What Happened to My Steel Raised Garden beds After 12 years?

What Happened to My Steel Raised Garden beds After 12 years?

In this video, I show what happened to my steel-raised garden beds after 12 years of use. Also, I compare high-quality Birdies raised garden beds to other brands of steel beds to see which is better.

Go here to get Birdies Raised Garden bed in the USA: https://shop.epicgardening.com/ and use SSME2020 for a 5% discount.

In Australia & New Zealand go to https://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/ or https://birdiesgardenproducts.co.nz/ and use Code SSMEbird for a 5% discount.

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme (the top tier $25 AU enables mentoring from yours truly via an exclusive VIP email where I will answer your questions etc ASAP).

My second channel Self Sufficient Me 2: https://bit.ly/331edDu
New (third) Channel: Self Suffishing Me https://bit.ly/2LiIWqt

Help support the Channel and buy a T-shirt/Merchandise from our Spreadshirt shop: https://bit.ly/3lmqMkr or Teespring https://bit.ly/3neEYO8

Check out www.gardentoolsnow.com/ for tools such as the Prong I recommend to use.

Shop for plants or garden equip on eBay Australia: https://bit.ly/2BPCykb

Blog: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/ (use the search bar on my website to find info on certain subjects or gardening ideas)

Forum: http://www.selfsufficientculture.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/self_sufficient_me

Facebook: https://bit.ly/2Zi5kDv

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SufficientMe

Subscribe to my channel: http://goo.gl/cpbojR

Self Sufficient Me is based on our small 3-acre property/homestead in SE Queensland Australia about 45kms north of Brisbane – the climate is subtropical (similar to Florida). I started Self Sufficient Me in 2011 as a blog website project where I document and write about backyard food growing, self-sufficiency, and urban farming in general. I love sharing my foodie and DIY adventures online so come along with me and let’s get into it! Cheers, Mark 🙂
#garden #gardening #raisedbeds

1. Philmoon69 on December 15, 2021 at 2:06 pm

We are looking at making raised garden beds. Currently we have old 44 gallon barrels in half using a wicking effect. It has been brilliant, but due to the water coming out through the thin steel they have started to rust. We have loads of steel from shipping container walls (we have built our house out of containers ourselves) and we are considering using the old walls for the walls of the garden bed. I have my reservations, but hubby thinks it’s good as it will last past our lifetime. We have seen the video where you put logs and bracken in the base and have decided that would be a good idea. We do live in the warmer part of QLD with less water. We have very good shade cloth to help cover the container walls to keep them from heating up too much. What are your thoughts? Keep up the great vids too!! A big dirty thumbs up here!

2. B REWEY on December 15, 2021 at 2:09 pm

If you buy cheap garden beds you can spray them with rust converter or lanolin oil lanolin oil probably the best but you should do a test on some Bear metal leave it out side for a month With the two lubricants and see what happens and put it up on a video I had cheap car awning from supercheap lasted 10 years when I full spray the car awning inside out with lanolin oil most supercheap car awnings only lasted 2 to 3 years left on its own The only thing with rust lubricants it attracts dirt so it doesn’t matter if it’s in a are raised garden bed you’ll never noticed and will be rust free longer over its life even if you buy quality ones I recommend still spraying over the top with lanolin one more quick tip I nearly forgot you can spray it with underbody car rust spray that would help to make the Raise garden beds last longer
    Just let me know you read my tip keep up the beautiful videos

3. Mark Short on December 15, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Painting the inside with tar might help make them last longer

4. Samantha Bloggins on December 15, 2021 at 2:16 pm

No mouse plague where you are? I have seen videos of the disaster in your country!

5. Michael Herman on December 15, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Do you find heat to be s issue with the metal raised? Meaning, raising the interior soil temperature, and it having a negative impact on the vegetables?

Also, is there a way to collect the water seeping down through the soil, so to recycle it back to into the top layer of the bed, an reintroduce the nutrients (i.e. nothing lost)?

6. Tim Favreau on December 15, 2021 at 2:19 pm

@Self Sufficient Me Thanks for the update as it is very much appreciated!

