Ten things you must do if you get a polycarbonate greenhouse. This advise is bourn of experience.

I give you this advise now bourn of experience and wish someone had given it to me before I built my Polycarbonate greenhouse. Trying to rescue a greenhouse at night when it’s raining and blowing a gale is no fun.

Ten things you must do if you’re getting a polycarbonate greenhouse.
1. Make the assumption that you’re going to lose some of it in the first strong wind if you don’t take this advise.
2. Choose a site that’s as site where your greenhouse is protected from the wind as best it can be.
3. Put a good heavy base down and fix your greenhouse too it but in any case you need your greenhouse fixed to the ground to stop it blowing away.
4. When you start the build if the instructions say it’s a two man build, it’s really four man build or better still get an octopus on the job.
5. The greenhouse is at its weakest when its half built so no stopping. This is a start to finish job that takes as long as it takes.
6. Building on a windy day is impossible, building in a light breeze possible but dead calm is best.
7. Aluminium nuts ‘pick up’ on Aluminium bolts if you over tighten them. To remove that nut will require you snap that bolt. This could lead to a shortage of nuts and bolts.
8. You are likely to be advised by the manufacturer to run a bead of mastic where the edge of the polycarbonate sheets meet the frame. Mastic not provided and only if you want too. My advice the more mastic the more likely your sheets will not blow out. Mastic the lot or use runs of sticky tape.
9. You may also want to add some strength across the walls and roof, I used domestic tile edging strips. They come in 8 foot lengths and have holes along their length that you can align with the slots in your frame.
Your remaining weaknesses are your door and your window. If either blown out, it could be
‘good night Vienna’ for your greenhouse so let’s deal with these last two weaknesses.
10. Fastening your door shut at night and do the same during the day if there is a strong wind, should take care of it. Fastening your window shut at night and doing the same during the day if there is a strong wind, should take care of it.

1. WeAreGodsInFormation on December 30, 2021 at 3:25 pm

2. Lord Condio on December 30, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for the great tips. We are just starting to build our new polycarbonate greenhouse and it will need to be strengthened like you have done. (The polycarbonate we were supplied with is only 1.5mm thick!!!). Happy gardening and stay safe Sir

3. Ni ni on December 30, 2021 at 3:28 pm

I bought one of these green houses today. Thank you for all your advice!

4. mark t old garden gnome on December 30, 2021 at 3:32 pm

All great advice Jim.
    TYFS, Mark and Rosa

5. Phil Smith on December 30, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Two things learnt here
    1: I must be a faster than average reader
    2: No water comes out of the top spout position

6. Farm Your Backyard on December 30, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Good morning, Jim! ☀️ I bought a poly carbonate cold frame a year ago. There was no octopus for hire at the time that I put it together, but I agree that I wish there had been. It took me two days to put it together in my garage before moving it out. It lasted one season before the Oklahoma wind ripped it out of the ground where I had buried it and wrapped it around a tree.

7. Ken Tyner on December 30, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Hmm! Wonder how those commercial folks hold up with plastic film? If I were a plant in your greenhouse I would be scarred to death.

8. Noga on December 30, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Would a good polytunnel be any better? Also in a windy spot

9. Gordon on December 30, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Hi Jim, Hope you had an enjoyable safe Christmas. I can appreciate the video, I have built 2 greenhouses 8ft x 6ft and 12ft 6in x 10ft and not only should one build in calm dry weather but READ the instructions. eventually, they were both built but I am delighted with the results, more importantly, I still have them.
    Thanks for your video Jim
    Gordon, Halifax

10. Robert Meakings on December 30, 2021 at 3:39 pm

I lost my polly greenhouse it went flying into the farmers field.
    I wish I had seen this video first
    Great content keep your videos coming

11. YourHighness PotatoeLord on December 30, 2021 at 3:40 pm

OMG! Where do you live man? In tornado alley? 🙂

12. Christine Brooks on December 30, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Love your videos 🙂

13. Aaron on December 30, 2021 at 3:42 pm

I own a 10×12 greenhouse it holds up to the strongest winds so far. If you feel crazy enough you can tap holes in frame to bolt the panels into

14. Aaron on December 30, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Great tips. I built a wooden frame inside the whole greenhouse is tied together with 4×4 post and 2×4 connecting length to with and the gables. This allows me to hang my hops, hanging plants or whatever I need.

