GREENHOUSE IN JANUARY, harvesting & sowing

GREENHOUSE IN JANUARY, harvesting & sowing

In this video you can see what we’re growing in our greenhouse during the colder months of the year, for a varied harvest throughout the winter. I am also sowing seeds for an extra early harvest in spring.

Support my channel and get additional content by becoming a Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/growntocook

Plants mentioned in video;

Website: http://www.growntocook.com/

– social –
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/growntocook/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vera.greutink

#wintergardening #permaculture #greenhouse

1. Friso van Overbeek on January 13, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Hi Vera, thx for sharing your video! What is your opinion about the nitrate-build-up in greenhouseplants around this time of the year taking into account the health of our bodies?

2. cheffy101 on January 13, 2022 at 4:18 pm

what country and growing zone are you in?

3. Hidden Harvest Off Grid on January 13, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Thank you!

4. Thomas on January 13, 2022 at 4:19 pm

Je vindt dit ECHT leuk hè? 🙂

5. Rosamay Beto on January 13, 2022 at 4:21 pm

😍😍😍

6. Wladzia Rivadeneyra on January 13, 2022 at 4:23 pm

The onions will grow 7 years after we’ll die. I keep the seeds so I can grow again.

7. bev Croft on January 13, 2022 at 4:24 pm

im doing my first over winter crops of garlic onions and beans and i see then sprouting today as i planted even more garlic lol also followed a video on planting sweatpeas now and they are growing too

8. Blackhuf on January 13, 2022 at 4:26 pm

thats a great greenhouse, you got there!

9. Renee White on January 13, 2022 at 4:26 pm

I live in Aurora, Oregon, USA. Zone 8b. Our winter nights rarely go below 26 degrees and stays in the 30’s from October to April. I have a very small space to grow in and most of that is in shade a lot of the time, but I believe in blooming where you’re planted. I’m becoming more skilled in growing in the shade and using the movement of the sun to determine my planting spaces through out the season. Every garden theory is useful but not always applicable. The theory that I rely on (because I don’t have a lot of season extenders) is to germinate and grow the seedling indoors to about 4 true leaves and then move them to the garden with protection (milk jug, frost cloth etc.) most plants can still grow without the heat as long as it has enough light. I am also experimenting with early varieties. My winter density lettuce germinated fine outside in our cold December with just a frost cloth over but the slugs wiped the entire crop out so I still have to grow it indoors until it’s large enough to withstand the slug attacks. I’ve been working on slug control extensively for the last 3 years and they are still extreme. They probably come in from the forest behind the property. I enjoy your gardening approach and I especially like your test result videos! You should rally your local growers to grow and do test result videos with you. That would be epic!

10. Ali's Allotment on January 13, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Wonderful range of greens that you picked from the greenhouse there. We just harvested rainbow carrots which was fun. Always look forward to your updates – stay safe. I grow coriander also during Winter.

11. Vishal Katariya on January 13, 2022 at 4:27 pm

Great video. Thank you! 🙂

12. Dennis Mehlsen on January 13, 2022 at 4:29 pm

I will be trying growing something for the first time this year… Completely new to a vegetable garden, and I am already doing it all wrong because of the way our house is located – rised beds on the shaded side. But I am eager and what ever happens happens – I can only learn and be better in 2022. Watched your Poly- video, recommended by Huw Richards… looking forward for more videos

13. itsteganyay on January 13, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Thank you for the video! I’m doing some winter sowing this year in my little unheated plastic greenhouse. I started a couple of weeks ago with brassicas, peas, leeks, onions, flowers and salads, but am now sprouting tomato and pepper seeds indoors with a heat mat. I plan to plant them out in wall-o-waters to keep them insulated from the cold whenever they are big enough, which has worked for me in the past in zone 8a. I’m moving to zone 7a in a month or so though, so hopefully it will still work. I forgot all about fennel, I’d better add it to my list of seeds to sow!

14. Jenna Vencill on January 13, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Your sweater look beautiful and comfy

15. Md Sumon mia on January 13, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Nice to see u again 🤗

16. CurriesWithLove on January 13, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Happy cooking. Stay safe👍

17. K Barnes on January 13, 2022 at 4:31 pm

I tried Landis Winter lettuce and Winter Density lettuce. Neither did very well. Any suggestions?

18. mel still on January 13, 2022 at 4:32 pm

The last couple winters have been milder in my area too, though I think we’ve gotten a little more precipitation.
    I just got my seeds for this year and will be starting some indoors soon.

19. The Weekendstead on January 13, 2022 at 4:34 pm

New to your channel and so happy to have found it! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Wondering if you’ve covered this before — you mentioned pumping water in one of the videos — do you have a water source at your garden plot?

20. Karen Andrian's Container Gardening on January 13, 2022 at 4:36 pm

I love your varieties of vegetables. I will be going back to see some things. I subscribed over two years ago, but did not hit the right bell so I did not get the notifications. I had to wait until you were back in my feed to realized my mistake. Those are great seeds you are putting. I will follow to see how they turned out. Just start my seeds. Peppers first. Herbs next.