7. Love and Peace ‘71 on December 15, 2021 at 2:19 pm

What a wonderful comparison. I just received two birdies beds and looking forward to trying them out this upcoming Spring.

8. John James on December 15, 2021 at 2:20 pm

I assume Birdies are using Lysaght ‘Colorbond’ steel for these beds? Be interesting to know if they additionally treat the interior surfaces to augment the finish.

9. Ausama Giwelli on December 15, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Hi Mark, why did you use raised gardens instead of planting straight into ground? It seems you have a good garden soil quality!

10. Boba Vhett on December 15, 2021 at 2:21 pm

The opening wide shots make me feel like I just walked in your backyard and you looked up to greet me.

11. extreme rc Bashers on December 15, 2021 at 2:21 pm

It might have been made of a different run of metal therefore it would react different a different lot

12. luadraponies on December 15, 2021 at 2:22 pm

How about lining them with black plastic or recycle the heavy stuff from appliance stores.

13. Will Russell on December 15, 2021 at 2:22 pm

What is that hand tool? and where can I get one?

14. Jaq Hass on December 15, 2021 at 2:24 pm

I hope you threw away the soil in those chinese bins. Galvanized steel is not known for being full of neutrients. It can be quite toxic if rusted in soil for food.

15. nnp on December 15, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Great videos, thank you! Subscribed. Jealous of the nice weather you have down there, compared to what we have here in upstate NY with so much snow. Quick question, I see in your other videos that you have piles of compost, manure, and wood chips lying around, and you also fill the bottoms of your tall raised beds with loose twigs and tree branches. This all looks like a great opportunity for the rodents such as rats to build themselves nice new homes. Do you have any problems with the rodents, especially with the rats? How do you deal with them, or make sure they don’t infest your garden?

16. Crosis of Borg on December 15, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I wish I could afford to buy these steel raised beds are spendy.

17. Jamison Short on December 15, 2021 at 2:26 pm

i would love to share with you how to get raised bed like some of yours free and is great cause it keeps them out ok landfills. PM and ill send photos of mine and where to get

18. Jason W on December 15, 2021 at 2:27 pm

i always wondered why your intro isnt " Lettuce…get into it!"

19. Lind Pegrum on December 15, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Cool vids, just subbed! You could use promosm to promote your videos!

20. Emily Newton on December 15, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Thank you for your videos Mark! I started watching a few years ago when I had a garden in a sharehouse (but then I moved into an apartment) I’ve just bought a house so you’re helping inform me to use best materials for a long term garden!

21. Cme on December 15, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for this Mark. I wanted some more beds as I only have a small one currently and hubby said we’d get some good quality bigger ones. Knew you used Birdie’s but wanted to see why; this video explains perfectly.

22. Abhishek Kumar on December 15, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Jai Mark, jai Brisbane, jai Australia

23. Geldane M.T. on December 15, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for the info you share. Very helpful to know💛

24. Lion Reyez on December 15, 2021 at 2:33 pm

Rust Oleum paint before and now. After a good sandblasting. Great shows and information.

25. Sylvia V's Creation's on December 15, 2021 at 2:33 pm

My Husband and I are doing up our backyard in Western Australia and we had decided that we would put some raised garden beds in. We are definitely going to put the Birdies raised beds in. I am glad I came across this Video as now it is confirmed that it is the right choice 🙂 Thank you Mark for putting out all these awesome Video’s.

26. Patrick Glaser on December 15, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Rust holes? You mean free rootzone ventilation!

27. Greg on December 15, 2021 at 2:34 pm

This is the Steve Irwin of gardening.

28. C. B. on December 15, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Thank you for your channel and for sharing this Mark!! My boyfriend found your new channel and sent it to me. I’ve been trying to find similar raised beds here in the US based on the idea I got from your old videos and didn’t know where to find this. God bless you! Keep growing.

29. Joanne Cohen on December 15, 2021 at 2:34 pm

You can sand blast the bad raised gardens and remove the rust. You may find a paint that will work for you to recoat the container.

30. Bryce Kirby on December 15, 2021 at 2:37 pm

Great videos keep them coming

31. Ryan Bradley on December 15, 2021 at 2:37 pm

Why not just grow in the ground?