15. Sarah O'Donnell on December 30, 2021 at 3:44 pm

I’m still laughing at the Octopus. 🤣😂 so true hubby n I built ours together a good few years ago, it’s tucked up against a wall and has high trellis on one side. I did not know about the watering can Brilliant top tips. Thank You

16. Rachel Hybrid on December 30, 2021 at 3:44 pm

Brilliant!! Thankyou.🙏🌹

17. Simplify Gardening on December 30, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Its for putting the rose on to store it

18. Bill & Val's Allotment's on December 30, 2021 at 3:46 pm

I’ve got two of these greenhouse and in all the 10 years I’ve only ever lost two sheets , mine are screwed in place as well as clips and door has lock on it or id lose the produce inside it. All best Bill and val

19. Amy Stabler on December 30, 2021 at 3:47 pm

Saw your tile trim before so got plenty of that, went a bit ott probably but don’t care. Also used glazing tape in and out and silicone over the edges and clips.

20. william dodd on December 30, 2021 at 3:47 pm

I think I had every problem you mentioned when building my first polycarbonate greenhouse about 5 years ago. I did it on my own…Doh!, so only had it half finished when I went to bed, so I had to pick the pieces up in the morning. I siliconed all the panels inside and out and haven’t lost a panel. What has happened though, and I wonder if any of your viewers has had this, is that literally hundreds of small holes have appeared on the outer layer. I haven’t a clue what caused it and it’s only on the roof panels. I’m changing them out for glass next week.

21. B Brine on December 30, 2021 at 3:50 pm

The devil really is in the details! Awesome info…thanks for sharing and saving so many others the headaches!

22. bee on December 30, 2021 at 3:51 pm

I am so happy to see this video. I am looking to purchase a greenhouse and appreciate your advice. I will make sure that mastic does go on the panels to hold. The watering can is awesome. I have not seen one sold where I shop that has that holder on there for the sprinkler. Good day to you.

23. Tom Tom on December 30, 2021 at 3:51 pm

I never would have know that. Thanks I won’t be acquiring one of those lethal greenhouses.

24. Patrick Galla on December 30, 2021 at 3:52 pm

I followed your struggles with your greenhouse..good advice. I remember how big the container you recieved and the length of the greenhouse structure rails.

25. David Cunningham on December 30, 2021 at 3:53 pm

did anyone else read the ten things in their head with the accent? Jokes aside some good advice thanks.

26. dave holden on December 30, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Builders band siliconed to the outside,all panes fastened to steel bars with silicone on the inside. This turned a very loud drumkit to a soft murmur in 60 mph winds.

27. Polar Stern on December 30, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Die Menschen werden nur verarscht mit so einem Schrott und alle sind machtlos dagegen (Gewächshaus). Hauptsache man hat schnell Kohle gemacht mit geringsten Aufwand. Der Hinweis an der Gießkanne ist gut!

28. Αννα on December 30, 2021 at 3:54 pm

So glad I’ve seen your video!! I live on Corfu and am just starting to build a new greenhouse with poly carbonate in mind, I am now re thinking! My old greenhouse was built by my dad and myself and we used anglenirons, plenty of bolts, wood andfibreglass for covering and it has lasted almost 30 years. I live in a very windy area so it has to be strong, my nephew wants to use glass but I am dubious and am re thinking fibre glass yet again, the problem is getting hold of it out here!! An ongoing problem!! Thanks for your tips!

29. Tracey James on December 30, 2021 at 3:57 pm

I got a same size greenhouse but it got glass panels in it when the wind come and rain don’t break the glass . had it for years fix to ground glass is better

30. Gareth Holden on December 30, 2021 at 3:57 pm

I wish we’d seen this last year !!!
    I’m still chuckling at the the mess we had last year. I’ve picked up a few tips so hopefully we won’t have a repeat

31. Jim Kershner on December 30, 2021 at 3:58 pm

I have one similar from Harbor Freight. I built mine on a 2×12 frame then added bench’s on each side. Really strengthens the frame

32. Randy Felts on December 30, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Thanks just about to put one up.

33. Jessica Z on December 30, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Yep ask me how I know.

34. RPH Jacobs on December 30, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Great video sir! I am looking into building my own polycarbonate greenhouse because I cannot afford the kits. This was great information!

