How to Make Terraced Raised Beds for Vegetable Gardening – E.1

How to Make Terraced Raised Beds for Vegetable Gardening – E.1

#vegetablegarden #bushlife #homestead
Raised beds are a good bet for vegetable gardening at your cottage, camp homestead or even your house in the city. Here we figure out how to make terraced raised beds to create cascading garden planters. Our plan is to plant a ‘three sisters’ garden – which consists of corn, beans and squash, along with other vegetables too. The best place to do this on our property is on a steep hill because the spot gets a lot of sun. Building a terraced garden is also a great way to make use of a steep hill that may be otherwise unused, and it leaves flatter spaces on your property for other projects and activities.

Stick around and watch the garden come together in the following videos. There will be an additional two terraces to come, as well as other work in and around the gardens to make them easier to access and more efficient to maintain. Before we plant, we’ll also be filling these with topsoil, manure and mixing in our natural, sandy glacial till to create rich soil. We’re not experts at this and are learning as we go to an extent. We’re finding that the more we learn, the more interested we become in it all. I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch, but if all goes well, we should have a surplus of food and I’m looking forward to preserving and storing some of it so that I can venture off onto some of my longer canoe trips carrying with me only the food that I’ve grown and harvested myself. So, if all goes well, after the fall harvest we will be drying and canning much of what we yield.

On a bit of a side note, I think farming is one of the most under-discussed things when it comes to the bushcraft, survival and wilderness living world. It seems to be more thought of as a homesteading thing which indeed it is, in addition to a practical hobby in the city and country alike. But if you’re ever going to truly make a steak at surviving long term in the wilderness, growing your own food in climates where it’s possible is something that could really make a difference in your health and long term survival. In fact, most indigenous people of the northeast and beyond relied on plant agriculture for a large portion of their sustenance. In some environs, hunting and gathering can be less work than farming, however, it is less of a guarantee and more challenging to sustain larger populations.

Thanks a lot for watching and please subscribe to my channel. https://www.youtube.com/c/JimBairdThe…

Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter:

Check out my website for articles, blogs and other videos you won’t find here.

Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/shop/jimbaird-adventurer
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Agawa Gear:

1. Sophia Low on January 11, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Splendidly to see Stodoys have new plans which helped me save some money and energy for this construction.

2. Joseph maschari on January 11, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Nice start to your garden. I’m glad I don’t have my plants in yet, they are calling for frost here in northern Ohio tonight.

3. Wanda Mann Smith on January 11, 2022 at 5:03 pm

What a gorgeous property!

4. Treasures and Adventures on January 11, 2022 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I was trying to think on how to make a nice garden.Yeah don’t yell at your wife over burnt chicken. Lol

5. Kimberly Shalaby on January 11, 2022 at 5:05 pm

I’m late with gardening this year. A man is suppose to help me make a few raised beds, this would have been great had the other one showed up to mow the yard. Co-ordination’s off. I love your wife! You’ve got a cute ‘lil fella watching you too. He’ll sure have room to run & that won’t be to far off in the future. Thank you for sharing Baird family! Happy Mothers’ Day Mrs. Baird!

6. sue zaple on January 11, 2022 at 5:06 pm

WOW the little dude is getting bigger and cuter each time we see him, those garden beds are awesome , nice to see you both working hard on them, and what a pay off it will be. freash veggies from the garden always tast the best. looking forward to part two

7. Jody Reay on January 11, 2022 at 5:07 pm

Haaaa! I loved this! Great work on starting your garden! Tori is a gem Jim! I too can’t grill that is a man’s skill but give me an oven and I will win there! That was just too funny! Didn’t fill the belly but made great viewing! Love you guys!

8. ADK Woods Walker on January 11, 2022 at 5:07 pm

Garden is looking boss – nice work! Also, I just about died when you said, "If she burns the beer, divorce her, though." Brilliant! 😉

9. Pat Beaudoin on January 11, 2022 at 5:08 pm

Great job guys,you guys do what works for you and your garden I wish I had a garden like that.And people need to quit comparing to other people to each his own. Love seeing Wesley.🙂🇨🇦👍

10. Kekoa Mauna Kea on January 11, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Great job Kimo (aka Jimmy in Maoli) Tori ripped that saw like a pro…Little man looks happy as hell!!! ML&Aloha y’all, Kekoa&Ohana 🌺🤙🏽🌺🌊🚣🏻💨💨

11. Jim Baird - Adventurer on January 11, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Thanks a lot for watching! Please subscribe to my channel and stay tuned to see this garden come together. My next vid is a whitewater decent of the river I live on.

