How Identify and Treat Whiteflies in Your Vegetable Garden: Hose, Soap & Oil, 3 Cycles – TRG 2015

Garden whiteflies are common and can become an infestation. I show you how to easily identify them in your vegetable garden. The treatment method consists of spraying them down with a hose and then with a soap and oil spray every 5 days for 3 cycles. I discuss how to spray and how to make the mixture. Always start with a weaker mixture and build up. Tomatoes my require a less potent mix as their leaves can damage more easily.

Always test spray new sprays by spraying a few leaves and waiting a full 24-48 hours to look for spray damage.

Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden – Thanks!

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

Here is The Rusted Garden Link to Amazon for Seed Starting & Gardening Supplies
http://amzn.to/2FgufvF Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Subscribe to My YouTube Channel (800 Garden Videos) – The Rusted Garden: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilarchik

Follow me on Instagram for Harvest Pictures, Updates and Monthly Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: http://www.therustedgarden.blogspot.com

Contact Me at therustedgarden@gmail.com

1. Red Toberts on January 14, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Don’t use olive oil neat, unless you want dead plants.

2. Bret Ebey on January 14, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Gary, great videos. Thanks for your hard work. What kind of sprayer is that that directs the spray upward? How long do you find it lasts? And do you have a link? Thanks!

3. seethroughwalls on January 14, 2022 at 2:52 pm

Greetings from Denmark and the urban tomato garden thriving on my balcony. Yes, we have whiteflies in Copenhagen too. Thanks for an excellent video, I plan to follow your instructions.

4. Liberty Garden on January 14, 2022 at 2:53 pm

Are you talking dish soap? I once used it, perhaps it was more than what you recommend, but the ammonia burned the leafs on my plants.

5. Billy Melgar on January 14, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Spray soap on my veggies???🤔💭 I don’t like foaming at the mouth when I eat my salad… 🥗

6. Chris Alexander on January 14, 2022 at 2:57 pm

White flies are little bastards. Even when I have killed them off they magically show up months weeks or years later.

7. Ken Isbell on January 14, 2022 at 2:58 pm

I thought you might have a secret weapon

8. yes350yes on January 14, 2022 at 2:58 pm

Yes you can blast some off as you could aphids, but seems it would be better to just go in with the spray mix . I get these devils every year on my tomato plants.

9. shashakeeleh on January 14, 2022 at 2:58 pm

White flies multiply fast! Here in zone 8, they’ll eat up tomatoes bigtime!

10. Duane T64 on January 14, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Thanks Gary….THUMBS UP

11. Kaeben on January 14, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Nice spray bottle

12. neverlostforwords on January 14, 2022 at 3:01 pm

My mix is: one teaspoon Enviroclean fruit and veg wash, two drops lavender oil, two drops clove oil, two drops rosemary oil, one spoon olive oil, fill bottle with filtered water and shake to mix. Works very well but you need to reapply after rain.

13. Spanish IN Atlanta on January 14, 2022 at 3:01 pm

so any soap works? Thanks for sharing info!

14. Hail Kalb on January 14, 2022 at 3:03 pm

What exactly is ‘a quart’ of water?

15. IsaiahLegrant on January 14, 2022 at 3:04 pm

Nasty little buggers! It’s nice to meet another gardener that posts on YouTube!
    Many people do not think of just spraying the plants leaves like how you did, and usually snip the whole leaf off, which I suppose works but does waste your plant’s energy and in the long run could harm the overall plant.
    -Zay

16. Anthony Ivan Aglugub Jr. on January 14, 2022 at 3:05 pm

Wow Cail Kim Treats With Milk! Even Mention Not Name could Figure out looks like You Neem Gary in Curing Plant Pests Diseases. Have You Both Met Personally?

17. Ginmars1 on January 14, 2022 at 3:06 pm

Thanks Gary!! I think I have white flies on some Elephant Ears, is this possible? Also I have some lettuce and spinach seedlings are they susceptible to white flies too and is it too soon to spray seedlings to protect them? Love your tips!! Also, wouldn’t it be more effective to spray the white flies while they are on the leaves to kill them than knocking them off with water then spraying the leaves to kill them when they return?

18. אביחי שמילה on January 14, 2022 at 3:06 pm

and cucamber I have a worm from the butterfly

19. Reanna Villarreal on January 14, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Is this okay for hibiscus plants?

20. Cultivating Organic by Jo & Mig on January 14, 2022 at 3:09 pm

Great tips on the whiteflies treatment, Gary.  They’re really on my sweet potatoes this year.  Thanks.

21. mrob75 on January 14, 2022 at 3:09 pm

My problem with white flies is that each year they attack my Virginia Creeper that grows along my back wall. My wall is about 32 feet long made of rock (I live in the desert southwest). My Creeper begins to bloom as early as March. By April, I have a lush green Creeper cascading on both sides of the rock wall. Come June, and the white flies appear and literally kill off the entire vine. This year I attempted to combat them with all sorts of insecticidal soaps, oils, dish soap, etc. with a weed sprayer pump. Again, this year, the white flies won and ravished my vine. Would it help to apply soaps, oils BEFORE they arrive as maybe as the vine begins to grow? Thanks.

