HOW TO – Generator Pull Cord Repair

HOW TO – Generator Pull Cord Repair

HOW TO – Generator Pull Cord Repair
In this easy to follow video tutorial I show you how to replace the pull cord in a portable generator.

Visit my channel for more repair videos;

Don’t forget to click the 🔔 to turn on Video Notifications for more money saving videos and tips, featuring all the brands like Stihl, Husky, Husqvarna, Honda, Echo, Tecumseh, Dolmar, Makita, Poulan, Ariens, Briggs and Stratton, Murray, John Deere, Craftsman, MTD, AYP, etc.

Help me make videos or buy me a beer!!

Connect with me on these social media spaces (plus that’s where I announce contest winners)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Donyboy73-The-Small-Engine-Doctor-on-Youtube-234040803408166/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/donyboy73
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/donyboy73/

If you enjoy my videos make sure to comment, share, thumbs up and subscribe. Thanks for watching!

Easy to follow and thorough step by step tutorials do it yourself (DIY) to help you with your broken lawn and garden equipment including snowblowers.

I do my best to teach you how to easily diagnose problems the fastest, quickest and most efficient way with real repairs beyond just replacing a spark plug. These tips are for both the homeowner and shop owner.

Whether it be a handheld, two stroke, two cycle engine like a chainsaw, weed eater, weed wacker, string trimmer, grass trimmer, line trimmer, hedge trimmer, strimmer, brush cutter, leaf blower, or four stroke, four cycle units like a lawnmower, wood splitter, lawn tractor, snowblower, pressure washer, generator or a ride on mower that needs parts installed or replaced, I’m your go-to guy.

My favorite brands of spark plugs are NGK and Champion and are the ones I recommend.

I’ve been a small engine mechanic for many decades and also run my own repair shop so my videos are loaded with tips and tricks that I have learned and want to share with you. You will also find many tool and product reviews from top brands on my channel as well.
I have the largest Small Engine Repair Video Library on Youtube and the entire internet with over 1200 videos, just GOOGLE “DONYBOY73”!

I want “DON THE SMALL ENGINE DOCTOR” on Youtube to save you time, frustration and most importantly, MONEY with my HOW-TO videos!

Due to factors beyond the control of DONYBOY73 “The Small Engine Doctor”, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of this information, or improper use of this information. DONYBOY73 “The Small Engine Doctor” assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. DONYBOY73 “The Small Engine Doctor” recommends safe practices when working with power tools, hand tools, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of DONYBOY73 “The Small Engine Doctor”, no information contained in this video shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not DONYBOY73 “The Small Engine Doctor”.

#donyboy73 #db73 #smallenginerepair #howto

1. Samuel Anwakang on December 26, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Thank you very much. Just helped me change mine.

2. Paul Dupin on December 26, 2021 at 2:03 pm

This video made me smart in less than four and half minutes. Easy to understand and perfectly correct. Thanks : – )

3. Peter Fong on December 26, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Hi Doc blessed love my brother, how tall the rope should be for the eg5000x watching from Jamaica west Indies !!

4. Nick Norr on December 26, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Great Channel..question..I have a generac gp6500…I pulled to test it..started..shut it off..started again and there is no tension on cord..are the little metal arms that attach to the hub btoken?.springs not working?..do I need a need pull starter?
    Ty again!

5. Lily Poe on December 26, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Sir I am currently surviving the aftermath of hurricane Ida and last night I went to pull my generator and I had this issue. Thanks to your very detailed video I was able to fix the generator in 30 minutes and my mom now can have her morning cup of coffee! Bless your heart and soul and I pray that you win the lottery!