12. Mary Witt on January 11, 2022 at 5:12 pm

Hope you guys get into composting so you have good soil to add to your gardens. I use an old raised bed to put my compost in one end so I can dig soil from the middle or other end. Good luck with your gardens.

13. Derek Paterson on January 11, 2022 at 5:13 pm

Haha great vid. The first box looks great.

14. Doug Gibson on January 11, 2022 at 5:13 pm

Nice looking beds. Tori knows how to cook over a flame… that’s what happens when you have multiple tasks on the go. You have to get a Dewalt impact driver it will allow the screws to go in easier.

15. Eric Lock on January 11, 2022 at 5:15 pm

I’d rather have chicken a little crispy than undercooked.

But that was even a little much for me…lol

16. Lũy Mạch on January 11, 2022 at 5:15 pm

✌👍

17. Gary Lee on January 11, 2022 at 5:17 pm

At least you have decent soil for growing, where I live calichee is prevalent and sulphur, sand and/or compost needs to be added then tilled well then lightly packed. My grandfather would get brake drum cuttings/shavings ans throw in the mix then he planted peanuts the first year to add nitrogen. After that he planted grass in some areas and gardening elsewhere.

As for burnt food my wife can scald Kool Aid, she once made me atop sirloin that couldn’t be cut, I picked it up an it was rigid as a piece of pipe I offered it to my German Shepard and he smelt of and gave me a look, turned around walked off and never looked back, true story. The family has a saying if my wife offers to cook for you, you have passed her off and she’s going to get you back so don’t ever accept her invitation.

18. Christine Greenstreet on January 11, 2022 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for the idea! I love how well you both work together. What a team!

19. Susan Brockbank on January 11, 2022 at 5:18 pm

Hilarious 🤣🤣🤣

20. G. S. on January 11, 2022 at 5:19 pm

It’s nice to see you working together and your little darling supervising your work. Your garden bed looks really good. I think a few more beds and you can plant most of your vegetables by yourself. Maybe it’s better if you take over the grilling and Tori can relax a little. Nobody can do everything💫☘️🥬

21. Roger Colette on January 11, 2022 at 5:22 pm

i think shes a gooden .

22. Deb Pinter on January 11, 2022 at 5:22 pm

You both work well together…bummer about the burnt chicken. Hello Wesley your getting big! Enjoy your vegetable garden.

23. Hellen Cumber on January 11, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Thanks for the sawhorse and garden designs, I love them. And thanks for the laughs at the end.

24. Sheepy Hollow on January 11, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Time for a new pup.

25. Ikenna Okafor on January 11, 2022 at 5:25 pm

What are the dimensions?

26. Schalk Naudé South Africa on January 11, 2022 at 5:25 pm

🤭🙈 I’ve never seen chicken literally on 🔥😇 luckily you know me better and I am ALWAYS praising Tori and yourself.
    Those raised beds are going to be off good use, what vegies are y’all thinking of?
    Enjoy your "trip" tomorrow…🤠

27. marian frances on January 11, 2022 at 5:25 pm

I know the pain of hillside gardening! You go, guys. 😉🇨🇦🌷🍅🍓

28. Sean Brennan on January 11, 2022 at 5:26 pm

I have become accustom to burnt food ,I think it makes my hair curlier .Never seen a piece of chicken on fire before.I been growing my own vegetables for the last two years ,so much nicer and not got short with this Apocalypse :/ .I do grow my herbs mixed in with flowers in planters .As herbs so easy to grow ,but rather expensive to buy fresh. 🙂

29. Timelapse Adventure on January 11, 2022 at 5:31 pm

Very entertaining , interesting! we enjoyed from the start till end. Keep posting good content Jim. We can’t wait for the EP 2.

It’s time, it’s adventure.