32. Billy Sanford on December 15, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Do you set your containers on concrete or in concrete or just on the ground?

33. Blackg00 on December 15, 2021 at 2:39 pm

I had someone dump colour bond fence sheets on my lawn , so I cut them up and made round garden beds with them, I only bought the nuts and bolts and a cutting disc and some soil. If I get five years I will call it a win for me . All up for less than $50 , two raised garden beds , ten bags of potting mix , a packet of bolts and nuts, then some of my own mulched compost and my mulched up bougainvillea (used my Hansa CE3 chipper $1400 ) . Thanks to your vid on Hansa I bought one and to date in just over a year its saved my son and I about $2300 in hire fees (about $260 /4 hours) so its already paid for its self , I have mulched a tree ,tree branches , weeds , spikey bloody devil bush , neighbors palm fronds and a frangipani all into little tiny pieces . The worms love it.

34. Inge Steinmetz on December 15, 2021 at 2:40 pm

A very interesting video because I just bought a couple of metal raised beds and of course want them to last. Does it make sense, so that they don’t rust so quickly inside, to line them again with plastic wrap before putting soil in them?

35. Gemfyre on December 15, 2021 at 2:43 pm

I recently bought 3 Birdie beds, they are now assembled and in position and being loaded up with various garden junk – old sleepers, weeds, prunings, cardboard boxes, even 2 pairs of old cotton jeans – it’s really tidied up the yard! Then begins the hard work of carting soil in to fill them to the top. Then finally the fun part – planting!

36. Steve Reisman on December 15, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Hey…LOVE the enthusiasm, love the information, love the energy…..but mate, you need to start editing because these vids dribble on and take 2-3x longer than they need to. Get to the point, get it done and spend the extra energy with making other videos. Thanks for all the info you do provide!

37. rufia75 on December 15, 2021 at 2:45 pm

I love how alot of youtube gardeners have their favourite garden tool. They don’t ever necessarily say it, but it just shows up alot. Mark, your hand shovel always shows up!

Charles Dowding, for example, has a dowel he uses for making holes for transplants that showed up in a lot of videos.

38. Carol Ann on December 15, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Are these Birdie beds??

39. igloo2 on December 15, 2021 at 2:51 pm

The cheap raised beds have lasted 6 years already and they were much cheaper, what’s the problem with rust if it lasts 5+ years? I guess it depends on the price of cheap vs branded.

40. Hey B on December 15, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Just don’t google “rusty thumbs up”

41. Street Kid on December 15, 2021 at 2:53 pm

who would give a thumbs down ? GREAT info – love you man.

42. Schnauzberry on December 15, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Gotta get one of those birdies

43. matt klein on December 15, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Coat the inside with a water based asphaltic urethane like EPRO http://www.cadeco.com/productfiles/er.pdf spray it on with a hopper and brush it in. you have to have a release for the water in the bins by allowing water to leach out from the bottom. try 2" of gravel on bottom and place fiber mat/screen over that then

44. Sean Young on December 15, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Could you spread a layer of silicone over the rust spots, would that help?

45. 7burnitdown on December 15, 2021 at 2:58 pm

I wonder if I should be worried about metals leeching into the soil.

46. Kevin K on December 15, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Any ideas for a good European alternative?

47. aaa zzz on December 15, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Galvanized steel can leech toxic chemicals, not a good idea. My brother-in-law lived in the country side, he drank rain water collected from the galvanized roof, he died of agonizing brain cancer.

48. Paula Buchan on December 15, 2021 at 3:02 pm

We are in this phase of deciding our beds! This was great. Would love to have had a review of the one behind the round one at 11:00! Looks like wood corners with galvanized steel sides.

49. ralexlu on December 15, 2021 at 3:03 pm

Hey Mark, what do you think about the vego garden raised beds? They look like they might be the same quality as birdies.

50. Su on December 15, 2021 at 3:04 pm

Hello Mark!!! Thanks for this video. My garden beds are made of wood mainly and otrhes made of cement blocks. One question: your metal beds heat the substrate or soil? See you