Enclosed Raised Garden Beds – DIY Gardening Project

Enclosed Raised Garden Beds – DIY Gardening Project

In this video I show how I made raised garden beds that are built to keep out animals, critters and pests that would try to eat my garden. I also show how my garden performed this year and what I would have done differently if I were to build them again.

If you liked this video be sure to like and subscribe and check out the other videos on my channel. You can also subscribe by clicking on this link: https://www.youtube.com/diywithdave?sub_confirmation=1

1. Neural Glitch on January 4, 2022 at 4:19 pm

Plant lots of catnip for cucumber beetles. It seems to keep them away pretty well……

2. PHOENIX FIRE on January 4, 2022 at 4:21 pm

I hope you don’t mind me saying so but you are a very good husband and father. Love the craftsmanship!

3. Maria Leon on January 4, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Great video

4. Kevin Robinson on January 4, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Did you say your from PA?

5. judith goforth on January 4, 2022 at 4:25 pm

I make a spray with dawn dish soap and water to get rid of bugs

6. Maxine on January 4, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Sorry I spelt it wrong NEEM OIL, ALSO PEPPERMINT

7. Ms. Farmgirl on January 4, 2022 at 4:27 pm

A raised bed, that just had DIRTY dumped over the lawn into the box? Why on earth wouldn’t you have taken the sod out first, and put a gardeners liner in the bottom so the weeds can’t come up? The grass is going to grow right up through the soil!! The Dirt DOES NOT KILL IT. It only takes longer to grow up through it.
    NO mesh on the top of the cages? Do you think squirrels and birds and such can’t figure that out? This is just nonsense.

8. Johns Video on January 4, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Its a box. Plenty have shown a box. The great twist you got here is adding the chicken wire to the bottom. That is a great idea. Honestly you should add Rabbit and wood chuck proofing to your title. Probably get more hits. And yeah you need doors. If you are going that far may want a roof and add deer resistance to the list. Nice job.

9. Maxine on January 4, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Look up need oil for bugs

10. kimberly bahrs on January 4, 2022 at 4:31 pm

Beautiful

11. Frances Mingo on January 4, 2022 at 4:34 pm

Liked your video. Hope you are living a good life in 2021. This is the first year in 4 years of gardening that I don’t have a garden. Last year was hard and I lost everything. I couldn’t keep the bugs away and my plants were eaten. Maybe I’ll try next year.

12. Charles Smith on January 4, 2022 at 4:35 pm

This was a great video. I hope to see more.

13. cliff lester on January 4, 2022 at 4:35 pm

GET A SHOTGUN!

14. Larry Stone on January 4, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Good video good job enjoyed it rhx for sharing Be safe God Bless

15. Lady Queen on January 4, 2022 at 4:40 pm

Very informative video! You’re a natural! You have a nice family, also!I subscribed!

16. cliff lester on January 4, 2022 at 4:41 pm

I bet you could drink the whole can! LOL!

17. Robin Stephens on January 4, 2022 at 4:41 pm

Should of used hardware cloth on the bottom

18. Michael Worley on January 4, 2022 at 4:43 pm

Hey love the Teal Themed Colors but also consider building a treehouse over just a house that tears down the forest. Trees should be building blocks no tearing blocks. It can be funky and swirlyio just needs a bit of adjusting imagination and blueprinting and there we go and inventive you might get more followers because your not just helping humanity but your helping the World. We are not only making channels grow but It inspire others to experiment and YouTube Channels will grow when we choose to help the world 2 ways in one stone. Building a tree house and putting gardens in it. It can maybe make new species

19. johnnycakes8300 on January 4, 2022 at 4:45 pm

This guy is cool, great guy thank you for the guide brotha!

20. Rebekah Grier on January 4, 2022 at 4:46 pm

GENIUS. I’m having such an issue with squirrels and this might be my permanent solution. Thank you!

21. Bianca Rose on January 4, 2022 at 4:47 pm

What kind of sprayer did you use with the lindseed oil? Thanks. Great video.

22. Wanda Mann Smith on January 4, 2022 at 4:47 pm

Great video! Has it been effective? (Deer are my main issue)

23. Zuza Uramek on January 4, 2022 at 4:47 pm

why not built enclose for whole raised beds like a few big cages? Then you can grow tomatoes who want to grow high.

24. judith goforth on January 4, 2022 at 4:48 pm

WOW!!! nice job love them

25. Nate S on January 4, 2022 at 4:50 pm

I might have missed it but what is the thickness of the board 1” or 2”?

26. Bella on January 4, 2022 at 4:50 pm

Brilliant… Iam going to attempt this!

27. Christine B on January 4, 2022 at 4:50 pm

What kind of staple gun do you have? Trying to do this with cedar and wondering if I can do it with a hand staple gun or if I need an electric one

28. charles kessel on January 4, 2022 at 4:51 pm

Being a complete novice at doing any do it yourself projects it would be extremely helpful if you listed all the tools needed to complete this project so I can endeavor to do this well tooled.

29. Brenda Allers on January 4, 2022 at 4:51 pm

What a awesome clever idea!