30. 6 stroke wander scotland on January 11, 2022 at 5:35 pm

Hello young-ones, it great to see the team work to fix the place work,

31. Angler2058 on January 11, 2022 at 5:36 pm

You keep messing with Tori you’ll be showing us how to build a dog house.😜😜🤣🤣🤣 Good video.

32. giovanni de petris on January 11, 2022 at 5:36 pm

Thank you! Suggest you get organic soil delivered in bulk rather than pay for bags

33. faithhopelovep91 on January 11, 2022 at 5:38 pm

"This one’s still on fire" 🤣

34. Organic Island on January 11, 2022 at 5:41 pm

This is wonderful video.

35. Gawonii Austenaco on January 11, 2022 at 5:41 pm

Shou sugi ban could have been used here to protect the wood, just a suggestion

36. Snell Dog Express on January 11, 2022 at 5:46 pm

Yes! that looks like my property!! I needed this video. Thanks!

37. Eric Gelsinger on January 11, 2022 at 5:46 pm

I know this isn’t necessarily the content you’d thought you’d be putting out there, and, sure, from this side, I’d love to see another canoe or backcountry trip, but . . . surprisingly fun to watch! Oddly looking forward to Episode 2!

38. Brian Saucy on January 11, 2022 at 5:47 pm

"If you don’t make mistakes, you’ll never learn". (as someone much smarter than myself, once said:) Cheers!

39. Kate Morrison on January 11, 2022 at 5:50 pm

Great job! Get growing. 🙂

40. Belinda G. on January 11, 2022 at 5:51 pm

Don’t listen to all the nay sayers! I love the raised beds and understand the problem with amending soil in your area. I have the same problem in Upstate NY. Lots of rock too. We have to bring in manure and compost and get the soil up to par or you won’t get a successful garden. Invest in your soil and it will pay you back in a bountiful harvest! No money can bring you that feeling of growing something yourself and reaping the benefits of knowing what you eat is not laden with pesticides. Pure joy!! It’s so addicting….from watching your seeds sprout inside to watching the symphony of produce abounding on YOUR land. Awww!! I just love it and congratulations on your steps towards that goal of increased self sufficiency! Hugs to your sweet baby boy and hard working wife!!! 🌱

41. Paul Richards on January 11, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Just happen to be starting one of these on a slope here in the Virginia Mountains. The only area I have that gets decent sun is on a slope. Thanks for giving me a good visualization of what I will be working on this fall.

42. Anne Sander on January 11, 2022 at 5:52 pm

How do you plan to keep the wildlife from eating all your vegetables once they start growing

43. rialobran on January 11, 2022 at 5:55 pm

A rolling stone gathers no moss….have you seen Kieth Richards lately…?
    As a horticulturalist I shall be watching this closely, great job on the first tier.
    Once finished a compost bin would be an idea for all those autumn leaves…sorry making work for you now, get out and paddle! 🙂

44. Gerold Knoebel on January 11, 2022 at 5:55 pm

That’s right, fresh vegetables are a beautiful thing.
    I built some big planter boxes because the garden isn’t as big as yours in Canada. It works. The beans and cucumbers have already sprouted and I hope there is a good duck.

Greetings from Frankfurt

45. april worley on January 11, 2022 at 5:55 pm

loving having a female showing up for women out there! you go girl. we want equal rights and thats what it should be we do anything the men can even if we are weak we can think of a way to get things done. defiantly gonna watch more whoop whoop

46. Thomas Morse on January 11, 2022 at 5:59 pm

That’s that chicken catch-a-fire recipe. The garden looks great. A suggestion,if I may. Next time, throw the bags of top soil on a tarp and drag them down the hill. Want more fun digging? Put in some stairs on that hill. Lol. By the way, you have one heck of a view.

47. Ovidiu Carstea on January 11, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Nice shades, Jim! 😉

48. Shriya's Kutty Farm on January 11, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Good videoResult of hard work. Give your valuable comments to improve our channel thank you. Stay connected and stay blessed

49. janey rekats on January 11, 2022 at 6:01 pm

Just love 💘 you guys. Like chalk and cheese!! Perfect…..You do need to listen tho .. the wife is the ruler of her garden!! X

50. Misc Mitz on January 11, 2022 at 6:01 pm

I’m making my own raised beds