E1: How to Grow Dragon Fruit From Cutting to Fruit

E1: How to Grow Dragon Fruit From Cutting to Fruit

This series will teach you how to start growing dragon fruit from a cutting all the way until it fruits! Let’s start with the basics of what we need to get your own Dragon Alley started. Check out this video to see how you can begin growing your own dragon fruit plant!

How to Build a Dragon Fruit Trellis V2 https://youtu.be/zWQBOsoyBVk

MATERIALS NEEDED:

CEDAR WOOD 2X4 – 5 pieces of 18 inches for top support

CEDAR WOOD 4X4 – 1 piece 4ft

CEDAR WOOD 2X4 – 4 pieces 6-7 inch cuts for bottom stand

2 1/2 inches #8 GALVANIZED DECK SCREWS/GENERAL SCREWS

Want to see pictures of all my Dragon Fruits? Follow my Instagram!

INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/graftingdragonfruit/

Beginner Dragon Fruit grower and need guidance? Come join my Dragon Fruit community! 👇🏼

FACEBOOK DRAGON FRUIT GROUP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/339405923306378

Please SUBSCRIBE, LIKE, and COMMENT if you enjoy and find my videos helpful and would like to learn more about growing and grafting Dragon Fruits! Thank you for all your support.

1. Erlinda Soriano on December 14, 2021 at 1:27 pm

I was so happy watching your vlogs now I know wat to do wid my dragon fruit plant been there dormant I’ll fertilise it n do wat you doing tnx

2. guido semana on December 14, 2021 at 1:28 pm

I always watch you! Can you please tell me where to buy a 20 gallon pot.

3. adamnlamb on December 14, 2021 at 1:28 pm

hey Richard, I planted a cutting and instead of growing a new stem the cutting developed a flower, should it be cut off so the energy can produce a new stem? thanks!

4. Okinawa Surf on December 14, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Hi Richard, my name is Yoshi, a Japanese guy. I really appreciate your channel. I have a question. Which is more effective to plant and grow Dragonfruits faster, using 10 inches long cutting or such a longer and thick one as 3 foot cutting?

5. Khydo on December 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm

When can we buy the sour patch cuttings

6. Suzanne Blackmon on December 14, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Love your videos. Learning a lot. Hopefully I will have some success in growing these cactus plants and get some fruit next year.

7. vasu devan on December 14, 2021 at 1:33 pm

How long does it take from fresh cutting and it gets root developed from new pot.?

8. D Finite on December 14, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Not sure how to make a cutting. Do you need to cut at a joint, or can you cut into a stalk?

9. Teresita Beauchamp CHHA on December 14, 2021 at 1:38 pm

Mmm,

10. Trump The Messiah on December 14, 2021 at 1:38 pm

hey there, new subscriber and fan here. I watched a few of your videos a couple of days ago and this morning I walked passed a house with a massive dragon fruit plant. and so I knocked on the door and asked if I could get a few cuttings. They had no idea that it was a dragon fruit. they thought it was just a cactus kind of plant with beautiful flowers. the granny said that the dragon fruit has been in her yard for almost 50 years and had no idea that it is a fruit and it is edible. there was still two overripe dragon fruit on the plant and so I cute it and they liked it. I’m very happy that I have cuttings from a dragon plant that is almost 50 years old. I just hope it will root. It is winter right now where I live. we have mild winters and I just wanted to know if the roots will grow during winter or should I get cuttings again in spring time and try and root then?

11. Ellen Joy on December 14, 2021 at 1:39 pm

I’m a new follower- I just started- but I need some cutting- anyone can you share😍👌🙏🏼

12. CNS Khánh Hiệp on December 14, 2021 at 1:41 pm

Richard, you are truly a dragon fruit king and l really enjoy watching your shows. Thanks for all the tips . I live in Northern California otherwise l will contact you for Friday give away dragon fruit cuts from you. Wish you and family all the best and thanks for the great shows again.

13. Francis O'Leary on December 14, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Do you mean litre?

14. Steve Thavisack on December 14, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Hello
    How often do you have to water ?

15. Zus The Bruce on December 14, 2021 at 1:46 pm

16. Ifraad Momla on December 14, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Hi Richard love all your video did make my trellis like your i just want to ask a question is it good to plant two different varietes in the same pots ? Someone in the comment can help me ?

17. Tammi Ly on December 14, 2021 at 1:49 pm

What size is the pot to fit the homemade trellis?

18. Dave Scheer on December 14, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Rich,do you put tags on each of them to keep track of the different varieties , what’s the best fertilizer for them and how often do you fertilize them ?

19. michelle bobo on December 14, 2021 at 1:52 pm

my here snow in winter can I grow my dragon fruit in summer? Do I need to take my dragon fruit inside in winter?

