4 Houseplant Myths We Should Stop Believing

4 Houseplant Myths We Should Stop Believing

Do houseplants really clean the air in your home? Does misting a houseplant really increase the humidity? Let’s look into some of the “common wisdom” in the world of houseplant care and see if it really makes much sense at all.

IN THIS VIDEO

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Other links may be affiliate links in which we receive a commission.

→ The Wolverton Study: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19930072988
→ Review of the Wolverton Study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230460/

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Discord Server: https://discord.gg/cuXxvKRwKN
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

DISCLAIMER

Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. More info on our process: https://www.epicgardening.com/disclaimer/

1. Anonymous Dust on December 30, 2021 at 3:24 pm

With myth #2 I’m not buying it. I had a Dyson fan that read the air quality. There was always horrible pollution from the freeway and train as well as wildfires and ongoing construction. This was all coming in the window at my apartment so I bought a bunch of plants thinking it would help with my lungs. The fan began to report the air quality as almost perfect in the home after that so I think it just depends on what kinds of plants you have and the size of your space. This was a tiny studio apartment so even just a few small trees was enough to make a significant difference.

2. Rick Sanchez on December 30, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Plants might not clean the air but they still produce oxygen. Granted, one little houseplant will produce nowhere near enough to support a human, but hey not all is lost.

3. T& L on December 30, 2021 at 3:26 pm

I do not do house plants. but that has not stopped me form watching the whole thing.

4. Jordan on December 30, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Even though the misting doesn’t do much for humidity, it does help to mist plants so that the leaves can get water directly. It’s best the mist them in the evening though, because water on the plants can magnify the sunlight and burn the leaves.

5. m g on December 30, 2021 at 3:28 pm

wait i don’t understand what’s bad about misting..mist is a form of water which plants need…even if it doesn’t “increase humidity” if you’re misting the soil of a dry plant you are gently watering it right?

6. Phoebe404 on December 30, 2021 at 3:29 pm

I would be interested in knowing the names of the plants that you showcase in your videos. I know you named some of them, but maybe naming them all in the description would be nice added info.

I’ve been trying to figure out the name of the plant that you lifted up at 4:53. I have a variegated variety of that plant and got it as a gift, but no matter where I look on the internet, I can never figure out the name.

7. Deidre Swoope on December 30, 2021 at 3:29 pm

This video broke my heart. 😔 Lol

8. Jordan on December 30, 2021 at 3:30 pm

What’s that plant in the back?

9. Cheezitnator on December 30, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Just live in Florida and grow ferns outside. Humidity problem solved. Not worth increasing humidity inside your house and getting dangerous mold.

10. Keith Pugh on December 30, 2021 at 3:32 pm

You have some really informative videos!

11. Leela Samaroo on December 30, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Oh boy. My dad had the opposite myth. That plants are bad because they use up all the oxygen at night, that why people suffocate in their sleep. Strangest thing I’ve ever heard

12. Laura Bart on December 30, 2021 at 3:34 pm

This is such a great site, you explain things so clearly with logic and experience. I must admit, sometimes my mind drifts off and I just enjoy the sound of your voice and the cadence of your delivery. Not to be weird, I do actually hear what you are saying and I learn something with each video! My parents were educators and broadcasters so I appreciate someone so well spoken as you. Thanks – I’ll keep on listening!

13. BKDDY on December 30, 2021 at 3:37 pm

I just got into gardening this week and already knew the 1st two myths were scams when I seen them.
    LOL I mean its just common sense if people would actually think about it.

14. Hanne Therese on December 30, 2021 at 3:38 pm

Hello🙂🙂. Should I wash my plants with soapy water/olive oil to prevent lice?

15. cars & critters on December 30, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Note to self buy more house plants and make my apartment like one of my bioactive cages got it

16. afinch89 on December 30, 2021 at 3:41 pm

you look like you could be a third property brother. lol

17. Delaney on December 30, 2021 at 3:42 pm

haha it smells like up-pot in here

18. Juneyah on December 30, 2021 at 3:42 pm

I find my rooms are not complete until I add a plant. My Pothos leaves are as large as your hand. Never have I ever. All my plants show off to me. I tell them all how beautiful they are and that I love them as I touch them ever so lightly. My Pitbull is big too. Must be something in the Water. 😆 I love your tone. The care you take as you explain plant care. The atmosphere full of love helps. Children enjoy as well. Peace , Love and you are AMAZING!!!! LIVE AND LOVE Y’ALL!!! It just feels good. Have your favorite desert too.

