(Part 2 of 2) A Tour of Our Tropical Plant Greenhouse in late January. Meyer Lemon and other citrus

This greenhouse is where we store most of our personal collection of tropical and sub tropical plants during the winter. Many of these plants are older than I am. This video shows our Meyer Lemon ready to harvest, our other Citrus Trees, passion flower, banana, bay leaf tree, and some other stuff. This video is Number 2 of 2

1. Yazz2Jazz on January 9, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Hi Mark. really enjoy these citrus videos like I do everything that you post! lol. Wow those trees and the citrus fruit is something! They look really nice and the blossoms ..the scent, there’s just nothing else like it! I have 2 citrus trees in a pot..an orange and lemon and I have a lime tree in the ground in my yard all doing very well. Lastly I just wanted to say how much I appreciate u replying to comments Mark..I know u must be very busy and the more subscribers u get the more comments and emails u will receive! lol So I know it will get harder to keep up with it all as time goes on. So yeh appreciate your channel..wish I could visit your area..it would be the sort of place I would want to live oh except the humidity….i don’t like that part..i prefer hot and sunny. lol But it looks like u still get alot of nice weather too. All the best.

2. C P No till on January 9, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Mark would you know how old a lemon tree would be before it bears fruit? I have two growing like crazy that are 1 1/2 yrs old. Had to watch this one twice and wow those citrus trees are just beautiful!

3. Decent Parks on January 9, 2022 at 3:22 pm

You need to let the olive tree go dormant

4. David on January 9, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Have you tried growing the hardy banana (Musa Basjoo)? I don’t live too far from you (Virginia)…. this variety of banana does fantastic here and totally hardy.
    In a hard winter the stalk totally dies back but quickly returns in spring… when we have a mild winter the main stalk will survive and give the plant a huge head
    start in spring and it will get to enormous sizes. IF you can keep the main stalk going for three seasons you’ll get bloom and bananas, but sadly this variety is
    inedible but makes a great accent plant for the garden.

One more question… are you a business open to the public? Your place is so large and I would definitely make a trip to your nursery/gardens if you are open to
    the public!

5. M A on January 9, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Wonderful greenhouse , keep it up bro 😎

6. J. Scott Van Derbeck on January 9, 2022 at 3:25 pm

Hey Mark, as soon as you said "Lemon Cake" I got all distracted looking for the recipe – don’t leave a Top Fan hanging! LOL. The Red Passion Flower is awesome – thanks for showing that. The leaf on that helped me ID a GA native vine coming up in my yard amongst some Cleome – fortunately my hoe (the garden tool, not a reference to anyone, HA) didn’t chop them all down. Email me that recipe! 🙂

7. John Hendrickson on January 9, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Here in zone 8b grow most all the plants in your greenhouse with some winter frost coverings, just not avocado. Enjoy your gardening vids.

8. jay steph on January 9, 2022 at 3:28 pm

U can just keep the trees in the pots ?

9. #Abhishek plants station on January 9, 2022 at 3:28 pm

I m your new subscriber in india.

10. Roman Stepanov on January 9, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Thanks a lot for the great video.
    Roman from Ukraine, Kiev

11. crumb9cheese on January 9, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Ughhhh i would love to just walk around and look at all the plants.

12. Nate Murphy on January 9, 2022 at 3:33 pm

25 years what kind of fertilizer are you using?

13. SZG Sports on January 9, 2022 at 3:34 pm

I see you are in MD. I would like to make something like this in MD. What do you use to do temperature control in your greenhouse?
    Great video

14. Brittani Layne on January 9, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! How much would you say it costs you a month to run this greenhouse? ♥️

15. Justin Ledvina on January 9, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Awesome setup appreciate you sharing your greenhouse. That’s my retirement dream

16. Julian on January 9, 2022 at 3:38 pm

How do you fertilizer those citrus? The soil is not eve full do you water them daily. It seem like its a lot of work.

17. JC Baily on January 9, 2022 at 3:39 pm

I certainly agree with you about the citrus trees for when they are in bloom here, the aroma is breath taking. I had a grapefruit tree for awhile and when it was in bloom, it was wonderful. Thanks for your video.

18. Kenneth Latimer on January 9, 2022 at 3:40 pm

Oh my…the aloe spluge. Keep up the great work.

19. Zaleha Burude on January 9, 2022 at 3:41 pm

Hello…Mark’s Garden… Your Green house is huge… And I love to see those of Bananas Trees… It’s healthy and gorgeous…
    I love those Limes and Lemon.. 🍋🍋 🍋
    Thank you so much for sharing your great garden….Happy Weekend to you and yours..

