A Complete Guide on How & When to Seed Start Annual Garden Flowers Indoors: Save Money!

I cover how to determine when to start different annual flower varieties indoors. I show you how to plant small, medium and larger seeds. I discuss watering, fertilizing, container selecting and lighting and highlight 2 big mistakes people make.

My Playlist for 2020 Indoor Seed Starting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pM_JfLWhM&list=PLMsTQWKi63STjo0GhCz5XT0O3wEs3Iw3N

0:00 Introduction
0:22 Difference Between Annual and Perennial Flowers
1:28 Determining When to Start Annuals Indoors
7:00 Planting Annuals – Small Seeds & Larger Seeds
17:00 Watering
18:16 Quick Comment of Fertilizing
18:48 How to Use Grow Lights. How Close & How Long On

Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden Homestead – Thanks!

Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/ – Seeds, Starting Supplies, Neem Oil, Peppermint & Other Oils, Calcium Nitrate & More.

I now have an Amazon Influencer’s Storefront. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It is free to use.

Just use my… The Rusted Garden Influencer’s Storefront link at https://www.amazon.com/shop/garypilarchiktherustedgarden anytime you shop.

I put the products I use, in videos, there and have gardening products set up by categories. Here are the direct links by description.

Great Gifts for Gardeners in Your Life

Products in My 2020 YouTube Videos

Seed Starting Supplies and Grow-Light Stations

Containers, Pots and Small Greenhouses

Better Greenhouses, Shade Cloth, Tunnels & Cold Frames

Fertilizers & Amendments: Indoor and Outdoor Gardening

Disease and Pest Management

Garden Tools: The Rusted Garden

Gardening Books and Resources

Products I Use and Recommend. I have an affiliation with them:

VermisTerra Worm Castings: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on VermisTerra Products and save 10% at https://vermisterra.com/

GreenStalk Vertical Gardening: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on GreenStalk ‘Vertical Tier Systems’. Use this link and enter my code for the discount http://store.greenstalkgarden.com/?afmc=therustedgarden or this short link http://lddy.no/4eal

Garden Shelving Systems: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on Shirley’s Simple Shelving and Raised Bed Products at http://www.shirleyssimpleshelving.com/

My Social Media Links:

Follow me on Instagram:

Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: https://therustedgarden.blogspot.com/

Contact Me at therustedgardenmerch@gmail.com for questions or if you are interested in collaborations, affiliations or advertising.

1. Ed Nace on December 22, 2021 at 1:17 pm

thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

2. Gary Pilarchik (The Rusted Garden) on December 22, 2021 at 1:18 pm

I now have an Amazon Influencer’s Storefront. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It is free to use and anything you buy may be eligible. Just use my… The Rusted Garden link at https://www.amazon.com/shop/garypilarchiktherustedgarden anytime you shop. I have garden items broken into categories.

3. Nook Small on December 22, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Hi Gary, question– do you keep your transplants in these gridded trays for months before hardening them off and taking them outdoors, or do you move them into bigger pots? I imagine they take a lot of space if you do? I’m new to gardening and that’s one thing I’m confused about. After sprouting and growing about 4 inches tall, I moved all my parsleys and cilantro to bigger pots, but not sure how I’ll continue doing this for all my flowers and crops?

4. Sour Tea on December 22, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Will some annuals survive a Texas winter where itโ€™s not *that* bad compared to the north? Iโ€™m also planting them in pots and not planning on putting them in the ground, so can they stay outside the whole time?

5. Top Noch on December 22, 2021 at 1:23 pm

Hi Gary Thx 4 The Great Video Once Again. Can You Please Help Me? Its So Confusing When You Go To Ebay/Amazon And You Wana Buy The Small 6 Seed Cells You Are Using. There Are So Many There Please Please can You Give Me The Name,Style Size Of The Seed Cells You Are using In This Video? And If Possiable The Big Trays To Were the Small Cells Fit It. I Will Be Waiting 4 Your Reply So I Can Buy Them Thank You Very Much Love From UK England.

