Edible Perennial Gardening – Plant Once, Harvest for Years

Edible Perennial Gardening – Plant Once, Harvest for Years

About half of my allotment garden is dedicated to temperate climate perennial edibles — vegetables, fruit, berries, and herbs that I’ve planted once, and can rely on for harvests every year. In this video, I show you some of the ones I grow, and a few others at the allotment. I also share some of their benefits and how I grow them in the garden and containers. There’s even a perennial that many people know as a common annual crop!

If you’re new to edible perennial gardening, think of it this way. Instead of sowing seeds every spring, perennials regrow each year, providing an easy, and often very early crop. Perennial edibles are also low-maintenance, long-lived, and save both time and money in the productive vegetable garden.

🌿 Question for you: Do you have any perennial edibles in your garden? Any ones that are very unique? We’d love to hear about them!

🌿 Further information
• Grow Egyptian Walking Onions https://lovelygreens.com/how-to-grow-egyptian-walking-onions/
• How to grow Oca, the New Zealand Yam https://lovelygreens.com/how-to-grow-oca-new-zealand-yam/
• Perennial Edibles https://lovelygreens.com/7-perennial-fruit-and-vegetables/
• Nine Star Broccoli images are from this piece by the Backyard Larder

🌿 Preorder my new book, A Woman’s Garden: https://lovelygreens.com/a-womans-garden-grow-beautiful-plants-and-make-useful-things/

🌿 Get my Calendula for Skincare Ebook: https://lovelygreens.com/calendula-a-guide-to-growing-using-it-in-skin-care/

➤ If you enjoy this video please give it a thumbs up and subscribe (thank you!)
➤Remember to TURN ON notifications to know when new videos are out. Just click the little bell icon next to the subscribe button.
➤ Subscribe to my newsletter → https://www.subscribepage.com/lovelygreens
➤ My Amazon Shop* → https://www.amazon.com/shop/lovelygreens

🌿 FIND LOVELY GREENS ONLINE
◆ LEARN MORE: http://lovelygreens.com/p/about.html
◆ INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/lovely.greens/
◆ TWITTER: https://twitter.com/LovelyGreens
◆ FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/lovely.greens.iom/

*Lovely Greens is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Basically, I make a small commission if you end up making a purchase. Thank you for your support.

#permaculture #vegetablegarden #gardeningtips

1. David Button on January 6, 2022 at 3:15 pm

🎀🤟🎀🤟. Good range. Thankyou

2. J.M.R.F on January 6, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Thank you, gracia’s.

3. Peach on January 6, 2022 at 3:17 pm

For someone in Britain, you have a very North American accent.

4. Mark Fukkerberg on January 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Thank you. You have a lovely bush ❤️

5. Owen Whitman on January 6, 2022 at 3:22 pm

Don’t forget Leeks and Carrots. They overwinter quite well in my 6b plot.

6. aliali benali on January 6, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Thank you so much. it was amazing video and very well way to explain things for us , that’s fantastique

7. Charles Carabott on January 6, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Yes zone handiness and climate is the most important thing in gardening. I find one of my best perinials is the prickly pear cactus in my 11a zone. I have months of free fruit without any work except collecting them. Another low maintaince periniel I have success in is moringa.

8. Norma Varkki on January 6, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Elder is another good perennial. I use both the flowers to make a lovely cordial and the berries are also very good medicinally for the winter months. Autumn olives or known as silver berries as well are also great but they could take over your garden so I tend to forage for those. Sumac is another.

9. Maria Gillinson on January 6, 2022 at 3:27 pm

How do you maintain the blackberries bushes? Do you can them back or just prune it a bit?

10. ItsJustMe on January 6, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I’ve not been able to find seeds for the 9 Star Broccoli anywhere but one place in Canada and they don’t ship to the USA. 😩
    Thank you for a great video!

11. bari bär on January 6, 2022 at 3:28 pm

my mangold is growing for 5 years now.

12. S & L G on January 6, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Wonderful important information during times of uncertainty. Thank you!!! And your garden is beautiful! ❤ from Florida, 🇺🇸

13. Heather Petersen on January 6, 2022 at 3:30 pm

*cries in zone 4*

14. injusticehurley on January 6, 2022 at 3:31 pm

Mashua, babington leeks, walkies leeks, multiplier onions, everlasting onions, elephant garlic, hablitzia, skirret & perennial kales are good ones too. 👍

