Houseplant Masterclass: Learn Plant Basics | Session 1

Houseplant Masterclass: Learn Plant Basics | Session 1

| LazyGardener merchandise: https://lazygardener.in/collections/lazygardener-merchandise |
Note: We are contributing 50% of the profit from our Lazygardener merchandise sales towards Sunderbans’ reconstruction.

In episode 1 of the houseplant masterclass, I explain the basics of light, water, and origin of plants. Starting from why light is important to every plant whether you keep it in your bathroom, living room, or kitchen. The plant needs light to make their food through photosynthesis. Also, explains how to check when to water & in the right way. See you guys in my next class.

| Other Masterclass episodes |
Secrets to make pothos leaves bigger and plant bushier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RstvR6LavM
Propagating all indoor plants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdzNCtNQo0
Gardening terms & plant myths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMu2K9FvTQ
Nursery visit and tips to buy plants from the nursery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUj1vFratc

Time-stamp for the episode:
0:00 Intro
2:36 What are plants? / Difference between plants & animals?
4:03 Photosynthesis: light & water
5:14 Myth buster: Indoor plants need less water because of less light.
8:23 Trick to measure the intensity of light
9:53 Bright shade??
10:42 Understanding 2 things about light: duration & intensity.
11:25 In the northern hemisphere, the south-facing window gets direct sunlight.
13:34 How water is used up by plants?
14:38 Transpiration
16:00 How to save an over-watered plant?
16:35 When to water?
21:08 How many times to water a plant in a week?
26:30 Rotation of plants is important.
27:26 How to water the plants in the right way?
31:21 Low-light plants
32:12 Jade needs bright sunlight
33:38 How to shop low-light plants from a nursery?
35:50 Origin of plants
39:55 Succulents need less water
44:02 What makes a plant a plant.
43:52 Recap
46:26 QnA

Subscribe to our channel for more gardening videos.

1. Pooja Vaid on December 28, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Superb 👌👌

2. Sudha Sreenivas on December 28, 2021 at 3:17 pm

I missed your master class, please let me know when the next one is planned. I am very eager to attend.

3. SNEHAL KULKARNI on December 28, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Why holy basil leaves turned short and crisp

4. PRABHA C P S on December 28, 2021 at 3:19 pm

Great info.eagerly waiting for next video

5. Bhawaansh Agarwal on December 28, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Hi, Can you help us make a kitchen garden?

6. Reena Agarwal on December 28, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Mine shoe flower plants doesn’t grow plz tell me wht can I do , how can I send u pic of my plants

7. Rupali Admane on December 28, 2021 at 3:25 pm

why your plants look healthy and garden untidy ??

8. DRIBBLE on December 28, 2021 at 3:25 pm

brilliant….
    very informative and helpful..
    appreciate it..

9. Marimuthu Shunmugasundaram on December 28, 2021 at 3:25 pm

very nice

10. jeevana muralidharan on December 28, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Ficus

11. Azeem Unnisa on December 28, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Informative session. Gud job guys

12. Grow with Me on December 28, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Life very beautiful plant and nice information new friend here

13. Vandana Rawat on December 28, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Does changing the location of plants in the house kills plant??

14. Sikander Khan on December 28, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Sir I have a problem in my stepellia plant stepellia have full of buds but not blooming sir please solve my problem and save my plant

15. Diksha Kalra on December 28, 2021 at 3:31 pm

You said about drainage from bottom. Can you explain it more?

16. Nilanjana Mitra on December 28, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Sir , your sessions are too informative. But I am still wondering, being a resident of an appartment in 4th floor how can I bring big (14inch) potted plant out and give sky visibility or light…?pls do reply

17. Foodievibes_21 on December 28, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Love your content

18. Sikander Khan on December 28, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Great class 👌very informative and useful

19. samscatsandplants on December 28, 2021 at 3:35 pm

I started watching your master class mid way through your third, and post that eagerly waited and watched the next two. I have now come back to watch the ones I missed. Thoroughly enjoying these classes and find them super informative. Please do have many
    more series of classes like these. If you could do one on vegetable/herb gardening that would be great. I’ve had many flowering and decorative plants over the years but shy away from the herb/ vegetable gardening.

20. Manasi Sharma Khandelwal on December 28, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Hi I missed early part due to internet connectivity

21. Maxie Fernandes on December 28, 2021 at 3:36 pm

It is learnt that during day plants taken in carbon dioxide n give out oxygen and at night plants take in oxygen and emit carbon dioxide which is not good for humans. So how safe it is to keep plants indoor especially in the bedroom.

22. Debomita Biswas on December 28, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Ur video is really informative! Thank u Tathagata for introducing me to this video of lazygardener.

23. Arc-en-ciel Films on December 28, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Hi! My name is Radhika. This masterclass was awesome. Thanks for the efforts you are taking. It was very insightful & inspiring.

I have one query & would be grateful if you could address it in the next session.

