How To Build a Outdoor Tool Box

How To Build a Outdoor Tool Box

In this project I take some 1 x 2s of cedar and make a garden tool box that is just perfect to use in the back yard or take to the nursery.

Don’t forget to check out my new Shoppe on http://darbinorvar.com/shoppe

Latest Shop Update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5o85mCdpVs

Rustic Coffee Table

Support me on Patreon: http://patreon.com/darbinorvar
Other Support Page: http://darbinorvar.com/support

Social Media

Cut List:

8 @ 16 1/2 x 3/4 x 1 1/2″
8 @ 9 3/4 x 3/4 x 1 1/2″
1 @ 22 x 3/4 x 1 1/2″ – Handle
4 @ 14 x 3/4 x 3/4″ – Two for Bottom cleats & Two for Bottom of the Box
11 @ 8 1/2 x 3/4 x 3/4″ – Bottom Slats
10 @ 10 1/4 x 3/4 x 1 1/2″ – Many of these pieces will be cut smaller for the top side pieces to hold the handle

1. Duca Schoenberg on December 19, 2021 at 1:27 pm

The best designs and plans are available on the Stodoys plans website.

2. Reinhold Scholzen on December 19, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Hallo Linn,

das ist eine sehr schöne Idee, und das Ergebnis ist fantastisch. Jetzt kann der Frühling kommen.
    Gruß aus dem Deutschland.
    Freu mich jetzt schon auf das nächste Video.
    🙂

3. Rough Woodworker on December 19, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Great project Linn.  Not only is it a great project, it is nice to see green grass and the sun.  It was -14 degrees this morning in Michigan.  Your video gives me hope that spring is near!

4. Marcelo Freitas on December 19, 2021 at 1:34 pm

Hi, Linn! Finally friday came and we have your new video to enjoy. What glue did you use in this project? Looking forward for the Darbin Notes video to know more details about this project. Thanks to Shuttersong for sponsoring the show. Thank you for this great video.

5. Maxima on December 19, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Great tool box. I am making one from your idea and going to give to my mother for her flower garden. I like how the walls of your shop turned out. Your set design and backdrop were really nice and went along with your spring theme.

6. Nick Ferry on December 19, 2021 at 1:37 pm

cool, I like the building style

7. Mighty Wood on December 19, 2021 at 1:38 pm

This is much better than my current garden "toolbox": a plastic bucket. Great project for the upcoming spring, Linn. Daniel

8. Jeramie M on December 19, 2021 at 1:40 pm

I really like that tool box. And, I got to hold the Thor hammer today! It was awesome!

9. Andrea's Workshop on December 19, 2021 at 1:41 pm

love it!

10. Aeon Maujean on December 19, 2021 at 1:41 pm

Is that a pressure cooker in the background? Whats that for?

11. John Bare on December 19, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Very nice Linn, nice project, nice video.

12. Wacky Wood Works on December 19, 2021 at 1:45 pm

It is spring somewhere in the universe… 🙂

Nicely done on the tool box… added to … oh you know where 🙂

13. ДОБРЫЙ СТОЛЯР on December 19, 2021 at 1:45 pm

It is healthy! If to add a bottom, it is possible to use under the tool)

14. Ted Alexander on December 19, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Nice video as usual Linn.  I am ready for spring.

15. ricardo silva on December 19, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Nice video! Loved the dog chilling in the garden!

16. Average Guy Woodworking on December 19, 2021 at 1:46 pm

Nice Video and garden tool box Linn. Jeff

17. ארז משה on December 19, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Very nice

18. Kevin Keefer on December 19, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Where do you recommend put the screws in for securing the top ends to the box?

19. Станислав Афанасов on December 19, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Hello from Russia! I,ts good toolbox!

20. JM Tosses on December 19, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Well done – thanks for sharing! Love the accent by the way 🙂 Nice and simple design.

21. Joes Adventures on December 19, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Love it, Need to make one!

22. Speedy's Woodshop on December 19, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Cool design

23. Kevin Keefer on December 19, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Can you share dimensions or cut list for this project? I want to make this for my Aunt Eileen. 🙂

24. Howard Springsteen on December 19, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Very nice.  I might have to make this.

25. Michael Puffenbarger on December 19, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Nice bin, and made from cedar. i have about eleven cedar fence boards i bought from a b
    Home Depot as damaged goods for twenty cents each. i think they would lend themselves to this although thinner and more rustic. nice build Linn

26. Leo Castro on December 19, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Very nice

27. Terry on December 19, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Another offshoot on this is to make the long sides and bottom out of hardware cloth simply stapled on and that way veggies can get collected in there and get their first clean up right in the box/carrier.  I found that very useful and you can make various sizes very easily.  Thanks for the coast!!

