Building Raised Garden Beds (Part 3)

Building Raised Garden Beds (Part 3)

Making progress on our raised beds garden. Finishing the walls and pouring the concrete.

Here’s the Building Raised Beds playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD231j5QApVJlf2QwBZlv7cPE_j9mYsdu

Join our Live Simple, Live Free Face Book Group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/tinyhouseprepper

General email: billk@kelleremail.com

Shop or become a consultant at our Thrive Life food store. http://bkeller.thrivelife.com/index
Also, join our new โ€œThriving Good Recipesโ€ FB group for a clearinghouse of recipes by Thrive Life customers and consultants. Add a few of your own! https://www.facebook.com/groups/187043475314531/

True Leaf Market. Get heirloom seeds and microgreen kits and supplies. https://www.pjatr.com/t/TUJGRklGSkJGTkpMR0ZCRkpIRk1K

Tip jar. Help keep the videos coming. Donate to Tinyhouse Prepper.

Shop at our Amazon store. https://amazon.com/shop/tinyhouseprepper

Check out our Instagram account! https://www.instagram.com/livesimplelivefree_thp

1. Choc Aholic on January 8, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Awesome. If you put a foundation and build it up just a little more, you’ll have a nice storm shelter for one or two.

2. Barbara J on January 8, 2022 at 3:04 pm

This has really turned in to quite a lot of work ๐Ÿ˜ฅ but soon you will reap the rewards. Plus one happy wife ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. P N on January 8, 2022 at 3:04 pm

couple of small lines of loctite pl500 block glue or similar.. in a tube like construction adhesive.. to hold the cap stones in place.. but not to so you can pry them off if you want.. that way one won’t slipped off on you leaning on it..

4. archie ball on January 8, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Finally some one is doing it right, doing it in wood is wrong for a few reasons doesn’t last long , splinters , and you have no idea what’s in the wood .Doing it this way is the best way to go. If you need filer maybe toss a few big rocks ,not bricks not concrete just plain old rocks Good job

5. Vivian Seitzinger on January 8, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Nice work. Learning more and more. Greetings from the Netherlands๐Ÿ˜˜

6. Charles Coker on January 8, 2022 at 3:06 pm

The layer of rocks would have detered any critters from getting in.

7. Calโ€™s Talk on January 8, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Cool

8. Armydad72 on January 8, 2022 at 3:06 pm

how many bags did it take to fill just one bed i can multiply the rest thank you

9. JDK K on January 8, 2022 at 3:07 pm

What about drainage?

10. Speckled Hen on January 8, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Take the time you make your own ollas. Elizabeth wont have to water so much. Look on you tube how to do. Use terracotta pots with lids.

11. Misty Roads on January 8, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Love the raised beds! Canโ€™t wait to see Elizabeth enjoying her gardening.

12. Steve Elkins on January 8, 2022 at 3:13 pm

How are you going to fill those? I see so many raised beds that are never topped up, usually because of cost or hard labour. The wooden sides just rot and harbour slugs and the like. Still, yours are concrete so that’s not a problem I guess, just filling them and the constant topping up looks like a killer!

13. Mike Murrell on January 8, 2022 at 3:15 pm

You are a very good husband for doing this for your wife. I know she appreciates you very much.

14. landslave on January 8, 2022 at 3:20 pm

Very nice job, Bill. Where I live (Fla) your terraces would be proper footings! Our frost line is 4" here, and that is a 200 year frost line. I had forgotten about winter freeze thaw cycle heaving!

15. Business Minded Mom on January 8, 2022 at 3:20 pm

That’s so much heavy work and they are kind of an eyesore. Why not just use planter wall blocks? Then you don’t need concrete, the boards won’t push apart and they don’t look like you’re building a mausoleum.

16. J. L. on January 8, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Looks great! ๐Ÿ‘

17. The Rosary Lady on January 8, 2022 at 3:22 pm

Now I suppose you must fill it …that’s a huge volume of dirt!

18. pandora albright on January 8, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Watch your ph in your block beds. Cement actually releases acid. May have to add lime regularly.

19. SANDRA ANCHETA on January 8, 2022 at 3:24 pm

How can I contact you about ordering Thrive food?

20. Deborah Anne Weber on January 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm

here’s the video on raised beds…. think of deer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb12934hIrw&list=WL&index=53

21. Moore2Life on January 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm

cinder block raised beds have intrigued me for years thanks for doing this

22. BGP on January 8, 2022 at 3:31 pm

Mask up ladies. Dont treat your lungs like this.

23. Great Granny Free Bird on January 8, 2022 at 3:32 pm

bill, turning out to be quite an amazing GROUP of raised beds! this year I am looking at more dehydration instead of canning. curious to see what you will do for preservation, Elizabeth. โค๏ธ

24. Climapod Dealer Sales Support & Assembly on January 8, 2022 at 3:33 pm

We love your garden beds

25. Gustavo Neves on January 8, 2022 at 3:35 pm

12:39 >> For my metric friends … and then says measurements in inches instead of centimeters ๐Ÿ˜‚ LOL

26. LISA AND THE KOZY KITTY KAMPERVAN on January 8, 2022 at 3:36 pm

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    "LOOKING GOOD"!
    – I CAN ALSO HEAR ELIZABETH’S WIND CHIME, I LOVE WIND CHIMES, I OWN A FEW MYSELF, I LOVE THE BEAUTIFUL SOUNDS TOO LIZ โค SOMETIMES WHEN IM FEELING A LITTLE STRESSED, I HAVE A SWEET LITTLE WIND CHIME OVER MY BED, I TURN THE FAN ON SLOW AND LISTEN TO THE LIGHT SOUNDING CHIME THAT HELPS ME TO FALL ASLEEP FOR SOME REASON ALL MY KITTYS PAST & PRESENT LOVE THE ONE HANGING OVER MY BED TOO. โค

27. Rachel F on January 8, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Was every hole filled with concrete and I just missed it?

