DIY | How to Build a Potting Bench / Work Bench | Official Video

DIY | How to Build a Potting Bench / Work Bench | Official Video

This “How To” -DIY video tutorial will show you step by step instructions on how to easily make a potting bench / work bench. Please Subscribe, Like and share this project!
For more details about this project including a shopping list, cut list (includes metric dimensions) and detailed drawings go to https://www.pcowoodcrafting.com/DIY_videos.html and click on the “project details” button in the section containing the potting bench video.
For more info about outdoor woodcrafting visit: https://www.pcowoodcrafting.com/index.html

I “Patrick” would love to hear your comments and even see pictures (by going to my website and clicking my email address) of your potting bench. Thanks for watching.

1. Michael Pennington on December 30, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Thank you Patrick. I made this potting bench by following your instructions, and it came out beautifully. I hope you can make some more videos in the future : ) All the best and thank you again.

2. Brandy Thomas on December 30, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! We followed your instructions and was able to make this fantastic potting bench in one afternoon.

3. Roy on December 30, 2021 at 3:29 pm

Awesome work!! Thank you!

4. Dan Cullinane on December 30, 2021 at 3:30 pm

How much does it weigh? Nice work.

5. Jon Neumann on December 30, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Brilliant, thanks

6. Randy Kniebes on December 30, 2021 at 3:31 pm

THANK YOU!!! THANKYOU!!! My Wife is going to get this for MOTHER’S DAY!!! I made it in a day and half…. WOW!!! For a 68 year old that’s pretty good!!!

7. Roy Jones on December 30, 2021 at 3:31 pm

I love this project and I’m going to do it. I’ve had a really hard time finding the deck boards her in SoCal. Going to have to improvise.

8. Rick Z on December 30, 2021 at 3:31 pm

I really like how you did the video. Has the norm Abrams new yankee workshop kind of feel to it. Since you’re showing the finished piece and explaining details in between clips of you making it

9. Kitty’s Cannable Kitchen on December 30, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Great video, Patrick! The tutorial was great and I appreciated you explaining tool usage. I don’t have all the gadgets, but have put them on my birthday and Christmas wish list. I am substituting wood for up cycled stuff I have on hand. I am physically handicapped, so having a tutorial that makes things easier and organized makes you my new favorite craftsman! I hope to have this project finished in a couple of days and will let you know how I fared!

10. GSimon850 on December 30, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Many thanks for sharing this.

11. Ryan B on December 30, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Awesome video! Great work going step by step through the installation. Mine turned out great 👍

12. Bringer OFpain on December 30, 2021 at 3:34 pm

Also, just got some tools I needed for this project.

13. Sean Campbell on December 30, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Amazing video! Thanks for the attention to detail and easy to follow directions 👍

14. Alf Key on December 30, 2021 at 3:38 pm

5/4 = 1. 1/4 INCHES in pre-decimal UK (1971) ,,.Regards Alf

15. Kevin H on December 30, 2021 at 3:40 pm

Anyone care to share how much they spent on the wood and where they got it from? Lumber yard vs HD or Lowes? Thanks

16. Brandon on December 30, 2021 at 3:40 pm

Quick question. For the 45 degree cut pieces do we cut to your measurements and then give it the 45 cut? Or with cut it’s supposed to be to your measurement? Mahalo 🤙

17. Paul Nelson on December 30, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Thanks Patrick. Easy to follow. Made mine in a day. Love it

18. Holly Boyter on December 30, 2021 at 3:44 pm

I finished my bench tonight and love it! This was my first woodworking project and your step-by-step instruction was easy to follow. I’m excited to pick my next project now! Thanks so much!!

19. Jason Fabela on December 30, 2021 at 3:47 pm

Built this table today with my wife! Very awesome project! Thank you so much for the walk through! Awesome!!!!

20. P-O on December 30, 2021 at 3:48 pm

This is truly "Masterclass" of how a DIY video should be made!
    Greetings from Sweden
    P.s.
    (really handy and thoughtful of you having included the metric figures in the project details!)

21. John B on December 30, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Nice saw horses

22. Gem Bellver on December 30, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Awesome table! Most important your instruction and explanation was magnificent. Great video.

23. brett widenhouse on December 30, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Just made this for my wife’s birthday.
    Excellent instructions.
    Thanks

24. louinwy1 on December 30, 2021 at 3:53 pm

How much does this bad boy weigh?? Takes two men move it?

25. Bruce Kooi on December 30, 2021 at 3:53 pm

His plans worked great! We made our bench out of mostly re-purposed wood. We didn’t even have to make a trip to the hardware store!

26. Bringer OFpain on December 30, 2021 at 3:54 pm

How much you want to bet his wife is Asian

27. EpicRaf on December 30, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Whats wrong with this drill? Looks like it’s struggling 😕

28. Little Rube on December 30, 2021 at 3:58 pm

nice video by far you make look easy ,…that I have a wknd project

29. Jason Fabela on December 30, 2021 at 3:59 pm

I thought you used pressure treated lumber, if that’s the case I was always told to be very careful sanding and cutting it because of the chemicals. Is this not what you have heard?