6. Ree Intili on December 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Do you ever genuinely say thank you to folks on your channel? Constantly promoting stuff. Sad

7. Helmut Sasse on December 22, 2021 at 1:25 pm

where can i find the flowering dates for the seeds
    thanks Helmut

8. roger weber on December 22, 2021 at 1:26 pm

Hi Gary. I always enjoy your videos for veggies and just getting starting started on growing our flowers. I always use a heat mat for veggies should i do the same for my flower seeds?

9. angela anderson on December 22, 2021 at 1:26 pm

I always learn from your videos. Would you consider doing a winter sowing method video. That seems to be the craze these days. I trust your judgement.

10. Olay Sirisavath on December 22, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for explained very well I am so glad I learned from you. ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‰๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒปโ˜˜๐ŸŒป

11. Karen Prescher on December 22, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Have you ever grown the Monarch of the veldt daisy. I cant get the seeds to germinate. Help!

12. Stephen Luna on December 22, 2021 at 1:29 pm

will adding cinnamon to the top cause issues with flower seeds?

13. Lass A on December 22, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Thank you so much! I enjoy your videos and all your information.

14. Bianca Venute on December 22, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Great video, thanks for the help! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Martin Martinez on December 22, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Thank you so much for your help. Glad I found your channel. God bless you and your family.

16. Jessica Hernandez on December 22, 2021 at 1:34 pm

So you want to allow them some growth indoors but also outdoors before they bloom ? For example, if they bloom in 60 days that’s about 8 weeks. Would you let them grow for 4 weeks indoors and then take them out ?

17. David Klein on December 22, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Marcia Klein here. After watching this video I just ordered a bunch of your flower seeds to start indoors here in Mid-Michigan. We a very very cold right now. Love your videos. Happy gardening!

18. Love always Jasmine on December 22, 2021 at 1:41 pm

Any idea when I can sow Icelandic poppies? Iโ€™m in zone 7.

19. mplslawnguy on December 22, 2021 at 1:41 pm

How did you decide how long you wanted them growing inside, before transplanting outside? I’m not sure where you came up with those timelines. Will these work, regardless of how small they are at transplant time or do they need to put on a little size first?

20. White Rabbit on December 22, 2021 at 1:41 pm

The "when" makes sense up until deciding the # of weeks that you wrote at the bottom. No real explanation of where you come up with that number. Not very helpful.

21. timothy hogarth on December 22, 2021 at 1:42 pm

Grow lights for cosmos starting now in philadelphia

22. Lar on December 22, 2021 at 1:43 pm

I am now confused. When I go to the nursery and buy my flowers, they are already blooming. For example, I buy a flat of Marigolds in full bloom and transplant them in my gardens. But I am not to allow them to bloom when I start them inside?

23. Denise Girmer on December 22, 2021 at 1:44 pm

You are the BEST! Ty๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ’œ

24. Andrew Raissis on December 22, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Gary- you are among my go-to YouTubers for gardening information. Question- why are you planting those seeds and not your own from your shop? (You have them in the bag right there!) thanks

25. Nathan Allen Pinard on December 22, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I partially now want to make tiny flower plants

26. Tierra Daniels on December 22, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Greetings from Texas! Gary, your seed starts are so near and orderly.. mine are haphazard and random.๐Ÿ˜„ t
    Thank you for the information. I’m considering purchasing your seed packs. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

27. Jodie Blinstone on December 22, 2021 at 1:48 pm

I’m just wondering – where do you find the information on how long it takes flowers to bloom? Or is this just from experience? I’m in the UK and the back of my seed packet doesn’t tell me this.

28. Helmut Sasse on December 22, 2021 at 1:48 pm

Hi Gary.
    When should i start my impatiens live in zone 5??
    Helmut

29. Tenzerta Tenzing on December 22, 2021 at 1:48 pm

Wow great deal for the seed package for a dollar. Canโ€™t beat that .

30. Jenny Stimson on December 22, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Great video but how do you know how much growth the plant needs indoors before going outside? Could you expand on how you calculate that? I’m sitting here with my seeds and sharpie.

