Simple Guide to Watering | Highly-Effective Watering Methods for the Vegetable Garden

Watering can seem a bit of a chore but there are a few ways of making it easier and more effective. This video covers a range of tips and clever tricks that I use all the time to water the vegetable garden. I wanted to keep this simple because going into detail with drip irrigation systems is a whole other topic and also can be costly so I hope these tips on how to water a garden help you save some time and effort.

My Online Course ‘More Food Less Effort’: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/more-food-less-effort

Follow me on Instagram: @huws_nursery
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNursery

My 1st Book (Veg in One Bed) http://veginonebed.com/
My 2nd Book (Grow Food for Free) http://growfoodforfree.com/

#watering #vegetablegardening #permaculture

1. Guillermo Hervas on December 28, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Hello, I enjoy your videos very much, I do not speak english, this is why I would like to know it possible to receive them in spanish. Thank you

2. Claudette Monty on December 28, 2021 at 1:33 pm

When you water your seedlings with the mesh curtain, do you water with it or you take off the mesh curtain to water?

3. Guy North on December 28, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Good video, we waste so much water. Often I will give my plants a quick drink before a rain so they will drink up as much rain as possible, water always seeks the path of least resistance, much like the 45 fellow did the presidency.

4. matteos69 on December 28, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Any algae in those ibc tanks? Water tanks need to be opaque for water or algae will form I think.
    I enjoyed your video.. thank you. I’m going to try and find those clay pots that slowly release water… fix stuff on reusing containers

5. สุภาวิณี อรรถมานะ on December 28, 2021 at 1:36 pm

ฉันชอบคัณ

6. Enchantedlight 2013 on December 28, 2021 at 1:36 pm

Good compilation!

Heres some.more Tipps for cotainers:

Keep plastic-botlles , make some little stitches in the lower area, with a strong needle or an old pair of compasses or sharpen an old Screwdriver and when putting the plants into the pot, just bury them next to them. Later when u watering the pots also open the fastening and fill it up to the top, then close the clasp.

The osmotic pressure soaks the water out of it, all the more when the substratum is beginning to try out. Thats why the little stitches shouldnt be too big…
    Also u can cut the bottom of the bottle , bury the bottle upside down without the clasp and put some loamy earth in the opening. Close the top with the cutted bottom with the bottom side downwards for lower evaporation.

There are more possibilities if combining the ideas of those two methods!

I enjoyed ur videos ! Good time

Be sleeky like water my friends!

7. Robert Hicks on December 28, 2021 at 1:37 pm

I am growing potatoes inside and wanted to know if an idea I was working with was a good one. Last year I tried to raise some, but over watered without a drain hole. Very disappointing result, Im sure you guessed. This year I was planning on having them with drain holes, but got to thinking that the roots that need the water are at the bottom. I was thinking, instead of using them for drain, what if I put them in a bowl and filled the bowl with water above the holes but below the spot I planted the potato. This would keep moisture to the roots, but keep the area that needed air in the ground dry.

8. JL Star Sound on December 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Sorry to be a pain. There are serious nano plastic issues. Using any plastics in the garden

9. Pemela Mlambo on December 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Thanky

10. Ester G on December 28, 2021 at 1:42 pm

Your videos are fantastic! Great work! Oh and your books too. Just got two of them this week from Amazon.

11. Chez P on December 28, 2021 at 1:43 pm

You’re right Huw, those tiny germinated leeks look great! What a great idea!

12. DJLirnl on December 28, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Nice one !

13. Yvonne C on December 28, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Hi from Canada 🇨🇦! Omg thanks for this awesome video! Just a newbie but I’m sure more seasoned gardeners may not be aware too!

14. norxgirl1 on December 28, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Do you harvest rainwater, or just fill up your water containers from the tap? How do you keep them from turning green, growing algae from sunlight? Thank you…..

15. Sonia Triana on December 28, 2021 at 1:48 pm

These are great gardening tips/reminders for new & veteran gardeners!! I appreciate your very nice presentation – thank you!

16. J. Lewis on December 28, 2021 at 1:48 pm

This is a fab channel, thank you

17. Kanyiri Grows on December 28, 2021 at 1:49 pm

New subscriber here..New gardener too..I’m very inspired by your method

18. Jon Branden on December 28, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for another great video, Huw! Who makes that beautiful yellow watering can?

19. Anzhelika Kashtanava on December 28, 2021 at 1:50 pm

20. Pam Brown on December 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm

great infor im working my why to all your vidoes

21. Adrian Fox on December 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Great idea here of covering seed with a plank to retain moisture. Carrots are a nightmare here for us and i will give a go with a plank. Covering with anything else like polythene or fleece not only heats up the soil too much or the dogs and cats have fun moving them. It will be interesting to see how quickly carrots take to germinate under a plank. (hope they aren’t seed that require light to germinate!)

22. Albita vilche on December 28, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Hola otra ves no puede saber que dice no esta lis comenrarios en español

23. teresa zetlein on December 28, 2021 at 1:59 pm

I use a ‘wicking bed ‘ system (large self-watering container) using used Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBCs) like those that you show at the end of your video. I just need to water seedlings for a couple of weeks, then they are reliant on water from the water reservoir at the base of the container. During a period of no rain, I top up the reservoir weekly via a tube which runs down the inside of one side of the container. The plants never run out of water!

