DIY Raised Planter Box (w/ Hidden Wheels) | Free Plans | How to Build

DIY Raised Planter Box (w/ Hidden Wheels) | Free Plans | How to Build

Download the FREE Plans ►https://www.mrfixitdiy.com/product/free-diy-raised-planter-box-plans/

In this project I’ll show you how to build a large, mobile planter box by utilizing some fence pickets you can get at your local big box store and a few basic tools. I designed this project to be really accessible for the average person who doesn’t have access to a lot of tools and wanted to show that you can build a really nice planter box pretty easily. If you choose to use this planter box as a vegetable garden like I am, make sure you are using a wood like Redwood or Cedar that is naturally bug and rot resistant. You never want to use pressure treated lumber for anything that will be for edible plants. If it’s just for flowers, you could use a different type of lumber but I’d still recommend you stick with something like Redwood or Cedar.

► How to Build a DIY Giant Toy Box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpiw3Iw1KI

Tools & Products Mentioned in this video (affiliates)
►https://amzn.to/2EgyUzI

►Visit My Website: https://www.mrfixitdiy.com

1. mike falasca on January 7, 2022 at 4:41 pm

why do you need my cc for free plans ?

2. Piktor Music on January 7, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Very helpful. Thanks!

3. Graham Hine on January 7, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Thanks for this one. Just finished the build. The instructions were spot on. Very sturdy, and nice to be able to use the redwood fencing.

4. Sean Masse on January 7, 2022 at 4:43 pm

The instructional plans are different from what you’re doing on the video. I’m having to go back and forth between the two to get it right. Would have been more helpful if they matched.

5. Paul McFadyen on January 7, 2022 at 4:44 pm

Looks good and simple design..

6. ThomPotratz on January 7, 2022 at 4:46 pm

Thank you for the video and the Plan. Wondering if it’s possible to a) raise the base/bottom (so I don’t have to have use as much dirt?) and b) make it taller (so I don’t have to bend over as far?). Anyone else try either of these and if so, suggestions…results?

7. Mangia Italiana with Chef Tony “V” on January 7, 2022 at 4:47 pm

nice, a false bottom at about 12 or 12 inches will cut down on he expensive and very heavy we soil.

8. OA Pintor on January 7, 2022 at 4:50 pm

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. I might go a size up on the casters/wheels though as I realize that this makes it easier to roll over cobble stone or non flat surfaces, or even slight raises on the floor,

9. Elaine Edwards on January 7, 2022 at 4:52 pm

I enjoyed you garden box tutorial. I am a beginner and keen to learn more diy projects for the household thanks . Karen UK
    A friend of mine put a panel inside the planter to avoid using a lot of soil.
    This helps to cut down the depth of soil you used .
    Still able to use it as you should.

10. Cecily Lehmann on January 7, 2022 at 4:52 pm

Are the screws supposed to be 1 1/2" or 1 1/4"? The plans on the video are different than the plans I downloaded.

11. Jeff Hiley on January 7, 2022 at 4:54 pm

What do you think the completed box with soil weighs?

12. Maureen Kumeroa on January 7, 2022 at 4:55 pm

Yep I’ll look at this to build it. Nothing like learning a new skill

13. John Hoyle on January 7, 2022 at 4:55 pm

nice garden box plan

14. France Audet on January 7, 2022 at 4:56 pm

well done!

15. Papa on January 7, 2022 at 4:58 pm

I really liked the simplicity of the planter box and I also appreciated that you didn’t use tools the average guy wouldn’t have! I just subscribed! BE SAFE, GOD BLESS!🇺🇲🙏❤

16. njaneardude on January 7, 2022 at 4:59 pm

F bomb scale please 😁

17. Fuzzwuzzle on January 7, 2022 at 5:00 pm

thank you, our house was built on clay so the plants we’ve got in the ground arn’t doing very well so we’re looking at a planter boarder around the fence plus it’ll let me pick the soil that’s right for the plants,, i’ll probably use this design without the wheels

18. 1965 Santiago on January 7, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Nice..👍👍👍👍👍

19. Campbell Crockatt on January 7, 2022 at 5:00 pm

We were thinking of doing a similar idea. For my wife’s toolshed!

We are thinking of using an old pair of aluminium ladders – to make a subframe (two aluminium ladders bolted together with bolted brackets to make the subframe). The shed will be approximately 1.4 m wide and 3 m long. This suits the length of the two aluminium ladders (which are old and surplus to our requirements). These make two ready made rectangular hollow section beams. (As we are replacing these ladders anyway).

By having fixed swivel wheels at one end, and freely swivelling wheels with a lock feature at the other end. The wheels (fixed swivelling and freely swivelling with lock feature we bought from our local hardware store). These are a similar size to the industrial heavy weight garbage bins in the UK. (Wheel specification 125mm dia / 37.5mm width – 50(??) Heavy Duty hard rubber industrial type fixed and freely rotating swivel wheels.

The need for wheels is because our mini toolshed has to fit into a small gap, with a wall behind it and a set of concrete steps along side it. With a level concrete base we hope to be able to pull out the shed using fixed handles either side of the front doorway to allow us to paint and coat the sides each year that are hidden by the wall and the concrete steps. We think this is possible, and preferable to the idea of using a car jack and pipe rollers as our local woodwork professional suggested!!

Using a grinder, and deep aluminium ladders (85mm x 25mm cross section), we hope to make a robust subframe which will not bend or flex when we are in the shed!!

What do you think of this idea? (I am happy to share photographs and plans if you wish, at a later date when this is all, complete). Another mini project!