30. dsassy2000 on December 30, 2021 at 4:02 pm

My son just finished my potting table. I LOVE IT. Thank you.

31. mike falasca on December 30, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Why didn’t you use 5/4 boards for the top shelf ?

32. UnoStarAngler on December 30, 2021 at 4:06 pm

Great video Patrick! Thank you for sharing! I will build this for repotting my bonsai. Have you made bonsai stands or benches before? Would love to see a tutorial on that! Take care. 🙏🏼

33. Plen122 on December 30, 2021 at 4:06 pm

I just found this, thank you! But you know, if you don’t have the jigsaw you could just cut a smaller deck board for the back row, or make the top entirely flat, and then attach a shelf separately on top. But I like the strength of the 4x4s in the back for the shelf

34. Gina Gilbert on December 30, 2021 at 4:08 pm

That was excellent, thanks!

35. Holly Boyter on December 30, 2021 at 4:08 pm

36. Byrkster on December 30, 2021 at 4:09 pm

This is by far the best DIY and how to video I have seen on you tube. Thank you for showing us.

37. Michael Lovetere on December 30, 2021 at 4:10 pm

A nice stain wouldn’t hurt….

38. K G on December 30, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Great video and great bench. I built this Unit 12 inches smaller to fit my space and it is perfect! Your instructions were easy to follow and I learned a lot! Thanks!

39. Dr. John and Yvonne Wagner on December 30, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Thank you for the video. Excellent quality! Great shopping and cut list. I watched many potting bench videos before deciding to use yours. I’m almost done building the bench. Just have to secure the bottom shelf boards (last step for me), then sanding. I made a few modifications for my bench. One of which is using the entire length of the 4x4x8 which made the height of the small shelf at 5′ high in stead of 4′. And I dropped the bottom shelf to just 4" off the ground to give me less leg and more height between the bottom and top shelf. And, I put 1x4s across the back to give me a place to hang small hand gardening tools. Thanks again. I was just wondering, why did you cut the front boards at the bottom to 45 degree angles? Simply for esthetics or was there a reason? I left mine square. Although my bench will be sitting on concrete, in a place where water is no issue, I took your suggestion and added the rubber feet on the bottom of the legs.

40. Josh on December 30, 2021 at 4:12 pm

at todays prices this is an $8000 bench

41. Gus Garcia on December 30, 2021 at 4:12 pm

This man should have a lot more subscribers, great vid and thanks for the pdf plans.

42. Jeffrey Geddes on December 30, 2021 at 4:13 pm

Awesome video! Thanks!

43. Kevin Zari on December 30, 2021 at 4:14 pm

This is a great video. Is there any reason not to use a miter saw ?

44. Sedonia Dragotta on December 30, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Brilliant x

45. Beatriz Boggs on December 30, 2021 at 4:17 pm

excellent

46. Loti Kantor on December 30, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Thank you Sir for this video,I will be making this on my next day off.

47. Jerry Witman on December 30, 2021 at 4:18 pm

I just finished building one of these. We are using it to hold our Aquaponics System and it is EXTREMELY durable. This will hold our fish tanks for years!
    Here is my feedback on the build.
    Parts list and cut dimensions were perfect! I was able to give the list to the gentleman in the lumber section of Lowes and he easily pulled the wood and cut everything but the 4×4 posts and the 45 degree angles. But there is plenty of remnants on the 2x4s to leave a bit extra so I could cut them at home.
    The assembly order was tedious. In hindsight I would have preferred to build the sides first and then working my way up. Putting the top on first and then the bottom rails wasn’t ideal. But everything went together as shown in the video. I built mine as shown in the video.
    The only two modifications we made was the back piece of the top section split when we tried to put it in places. So I just cut the ends flush and screwed it down. The second modification was a 4" hole was drilled through the top on the right side to allow the plumbing of the top grow bed to drip down into the bottom fish tank. The 6" board are still very stable since I only took 2" from the two center boards.
    I would recommend having a door or trap on the top right side of the table to allow people to put a grate or screen on the table for potting. It’s a simple mod and I might do that on my next build. Oh yeah, I will be building at least two more of these if not three. They are perfect work benches!
    Thanks for the plans, great job!

48. 231gareth231 on December 30, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Can I come live with you, I’ll be your garden boy !

49. Max Nassar on December 30, 2021 at 4:19 pm

this dude made the best video of all time and then dipped

50. james on December 30, 2021 at 4:19 pm

I know you are a pro, so things are always easier the more you do them, but I was wondering why you didn’t use a level and for that matter glue? I am always worried they (whatever they are) aren’t going to be leve.
    Thanks!