20. Amin Ziaie on January 9, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Fantastic!
    Try adding some Citrus bloom to your tea.
    It is very common in Middle East.

21. Peter Podaras on January 9, 2022 at 3:42 pm

to flower the olive tree it will need to be kept near freezing during the winter. drought stressing it in the summer helps too

22. Hafthor on January 9, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Lovely Greenhouse you have 🙂
    you should visit Italy .

23. C P No till on January 9, 2022 at 3:53 pm

So impressive Mark! Really loved the tour. 😍

24. anthonynewsome on January 9, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Wow you have an amazing array of plants, thanks for sharing this, keep safe

25. Madhavi Gunnala on January 9, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Wow so many citrus 🍊 . Loved those banana plants all in general . May be try guava &. Mango , pomagranite .too!

26. Nate Murphy on January 9, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Do you repot those trees every few years ? And what do you feed them with? Thanks for your time

27. Dan Clark on January 9, 2022 at 4:00 pm

The lemons and lemon cake recipe sound good 👍🏼 my banana trees banana stocks have gotten 3 ft long here in coasts texas south padre island texas your tropical garden is awesome

28. Frederick Burrell on January 9, 2022 at 4:01 pm

OMG!!! Gardening goals ..😍

29. SiriusScientist on January 9, 2022 at 4:03 pm

I’d love to see a care video for your citrus trees! I was recently recommended your channel by YouTube and am catching up on all your videos. I’m in the greater Boston MA area (6a).

30. Michelle Oribe on January 9, 2022 at 4:05 pm

What is the size of that greenhouse? Is it polycarbonate or poly plastic?

31. ES on January 9, 2022 at 4:07 pm

There is variety of olive that does not bear fruits (or fruits that drop before maturation). This is supposed to be purely ornamental and hypoallergenic (less to no pollen).

32. suffolkguy on January 9, 2022 at 4:07 pm

nice!

33. Barnaby RT on January 9, 2022 at 4:10 pm

The smell of the lime flower is delightful.

34. Jeffrey Atto on January 9, 2022 at 4:11 pm

What is your garden zone?

35. Jordan A on January 9, 2022 at 4:12 pm

You’ve got a nice tropical greenhouse there – you should grow some jaboticaba varieties – it’s a tree native to Brazil that enjoys subtropical temperatures (ideal is 25 degrees celcius, but not much higher). It’s unique in that it grows fruit on the trunk as well as the branches, so if it gets damaged by a storm, as long as you have the trunk, you’re still good. It can handle water flooding too, as being coastal in Brazil, it can often get flooded. They don’t like the frost and obviously not snow, and although they’re subtropical in nature, they can grow in temperate climates, if they’re protected from the cold and extreme heat. Here in New Zealand, we can grow them in the north island. They still need protection when they’re young, but once they have a good 1/2 to 1 inch thick trunk on them or so, they’re all good. They HATE full sun – they get leaf tip burn and drop leaves. They LOVE filtered sunlight (so underneath a shade tree like an albizia julibrissin) or morning sun only. Once the tree is mature, it can produce hundreds to a few thousand fruits. Since they’re extremely slow growers, the jaboticaba is an ideal tree for someone who is concerned about maintenance – as fast growing trees can be a nightmare to constantly keep trimming). A fun fact too is that, although they’re one of the slowest trees to grow in the world, it’s one of the fastest flower-to-fully-ripened-fruits in the world – often taking less than 30 days/1 month to go from flower bud to fully ripened fruit! The flavour is amazing, and can’t be described, as it has it’s own unique flavour, but is definitely worth growing. Most "red" jaboticaba varieties will fruit quicker than the purple/black varieties, so if time is important, then go for a red jaboticaba, and try to buy one that already has a few years of growth – what price do you put on saving years of waiting for fruit!?!? There are lots of varieties out there too. I personally love the Paulista jaboticaba. I haven’t tried any other varieties yet. I forgot to mention, the Sabara variety (most common variety), once mature and fruiting, can produce 1-4 times per year!!!

36. cobojaen on January 9, 2022 at 4:14 pm

Hey Mark, just listened to the olive problem. I’m from Jaén, Spain, largest producer of olive oil in the world, and what I can say is that they need a really hot long and dry summer. There are some varieties that work just fine with wet summers, but I would say that one is one of the southern ones. Probably Picual, Manzanilla or Arbequina.