19. Epic Gardening on December 30, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Any other houseplant myths I should cover?

20. Trippy McHippy on December 30, 2021 at 3:42 pm

I’m on tip 2 and I’m hoping he doesn’t say that talking to your plants doesn’t make them happy.

21. Jennifer L R on December 30, 2021 at 3:45 pm

the plants may not improve filtering air, but they do help filer animal odor. I have a hedgehog who can be quite stinky (they poo and pee all the time when awake). I grew some wheat grass to have in her enclosure, and it illimated the animal smell pretty dramatically, until she dug the grass up. I’d trim the grass to have the smell a bit more stimulating for her, so thats one main reason why her smells were reduced.

22. BlckstarBeauty Purpleprint on December 30, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Do you keep your plants in light 24/7??

23. Brittney B on December 30, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Waring and his colleagues reanalyzed all 195 studies that have examined whether houseplants can filter the air. They found that some types of plants can remove higher amounts of VOCs than others. But once you factor in the effects of working in a large room, none of the plants are able to do much. Smaller rooms, however…. like a bathroom or a bedroom….. plants can be more effective there.

24. spectrumifs on December 30, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Maybe you’ve covered this somewhere but it would be interesting to test if, for example, several houseplants in a bedroom increase the oxygen concentration in that room.

25. Haunterella on December 30, 2021 at 3:46 pm

I like misting some plants to help clean any dust off of the leaves otherwise I don’t mist my plants.
    I’ve found that reusing my water for my orchids really helps them vs fresh clean water every time I water them. My own little observation anyway.

26. pennifold on December 30, 2021 at 3:49 pm

I appreciate the tip about soul volume and repotting- hadn’t heard that one yet, and it makes perfect sense, of course!

27. alifelesordinary on December 30, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Hmmm, I’ve heard that plants can up take water from their leaves, (foliar feeding anyone?), also misting helps keep leaves dust free (more photosynthesis) and my third reason for misting… it fun. 😁

28. Kari A. on December 30, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Hi! I love your channel. Very informative. Quick question- I have heard to not repot into terracotta because it draws out a lot of the moisture, but I see that you have terracotta….. does it make that much of a difference if you are attentive to the moisture?

29. Subject - 1983 on December 30, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Its a big thing to say they arent air purifier’s. They have the tiny green balls that vibrate and make oxygen and stuff? Last i checked co2 is what we exhale. We take in oxygen the plants do it but in a much much slower scale. And mind you the nasa scientist who did the study started studying on plants absorbing and the like. They do filter… but if you want to feel the great fresh air… open a window. The plants exchange co2 and oxygen when it needs energy and it will make its starches stay in the root system, the bigger the system the better and more water and co2 it will play with. Heck even in planted aquariums there are studies that show plants slowly feeding and doing the co2 exchange. But saying they do nothing but just stimulate the mind is pretty sad when fifth grade science class teaches us what the heck plants can do when the sun is up. Just saying… photosynthesis is still a thing, or did we forget that altogether now? Did we cancel culture photosynthesis???!

30. Rob Str on December 30, 2021 at 3:53 pm

How much time do lights have to be on in the winter and are standard LED home lights good enough?

31. Humberto Ferreira on December 30, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Is it true that boiling water with onion peals, letting it cool and spraying it on leafs, will prevent a lot of pests and fungus?

32. Valrie Eisemann on December 30, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Thanks for saving me from spending hours misting my indoor plants 😂

33. Cindy Pham on December 30, 2021 at 3:56 pm

While you were ending the last plant myth you spoke of one right in front of you directly center of camera but you said the name so fast I didn’t catch it. Can you tell me what that green plant with the small leaves are called? Please and thank you.

