Grow a Fall Container Vegetable Garden

Grow a Fall Container Vegetable Garden

Container gardening is ideal for starting plants in summer for fall growing and autumn harvest. Moving from hot summer temperatures to cooler weather provides conditions that many plants can benefit from. When freezing autumn nights threaten, portable containers give gardeners the chance to move tender plants to warmer protected areas to keep plants alive. With that flexibility, a fall container vegetable garden can provide extra and extended harvests. (Video#196)

Gardzen 15-gal Grow bags: https://amzn.to/2T4iP7H
Gardzen 20-gal Grow bags: https://amzn.to/2T0dZZ9

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code”GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

Videos to learn more:
“How to Plan a Fall Garden” https://youtu.be/jMBIm1godhE
“Why You Need a Fall Garden” https://youtu.be/NmCfzVUC3J0
“How to Plant a Fall Garden” https://youtu.be/GYQ-qYPpJQw
“The Best Plants for Container Gardens” https://youtu.be/u6PGdxuR4yI
“Getting Started with Container Gardening” https://youtu.be/nNGTQm-yD4U

Good container plants for fall:
Arugala, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, chard, kale, peas, lettuce, pac choi, lettuce, radish, spinach, turnips, cucumber, parsnips, rutabaga

#EnjoyGardening #GardenerScott

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

Support the channel with Gardener Scott merchandise at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

You can help support the GardenerScott channel in five ways that won’t cost you anything extra:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

5) Click on this affiliate link to TubeBuddy, a great way to explore information about your favorite YouTube channels: https://www.tubebuddy.com/GardenerScott

Your support helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel. Thank you!

1. Derek Cox on January 13, 2022 at 2:49 pm

A couple of things happened with my spring/summer garden this year that were sort of disappointing aside from just ugly thunderstorm activity,my spinach bolted before I even had a chance to harvest any of it,and the other thing was leaf miners. Leaf miners chewed up all my beet and chard plants early in the year. I’m looking forward now to planting all of these again(for greens only in the case of beets) just to see if I’ve actually been planting at the wrong time for my area.🤔 I have containers ready and some small seedlings ready to go in them,if I’m lucky I have 7 weeks before first frost,but if I can move the pots for the really cold nights I might actually get a harvest. Which would be really nice.

2. Paige A on January 13, 2022 at 2:50 pm

Gardener Scott, you are the best! Your videos inspired me during quarantine to create my very own container garden. I live in Wisconsin, but we are in the same grow zone so your videos have been most helpful. I recently purchased a greenhouse on Amazon to keep my fall seedlings in. I fell in love with gardening this year, and I look forward ro to continuing this hobby for years to come. Thank you for inspiring and educating me this year! It seemed that your videos and uploads corresponded so well with any issue I was having or any question I had. I look forward to watching your videos in the future and seeing what more I can do with my garden.

3. Rebeca Orsi on January 13, 2022 at 2:54 pm

Do you have a greenhouse?

4. Ben There on January 13, 2022 at 2:54 pm

You are absolutely correct. Good call.

5. Charles Hudson on January 13, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Hello Scott…completely off topic here….just went out to garden and found numerous yellow squash and zucchini that had been hollowed out (eaten) not by insects…will a squirrel or other animal animal that you know of do this…I live in VA

6. Natalia Andrievskaya on January 13, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the video! Do you let peppers die off with the frost or do you overwinter them? I thought overwintering them yields better crop next year as you have a mature plant earlier in the season 🤔

7. LKH Fun on January 13, 2022 at 3:03 pm

I was inspired to grow late summer and fall crops from previous shows. Now I have a plan how I will do it. Sorting through my seeds while I watch. 🙂

8. David Judd on January 13, 2022 at 3:03 pm

Thank you for sharing.

9. Michele Myers on January 13, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Your advice, and calming voice has made such a impact on mental heath through these hard times! Thank you for making a positive impact on lives!

10. Dee C on January 13, 2022 at 3:08 pm

What plants do you have under the hoop and plastic?

11. Nolan Mouton on January 13, 2022 at 3:10 pm

I really enjoy your instruction. I’m new to this; and it is obvious that other channels are pretty focused on selling something. I feel like I learn something when I listen to you. Thanks.

12. mike k on January 13, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Im not growing a fall garden, I just got ate up really bad by mosquitos…. Just not worth it… legs are on fire!