I have a window grill garden. I planted blue pea flower last year in spring. It grew beautifully & spread all over my window grill. This summer though has been really bad for it. Most of it dried up and of what’s left, the leaves are speckled with yellow. I have removed all the dried up parts & now I’m left with what looks like a small shrub. I water my plants every alternate day, which was ok for this plant till the onset of this summer. Now I have to water it daily because it just wilts away if I don’t.

My window grill faces the west. I get direct sun from about 3 pm to about half an hour before sunset. The immediate neighbours of this plant are aloe vera, ram tulsi & curry leaves.

What can I do to help this plant?

Could you also please share a recipe for a homemade plant pest repellant?

24. Gunnoju Sridevi on December 28, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Pls short videos

25. RG on December 28, 2021 at 3:45 pm

I loved this session. Thank you for this. I have some queries I really seek answers to –
    1) Do plants we keep inside, in well natural lighted areas, needs artificial light in night?
    2) Do all cactus plants need full sun?
    3) How to know when to water cactus plants?
    4) Is it ok, if plants that are kept inside, are kept out in mornings/night everyday just to have air
    5) Do variegated plants like coleus, fittonia albibenis etc. Need to be kept in full sun/area receiving bright light/low light areas

26. Ronak Kahaliya on December 28, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Very knowledgeable class thank you

27. Ishrat Amin on December 28, 2021 at 3:48 pm

I love plant’s

28. Maxie Fernandes on December 28, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Can the artificial light inside the room play the same role of natural light to plants.

29. Uma Deavi on December 28, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Absolutely superb.

30. Qamar Ara on December 28, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Awesome session….thank u from the deep of my heart….I have two questions: the watering funda u said about water coming out from the drainage hole is applicable to the plants kept in pots even under the direct sun outside? I am from Bhiwadi, Rajasthan and here the temperature goes up to 48.
    Also my hibiscus has got milli bugs and my chameli has got ants…how to get rid of them?

31. Priya Singh on December 28, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Informative tips.i am a regular follower. I end up with overwatering my some plants. I am still learning the water requirement.

32. Lalitha Karnan on December 28, 2021 at 3:51 pm

It was like attending botany class it was very interesting ,thank u very much.looking forward for more .best of luck

33. Ranjit Bhatti on December 28, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Hello lazy gargener how to train money plant to grow up the moss stick

34. Surekha Mulekar on December 28, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Light and water for plants,you given information to follow

35. Rupali Admane on December 28, 2021 at 3:52 pm

I think you need to learn how to grow healthy plants !!

36. nazneen qureshi on December 28, 2021 at 3:54 pm

This is the best YouTube channel 🌸🌹

37. Padmasudha Balakrishnan on December 28, 2021 at 3:55 pm

I didn’t attend the masterclass but I absolutely found this useful. Thank you for uploading this on the channel . It was a wealth of information regarding light and water …..I’ve been following you for a while so most of this information you had already shared but I still found it very useful. Thank you so much….. Will be watching the second class as well here and that’s about pothos which is my favourite so far….being a new plant mom……tha knyou again .

38. Shivangi Singh on December 28, 2021 at 3:59 pm

39. Shereefa Unas on December 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Awesome 👏

40. Lazy Gardener on December 28, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Next Masterclass is on 14 June 5 PM: Join at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RstvR6LavM

41. Saranjit Sohal on December 28, 2021 at 4:02 pm

Awesome video.. have shared with couple of my friends who are interested in planting.

42. shrutika shinde on December 28, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Hey this video helped me understand regarding the light and water situation for plant quite well, now I actually know the reason why some of my plants died earlier. Here is a small request if you can add this master class series in channel playlist it would be helpful.😃 You are doing a great job in spreading the knowledge about plants basics 💯

43. srikar gantyala on December 28, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Is that pingani pots have drainage holes ?

44. Nilanjana Mitra on December 28, 2021 at 4:04 pm

I am keeping my money plant on window and gets whole days till evening very bright light not scorching sun..soil gets dry daily… should I water regularly?

45. Goku gondaliya on December 28, 2021 at 4:05 pm

Sir Hindi me bhi video banaiye

46. Lazy Gardener on December 28, 2021 at 4:09 pm

Next Masterclass is on 28th June 5 PM: Join at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMu2K9FvTQ
    The last Masterclass is on 5th July 5 PM: Join at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdzNCtNQo0

47. palsharmistha on December 28, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Nice video.. try to talk about vegetable plants also in next videos if possible.

48. vaishnavi arolkar on December 28, 2021 at 4:12 pm

This session is really useful……thank you so much for such imp.. info… Will definitely attend all session…. Also I ordered lazy Gardner sticks…..

49. Surbhi Bhati on December 28, 2021 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for sharing such amazing information! ❤️❤️

50. Manasi Sharma Khandelwal on December 28, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Thank you so much Vinayak for teaching and conducting this class …