28. DGOTheResistance on December 19, 2021 at 2:02 pm

I would ask you to marry me, and we could share my sawmill, but you have a better table saw than I do.

29. Green Kitty on December 19, 2021 at 2:02 pm

I like this project though I might not have much use for this tool box.  The colour scheme of this video is very springlike, very pleasant.  The drawing/painting on the white-wash wall is very pretty. DId you do it? Thanks for sharing : )

30. Richard Habicher on December 19, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Up with the best designs and very factual for any home uses! I will try it tomorrow!

31. The ShavingWood Workshop on December 19, 2021 at 2:04 pm

I really like the scattered pattern – Very nice tool box.

32. Graham Orm on December 19, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Love it! It has a log cabin look because of the crossed over ends to the boards. Great job.

33. Carl Jacobson on December 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

This is a nice project Linn, spring is right around the corner 🙂

34. Tom Stratton on December 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Linn, sadly I find that the amount of advertising / promotion you are doing is tainting your wonderful channel. Such a shame…

35. Mule Kick Handmade Guitars on December 19, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Quite nice. I like it.

36. GarageWoodworks on December 19, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Very cool Darbin!  I really like the design you came up with.

37. ProspectorBill on December 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Loved Darwin in the background as you were cutting.

38. Scrap wood City on December 19, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Cool project! Looks like it’s gonna be really useful in the garden!

39. DIYTyler on December 19, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Am so ready for spring, was -24 this morning in Michigan. Nice tote Linn!

40. rojerio oliveira on December 19, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Maravilhoso trabalho Darbin. Onde vc aprendeu marcenaria? Consegui fazer uma casa de árvore?

41. anile8tor9 on December 19, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Hey Lynn. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I Have a question about your shop. The part that is outside where your tablesaw and miter saw are. I see they are under a roof, but it looks like the sides are open. How do you keep them dry if it rains and is a blowing rain. Just a question I was asking while watching. I’m sure I missed something while watching.

42. international recipes on December 19, 2021 at 2:14 pm

In the absence of all those gadgets you showed on a DIY, it is not possible for me, would you be able to make me like a tray to put underneath my Doves cage to catch the feed and poops. Thanks.

43. sezar650 sezar650 on December 19, 2021 at 2:15 pm

good         good      good

44. cynthia designs sewing studio ~ designer/seamstress on December 19, 2021 at 2:16 pm

Your new wall looks great! Did you paint that vase?

45. Chewbacca on December 19, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Nice inspiring build and I want to try building one. Subscribed some time ago, and I like your accent; my ancestors were Swedish. As a young child
    great grandfather sang to me in Swedish but he passed on before he could teach me. I am new to woodworking, and want to also learn how to figure what to buy, quantity, and what to cut, dimensions, etc. Am fortunate that we have a local school with open shop time as im not ready to buy tools yet. There’s so much to learn! You are inspiring, i enjoy your vids (and it helps that you are also female, cause we explain things in more detail). I also understand the need for sponsors because making these videos for peeps like me is painstakingly time consuming and costly. Even so, preference is to keep them consistently at the end like you did with this vid, that begins with " and now some words about the sponsor….." I will watch the sponsor info when I don’t know anything about their product cause its how I learn of new things, technologies, etc. But when rewatching vids, it would be extremely annoying to have to rewatch all the sponsor ads, so keeping them at the end is fair. Curious, you are Lynn, Lin? Is Darbin your Swedish name?

46. Veronica on December 19, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Looks really nice =) You are a talented woodworker =)

47. Lost in the Woods on December 19, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Looks great… makes me wish spring would hurry up now, i’m ready to warm up!

48. Tomeka Pompey on December 19, 2021 at 2:24 pm

I am sure the best plans is on woodprix website

49. Jakob Hovman on December 19, 2021 at 2:26 pm

As always…great video…!

Super idea and solution…
    with the removable…
    and "open" bottom…!
    Many totes could do…
    with this idea.

I have chisel boxes like this…
    standing on the workbench:
    Dust in…dust out…
    Selfcleaning…!

Your Garden tote reminds me…
    of a Swedish log cabin…
    They have these long ridges…
    just like the handle…!

Ps:
    I hope you know of them…
    but I want to mention…
     2 "Other"…
    inspirational YouTubers to you:

Frank Horwarth…
    Architect and woodworker.
    His woodturning will make your eyes Water…
    with envy…
    as will his stop moptin animations…!

Also: Mathias Wandel…
    Ingenious in making Jigs…
    and Projects…
    for almost any purpose…
    Much like your Darbin Notes…!

Very Very Very Early spring greetings Linn…
    Jakob.

50. Donnie G on December 19, 2021 at 2:26 pm

Like the design Linn. Have made many planters in this style but makes a great tote also.