How Much Does It Cost To Build a CHEAP Raised bed in 2022 Vs. 2015?

How Much Does It Cost To Build a CHEAP Raised bed in 2022 Vs. 2015?

In 2015 we uploaded a video that went viral. It was titled “How to build raised beds for cheap” and in that video we showed how you could build a raised bed for as inexpensive as possible. In this episode we are doing the same. How much more will it cost? Let’s find out.

We do more than, JUST, YouTube!
Check more MIgardener below:

Start growing! Visit our online store for $2 heirloom seeds, custom blend fertilizers and gardening tools.

We ship worldwide!
Website/shop: http:www.migardener.com/store

our daily blog: https://migardener.com/blog
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MIgardener
instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MIgardener

send garden snail mail to:
MIgardener
227 Huron Ave
Port Huron MI 48060

Our book is out! The Auto Pilot Garden. A guide to hands-free gardening – every method and bit of knowledge that we use to grow big! Check it out here: https://migardener.com/store/the-autopilot-garden-a-guide-to-hands-off-gardening/
————————————————————————————————————
Love what we do? Here is how you can support this channel to create more content, at no additional cost to you!

Shop on Amazon with this link : https://amzn.to/3HFpsEb *

Per popular request we have created an Amazon Storefront with all our most tried and true Amazon finds. If we wouldn’t use it we would not endorse it: https://www.amazon.com/shop/migardener *

*We get a small commission at NO cost to you.

Thank you all so much for watching and Grow BIG!

1. Shannon Cook on January 14, 2022 at 3:25 pm

I like to staple rodent wire on the bottom along with weed wrap on mine

2. Linda Petersen on January 14, 2022 at 3:26 pm

This makes me think of the boards on the deck now they have been stain over and over again but I have 1 inch thick boards 16 ft long by 6 inches wide so am going to put two together for a board on the deck and use the OLD boards from the deck for the garden as I need to replace them I can do it Luke !!! Am a old school person who thinks this way for life!!! Have pots that I use in the garden and I don’t throw my soil away at the end of the growing yr it is saved in garbage cans for the winter months!!! Have done it this way for yrs now and they are in a circle so the sun gets to them have a compost pile also in the middle of those cans that help with the cost of gardening !!!

3. David G on January 14, 2022 at 3:28 pm

When to buy pine a board it is only one and a half inch thick ..a pressure-treated deck board 6 in x 8 feet long pressure treated deck board and five and a half inches high and one and a quarter of an inch thinner than what you have cost $4.19 at Lowe’s. Why would you want to use 2 by pine lumber when you can use a 5/4 pressure-treated deck board for so much less money? And you’re right the pressure-treated today is not dangerous to use around a garden. I can build a 4 by 8 double layer raised bed with six 6 x 8 x 5/4 boards at $4.19 a piece that’s $25 and the screws which really when you think about it aren’t even worth mentioning when you’re only going to need 12 of them to put the whole thing together and in the end I have a 6 by 8 by 11 inch high raised bed. I use 12 inch pieces of a 2×2 x 8 pressure treated at the corners to connect the. 4 ft ends to the 8 ft sides. Total cost around $26 counting the 2 by 2 by 8 cut into 8 inch pieces

4. Katie Maguire on January 14, 2022 at 3:30 pm

Let’s go Brandon

5. Suzanne Stack on January 14, 2022 at 3:32 pm

My first beds this spring are exactly this. I went to the lumber yard, bought 16′ boards and had them cut my lengths. They didn’t charge me anything extra. The 16′ boards were the best price per foot. They have the manpower and the big saws. I went home , screwed everything together and painted with raw linseed oil. Voila! Beautiful beds ready to fill and grow.

6. Penny Laur on January 14, 2022 at 3:33 pm

Off subject but. Im noticing your little trees behind you. Are they cedar? I planted a row across the front of my house, wanting a hedge. Mine are pointed same as yours but I want a squared off hedge. If you cut the tops would they fill in between? I planted only about 2 ‘ apart. Im hoping so.

