How to Make a Garden Arch Trellis

How to Make a Garden Arch Trellis

A garden arch trellis can add beauty to your garden and is a great support for many plants. It is simple to construct using a cattle panel and metal T-posts. Deciding how wide to construct it and high high you want it are important factors; Gardener Scott demonstrates different widths and how they look. Securing the panels to vertical supports reduces instability and swaying while creating vertical sides to the arch. It is advisable to use a post drive for pounding in the T-posts.

Post driver: https://amzn.to/31d8acw
Cable staples: https://amzn.to/2YF2INR

You can help support the GardenerScott channel in three ways and it won’t cost you anything:
1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.
2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.
3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20
It doesn’t cost you any extra, but it helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.
Thank you for your support!

As an Amazon affiliate I benefit from qualified purchases.

1. Chanboratha Koeng on December 19, 2021 at 1:49 pm

use tpos cliper better

2. Ruth Conner on December 19, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Your 4×4 arch way beds are 3×12 beds 5 ft apart?

3. faramarz mokri on December 19, 2021 at 1:52 pm

Could you also tel us how you have secured the 4×4 on top of each other?

4. samuel malupeng on December 19, 2021 at 1:52 pm

I love your autism awareness shirt…thanks for your shared knowledge in gardening too.

5. Michael Pallini on December 19, 2021 at 1:53 pm

What’s that a drive thru garden?

6. Mark Cunningham on December 19, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Hi Scott – do you have a video that shows your trellis from this summer covered with perennials? I think down below you mentioned maybe planting clematis, honeysuckle, grape vines. I have never done this before so I am wondering what that would look like.

7. Br. Placidus Lee on December 19, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for the video! I was trying to figure out how tall one of these would be with a 5′ bench under it, so you solved that for me!

8. kathryn lu on December 19, 2021 at 1:56 pm

thanks for posting this very informative video… loved your shirt too, it raises awareness & acceptance of people with autism. you’re awesome!

9. Daniel Tinoco on December 19, 2021 at 1:57 pm

I’m impressed with this videos. pragmatic, in less than a few seconds, I got an idea of how to create a trellis. I often look at videos where they talk too much (unnecessary). Thank you for this brilliant and cost effective Idea!

10. Allan Jones on December 19, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Just saved me a whole lot of work…and searching for answers. Thank you!

11. Miss Vee on December 19, 2021 at 2:03 pm

I just noticed your shirt, made me so excited, my little boy is on the spectrum 😲 thank you for the info!! Definitely will refer back to this when I get my supplies

12. Noeun Kim on December 19, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Thank for the great advice!

13. Eric Shreves on December 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

I built one this year after seeing this video, then planted 3 cherry tomato plants on either side. πŸ‘Œ I LOVE IT! They’re almost to the top already!

14. Tarenn on December 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE this video. It’s so well done, easy step by step instruction. Last year you helped me build my first raised bed & hoop cover, both from your videos and answering my questions πŸ™‚ This year; cattle panel trellis is my goal! πŸ™‚ I’ve now watched this video 7 times over the last year πŸ™‚ as well as all your other videos on cattle panels). Yesterday I drove to a farm store and bought my first cattle pannel . I’ve looked forward to building this trellis this all winter! Thanks Scott!! You give me confidence that I can do these projects all by my self πŸ™‚ Your videos are so well done, and I know it must take you a long, arduous time to make, with all the fine details and camera angles you include. THank you! thank you! Thank you! You are a real GEM πŸ™‚

15. JAMIE Servin on December 19, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Gardener Scott, which direction should I put my trellis in the garden? Should it be facing north?

16. Emil McCulloch on December 19, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Hi Scott. First off, THANK YOU for the way you teach. You do such a great job putting the process into manageable and understandable baby steps. I live in the Pacific Northwest where the sun doesn’t go up and over my beds as much as it shines at an angle from the south as it moves from east to west. I haven’t figured out whether to incorporate an arch that runs east/west or north/south in order to maximize on the sun exposure. Any thoughts?

17. pam letourneau on December 19, 2021 at 2:07 pm

I will be using this system for cukes, tomatoes & squash. For 30+ years I’ve made a trellis but didn’t use raised boxes. Now I am. It will be so much easier for me and my aching body. I love your channel. Thank you for sharing your tips.

18. Rowell Octavio on December 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

As a thank you im subscribing

19. Olivia Cruz on December 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Cool tutorial. I have been thinking and rethinking the best way to stake my vining veggies. I have a clear picture now after this. Thanks again!!