20. R S on January 7, 2022 at 5:01 pm

Very well made, thank you for sharing. ✌️

21. tonito6874 on January 7, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Awesome planter. Thanks

22. Thomas Kruk on January 7, 2022 at 5:02 pm

I’m looking to build a few planters for use as a "privacy fence" and this plan looks great, I think it will do. Planning on planting arborvitaes, grasses for height but I’m worried about bulge over time in the middle of the sides with all that dirt inside. Anyone experience that?

23. Daizey57 on January 7, 2022 at 5:04 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Thank you!

24. J Kim on January 7, 2022 at 5:06 pm

It is an awesome and great planter Box. After searching for the right one, this is the best one I found. But, I am having difficulty finding the plan. Would you direct me where I may get the plan? Thank you.

25. C.T. INT'L. on January 7, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Nice planter box…thanks 🙂

26. Skip Denny on January 7, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Had to watch a Biden add, so immediately thumbed down and exited.

27. caribbean-american jazz guitar on January 7, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Itd your choice but I would not put any bottom if its outside it would be.only weed barrier.cause it would be too heavy lifting

28. Sarah Dorsey on January 7, 2022 at 5:11 pm

Thank you, I love this! Would this still hold up if I made it a bit larger, like a 4’x8′? Perhaps with added heavy duty, industrial casters to account for the added weight?

29. MG Craigslist on January 7, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Thanks so much for this video. Great job! Question – what kind of plastic would you use to line the inside of the box to prevent rot? I’m planning on using it as an organic vegetable garden but I don’t want any dangerous chemicals leeching into the food.

30. Diederich Abels on January 7, 2022 at 5:19 pm

If you want to build it you can find nice instructions on the Stodoys plans website.

31. K.B. Woodworker on January 7, 2022 at 5:23 pm

Great job! Always appreciate the plans.

32. Rab Indra on January 7, 2022 at 5:23 pm

Hammer and a chisel is what I consider minimum amount of tool. Not all that you showed.

33. ChuckDLT on January 7, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Instead of stones you could use leaves, sticks, grass clippings or other yard waste material to fill the bottom half of the box. It would decrease the weight of the box, add nutrients to the soil, and save a little money on potting soil. Also mixing peat moss with the purchased soil can stretch your dollars a bit.

34. Michael Daum on January 7, 2022 at 5:24 pm

I can’t get the plans – I click the link but the site can’t be reached. Is there a new link or another place to get the plans?

35. TJ's Porch Garage on January 7, 2022 at 5:26 pm

Is there any benefit to having the soil go all the way to the bottom? If the plants grow well with a thinner layer of soil, you could save a lot of weight by leaving the bottom half empty.

36. John Schmit on January 7, 2022 at 5:27 pm

I built 2 of these. Beautiful. BUT… definitely go larger on casters. They worked fine while building, but when I loaded soil (about 1/3 yard each), one of the casters puked out ball bearings, the wheel locked up and left wheel skid marks on pavement. I unloaded soil, positioned planters, then reloaded. Also suggest a 1×2 upright tying inside mid-span of long sides boards together so less likely to get a bow. Last, maybe 6"-10" of 1×2 horizontal on inside top edge of all 4 highest side boards to give support for the flat piece used as a cap. Sounds critical, but not intended that way. I love these and wife instructed me to build 2 more.

37. Jean 1953 on January 7, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Love it! I fill my planters with used recycled materials after washing. Used milk and juice jugs, styrofoam, cans and packaging materials I cut to fit. Saved $ and my back when moving planters around.

38. Campbell Crockatt on January 7, 2022 at 5:29 pm

Swivel wheels idea is brilliant.

39. James Lyons on January 7, 2022 at 5:29 pm

The plans don’t mention the mesh or the liner you used in the video — what sort of wire mesh did you use, and how was it secured (staples?) When you added the liner, what exactly is that called, and was that secured the same way? I love the way it looks though, so i’m excited to try it out.

40. Stacee Robinson on January 7, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I can’t seem to get the downloadable plans. Has anyone else had this problem?

41. Ryan Vanderpool on January 7, 2022 at 5:34 pm

I don’t seem to be able to download the plans. Can you help please?

42. dinat411 on January 7, 2022 at 5:35 pm

Lovely.

43. Never Again on January 7, 2022 at 5:35 pm

Did I see your child was holding one of the drills? 😨

44. Rick Hartgrove on January 7, 2022 at 5:36 pm

I’ve watched several videos and I have to say you do a GREAT JOB and I can see you on a major network. Very professional and the way you do it is very easy to follow. Perfect flow,

45. Duca Schoenberg on January 7, 2022 at 5:36 pm

I did it about three weeks ago. I learned a lot about it on the Stodoys plans website. Check.

46. sidecut999 on January 7, 2022 at 5:36 pm

I really like the simple and yet attractive design, and I need the rolling capability in my situation. BUT the one concern that will compel me to change the design is that the entire weight is supported by only four screws in each of the two 2×4’s that have the casters since the 2×4’s are over, rather than under, the two 48" 2×2 baulsters.

47. Monica Mehmi on January 7, 2022 at 5:37 pm

If I don’t use fence pickets what could I use instead?

48. Oscar Hernandez on January 7, 2022 at 5:38 pm

Why not create a false bottom instead of adding rocks? I don’t have the power tools, would a hand saw be as effective?

49. Cari Rangel on January 7, 2022 at 5:39 pm

Thank you this so beautiful I love it