killing all our pollinators!), get a mower that doesn’t leak oil and gas on your land, if possible, and replace as much grass as you can with edibles like sweet potatoes and ground covers, and, of course, grow for self and others. Plants have never been more popular! Victory gardens here we come! Best wishes to all during this weird time in history. Resistance to letting it all go to hell comes in planting gardens of Eden in whatever spaces you can find, indoors or out (in a room away from pets so they and your plants will be safe since some are toxic and there’s nothing more tempting than grabbing at a branch)! Thanks again, John, for the many ideas you give us. Your videos and enthusiasm greatly inspire us. Let’s all get growing those greens!!! And, remember, as someone more than once wisely said, if you truly want a tree to grow, it will. 😀

45. Danielle Marie on December 10, 2021 at 2:02 pm

im in florida growing muscadine grapes. they are amazingly hardy and prolific. before growing them, i tried other grapes with no success. muscadines dont need pestacides, they dont even need fertilizer, but i do add that to them.

46. JaySun Awakes on December 10, 2021 at 2:03 pm

My moringa tree is over 5 years old started from a cutting and its a beast. Then again i’m in Jamaica where its more suited to grow and it gets full sunlight.

47. RV Boondocker on December 10, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Realistically, how do we keep squirrels from eating all our peaches and pears? Literally ALL of them!

48. Wesley Thompson on December 10, 2021 at 2:06 pm

And you talk too much about unnecessary stuff.

49. David's Allotment on December 10, 2021 at 2:07 pm

I am planting raspberries and blackberries tomorrow as well as my Apple & Plum trees. Great video and great to see those tree’s.

50. mplslawnguy on December 10, 2021 at 2:09 pm

So is this St. Pete or Fort Meyers? I’m confused, you said it was both. Looks like a craphole town either way, neighbor’s backyard looks like Deliverance and all the sirens and dogs barking in the background. Florida has some pretty shady areas unless you’re in a gated community, which I can’t afford anyways so no thanks to Florida.