7. Dillon Smith on January 14, 2022 at 3:34 pm

Hey Luke, have you ever done tomato starts a bunch at a time all close together in a single 10×20 tray like you do with your onions?

8. Chocolate chip on January 14, 2022 at 3:35 pm

I’m glad I went with all galvanized.

9. Connecticut Worms & Gardens on January 14, 2022 at 3:35 pm

I used those same cheap kits back in 2007. Going on 15 years ago now. Yes, they began to fall apart a few years ago but rather than spend the money to replace them, I just went to my local dump and went to the lumber section and found boards that I could attach to the perimeter to make them stronger and get a few more years out of them. It cost me nothing other than a trip to the dump. The sites like free cycle or trash nothing always have people giving away wood or bricks or logs, any of which can be used as raised bed material. No one said it has to be traditional 2x4s or 4x4s or whatever. I have some with boulders, others with red bricks that I got from a house that was demoed and others with the cheap kits that were beefed up with free wood and even a old bathtub that was thrown out. So while you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on today’s current product prices, you can also improve that old raised bed rather than replacing it and do it for free

10. Angel's in the Closet on January 14, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Can you do a raised bed raised high enough for a person in a wheelchair? Id like to see a table high garden, something that we wouldnt have to be on our knees to work.

11. Tab P on January 14, 2022 at 3:39 pm

I used some leftover fence panels to make a few new raised beds this fall, because they were too old to be returned, I had too much grass area and needed some new compost spots. Deck screws were also leftover. They probably won’t last more than a couple years, but they’re 6" high and should be very functional. One 12’x12”12′ triangle and one 12’x6′ rectangle bed Win win in my book.

12. Mr. B Chick on January 14, 2022 at 3:40 pm

If you back your car into your garage door when it is down/closed and need to replace it you can use sections of the broken door for a raised bed. Just sink 4×4 posts in each corner (concrete recommended) and then use a cut off wheel to cut the door panels to the length needed; then bolt them to the corner posts. Fill the interior of the box up!

13. Ray Vin on January 14, 2022 at 3:41 pm

Prices dont decline because HBS teaches that you do not ever decrease pricing! So you do know who runs the big companies? right?

14. Red Bear Preparedness on January 14, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Use 8” concrete blocks. They’re cheaper than wood, especially in the long run. They will last 10 times longer than wood, if not a lifetime. You can plant flowers or herbs in the holes.

15. 911LookuptheLavon Affair on January 14, 2022 at 3:43 pm

You made some videos about growing stuff indoors a while ago. Do grow tents with the reflective interior material really help your plants grow any faster?

16. Vickie Boudwin on January 14, 2022 at 3:45 pm

Is it possible to use cement cinder blocks as a boarder

17. Chris Jones on January 14, 2022 at 3:45 pm

I go to home construction sites to get wood. There always throwing away lumber of various sizes.

18. Candace MacPherson on January 14, 2022 at 3:45 pm

I used old deck wood for three beds last year. They are different dimensions because of trying to use as much good wood and cutting out rot. I also used cinder blocks for one with blocks I had and wasn’t using. My last bed cost $75 and I would have skipped it except I sent my husband to grab the lumber and had already made the cut for one before finding out the cost. This year I am using some stone blocks for one and am thinking of de-barked logs for another, digging down and only having a small portion of the new soil above ground. I love the look of these beds; however, I’m already a mis-match look and it all looks great when the garden is in bloom.

19. Nathalie Havok on January 14, 2022 at 3:48 pm

If youre not picky about looks, you can use fallen logs for a raised garden bed. The bigger the log the longer it lasts and it only breaks down into food for the garden. Totally free and healthier for the garden. Take a ride down the back country roads and pick up fallen trees and logs.

20. Steven A on January 14, 2022 at 3:48 pm

For my raised bed, I used regular untreated lumber, I used my weed burner and charred all the side and ends and attached them with 3.5” deck screws, and thus far, they’d lasted 4 years.