6. Jegede Aidokhai on December 26, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Very helpful.

7. trevor Byron on December 26, 2021 at 2:10 pm

My recoil came out of compliance and was never able to put it together again

8. Nicholas Jordan on December 26, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Real men Hand wind the recoil spring

9. Garry Clark on December 26, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Sooo what braught me to this video
    pause for a second, I just want to say how impressed I am, and how-die hard, and easy to fix, briggs and straton engines are. I never really messed around with small engines (like lawn mowers and weed whackers and all that) until about 2 or so years ago. Till a 5yr+ old mower of ours, that has been beat to death, left in the rain, sleet, cold weather, been flipped over, thrown, dropped in adn left in a small stream or muck and mud, never having been serviced, nor an oil change, or spark plug change, or air filter change ect….. was a Toro Self Propelled front wheel drive push mower, the thing was abused worse than the kids who went to epstines island straight from a North Korean Child Prison Labor camp, ( I know I know ban analogy, just trying to show the ammount of abuse and neglect this mower has had), anyways one day I went to mow my steep hill of a yard whre the grass was almost as tall as my house, I mean people have been lost and reported missing in my yard at this point in time, and the yard isnt even that big of a square footage of a yard, so I went to mow it one day, and the mower woudlnt start, mind you didnt have the moneyh at the moment to go buy a new mower at that particular point in time, sooo i decided to mess with the mower to see if i cant get it running, started with the quick things, took the air filter out and blew it out with my air compressor and clean it up as much as i could, checked the oil and did a quick oil change on it using some oil i had left over from a oil change on a car (knowing that the mower could use the equivilant of 5w20 or 5w10 and be ok long as it not just that, and for the heck of it tossed in some lucus oil additive tried starting it, to no avail, I then checked the gas making sure it had enouigh in it and if it was still good enough but added a bit of dry gas that I had laying arouind, as well as some stabul (we always had both on hand cause of the motorcycles we were constantly storing on the off season for people), still didnt start but getting closer, I then took the spark plug out of it and it was sooo caroded I probably shoudl have went right down and baught a new one as well as chanign out the wire on the mower that connects to it, but for the sake of time, transportation and finances I just sprayed some electrical connections cleaner on it, as well as some sensor cleaner and sanded it down a bit with a file then a fine grit piece of sand paper, I also clenaed up the contact for the wire and the same for the other end of it where it connects making sure there was a solid connection, still. nothing but again getting better, I then decided maybe its got a clogged line somedwhere, sooo had a buddy of mine pull start it while i sprayed carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake, and it would start up run then quickly die out, I said ok well that aint no good but least we know its not frozen up, thus telling me its not getting the fuel that it needed, soooo I pulled the lines off one end to make sure fuel was flowing through freely, fouind it was, until I got to the one that connects from carb to engine, sooooo I pulled the carb, (and here is where and why I love briggs and stratons) literally took me a total of 5 minutes to pull the carb, clean it all up all the lil ports and everything inside it, the bowl , I mean it had soooo mcuh varish and tarnish inside it i didnt think it was ever going to work again but carb cleaner and some fine grit sand paper and using the air compressor cleaned it up as much as i could, popped it back on, pull started it up and VAROOOM black smoke everywhere like it just blew out all the build up and shit that was sitting in it from all those years of abuse and neglect (I mean im sure the can of seafome i put in it in the gas helped a ton too), but the thing came right back to life like it was brand new, sooo i shut it down took the blade off it and grinded it down to a fine edge, and lemme tell ya thing ate through that tall ass grass faster than a wood chipper, with NO hesitation or stalling out…… anywyas that is why I absolutly love briggs n stratton engines, and I absolutly swear by them,

but what braught me here today, is trying to figure out the pull start mechenism on a briggs n stratton generator engine, and why its not winding back up like it should after changing the cord.

10. Brian Wyant on December 26, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Not having a father in my life I’ve looked to YouTube to fix a lot of stuff. Now its time to fix my generator and you sir have stepped to the plate to show me what I need to do

11. Alvaro Torres on December 26, 2021 at 2:14 pm

12. Young Minds Generation Talent view on December 26, 2021 at 2:14 pm

8years and you still saving lives 🙏

13. Jason Bradley on December 26, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Excellent video. Thanks!

14. Kairat Abdulgaziev on December 26, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Привет! Дон👍

15. jason mbanefo on December 26, 2021 at 2:18 pm

23rd of August 2021 and you’re still saving lives. Saved me so much stress because my mechanics been out of town.

16. Stage name Clarity Kane on December 26, 2021 at 2:21 pm

August 2021 you saved the day. Fixed my generator for $5. We ready for hurricane henri.