30. Ambee Honeykissed on January 4, 2022 at 4:53 pm

These are great ! Thank you ! 🌺✨

31. Selena Thinking Out Loud on January 4, 2022 at 4:53 pm

This is a great idea and for me this is nice and neat. I was wondering about the height too, but for my smaller veggies, I could use this too. Thanks for sharing 👍🏽

32. jeff quartuccio on January 4, 2022 at 4:54 pm

for your cucumber zucchini bug issue, read up on companion planting such as some herbs planted beside those attacked could ward off those bugs and a homemade pepper spray could chase other insects away have a great day.

33. Adora B on January 4, 2022 at 4:55 pm

I had some success with a similar project in zone 5 winter gardening using plastic on sides secured with stapled furring strips and a hoop of fence on top secured to frame, just like yours with zip ties. The wire fence edges were jagged on plastic and on fleece. I have expermented with duck tape, it’s effective but ugly. I am thinking about a rubberized paint just on rough edges. Anyway, if you screw in eyelets along bottom sides of raised bed and run rope over the top of the whole thing it secures the top and sides. I used the quick release knots, so i coukd easily tighten and loosen as needed, that is a must. I used more furring strips on sides with rows of plastic and a layer of fleece underneath along the hoop style roof to give warmth and allow some ventilation and water to pass to plants on warm/sunny days. I have 20 of these beds and it was too much to vent and water so, it was essential. I only grew kale, mizuna, winter lettuce brussel sprouts and spinach. They all survived weeks of frozen snow, but nothing thrived until this first march thaw. I planted everything in September ladt year. I am planning spiring vegetables now. I think next year i am going to cover beds with plastic in Feb to achieve early soil warming and put everything up in march to get a 2 month jump on spring crops.

34. Nate S on January 4, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Thanks I bought a house and are going to follow your design for my garden this weekend

35. Suzy Cowan on January 4, 2022 at 4:59 pm

Hi, I had the same problem with bugs in my garden last season. I recently watched a video where they wrapped the cages in Muslim cloth so that the flies and cabbage moths could not lay their eggs on the vegetables but the breeze and rain can still get through. It is what I am going to try this year. I also grow my tomatoes in buckets and cage them in to not only keep critters out but to manage the growth. I just wanted to share that with you. Good luck and Happy Gardening…

36. Jason Grenier on January 4, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Please tell me the dimensions of the wood you used to build the cage.

37. Loan Nguyen on January 4, 2022 at 5:01 pm

would it make more sense to build large protected green house and u don’t have to worry about individual growled inside.

38. Ivy Marcelle on January 4, 2022 at 5:03 pm

The best video I’ve seen so far about protecting those raised beds from critters!

39. Richaiegan TVBox on January 4, 2022 at 5:03 pm

Great video, well done.

40. Iyeet Security on January 4, 2022 at 5:03 pm

I put out homemade landmines, but since I did it while halfway down a bottle of Beam, I don’t remember where they are. Now I can’t go in my yard ever again.

41. Snowy Bear on January 4, 2022 at 5:04 pm

This is a damn good idea for squash beds, use window screen instead and just make one side open, maybe a little taller. Thanks for the idea! I’ll give you credit when I make the video!

42. CityBoyFarming on January 4, 2022 at 5:05 pm

well, I learned something new. Thank you sir!

43. Cheryl Daniels on January 4, 2022 at 5:07 pm

You can learn how to make some organic pesticide to keep bugs off of your plants. Look on the internet – go to Google to find organic pesticide that you can make!

44. Brian Hanson-Harding on January 4, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Great idea for the existing raised beds I have that were devastated by @#$% squirrels last season. What were the dimensions of the wood you used? I’m trying to do this with 2x2s but am having a hard time joining them securely.

45. ann marie noone on January 4, 2022 at 5:11 pm

Don’t forget that your zucchini flowers need to be pollinated. Bees and other insects need to get to the flowers or you will have to hand pollinate. Watch a few videos about squash bugs, you can collect the eggs off the leaves to help cut down on damage.

46. Guitar Zan on January 4, 2022 at 5:12 pm

Thanks for sharing ! I made 16’x5′ raised beds but buried 8′ landscape timbers 2′ under for all 4 corners and the middle of each long side (6 total). My "doors" are on both long sides but it is simply stretched 4′ tall chicken wire between 2 2×2’s separated in the middle (4 doors total). Works great for harvest and weeding. I have pole beans and mators so there is no "ceiling". This keeps the worst, deer and rabbit’s, out of the garden. I wish I could post a picture of them here. also I surround the entire border with marigolds for animal repellent. I like the parts of your vid where theres no music and I can hear what’s being said.

47. Jan Ellis on January 4, 2022 at 5:12 pm

If you have had squash vine borers, they may now be in your soil, which sucks! Otherwise I would cover with floating row cover and hand pollinate or have a squash box that is covered with screen. Summer squash are prolific producers.

48. Danielle on January 4, 2022 at 5:14 pm

@DIYDave Great video. Next time consider putting cardboard on the bottom before filling with dirt. It helps kill the grass, prevent weeds and attracts worms 🪱.

49. Jaime Drew on January 4, 2022 at 5:18 pm

You could split the cages in half and hinge on both sides so they open like a book. Cool build.

50. Jimmy Li on January 4, 2022 at 5:19 pm