34. Bertkido on December 30, 2021 at 3:57 pm

How about showing your setup that you have in the background? the shelves with the lights. I would like to do something like that for my plants in the coming winter here in Sweden since it gets very dark and very short day light. Thank you.

35. M W on December 30, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Don’t mist, then mist your plant lol

36. Sailx on December 30, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Another myth broken, max 2-3 plants per room? Nah you can go 50-100

37. Pennywise Six on December 30, 2021 at 4:02 pm

Well, eventhough the plants cleaning air doesn’t make a dent, LoL, they’re still beautiful to keep around and they make you feel comfortable and make you feel better. I think taking care of plants is a great way to reduce anxiety and stress. ☺
    I have a lot of anxiety / stress, and growing plants really helps to distract me from those bad feelings, and makes me feel happy to watch the plants grow. I have several different plants in my bedroom: I have pothos / bamboo plant / spider plant (that has off-shoots that are growing babies) / succulents / aloe vera / petunia.. Yeah.. Quite a few in my bedroom.. 🌷🌷🌷

38. phantasmagoria on December 30, 2021 at 4:05 pm

I have got my grandmother’s 20-year-old Dracaena (I named her Cornelia) that was never misted before. Her leaves were all crumpled up at first when I got her. I thought it is because of her age. However, I started to misting her every day. It didn’t take long and all her leaves get fully restored, smoothed out and very healthy looking. I guess it depends on many factors wether plant needs to be misted or does not. It is never just simple yes or no.
    I live in Central Europe.

39. Undisclosed Username on December 30, 2021 at 4:06 pm

To all my Idiocracy fans, clearly watering plants with energy drinks is not a myth. Because, it has electrolytes.

40. Yareth Upgrade on December 30, 2021 at 4:07 pm

I have tried a mister for plants that turned out to be a wonder! I can humidify, wash the leaves of my plants and foliar feed them. MistMaker is great for my garden. 🌱😃💚

41. Kaito on December 30, 2021 at 4:07 pm

Oh my goodness, I didn’t know that you aren’t supposed to transition plants from their plastic baby containers to the big 12 inch diameter pot. There are two plants in there… is that fine, will they die? Should I re-transition them into something smaller or will that cause them too much stress and kill them?

42. Bacolod & Florida vida loca on December 30, 2021 at 4:08 pm

I am finally subscribing🤗

43. Alannis Cote on December 30, 2021 at 4:10 pm

When I came back from a vacation my plant had some weird discoloration on the stems. One I watered my plant a couple of times kept it in the sun. And it was getting its green vibrant colour back

44. darkinertia2 on December 30, 2021 at 4:12 pm

holy shit i just got into the plant hobby and i thought itd be impossible to find someone thats NOT a woowoo plant owner lol glad to see theres actually people out there that have an analytical head on their shoulders…i do agree itd be nice if plants "clean the air" but now that i think about it, that idea was pretty insane to think would actually work lol

45. Patrick Dunn on December 30, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Great vid. subbed 🙂 . You mentioned that harmful organic compounds in the air can’t be filtered by houseplants because we usually don’t have enough plantlife indoors to do this. What do you think about humity? I live in a basement en suite. Everything in my room is very slightly damp (almost un-noticably.. but i notice it). If i have a bunch of house plants… and keep the watering to a minimum.. will they drink the air? I’ve read about certain tropical plants. and i’d rather have these than have a de-humidifier…. and considering that plants like to drink water and on a "capillary-action" kind of principle.. perhaps this would work better than the harmful compounds idea. What do u think?

46. Jaime Cohen on December 30, 2021 at 4:18 pm

What about: getting a humidifier and running your AC at the same time is a ridiculous thing to do.

47. I have no ass on December 30, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Where did you buy that plant mist 😍

48. creamynoOdles on December 30, 2021 at 4:21 pm

What kinds of plants can you mist? I just bought a expansive mister and now I feel like crying knowing that I can’t use it

49. Dr. Doofenshmirtz on December 30, 2021 at 4:22 pm

if you have a small plant in a big pot and you water where the plant is only, shouldn’t it be okay? you water for the size of the plant not the size of the pot 🤔

50. Felty's Aquaria on December 30, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Misting only works if your houseplants are in terrariums. In terrariums though it’s awesome