20. GROUNDED GREENS on December 14, 2021 at 1:57 pm

White Sapphire is one of my best tasting varieties next to Brunni, A-2, Connie Mayer. I got my cutting from Kim Phan after tasting her fruit I was blown away 🙌🏻🙂. Great variety.

21. Dr Titil Datta Samanta on December 14, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Thanks a lot. I have done this too👍🏻

22. Marco Flores on December 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I have a question would tou recommend planting on the ground or pots is better

23. El Latin on December 14, 2021 at 2:00 pm

what size is the pot?

24. Ray on December 14, 2021 at 2:01 pm

10:44 We see really nice roots coming out
    *Dirt falls, exposing dragonfruit without root
    We’re just gonna plant that in here rq.

25. Tessie Generoli on December 14, 2021 at 2:02 pm

I’m from San Diego and I want to order cuttings of your red and yellow fruit.

26. Dana VH on December 14, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Thank you for sharing. How long will the Dragon fruit tree last in the 20 gallons container?

27. Shane on December 14, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Can you help me out with some problems I’m running into. I’m not sure what to do. It’s getting bad..

28. scott muszynski on December 14, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Does it help to wrap the main support column with coconut cloth for the dragon fruit’s aerial roots to establish well?

29. Michel Rood on December 14, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Dude’s married and has a kid but is def.in the closet..

30. Tanuj kumar Chakma on December 14, 2021 at 2:10 pm

after growth of 4ft of height..how to cut and where to cut the plant for more branches?please make a video about cutting

31. Cham Pham on December 14, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Please recommend type of soil for growing dragon fruit on the ground instead of in the pot. Fox Farm soil is for potting soil and quite expensive to put on the ground. Thank you

32. Dansoy S on December 14, 2021 at 2:11 pm

How long does pollen last? I wanted to get some pollen from other variety dragon fruits for my white fruits. The white fruits meat is fairly sweet, but I’ve seen videos that show using other pollen to end up with red sweet fruit.

33. David Latif on December 14, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Great Video you are the Master of Dragon Fruit Plants. I have one question How long on average does the cutting that you put into the 1 gallon pot take to develop roots. I live in South Florida and my concern is planting the cuttings in my Large Permanent container and having it exposed to the sun. The card board for protection isn’t really a good idea because we get rain every day. So I’m thinking its best to place cuttings in the one gallon pots and keep in the shade until roots are developed. Thank you

34. Astro on December 14, 2021 at 2:13 pm

How often do you water new dragon fruit cuttings?

35. mau cho on December 14, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Can you show the trellis with the cement post

36. Eva Orlang on December 14, 2021 at 2:13 pm

How long does it take for shoots? Mine have roots but no shoots- it’s been like 2 months.

37. Aarohan Pokharel on December 14, 2021 at 2:13 pm

What should we do in rainy season ? Does it like rain ?

38. Sean Yab on December 14, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Good video, Richard, where did you get your 4×4 cedar wood? All the local big box stores in my area stock only pressure treated wood.

39. Monica saba on December 14, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Can I grow the plants in the soil directly?

40. JadeJay13 on December 14, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Hi there, I am new and planning on building my first dragon fruit trelli. I see that you placed different cuttings on the same pot, is it okay to put different cutting? or is there a special rule?

41. Sam Tran on December 14, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Hi Richard do you sale dragon fruit cutting or tree please let me know so I would like to buy some thanks

42. Chi Huynh on December 14, 2021 at 2:17 pm

I just bought 2 dragon fruits tree I hope they will grow. Thank you for the video is very helpful.

43. Dope2Jordan on December 14, 2021 at 2:17 pm

I bought a dragon fruit cutting from Hello Organics on Amazon. It looks like a dragonfruit but at the nodes going up the cacti are some super sharp pricklies. I don’t see them on any of your dragon fruit cacti. Why?

44. Rhon Black on December 14, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Directly from Kevin’s Epic Gardening too?
    👇

45. clncaa quintero on December 14, 2021 at 2:19 pm

what is the coldest temperature you have in your area during winter?

46. Joselito Nacua on December 14, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Hi Richard
    I just got about a dozen of newly cut branches. I did not realized that you have to mixed it when planting for pollination purposes! I’m not sure which is which? So what do i have to do before I transfer them to the big pot? And also I think I’m in the wrong season starting it because Winter just started in Australia. Would they still grow? Thanks very much in advance Richard. I hope you can help me.

47. renzoreba on December 14, 2021 at 2:19 pm

The cement block also gives the roots a place to cool. Since you like organic you might want to evolve from that to something more natural like coral rock 😎 cheers! Really enjoy you channel 🤙🏼

48. Suzanne Blackmon on December 14, 2021 at 2:20 pm

How often do you water? I’m in California where heat can get up to over 100

49. Vince Godman on December 14, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Can we turn this series into a playlist? Unfortunately YouTube has it all randomized

50. LeTtie GuNgAb on December 14, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Watching you always now and i like your channel for dragon fruit my favorate😁😀