17. Allyson on December 26, 2021 at 2:22 pm

I do these repairs easily but years going by …. It’s nice to have a refresher video as my brain ages, lol.

18. Abu Abdullah on December 26, 2021 at 2:23 pm

So Nice your gidnees

19. Davis Onwuezobe on December 26, 2021 at 2:24 pm

8 years later and it’s still saving people’s money… Thanks men

20. OVERLORDG0D on December 26, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Good Job.
    Peace.
    Charles Andrew Oyedele Ososami.

21. alonso trevizo on December 26, 2021 at 2:27 pm

Thank you!

22. James Bush on December 26, 2021 at 2:29 pm

I happened to fix mine but some reason when I turned the generator on. The rope didn’t pull back into it when it was on.

23. Zanti john Vowei on December 26, 2021 at 2:30 pm

I did what I watched here but is not working,when I turned the robe forward is not come back

24. Lorenzo Camacho on December 26, 2021 at 2:30 pm

This just happened to me today at work, we’re working on a house off the grid and our generator pull cord broke, we needed heat in the house and didn’t have a new pull cord so took the cover off and wrapped the broken rope around the pulley and spun it and got it going, went to Lowe’s tonight and bought two new pull cords and tomorrow morning will reassemble it and you really made it simple and I shouldn’t have any problems now. Thank you very much and I will remember this tomorrow morning.

25. Scott Featherstone on December 26, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much.

26. Ben Rodeheaver on December 26, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Hey big D, I’m having problems on my 18 twin. The starter drags and I have to jump it w/ a car battery. I thought about a pull start for it but dont know where to find a receiver of that size. Please help.

27. Ryan Warner on December 26, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Thanks man, broke my grandpas generator and bullshitted that I could fix it in a panic. Shoulda seen his face when I did

28. Darkness Dragoon on December 26, 2021 at 2:33 pm

Took a couple tries but this video helped make sure I got it right

29. peter bora on December 26, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Thanks

30. Obianuju Mgbanwune on December 26, 2021 at 2:35 pm

Thanks a whole lot from Nigeria.
    Just fixed my generator with this video.

31. stephanie jane game special force group2 on December 26, 2021 at 2:36 pm

Thanks bor

32. donyboy73 on December 26, 2021 at 2:36 pm

Watch my video on how to fix a limp pull cord here;

33. Shaun Schwab on December 26, 2021 at 2:39 pm

Thank you!

34. kolawole oluwashola on December 26, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Your video jus saved me 💪

35. David C on December 26, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Thanks a lot for your video. You saved me in a tight spot.

36. attah attah on December 26, 2021 at 2:43 pm

37. Friday Emmanuel on December 26, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Thank you very much…. you just save me some bucks

38. Proud to be Normie on December 26, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Just fixed the generator today. Thanks a lot!

39. David Wash on December 26, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Perfect illustration.😊

40. Gbenga Davids on December 26, 2021 at 2:46 pm

Thank you. I just repaired my generator pull cord by myself. The video is so helpful

41. Ron P on December 26, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Dec 2021… saved my ass at work .. thnx

42. Ryan Loveland on December 26, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Pulled the cord out while in the middle of the boonies… this vid helped out big time

43. your dad's gay on December 26, 2021 at 2:55 pm

I still cant get my string to retract

44. Peter E Odoh on December 26, 2021 at 2:55 pm

8 years later and still saving lives.
    Every description inch perfect
    Thank you.

45. Ayodeji Ibuola on December 26, 2021 at 2:56 pm

8 years later and it still saves money

46. Darren Oates Fine Furniture on December 26, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Great video man, no shit, just the info everyone needs, thanks for posting

47. ENOCH GARCIA on December 26, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Thanks man

48. Semiat omotola Adedimeji on December 26, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Woww 8 years video just saved me alot of money 😌thank you this video was very helpful…

49. Loelt Holiday on December 26, 2021 at 2:58 pm

50. Muhammad Faizan on December 26, 2021 at 2:58 pm

The video is helpful even after 8 years, I have been waiting for the mechanic to fix the starting rope, but finally did it by myself following the video.