21. Deanna Lynne on January 14, 2022 at 3:49 pm

Don’t forget to add the fabric grow bags, my plants did great in those last year and, of course, the food grade buckets for certain plants.

22. Pam Smith on January 14, 2022 at 3:50 pm

I found a local sawmill that cuts and sells cedar boards. Buying the 2nds that they had was very economical and made awesome beds.

23. Aidan Woodward on January 14, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Lol I’ll just use the ground
    We can’t pay for something we already own!

24. R. Perkins on January 14, 2022 at 3:56 pm

I have woven sides using tree branches. The larger pieces are used as stakes, and the brush is woven leaving any spare branches and leaves inside as hugelkultur. Just need some loppers, a saw and a big hammer. Cost ZERO, no steel and no preservatives. Fast and effective for low beds.

25. Lana loves Jesus on January 14, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Price of wood has more then doubled.

26. Joseph Henry on January 14, 2022 at 4:00 pm

In my area, I have access to many independent sawmills, where I can get boards like cedar pretty cheap. I can build an 8x4x6 raised bed from cedar for around 30 bucks. The soil is around 60, but much cheaper than buying from a big box store. Try to find a local saw mill.

27. Lee Tran on January 14, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Luke, I love your channel and have followed you for a few years now. I’m only mentioning this as a word of caution and not criticism. Treated wood typically will tell you what it is treated with on the end tag of the piece you are purchasing. Some wood has CCA which is (arsenic chromium and copper), but most wood at your local box store will be treated with MCA (Micronized Copper Azole) which sounds like copper, but the SDS will tell you otherwise. MCA is actually Copper carbonate and Tebuconazole, both of which can be poisonous if swallowed. For this reason, I have always built my gardens with untreated southern yellow pine (SYP), cedar or a non-wood material. Hope this helps and keep up the good work. Your videos are great.

28. Blue Girl on January 14, 2022 at 4:03 pm

I ordered 8 of the 3′ by 8′ galvanized steel beds from overstock during black friday for a great deal! Being steel they should last forever!

29. Delekham on January 14, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Have you ever thought of making YOUR own "Pressure Treated" Lumber? It is a Japanese technique, that allows Soft Wood, Fire and Canola Oil or some other type of Oil. It will last longer than Today’s Pressure Treated lumber.
    P.S. IF you drill on the edges of any wood, PLEASE burn the Screw in! Place the Drill in Reverse and wait until it starts smoking! Then put the Drill in the Forward position and drive the screw home. It will never split the wood. It is the same concept as Dulling a nail (Hit it with a hammer on the point of nail).
    No need for anything else! Other than 6 screws per joint. That is mandatory.. Every 2" a screw is needed. I realize that I am talking "Structural" with the amount of screws needed, but I am of the age that sometimes MOAR is better.
    Peace, and I love your channel.

30. Erin Hall Makes on January 14, 2022 at 4:08 pm

When I built my beds five or six years ago after having watched a lot of your videos I decided I wanted mine more raised I used I believe 2×8 too high so I wish I’d gone taller and used 2×2’s in the corners and I think the two maybe three places along the sides as braces on the inside that were also then steaks that went down into the ground to try to hold the whole thing stable and prevent it from boeing. It’s worked pretty well. Definitely some of the wood is getting rotted which I fully expected but overall it’s doing well

31. Auf Tour im Garten // Garden Tour on January 14, 2022 at 4:08 pm

Nice video 👍 We build at least one raised bed every year using palettes that we get for free. Happy New Year 🎊🎆 to everyone 💕

32. bigjohn1971 on January 14, 2022 at 4:09 pm

good video, i have all raised beds also. mine are 90% reclaimed/discounted materials. save ALOT of money. not that pretty but i am not eating the looks but eating what is growing in them.