13. Pat Z on January 13, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Hi,
    Love your videos!
    This is the very first year we had a bumper crop of tomatoes!
    I was in the nursery & a man in front of me had a 6 pkg of best boy tomatoes? I had a small container of the same & he said to me, you know, if you put that back & get a 6 pkg, you’ll have so many tomatoes this year! He was right but it brought rats!!! We contacted vectors & got traps but they were going crazy eating my tomatoes! I started picking them when they were just turning colors & we were able to enjoy them, giving them away & freezing some.
    Now, in SanDiego it’s so hot, they are dying so after the last tomato,we’ll amend the soil and plant fall crops.
    My question is, how do you keep critters from eating kale plants? I don’t know if it’s rats or bugs but how do you keep critters off of your veggies organically?
    I scattered pulverized eggshells around, sprayed the leaves with jalapeño infused water but was told that it would taste like jalapeño kale!!
    What do you do?

14. LKH Fun on January 13, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Your beet spacing demo was simple but genius! It really click why I should space out my plants. My carrots looked too sparse when I started thinning them so I quit. Now I have half-inch diameter carrots. I am going to take a mature vegetable with me when planting or thinning so I can SEE what I am shooting for. LOL

15. Ohske on January 13, 2022 at 3:21 pm

👍👍👍👌♥️

16. You nuz on January 13, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Mantap pak. Bantuin ya..😀

17. Elisa Taylor on January 13, 2022 at 3:22 pm

I’ve done my entire summer garden in containers and will do the same with the fall. My sister as well as the man who works with me both lost their gardens to the heat. I just moved my tomato plants and cucumber plants to under a tree. They’re not totally happy but they’re hanging in there. I’m picking a few Black Prince tomatoes each day. My white cucumber plants are blooming so hopefully soon. I want to do Brussel sprouts when the weather gets cooler.

18. Yaniris Encarnación on January 13, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Hi Scott, I just order the grow bags listed here. how well do they work? I’m hoping I can grow cabbage and cauliflower in them. hope this is big enough for these vegetables.

19. Thomas Adams on January 13, 2022 at 3:27 pm

My new home will be in Panguitch Utah. It is zone 5B. Would a hoop house or a greenhouse be better for things like tomatoes, peppers, and so on? Thanks for the video Gardner Scott.

20. Nick Clarke on January 13, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Scott,

Your channel is great and has none of the gimmicky YouTube stuff some other gardeners put in their videos. There’s no fluff of filler, just all information. I really appreciate that and it’s what keeps me coming back to your videos after each upload.

Thanks for the info!
    Nick

21. Lorna J Bartlett on January 13, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Thank you Gardner Scott just exactly what I needed to hear in this video is very encouraging to know how to do things I appreciate you taking the time to share this information about gardening in containers, see you again, happy gardening!👩‍🌾👨‍🌾

22. Myra Gooden on January 13, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Why I do not get the root vegetables on my beets, carrots and radishes?

23. Heidi Clark on January 13, 2022 at 3:32 pm

What a great idea since not everyone has a large yard to grow a garden in. I have some 7 gallon square and round pots that I can plant in. I will try this.

24. Altanic on January 13, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Great info Mr. Scott. Luckily enough all my container plants are right outside our back door.
    Do you think they will still be okay, even in the basement? Would the peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, or even some of the flowers have a chance to survive some of those night temperatures?

It would be interesting to get a video later on around the frost, and talk more about what happens when certain vegetables go through some frost. People mention the veggies get sweeter, are there physical signs to note when things like that happen?

25. María Elena Ochoa on January 13, 2022 at 3:40 pm

Hello Gardener Scott, I love to watch all your videos and that’s helped me a lot to lean more for my Urban Garden. I’m in quarrantine so not be able to get mulch for my plants. Is it ok to use coconut mulch that I have already? It’s the direct trash of the people that sell the coconut water and the meat of it. Thanks a lot ¡ greetings from Guadalajara.

26. kdiggs on January 13, 2022 at 3:45 pm

More wonderful content. Thank you.
    I love researching and experimenting in the garden, and your channel is always so informational.
    Did you enjoy the master gardener cert. process? If you’d consider it, a video on that would be awesome.

27. Patricia Okafor on January 13, 2022 at 3:45 pm

What type of plants can tolerate cold weather ?? !! I live England!!Thank you for sharing