Health Concerns About Treated Wood for Garden Boxes

Health Concerns About Treated Wood for Garden Boxes

Health Concerns About Treated Wood for Garden Boxes. Part of the series: Winter Planning for Spring Gardens. Pressure treated wood, when used in raised vegetable gardens, can be a cause for concern. Learn about the toxic substances contained in treated wood with help from a gardener in this free video on raised garden beds. Read more: http://www.ehow.com/video_7676424_health-treated-wood-garden-boxes.html

1. john2510 on February 10, 2022 at 10:51 pm

Any comment on the comments? Seems unlikely that wood from 2004 would still be on the market in 2015, when you published this, let alone now.

2. Kyle Dewar on February 10, 2022 at 11:02 pm

So is 2020 brown treated wood safe for vegetables assuming i line it with plastic?

3. Wolf6151 on February 10, 2022 at 11:18 pm

December 2003 the EPA banned the sale of CCA treated lumber for residential use.

4. Antenna Wilde on February 10, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Isolating pressure-treated wood by lining the inside of a bed with heavy plastic to prevent leaching of chemicals from the wood into the soil is trading one bad for another.
    Plastics contain and leach hazardous chemicals, including endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) that threaten human health. You’re better off just keeping the wood there, as the plastic will break down much faster and IMO is worse than the copper etc in the pressure treated wood.

5. tribulation138 on February 10, 2022 at 11:19 pm

they dont use arsenic anymore since 2003

6. art88 on February 10, 2022 at 11:27 pm

I thought it would it be safer to use cinder blocks but….. ???? https://youtu.be/V8-0qbgYJig

7. BAZZinator on February 10, 2022 at 11:28 pm

they haven’t used arsenic for almost 2 decades

8. Janet Ricamara on February 10, 2022 at 11:35 pm

I used pressure treated wood for my garden box but I let it sit for almost a year before filling with soil. I just filled it today and will be planting my vegetables this week. Should I still be worried? 🙁