10 HOT SUMMER garden FLOWERS that take the HEAT – plus TIPS for WHEN and HOW to plant them

Wondering which flowers can take the heat during an Arizona summer? Attract pollinators and add beauty to your yard and garden by planting heat-loving summer flowers. Learn the best times to plant them and whether to plant from seed or transplant.

Take a look at what I’m growing and planting to get my Mesa, Arizona garden ready for summer.

The video includes tips for how to grow sunflowers, how to grow vinca, how to grow red salvia, how to grow blue salvia, how to grow rudbeckia, how to grow globe amaranth, how to grow zinnias, how to grow coreopsis, how to grow cosmos, how to grow angelonia, along with lisianthus, four o’clock, gaillardia, Mexican sunflower, and Mexican hat flower.

10 Flowers that Love Hot Summers:

10 Flowers that Love Hot Summers – and How to Grow Them

How to Grow Zinnias:

How to grow Zinnias – 5 Tips for Growing Zinnias

How to Grow Sunflowers:

How to Grow Sunflowers

10 Ways to Help Your Garden Survive Summer: https://growinginthegarden.com/10-ways-to-help-your-garden-survive-summer/
Summer Gardening in Arizona:

Summer Gardening in Arizona

SUPPORT GROWING IN THE GARDEN
Amazon Shop: https://www.amazon.com/shop/growinginthegarden
Buy Harvest Calendar: https://growinginthegarden.bigcartel.com/product/perpetual-planting-and-harvest-calendar-for-the-low-desert-of-arizona
Seeds: Seeds Now https://www.seedsnow.com/?rfsn=275008.6345c
Botanical Interest seeds:
Watering Grids: https://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=1897453&u=2736599&m=118440&urllink=&afftrack=
Use code ANGELA10 to save $10 off $100
Growing in the Garden Raised Bed Mix at Arizona Worm Farm: https://arizonawormfarm.com/

LEARN MORE
More places to find and learn from Growing in the Garden
Blog: https://growinginthegarden.com/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/growinginthegarden
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/growing.in.the.garden/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/growinginthegardenaz/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/growinthegarden/_created/
Thanks for watching!

1. 王若冰 on January 4, 2022 at 2:01 pm

Cosmos: tolerates poor soil, avg conditions, neglect🥲 damn

2. Tabitha Adams on January 4, 2022 at 2:01 pm

Coneflowers love heat

3. Melanie Guajardo on January 4, 2022 at 2:02 pm

What kind of soil do you plant your sunflowers in? Mine all died.

4. Ghadah Kaleel on January 4, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Is 4 o clock best from seed or transplant?

5. Christina Staroschak on January 4, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Hi! I absolutely love your channel. Just moved to az so it is incredibly helpful!
    Any solutions for birds eating away zinnias? I feel like I’ve tried it all! Thanks again!

6. Vinh Le on January 4, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Thank you.

7. jasmine vee on January 4, 2022 at 2:06 pm

Very helpful, thank you! 😌 planning on surprising my mom this mother’s day by adding more of her fabe beautiful flowers to her garden since she can’t afford all the ones she loves, too many! Most of these are her faves😁

8. Miriam Stewart on January 4, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Love your channel! I always learn something new. I would love to see more videos on growing flowers in AZ if possible. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge on gardening has helped me out so much

9. Sweet Pea's Paper Products on January 4, 2022 at 2:08 pm

My lavender died in 1/2 day.

10. Claudia Jones on January 4, 2022 at 2:08 pm

11. Maria Lim on January 4, 2022 at 2:09 pm

Hello from Toronto.
    Thanks for the tips and lessons.

12. Janice Dias on January 4, 2022 at 2:10 pm

Well now I know y the zinnia died on me…😌
    Even the Rabbits Paw or Creeping Daisies & Portulaca do well in the summer heat ( just FYI)…😅
    Cz we have these planted here in the UAE all along streets and places that are bare and get the scorching sun.. 💚🙋🏻

13. Jerris Richards on January 4, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Very informational, thank you for sharing. I love your videos and garden.

14. Richard Williams IV on January 4, 2022 at 2:12 pm

I wonder if these would translate to SW Fl. Every year it gets hotter and hotter.

15. Secret Squirrel on January 4, 2022 at 2:13 pm

Excellent info very helpful for desert weather Gardening

16. Theresa Chiorazzi on January 4, 2022 at 2:14 pm

Thank you it was very informative to get your know how love these flowers.

17. Br M on January 4, 2022 at 2:14 pm

What?!! You have Lovebirds?