24. MOTO/R/SPORT NEJ on December 28, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Precious resource ! Ho ho ho you ain’t got New England city water.

25. martin mildon on December 28, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Fair play to you some really good tips thank you 👍

26. Emma Ferris on December 28, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Such a great tip for germinating seeds, thank you 😊

27. LAMYR VASCONCELOS on December 28, 2021 at 2:03 pm

I was born in Brazil, but I live here in USA-FLORIDA-west palm beach. I saw a video of you using a manual lawn mower, (GRIM REAPER FARM), I used this instrument a lot on Brsail. But I would like to buy here in the USA. Could you tell me where can I buy ???? I am grateful if you can help me.

28. Josephine Clifford on December 28, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Excellent! THank you.

29. The tranquil backyard on December 28, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Super !!!

30. Павел Грешных on December 28, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Huw, how do you avoid burning the seedlings when you transplant them under strong UV after the greenhouse?

31. Toto Lattetah on December 28, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Hello!
    Thanks for your videos,always interesting tips.
    My question : what and how do you grow in plastic bottles, as we can see on 7’22?

32. Andy Cook on December 28, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Hey quick question, I’m wondering about making a spray for my vegetable garden using rhubarb leaves has any tried this good idea or bad idea?

Andy

33. Jimmy Johnny on December 28, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Have you done a video on your water storage tanks?

34. Isabelle Van Assche on December 28, 2021 at 2:10 pm

What about PETbottles and if you think it helps or have experience with it, how deep in the ground must the water drip? How much water/ how many times fi for Beefsteak/ Coeur de boeuf tomatoes

35. wanda martinez on December 28, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Hi Huw…awesome vids. would like to know how I can determine HOW MUCH to water my plants, especially those that are planted in the ground, so as not to over nor underwater. thanks.

36. Craig Metcalfe on December 28, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Hey Huw! Thanks for the watering priority, I never heard that before but it makes total sense. It has been a wet start to Autumn in the subtropics Down Under so I have been madly planting seeds taking total advantage of the free rain. If it lasts till next Saturday night, I will get out amongst it with some soap, a loofa and a towel. 😉 Cheers!

37. Josh Chapman on December 28, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Brilliant video once again Huw. Another reason not to water during intense sunshine is each droplet will act like a magnifying glass which concentrates the sun’s rays, causing damage to plant cells

38. DepressednWondering on December 28, 2021 at 2:16 pm

OMG those huge water barrels!!! I wish I could find them somewhere 😭 not like I have space to put them anywhere on our tiny property LOL. Do those barrels last you all year or do you also use well water or city water when those run out?

39. Harmony Steel on December 28, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Very helpful thank you! 🌱🌱🌱

40. Scott Price on December 28, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Is there an episode on the IBC water system ?

41. Crin A on December 28, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Fantastic. Thank you!

42. Shobe’s-N-Worx on December 28, 2021 at 2:21 pm

What are slooks?

Edit: I live in Wyoming in the U.S so that’s why I’m asking.

43. Dreamweaver on December 28, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for all the great tips. I think a drip system would work too. Build a structure to put a rain barrel about 3 to 4 feet off the ground and run rubber tubing (puncture holes 2-3 inches apart on the tubes) throughout the rows. Keep the nozzle on the rain barrel slightly open to allow water to slowly drip out of the tubing. Make sure though that your not creating a soggy environment, just enough water to moisten the soil well, putting wood chips, leaves or pine needles around your plants will help in keeping the soil moist and the ground cool. Placing the tubes closer the to the base of the plants will ensure proper direct watering. Rubber tubing is fairly cheap and it’s a great system to always keep your plants watered. especially in hotter climates. Just keep an eye on your plants for the first week to make sure your plants are getting enough water. A productive and low maintenance system. I would suggest watching videos about this system to make the process easier and done right. Has anyone tried this ?

44. Divinesara Saradivine on December 28, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Wow!thanks for your great vedio, God bless ❤

45. João 00351 933552233 Lisboa, Portugal on December 28, 2021 at 2:24 pm

😉
    🙂 ok, ty. Cuya! …, jump.

46. Linda Tolbert on December 28, 2021 at 2:27 pm

What zone are you gardening in? I’m in the US, eastern Massachusetts.

47. Paul Fernhout on December 28, 2021 at 2:27 pm

dude i really really love your channel—i notice when you do voice overs you are reading the text (at least in some of your vids) consider to still read text but just have 20 words on a page (not word by word) which are used for prompts you will still get your message out and it will sound more natural keep up the great work mate!

48. Curious Cat on December 28, 2021 at 2:27 pm

What is that white netting cover you showed in your video? Do you have a specification

49. Ann Allen on December 28, 2021 at 2:28 pm

I just found your channel and I am so impressed. I live in mid state Florida, USA so we live in such different areas but I picked up many tips. Thank you so much. Ann Allen

50. skeeterburke on December 28, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Watering too late in the evening also encourages fungus because the water doesn’t evaporate quickly enough. But, I have been using colloidal silver as a fungicide on my blackberrys, it’s cheap enough to spray everywhere when you make your own. So no, not ideal to water too late in the evening but a fungicide helps