20. nicatnyte on December 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

This is brilliant! My husband and I just bought our first home and while we have done some container gardening, we are looking forward to raised beds in our yard and growing vegetables. We talked about having a squash/gourd trellis and this is what we will do to make that happen! thank you so much!! what kind of perennial vines will you use? I was thinking it would be nice to have some flowering vines mixed in for pollenators. Thank you!! I am loving your channel and subscribed, I am also telling people about you, we have a bunch of gardeners at church so talking and learning from them is fun too. Thank you!

21. bluebluedogbooks on December 19, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Thanks!

22. Garden Dove. on December 19, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Thank You Gardener Scott..πŸ’šπŸ˜‰πŸ‘

23. JonTopping on December 19, 2021 at 2:12 pm

As usual great stuff! You mentioned gourds, melons, and cucumber. Are there any hardy perennials that would climb a trellace? So the plants will survive a winter and keep going, giving lots of fruit?

24. sheeja antony on December 19, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Loved it, This is the one I wantedπŸ˜„πŸ‘πŸ™

25. faramarz mokri on December 19, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Great video thank you. Could you make a video for wind barrier with glass panels.?

26. Dj R on December 19, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Amazon sells a smaller drill auger for those t post i got one and boy does it save time. I have hard rocky soil and the auger still dug its way through. it cost 15 $. I set two post in about 5 mins just today.

27. William Faubel on December 19, 2021 at 2:18 pm

How wide apart are the raised beds?

28. Becky Sheetz on December 19, 2021 at 2:18 pm

So helpful! Scott, I love how your channel is practice but you also mind the details and care about how things look!!

29. FAMILY TECH FARMS on December 19, 2021 at 2:22 pm

this is an excellent idea, ⟟ will try it in my garden. Thank you so much.

30. Organic Youth Garden on December 19, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Greatfull an arch trellis

31. Marto on December 19, 2021 at 2:28 pm

You mentioned these panel arches can be used for watermelon growth. I’m a brand new gardener and plan to use this system for watermelon.

But I thought watermelon grew only on the ground. Won’t the fruit growing vertically up the panel be too heavy? Or are you referring to a specific type of watermelon that is small?

32. Eutimio Chavez on December 19, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Great video thank u

33. Jane Cantrell on December 19, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Excellent video!!

34. Prince Adonis Ocean on December 19, 2021 at 2:29 pm

this is great but I wish you also showed the completed arch with some amazing plants growing on it!

35. DONALD DUKE on December 19, 2021 at 2:30 pm

That’s a lot of expensive lumber in those raised beds. I made mine with 8X16 cinder blocks. They’re not as pretty as those in the video but I saved a lot of money.

36. Emily on December 19, 2021 at 2:30 pm

You just answered the question I had been pondering of trellis placement in the bed. I was concerned about not being able to easily access things in the middle of the bed if the trellis was placed on the inside, I think the middle is the perfect placement for my plan. I can’t thank you enough for all of your guidance!

37. Hemen N on December 19, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Thank you Gardener Scott, I am really happy to see your video and love your honest teaching ❀️.

38. Nicole Waterhouse on December 19, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Thank you so much Scott, you are the Beau Bridges of gardening! Love your work ❀️

39. Sam H on December 19, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I want to build this. But I also heard this arch should be going north to south, not east to west. To not shade out the rest of my garden. Is that true? If so, I don’t think I can do this in my garden because to look the best, I’d want it east to west

40. shuvanidev on December 19, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Hi! Does it matter on which side of the panel you place your posts? Does it make it stronger for the t-posts to be on the inside of the arch? Thank you.

41. Jeff Horton on December 19, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Don’t use those white ties the sun destroys them use the black ones

42. Paul Hartsell on December 19, 2021 at 2:40 pm

You mentioned gourds and such, but could this work for tomatoes? I have been tilled earth gardening for a few years and looking to make the switch to raised beds. Having a hard time imagining how to trellis my tomatoes.

43. jas shmdla on December 19, 2021 at 2:42 pm

How long are the cattle panel pieces?

44. Harlan Woodward on December 19, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Used cinder block raised bed so it doesn’t rot. Thanks

45. Ravindra Narayan on December 19, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Great video content. Just wondering what gauge wire you used.

46. C W on December 19, 2021 at 2:43 pm

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

47. Tamila Vatcharadze on December 19, 2021 at 2:43 pm

I am working in a school garden, and this video made me want to put a trellis in the garden! it would look so good if all the vines were hanging from the arch, and i bet that it will look so amazing when melons or cucumbers grow on it!

48. Frank Michael Adams on December 19, 2021 at 2:48 pm

Is it necessary to face the tunnel south?

49. Jessie DSouza on December 19, 2021 at 2:48 pm

What is the length of the cattle panels

50. TheRainHarvester on December 19, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Do people make these with sidewalk/driveway rebar? I tried to make an arch today but it flexes a lot.