18. John Smith on January 4, 2022 at 2:16 pm

I’m in northern AZ and having a hard time. Thank you for this

19. Adriana on January 4, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Hi Angela! Do you start your Lisianthus from seed? I love their look but am wondering if transplants or seeds are better. If transplants are better would you mind sharing where you purchase your transplants from please? Thank you and have a great weekend! 💕

20. Glenda Riggs on January 4, 2022 at 2:18 pm

how do you keep grasshoppers from eating your flowers

21. YO YO on January 4, 2022 at 2:19 pm

Muy great👌🏿

22. TheNumberLast on January 4, 2022 at 2:22 pm

I live in Australia in 42 – 46 degrees temperature. I don’t think these will cut it.

23. Green Fit Family on January 4, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Very interesting video! 🙂 I bet the insects have a great time in your garden.

24. Karla Hernandex on January 4, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Hi Question what is the vine in back of you and does it do good in the heat?

25. Adriana on January 4, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Hi Angela! Are dahlias something that can be grown in Arizona? I haven’t had any luck finding information online. I’m zone 9b. Is there no way to grow them here? Is it the soil? Heat? I saw on the UofA flower planting guide for the low desert and I see dahlias listed but it’s listed as difficulty to grow. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

26. Kim hadlock on January 4, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Hello! I just started gardening and I was wondering about Lisianthus. I only have one stem blooming 3-4 flowers should I have trimmed it back to get more stems? And is it too late to do that now? I appreciate the help!

27. Mumbai Balcony Gardener | Vlogs and More on January 4, 2022 at 2:35 pm

I am so happy to be here ❤️ . I follow you on insta but somehow I didn’t know you have a you tube channel .

Got to know about your channel from the video that One Arizona Garden just posted .
    Will be watching all your videos 👌👌.

I garden in a very hot and humid environment in Mumbai , India and find Arizona gardens fascinate me .

28. graciela sainz on January 4, 2022 at 2:36 pm

Where can I buy the seeds ?

29. Vũ - Cuộc sống sa mạc Arizona ở Mỹ on January 4, 2022 at 2:36 pm

Great channel. I grow a tropical fruit trees forest in my yard, recently been slowly adding flowers to it to makes the wife happy. Do you by chance sell some seeds combo containing most of these flowers? I don’t need much, just a bit of each. Thanks.

30. Leidy Cachaplita on January 4, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Thank for such informative video!

31. Holly Lisa on January 4, 2022 at 2:40 pm

Great list. Extremely helpful

32. Jaya Chakladar on January 4, 2022 at 2:41 pm

Love your videos. Very very helpful ! Can I ask where you got your arbor from ? Is that redwood ? Thanks.

33. Ann Stclair on January 4, 2022 at 2:42 pm

I am living in the caribbean. What cut flower can grow in heat. Thank you.

34. Mumbai Balcony Gardener | Vlogs and More on January 4, 2022 at 2:44 pm

I’m re watching this video today for some inspiration and thinking what will do well in our heat with 3 hours sun which is all I can give for flowers . Prime spots are reserved for tomatoes and peppers .
    I have had success with dwarf marigolds , vinca , blue lobelia , clasping coneflower and alyssum too , my garden being south facing gets sun only in the 2nd half of the year. Will try Snapdragon .
    My all time favourite easy ones for the bees are mustard and basil .

35. Alina D on January 4, 2022 at 2:46 pm

Also dwarf dahlias and crown of thorns. I had lisianthus but it died. Lantanas like hot sun, butterflies like them too.

36. Sislertx on January 4, 2022 at 2:46 pm

Black foot.daisy almost hates water and loves heat. And blooms like.crazy and no.dead heading.

37. Cathleen on January 4, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Well done!

38. Dee Daw on January 4, 2022 at 2:53 pm

Was wondering, have you done blueberries, blackberries or raspberries? How do they do with the AZ heat?

39. Smruti Lipi on January 4, 2022 at 2:53 pm

What a meticulous presentation!!!

40. SIDHU HI TECH NURSERY ABOHAR on January 4, 2022 at 2:53 pm

Lovely gardening

41. Clara on January 4, 2022 at 2:54 pm

Thanks a lot ,all your videos are exelentets!!

42. Loren Heard on January 4, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Thanks! Maybe I won’t accidently kill those plants now with some great advice!😉☘

43. Little Pink Casa on January 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm

I’m so glad I found you. We live in the same area and I desperately need all your advice because I love flowers, gardening but just don’t know how to do it in hot Arizona! Thank you. I’m looking forward to learning more from your videos to create the english garden I’ve always wanted!