33. Rem’s Family on January 14, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Well done! Awesome!

34. Caroline Rose on January 14, 2022 at 4:12 pm

I just moved, so I’m starting a new garden that will have raised beds. But with the cost of lumber being so high, I decided to build them out of concrete fence blocks which will never rot. I figure I can build a dry stacked 4′ x 10′ x 16" tall raised bed out of fence blocks for about $50 incl. tax. If I decide to put reinforcement and concrete in the corner blocks it will cost a little more, but not much more.

35. Siluvian on January 14, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Why are more people not using cinder block raised beds? You build it once and it lasts forever.

36. Free Will Choice on January 14, 2022 at 4:18 pm

I cut down some decent sized trees, set them up how I wanted my beds to be, added leaves, wood chips, compst, kitchen scraps, loaded biochar and wala, free….plus, when they break down, I got more food for my plants which in turn, feed me. No chemicals, no pesticides, all goodness!

37. Tjdiamond26 on January 14, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Yup I redid my 4 4×4 boxes- 2×12. Cost was about $18 per board. Expensive but they will last. I still use the old ones.

38. Tracie Hildebrandt on January 14, 2022 at 4:19 pm

I’m super lucky, I get free wood from work. It comes with our bar stock.

39. TiaSeverino on January 14, 2022 at 4:19 pm

You know, it’s still technically 2021

40. Sontana on January 14, 2022 at 4:20 pm

I placed two orders for seeds and it’s not shipped yet? Why it’s taking so long

41. Tina Bloomfield on January 14, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Wow!!! The costs have gone up astronomically 😨

42. MorroccoM13 on January 14, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Never use pressure treated marked CCA (Copper Chromated Arsenate)

43. Terence Keane on January 14, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Biden beds

44. Nathalie Havok on January 14, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Go to your local furniture stores, they have really nice pallets that they use one time and then throw away. True 2x4s are used for larger furniture. Most places are hppy for you too take the since most dont fit in the dumpster. Free lumbar, most is pressure treated and needs just a coat of weather proofing. Possibilities are endless. I just made a whole chicken coop for the price of the nails because rent-a-center throws away pallets by the stacks weekly.

45. laura gillette on January 14, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Why not try the galvanized steel raised beds instead of wood????

46. John Clarke on January 14, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Cheap for today at Lowe’s you can still purchase 5/8 inch thick 5-1/2 inches wide by 6 foot long for $2.14 each. They have longer also

47. POOPY PUPPY PRODUCTIONS on January 14, 2022 at 4:22 pm

FUNCTIONAL, PRACTICAL AND FREE. I use old ice chests, old refrigerators/freezers, gutted washing machines/dryers, useless old boats (expensive to dump at a landfill), stacked rocks, wood, branches, etc., dog food bags, plastic lined carboard boxes, ANYTHING that will hold soil and keep out the animals (rabbits.) lol

48. herbsthewerd1 on January 14, 2022 at 4:22 pm

If you’re on a budget, nothing beats free pallets for small wood projects. Many pallets that I’ve picked up are built with full size 8′ 2×4’s. It’s crazy how much free wood is sitting behind Lowes.

49. Cablegirl 90 on January 14, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Half of my backyard is in a " flood zone" and if it rains enough is quiet squishy so I went with cinder blocks for my raised beds. I built 2 beds/ double stacked with inside dimensions of 4′ x 20′ ish and 1 bed / double stacked 4′ x 10′ ish . This will be year 3 and still going strong. I’m in NE Kansas

50. Urban Gardening with D.A. Hänks on January 14, 2022 at 4:24 pm

Things are definitely getting pricey. I build mine using 2x6x8 tiers, so that I can raise them as I create more soil. I also have to line them with tarpaper, add plastic pallets to make a raised floor, flash any gaps, and then line that with fabric to keep the maple roots from invading. If someone is on a budget, it’s about $30 per tier to build this way. I also put 2×4 corner and center posts on the long sides for extra strength (German over-engineering, LOL).