15. Gina Kohl on January 6, 2022 at 3:33 pm

Thank you for your very informative video. Are u familiar with SouthWestern Oregon? Im brand new in growing and feel like there’s SO MANY DIFFERENT suggestions or information out here. So much so that I’m overwhelmed and confused. I started basil, successfully and chives. Peppermint and lavender also I hv been successful. But, green pepper and cucumbers hv not been successful at all! Tomatoes are easy here but I hv arthritis and am not supposed to eat them, sadly.
    I just wish I had clear instructions for what, when, how and where and what all is perennial and what is not. My husband built me a greenhouse. Naive and ignorantly… We were an educated into how cold that big greenhouse would actually get and we had no way of heating it it’s attached to our barn which we just moved to this property little less than a year ago. And now it gets so warm in the daytime and cold in the night time I don’t know how to protect or have airflow For all of the life in there. I tried container growing with a lot of things and here it gets over a 100- 105 and also it can be freezing in the Winter. I need a gardening coach or at least a starting point with some information on how to keep it growing harvesting and I think last year I did too much and didn’t realise that I couldn’t keep up with the harvest a lot of my success full vegetation ended up dying because I couldn’t attend to all of it.
    I know I’m all over the place in gave you my whole history however I am desperate. So any help is appreciated thank you again for your video in hopefully one day can make you and all the other green summers proud cause right now I have a white 1 or black lol

16. Kinjo51 on January 6, 2022 at 3:33 pm

*3rd year with horse radish planted in my plot zone 9A. Never takes over, barely spreads and seems to detest the heat.*

17. David Procter on January 6, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Whereabouts on the island are you I don’t recognise the hill in the background, you are not old enough to remember the winter of 78-79 the island was frozen to a depth of two feet for weeks on end,I was working on a mountain farm the conditions were truly horrific.PS Ellan Vannin not part of the UK.

18. Lil Joe on January 6, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Nice video, informative, I just need to find out what grows in Zone 3… it’s -26°C today

19. Roy Ormonde on January 6, 2022 at 3:46 pm

Nice garden, wish I could grow some of those but I’m in a zone 4 unfortunately. Some I will add to your list for cold climate growers, they are Ostrich Ferns for the fiddle heads in early spring, dandelion patch for mid spring and a row of spruce trees for the spruce tips in late spring are just a few of my favorites to get me out of the winter and into veggie season. There are a few others throughout the year that I love but I look forward to these in spring along with all my veggie starters growing in the sunroom to get me out of my winter blues.

20. Life with Dobkins Family on January 6, 2022 at 3:46 pm

what a beautiful garden. 😍

21. George Bowman on January 6, 2022 at 3:48 pm

Believe it or not, peppers can be perennial. Cut them back to a main stem with a few buds when it gets too cold for further growth, and as long as there is not a hard freeze or root rot, they will come back the next year.

22. Carrie Geren Scoggins [Official] on January 6, 2022 at 3:49 pm

The Spanish Black radish is a perennial in zone 7. I have never been able to get any Scarlet Emperor Runner beans, have not been able to get the seed, but I think the idea of a perennial green-bean is awesome…

23. Permaculture Homestead on January 6, 2022 at 3:50 pm

Permaculture is the answer

24. Jasons Jungle on January 6, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Nice video – thanks for sharing.

Did you mention Rhubarb?

Lavendar granita is so easy to make but tastes sooo good.

I’ve got 4 specied of perenial leeks in the garden – including the annual leeks I perenialised. There’s also 4 types of chives, 3 types of onion, perennial loose leaf cabbage, 2 types perennial kale, 2 types rhubarb, hostas (never got round to eating them though), sorrel, cardoon, Jerusalem artichokes (start off the season with only a little gradually building it up helps the gut acclimatize – also try using with savory), good king henry, rocket, skirret, scorzonera, sweet cicely, fennel, scots lovage, wild garlic, elephant garlic, oerprei, Globe Artichoke, Cardoons, caucasian spinach.

Plus mashua, earth chest nut, oca, american groundnut.

Then theres the fruit – red currants, black currants, goose berries, raspberries, straw berries, honey berries, blue berries, 3 x grapes, choke berries, himalayan honeysuckle, dwarf mulberry, medlar, quincem goji berry, June berry.

Wow, listing it looks alot.

Then there’s the kiwi fruit, rosemary, marjoram, sage, bergamont, japanese spinach, fig trees, logan berry, cranberry, comfrey.

25. Linda Sweden Lifestyle on January 6, 2022 at 3:52 pm

I love your vedio. Watching in the cold climate.. and 1stime gardening last summer.. thank you for a wonderful tips🥰😍

26. Londonfogey on January 6, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Some other good ones which are easy to grow are elderberries, lemonbalm, wild leeks, mint, strawberries (not exactly perennials but they will self-replant fairly easily), rhubarb, fennel, wild garlic. Also if you have a patch of nettles don’t get rid of them, they are a very nutritious perennial food source, as good as spinach.