22. Ernest on January 14, 2022 at 3:10 pm

So many bugs in north America. 🦗🦟🐞

23. Rajish Maharaj on January 14, 2022 at 3:10 pm

When i make this spray can i store in the frdige n for how,long.i think im getting this Whiteflies on my pakchoi n mustard bhagi

24. Deb Blakeslee on January 14, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Thanks!!!

25. WetWork on January 14, 2022 at 3:14 pm

I don’t see those white patches of eggs on my Night Blooming Jasmine. When I give the tree a slight shake they all fly out. I’ve hosed the tree down and used all kinds of sprays; some natural and some not. They just don’t want to leave. I’m starting to think that maybe these aren’t white flies, but don’t really know what else they could be. Is it normal for them to be feeding off Night Blooming Jasmine?

26. Ammo Giant on January 14, 2022 at 3:19 pm

I have white flies all in my bushes how should I treat them. I’m taking small leaves. I can’t spray them individually. What do you recommend. Thanks

27. GamePro on January 14, 2022 at 3:20 pm

Can you please help me more, What do you mean of oil? Food oil or vehicle oil?
    And does sparying alchohol+water+soap work too?

28. dana2542 on January 14, 2022 at 3:26 pm

I have discovered white flies on my Mexican milkweed Martha Washington germaniums I need a solution ht will not harm monarchs

29. nature lover on January 14, 2022 at 3:26 pm

nice

30. Gary Pilarchik (The Rusted Garden) on January 14, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Seed Starting Supplies: http://amzn.to/2GrGaZ7 Please Support The Rusted Garden:
    Garden Fertilizers: http://amzn.to/2DIQDRY By using these Amazon links, any Amazon purchase
    Garden Disease & Pest Control: http://amzn.to/2Fqvl8e you make returns a % of sales back to TRG.
    Grow Lights:http://amzn.to/2GudeiO I turn most of that back into the garden and videos.
    Amazon General Search Page: http://amzn.to/2DZBzyZ THANKS! Greatly Appreciated – Gary (TRG)

I have Neem Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sprayers, Seeds and so much more at my shop…Please check out my Seed & Garden Shop for your gardening needs at http://www.therustedgarden.com

31. opethjewel on January 14, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I have white flies on my small tomatoe plants they are less than a foot tall. Can I just say them with the soap/oil/water mix? Also I am also worried they will spread to my bell pepper plants.

32. Clara Slate on January 14, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Great tip! I had these buggers on my basil years back. Adding to my favorites to lookup later! Thanks!

33. otrot land on January 14, 2022 at 3:28 pm

what would the mix be for a gallon of water? thanks

34. robyn mize on January 14, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Thank you for capturing on video the actual white flies… under the leaves and flying off.

35. Nancy LO on January 14, 2022 at 3:30 pm

Gary, is there an easy way to treat tomato plants since spraying each and every leaf will take forever because of the smaller leaves? thx

36. Tony Congram on January 14, 2022 at 3:31 pm

Thanks for addressing Gary. There are few home gardener resources out there on the whitefly subject. There has been a HUGE (i.e. clouds of them) infestation in my (CO Front Range) garden this year – especially affecting tomato, bean, squash and pepper plants. Unfortunately I did not catch it early and they took-hold on a widespread basis. VERY hard to control when they really get bad.

37. byRedsirens on January 14, 2022 at 3:34 pm

Good video. What type of soap should I use?

38. Silversurfer Herald of Galactus on January 14, 2022 at 3:36 pm

I’m confused won’t you kill more flys if you hit them straight with the soap spray rather then dispersing them with water?

39. Carolyn Anderson on January 14, 2022 at 3:36 pm

What about houseplants and flowers

40. Maurice湯 茂 林 on January 14, 2022 at 3:37 pm

We’ve been having some up and down weather here in San Francisco. The aphids and the whiteflies love it. They seem to love irises and albutilons. I wish I could only use just water, soap and oil. They only thing I’ve seen work is Pyretheum (concentrated Chrysanthemum oil) and water.

41. Muhammad Firdaus Samsudin on January 14, 2022 at 3:37 pm

How about planting a Marigold around the vege, I read somewhere that Marigold release some poisoinus chemical from the root that would be fatal for the white flies and alphid.

42. Michael C on January 14, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Yep. Found them on potato plants. 3 cycles here we go…
    Thank you Gary!!!

43. Ibrahim Haail on January 14, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Hello . How much water is required in litres for the measurement of ingredients you gave . Thanks

44. Ken Isbell on January 14, 2022 at 3:40 pm

does anybody have any good ideas to kill leafminers

45. Ogeti Reddappa on January 14, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Great video with good explanation. I will follow this on hibiscus plant infested by white flies in our house plant.

46. Forging Freedom TV on January 14, 2022 at 3:48 pm

Had these buggars on my grape leaves last year. I have a purple grape like a concord, but it isn’t. Right next to this one IS a concord. They were all over the purple grape, but not a one on the concords. I dealt with them by severely pruning the grape and burning the vines. Seemed to work cause I haven’t seen them since, but I’m happy for this info because I’m sure they are lurking somewhere. Does this same recipe work for aphids too?

47. Cynthia Stevens on January 14, 2022 at 3:49 pm

Very helpful, thank you for a great video. A friend told me that she tried your method and it really works.

48. Jeff Gibson on January 14, 2022 at 3:50 pm

I have lots of aphids and white flies this fall. they are in my cucumbers, squash , cantaloupe, peas etc. The think is I have 22, 200 ft rows. It would take a while to do all of it.

49. onlybev1 on January 14, 2022 at 3:50 pm

Great info as always.

50. nery colon's garden on January 14, 2022 at 3:51 pm

i had the same problem. Especially my peppers. Do you have anything on how to get rid of fire ants? They are a pest also. Great video