35. notahotshot on December 30, 2021 at 4:02 pm

I did not have the patience to read your video, it’s just not a format I enjoy. I let the video play through just the same, and gave it a like. Thank you for placing the ten points in the description.

36. Aaron P on December 30, 2021 at 4:05 pm

The knob is for the rose that sounds painful

37. James Godwin on December 30, 2021 at 4:05 pm

I can certainly relate to this! My made in China model took me several weeks to assemble, including 4 trips back to the retailer to pick up missing parts or return wrong parts. I’m in Canada, so each trip was approx 100 miles. First winter storm, both doors blew off and several panels ended up in the neighbour’s yard. Since then we have covered it in the winter with a heavy tarp tied down with strong ropes.All 4 roof hatches no longer work and leak badly on a rainy day. Other than that, everything works fine!

38. Toys In The Closet Shop on December 30, 2021 at 4:05 pm

tile edging strips: Brilliant! How do you fasten your automatic windows closed when it’s windy but hot?

39. RoseThistleArtworks on December 30, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Well, that’s neat about the watering can.

40. WhatwouldPICARDdo Makeitso on December 30, 2021 at 4:12 pm

Thank you for sharing. I didn’t know about the watering can 💦 lol . Thank you for the tips I’ve got my 1st greenhouse coming in a month and trying to get tips .I appreciate your advice and privileged to of found you I’ve 👍🏻🔔 and look forward to watching your videos .👍🏻💛🤍🇬🇧

41. Wendy Kent-Bracken on December 30, 2021 at 4:14 pm

SO grateful to see your videos on the greenhouse. In the process of re-building one. Had no choice but to stop for months after erecting 4 walls only and no door. Now I’m tearing it down and starting again. Don’t no whether to laugh or cry after seeing your videos!

42. SGDC DC on December 30, 2021 at 4:15 pm

Thank you very much for your valuable advice. I wish I could like this video 10 times over 😊🙏😊

43. OroWizard on December 30, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Thank god I procrastinate. I started a huge 32 x 40 x 10′ greenhouse attached to my southern house wall last year and just barely go started framing. Now, I will make sure to super reinforce it. Also, my wife and I love your accent. I am from Texas.

44. LIFE IS GOOD on December 30, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Clear silicone it into the slots. Throw a cord over at each rafter and tighten to ground anchors, use the dog tie down screw type. Track the path of most storms and face a corner into the wind to cut it.
    Love your voice. Be well.

45. GlynGetOutside on December 30, 2021 at 4:17 pm

use rubber washered self drilling screws to secure each panel to the ali frame

46. Ed19601 on December 30, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Another youtuber, Great Scott, tells the tale of how his new polycarbonate greenhouse was turned into a heap of crumpled aluminium just in one night. It is no fun so yes secure it

47. Bill LAUGHLIN on December 30, 2021 at 4:22 pm

So…. If you’re building one of these in Arizona during monsoon season, DONT !
    Wait till the monsoon season ends.?

48. Allotmental on December 30, 2021 at 4:22 pm

My friend puts a few bungee ropes around the greenhouse.

49. Timothy Howell on December 30, 2021 at 4:22 pm

I cannot shut my window in sunshine, it just gets too hot, as lon as it is on the catch ok. I have lost my window a couple of times, even when it is breezy. I put my polycarbonate gr on a concrete base, that has a least stopped the whole thing from blowing away. The base is starting to rust after nearly twenty years so may have to consider buying a new one soon. Poly is great if there is danger from balls of any sort, but toughened glass probably better still. I think the poly that I have with a double wall probably provides some insulation.
    Nice to see we are not the only ones to be making repairs at odd times. It is also permanently taped in some places. All the best for the year ahead.

50. Simple Tek on December 30, 2021 at 4:24 pm

we learn by trying!!! loved the video, I’ve made sooo many mistakes myself. makes for some funny videos ;). cheers from Canada!