21. city homestead on January 13, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Op dit moment staat er in de volle grond prei, knoflook, ui. Helaas nog te jong om te oogsten. Ik kan wel jerusalemse artisjok oogsten en laurier.

22. myke venable on January 13, 2022 at 4:41 pm

🥬🥕🥬🥕🥬

23. sonya shah on January 13, 2022 at 4:41 pm

Which month do you sow your lettuce seeds. How do you stop them from getting leggy. Do you direct sow or transplant

24. HMH on January 13, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Always enjoy watching your videos. Here we’ve also got parsley in the green house and mache or lamb’s ear lettuce, a favourite. I built a small hoop last year and am growing different winter hardy lettuces plus tatsoi and bok choi, unfortunately the slugs, probably because of milder winters, are active during winter as well and would demolish those crops if I had them in the ground. Might try sowing some carrots hidden in between the broad sown lamb’s ears, the slugs don’t seem to go in into that bed.

25. Ash on January 13, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Every other year you should add another layer of wood to make the raised beds a bit higher. That way when ure too old to bend down, the beds are at your height and ure still able to grow!!! Plus, easier to replenish the soil by just topping the year old soil with a layer of compost! 🤗

26. Mrinal Patra on January 13, 2022 at 4:43 pm

I am little jealous that you can start so far ahead of us. Here in Canada we cannot do much planting outside till Victoria day, normally in the 3rd week of May.

27. Cláudia Martins on January 13, 2022 at 4:44 pm

This year, after an extreme garden make-over during lockdown, I prepared it to resist winter, so I hoped. We are still harvesting leeks, many brassicas, including broccoli, and lettuce, all without a greenhouse protection. However we live in the northeast of Portugal which is one of the coldest in the country, but as you said winters are becoming milder by the year!

28. JAZ Farm on January 13, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, lettuce all went in yesterday

29. asbjorg vanderveer on January 13, 2022 at 4:46 pm

Happy gardening in 2021. Thank-you.

30. Imre Schuitemaker on January 13, 2022 at 4:47 pm

Love the video and what a beautiful sweater!

31. Garden Twitcher UK on January 13, 2022 at 4:50 pm

I enjoyed watching.

32. The Therapeutic Gardener on January 13, 2022 at 4:53 pm

I wish I could have a greenhouse. I use instead greenhouse plastic over my raised beds. I grew collards, kale, boo choi, savoy, and brussel sprouts. Like you, I should have started this the plants earlier. They didn’t go into the ground until September, but they are doing beautiful and taste awesome. I didn’t get the size on the kale and collards but the taste was still awesome. Very sweet and tender.

33. Sellativ on January 13, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Can you "bleach" those endives so they become the classic Witloof?

34. Anna Kubica on January 13, 2022 at 4:56 pm

First seeds in the ground, what about seeds ať home?Did You startéd some already?:)

35. Cameron Betts on January 13, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Smashing the uploads 😃 I think you’ll be interested in my mates videos also. He features tips and DIY info. Get on it ——> #HondaMobileMechanic 🤟🏼🚘

36. Andrew James on January 13, 2022 at 4:59 pm

Great video – I’m really pleased to have found your channel and look forward to watching your videos on gardening throughout 2021!! 🙂👍

37. TIERRA Y LOMBRICES on January 13, 2022 at 5:00 pm

I been growing green onions for almost 11 years they disappeared in the heat of the summer and comeback after the heat it’s gone.

38. WAgroforestry on January 13, 2022 at 5:00 pm

I perennialize my onions too!

39. Marcin Cupial on January 13, 2022 at 5:00 pm

I’m in Ireland and we’ve been sowing radish seeds in the greenhouse for the past couple of weeks. It’s soooo exciting to start sowing seeds all over again! 🙂

40. Wildrose on January 13, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Great to see just what can be grown in winter.
    I’ve just sown some Allium fistulosum (Welsh or Japanese bunching onions) which are perennial and produce a small bulb. I hope they grow as well as you ‘perennial’ spring onions.

41. Michael Plesch on January 13, 2022 at 5:09 pm

Nice relaxing video, but I must have missed something, where are you?

42. Magda on January 13, 2022 at 5:10 pm

which country is it in ? looks great

43. Simon B on January 13, 2022 at 5:12 pm

Our tatsoi is going to seed too, similar time as last year. What variety of pak choi is that? I really like mizuna as a winter crop, it grows very quickly.

44. Daniel on January 13, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Thank you for a wonderful insight. Do you make a trench around your lettuces to prevent mould? As I was watching I had this idea to do a trench later after the lettuces had enough time to root in. That would help to keep moisture around the roots in late summer.

45. Noble Sage on January 13, 2022 at 5:14 pm

Can you grown Jujube there, if so grow the Shanxi Li Jujube those are the biggest fruit and sweet too.

46. Mała Gośka on January 13, 2022 at 5:15 pm