27. Evel Grey Tarot on January 6, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Strawberries, oregano, and sage made it through this past nightmare of a winter, in pots, no protection, no watering. If they make it through another tough summer as well then I found some hardy perennials. Rosemary, thyme and dill are way too weak for my yard, you look at them funny and they’ll kill over dead.

28. Leslie Kendall on January 6, 2022 at 3:57 pm

I was made for a food forest. I have such a brown thumb that this year I was scouring the net for as many plants that had perennial species as I could find when eventually Geoff Lawton’s videos began coming up on my Recommendeds. 😄. I was starting one and didn’t even know it had a name. 👍

29. Tiếng Anh Cơ Bản on January 6, 2022 at 4:02 pm

planting perennial crops can save you a lot of time and money.

30. enrique on January 6, 2022 at 4:03 pm

I fall in love with this preciosa lady

31. Richard Mang on January 6, 2022 at 4:03 pm

at @2:00 did you say you are on Isle of Matt ? I am not sure of the location. Could you please put the location in the description? Thanks.
    I am in San Diego county, California. Latitude 33º . Zone 9b.

32. Mayhem posser on January 6, 2022 at 4:03 pm

how do i win alice

33. Roger Beaird on January 6, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Show me the cannabis girl 😻😍😻😻

34. Sean Kirk on January 6, 2022 at 4:05 pm

👍

35. Carols Journey Vlog on January 6, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Wiw what a beautiful garden

36. F V on January 6, 2022 at 4:06 pm

In my garden I have caucasian spinach. a climbing plant and salsify (don’t know which) that survived in the netherlands for 6 years.

37. Susan Raby-Dunne on January 6, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Where is this? Never mind. Isle of Man won’t work in southern Alberta along the Rockies.

38. Shaun Russell on January 6, 2022 at 4:07 pm

We grow perennial basil.

39. 2 Minute Gardener on January 6, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Lovely garden, great job on the video. New subscriber

40. uly ram on January 6, 2022 at 4:08 pm

Nice try Gwyneth Paltro. I know it’s you.

41. Gillian Bettinson on January 6, 2022 at 4:08 pm

And you lifted my :mood,’I have an allotment,and comfrey play’s a big part in providing plant nutrition as well as beautiful flowers which bees love,and will try it as a remedy for skin healing if and when required.Have a good day, and thanks . Southampton, UK

42. Joe T. on January 6, 2022 at 4:09 pm

I absolutely love your property!! Great videos! Keep up the great work!!

43. Sabbasstion Weidright on January 6, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Somebody tell Echo Gillette that she put this in one of her on channel playlists…

44. piinkbanna on January 6, 2022 at 4:12 pm

Oh tysm my mom says d she got some of ur ideas to plants she planted startberry already, and the flower buns, and the 🍇

45. Britton Godman on January 6, 2022 at 4:12 pm

A great video, somewhat new subscriber here. In some growing zones, such as zones 5 — 6 , I can grow herbs that are a zone 8 and above inside a greenhouse where they will overwinter. Also, part of what I would call my perennial garden are annuals that will readily self seed. [[ the seeds overwinter on the ground and do well ]]

46. MacStudio on January 6, 2022 at 4:12 pm

Gardens make me happy 🙂

47. Misa Misa on January 6, 2022 at 4:13 pm

i dont do annuals dont like spending money for something not coming back when so many others can do

48. Rebecca Charteris on January 6, 2022 at 4:13 pm

Thank you for the lovely video! I enjoyed the walk through your gardens and also seeing what each crop looks like and which part gets eaten. One request – the white text in the top left corner is quite hard to read if the background is light – could you please add a dark outline or drop shadow? (in future videos)

49. Lotus Holistic Healing on January 6, 2022 at 4:13 pm

Thank you for sharing!
    Perennials and permaculture gardening is so helpful and important! Right now I’m in an apartment, so my perennials have been Herbs like yarrow, then I have lots of annuals. With my land I plan to have mostly permaculture, and an orchard, with perennials, then my annual garden closer to the house.

I have videos of my crazy covered apartment patio. It’s been fun to get creative, but I’m ready for property! 💚💚💚

Perennials are also so much better for the environment, especially large scale, because they sequester more carbon in the soil, and don’t require tilling. When soil is rolled, like large scale annual agriculture, extremely large amounts of carbon are released. You can even see images showing all the carbon being released in fields of the Midwest US during early spring tilling season, and then again when all the animals die off before winter.

50. MusicfromMarrs on January 6, 2022 at 4:14 pm

Dwarf curly kale is a nice perennial, as is sage. If you have tomatoes that crash to the ground, you’re likely to get volunteers the next year. I do want to try sun chokes this year, now that you’ve mentioned them. I’m wondering if they’ll last a Des Moines winter.