31. Jan Williams on December 22, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Hi Gary, this is my first year growing any seeds inside. I watched this video twice and I guess Iโ€™m a little dim to have picked up how you determine when to start any particular flower indoors. You have written germination time – I certainly get that – and you have bloom time – I get that as well. How one connects the 4 and even 6 to 8 weeks you have written on the bottom is what Iโ€™m confused about. Can you please clear that up for me as Iโ€™m right now in my planning stage for starting the flowers. Thanks. You have a tremendous amount of videos to watch and I appreciate that.

32. Dragan Curak on December 22, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Gary u have everything for gardening. even voice , I am learning so much from u thank you very much for explanation and putting on your professional expertise.if and whenever u in Adelaide South Australia u have free sleeping and food and drink, all the best mate

33. Tri Nguyen Dang on December 22, 2021 at 1:53 pm

How often you water after the first water and how far apart

34. mizcea1 on December 22, 2021 at 1:53 pm

very helpful and informative, thank you

35. Yammy Mackin on December 22, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Came here to find out one thing and all I needed to do was click the chapter! I love that.. To the point. I can come back when I need the rest of the video. Very well done thank you

36. Brittany Garrison on December 22, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Finally an explanation my autistic mind can follow. Thank you, sir.

37. Baron Wolf on December 22, 2021 at 1:55 pm

What about if you start the seeds in a greenhouse? What suggestions do you have on start dates? I am putting in a 6×8 greenhouse this summer and want to be prepared in the spring. Just not sure if it is the same as starting โ€œindoorsโ€. I guess so if temps remain in the 70s. Thoughts?

38. stevie b on December 22, 2021 at 1:56 pm

that is so smart, thankyou so much Gary , thats exactly where i’ve been going wrong , i’ve been leaving them in my little growhouse for weeks on end after germinating because i had nowhere to put them

39. Steve O_O on December 22, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Thanks so much for this video.

40. shervon lewis on December 22, 2021 at 1:58 pm

What about us in the Caribbean

41. Ana Cecilia Hannickel on December 22, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for your videos Gary! I need some advice: I ordered a few seeds that specifically say that direct-sow isnโ€™t recommended. They instruct you start a few weeks before last frost. The thing is, Iโ€™m in zone 9b, and my last frost date was February 13. So since itโ€™s PAST my last frost date, can I still start them indoors & transplant once theyโ€™re bigger? Or do I need to wait till next year & start them in January? I donโ€™t want to waste a bunch of seeds. Theyโ€™re all annuals by the way. Iโ€™m trying to start a cut flower garden.

42. Vincent1324. on December 22, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Do you need to refrigerate you wildflower seeds to germinate them before planting?

43. Stephen Luna on December 22, 2021 at 2:07 pm

I’ve been struggling with my flower seeds, thanks for doing this video

44. Yassine EL HAMDI on December 22, 2021 at 2:07 pm

The way you explain things is simple and easy to understand and remember. This is the reason I bought your book and I really love it. I recommend it to anyone how wants to start a garden the correct way without any headache. Thank you again I really appreciate your content

45. Ira Johnson on December 22, 2021 at 2:08 pm

I want to plant them in the front of my yard in. Kinda like rectangular patch. I just want to do it cause I know someone who likes flowers ,I think idk anymore, so they can see them from a distance cause of the new normal and know that’s for them. I planted them for looks and letting you know it’s my way of saying that.

46. AquaLady on December 22, 2021 at 2:09 pm

I just have a big ol box of random seeds. You were always my first choice for gardening. This came as a pleasant surprise!

47. Sean-Michael Surprenant on December 22, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Unfortunately, some of my black eyed Susan vines began to flower inside even though I took all factors into consideration! What can I do to ensure they will thrive when I plant them outside? Are they a lost cause since they began to flower inside?

48. Ana Castillo Zuain on December 22, 2021 at 2:12 pm

I’m trying to start violets and this video was the best one I’ve seen so far, it really helped me so tysm!!!!!!!๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿ’ž

49. Mini Pillai on December 22, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Very informative video. Do we need to cold stratify the snapdragon seeds?

50. Thanh Tu on December 22, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Where do you get those plastic cells?