28. TFEB on January 8, 2022 at 3:38 pm

They look amazing!

29. Nici Devine on January 8, 2022 at 3:38 pm

A lot of heavy work going in the garden but itโ€™s going to be worth it in the end !!! Take care N God Bless !!!

30. gina gray on January 8, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Your work is always so tidy, could I bundle my husband up & send him to you, maybe you could show him your secrets!

31. John Morgan on January 8, 2022 at 3:39 pm

Why do Americans call Gods Earth, ‘dirt ‘ ?

32. Grandma Beverly x on January 8, 2022 at 3:41 pm

all that planning ahead and lining up takes all the fun and expense out of reworking your screw ups. what fun is that!

33. REVEREND DAVID HAMM on January 8, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Hi Bill and Elizabeth Great video I do have to say though The Concrete is going to cook the vegetables you might have to have other things that take the heat away from the roots

34. Vinnette Pope on January 8, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Very good ๐Ÿ‘ idea. Awesome ๐Ÿ‘Œ job ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘

35. mplslawnguy on January 8, 2022 at 3:43 pm

Never done this before, but wouldn’t that screen have to be secured to the sides of the bed somehow to be effective? Otherwise critters would be able to weasel (no pun intended) their way through the sides. I think if you had thought of this while you were building the beds, you could tuck the screen between the blocks. Also, it would probably be better to connect the separate screens together somehow. If I know rodents, its that they can get through just about anything if there is the tiniest of openings. On the other hand, I don’t even know if animals coming from underneath a raised bed is that big of a problem. Maybe it is in some areas. I think the fact that you built those so tall will do more to deter animal damage. I’m building some this summer and they will be that tall. Rabbits around here are horrible.

36. N Jean Hunter on January 8, 2022 at 3:43 pm

BEAUTIFUL beds!๐Ÿ’•โค And not one little bit "cattywampus"! Perfect!๐Ÿ‘Œ Great job as usual, Bill!
    Elizabeth, I know you’re rarin’ to go! I share your enthusiasm and excitement!
    ๐ŸŒฑ๐Ÿต๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฝ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒพ๐ŸŒฑ

37. Ruth Stoker on January 8, 2022 at 3:44 pm

WOW: A lot of work but well worth it, great job, such patience; I love gardening and Elizabeth will do well on her end of this Garden project. What a blessing it will be when it is harvested. God Bless.

38. Shannon Muccitelli on January 8, 2022 at 3:44 pm

Really nice raised beds. Great job! God bless you both.

39. cynthia pitts on January 8, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Bill one question: Why did you decide to do concrete blocks instead of wood?

40. FlyinTrapezious on January 8, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Hi Bill,

You do nice work and are a patient man. I built beds similar to yours years ago and made a plywood jig to grout the blocks. It was basically a rectangular box that spanned two blocks and it would funnel the concrete into the blocks with no mess and speeded up the process dramatically. I did put galvanized wire mesh underneath the blocks. Here in Southern California we have ruthless gophers , ground squirrels and rabbits. My first garden had no protection below or above and they would completely destroy it.

41. Shirley Drake on January 8, 2022 at 3:46 pm

I really enjoy watching someone work, when it is natural to them. You mentioned muscle memory on the first video of this series, I think thatโ€™s so important, and often underrated, with anything we do in life. One of my careers was working as a RN. I worked really hard to build my muscle memory. Yes, there is a great deal of muscle memory involved , even in highly trained, highly educated, work.

42. James 84 on January 8, 2022 at 3:50 pm

Best job last forever them

43. Seth Prosoco on January 8, 2022 at 3:51 pm

I always enjoy watching Bills projects…. Your a hard worker sir.

Are you going to paint the outside walls of the beds? just curious

I’m happy elizabeth will be able to garden and be comfortable while gardening.

44. palmtreeleebythesea on January 8, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Please protect yourself more from the concrete dust!!! Thanks. Great ideas

45. MissSandraK on January 8, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Iโ€™m going to do some path maker stones to creat hardscape in the yard next year. Iโ€™m going to invest in a mister after seeing this!

46. Steve McFarland on January 8, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Glad to see someone finally do it right with cap blocks

47. Jason Stover on January 8, 2022 at 3:54 pm

lol that kind of work will keep you young as my grandfather always said. Looks like it is hard work that takes a very long time. Wish there was an easier way for you it looks like its a bit much on you sometimes.
    Keep up the awesome work that growing season is fast coming along. We are only doing beds that are two blocks tall. For this year as the cost is way less.

48. 99.05% Chance I'll live. on January 8, 2022 at 3:56 pm

Good plan. Thank you.

49. FTWTexas Stephens on January 8, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Really enjoying watching the raised bed project.

50. Cynthia Weathers on January 8, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Rabbit cage wire will work. I don’t think moles will challenge that gravel.