Easy Window Sill Extension Howto

Easy Window Sill Extension Howto

How to make a window sill extension table out of a 2×8 and basic tools. More than doubles the width of your sill, allowing you to take advantage of this space.

Note that I believe I used 3/8-16 inserts on the bed, not the 1/4-20 inserts used here. Similar, but not the same.

1. Leah NYC on January 7, 2022 at 3:55 pm

I’m jealous. In NYC, never had space for any kind of shop, now found your vid while trying to find a plant shelf like the shelf you made — but out of the box, literally. And am not getting anywhere. Helpful tips, links, anybody? We have a window with decent light and we keep more plants than can fit on the sill. So I have plants juryrigged atop teetering stacks of height-extensions placed on top of the radiator. The radiator is on the window wall, and its metal cover is a foot+ below the window sill. This means at least three problems: can’t open the windows readily lest those plants topple, cat can’t sit on the radiator because of all the teetering stacks (at least I hope he never tries), and — ugh — it looks awful. Except for the plants. They’re doing fine. Thanks for your vid. Great work. Appreciate it.

2. Clerk Spokesman on January 7, 2022 at 3:57 pm

I like that you didn’t cover up the mistakes you made. It gives me confidence that although I’m not real handy, I can do stuff and it’s not the end of the world if I make a mistake.

3. Jeremy Cook on January 7, 2022 at 4:04 pm

Simple project, definitely. OTOH, I’ve yet to see anything like it, and is an easy build with simple tools (unless you count the optional 3D printed jig used around 2:00). Would love to hear your thoughts!

4. Irish Chippy on January 7, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Nice simple project Jeremy. Play the guitar in the next video please.

5. Pat Regan on January 7, 2022 at 4:07 pm

I like this idea. It is a bit like built-in shelves, because you get to make use of some of that space that’s normally taken up by the wall!

6. garagemonkeysan on January 7, 2022 at 4:24 pm

Nice project and video. Mahalo for sharing! : )

7. pillows,pain&DIY on January 7, 2022 at 4:27 pm

Good idea. Thanks.

8. Frye Guy on January 7, 2022 at 4:43 pm

I would be afraid of it tipping over… It’s very narrow.. Just my opinion..