How to Make Modern Garden Planters

How to Make Modern Garden Planters

Watch me as I show you how I make modern garden planters that are a more substantial and lot cheaper than the ones you find in DIY shops and garden centres.

This type of project is perfect of the keen DIY’er as it is straight forward, doesn’t require specialist tools and the result is useful and economical. The main principals involved can be modified very easily to custom made all shapes and sizes of planters to suit your property so have fun with it and … Give It A Go!

Cutting list:
26 No. 395mm 38×63 (24 No. sides, 2 No. feet)
4 No. 357mm short edge / 485mm long edge – 45 deg mitre at each end (top)

Amazon links to the materials used in this video…

► Plastic Internal DPM Sheeting: https://amzn.to/3cSkc32

The Amazon links above are affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you anything to click on them but I do earn a small commission if you do. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

1. michael govers on February 14, 2022 at 10:54 pm

There was a small problem with this video Steward, it was just too short, I get completely lost watching you work, thanks for sharing 🙂

2. Investing In Your Life on February 14, 2022 at 10:55 pm

Great Video with a well thought of solution all round. Thanks

3. flyc3 on February 14, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Another cracking video! Discovered your channel the other day and am now binge watching everything. Love the ‘changing rooms’ style intro and your delivery too – relaxed, not pompous know-it-all like others. Thanks for all the tips!

4. Tony Mach on February 14, 2022 at 10:58 pm

fabric for weed control? I would have just put a bounty paper towel. Thanks for the finer detail!! Subscribing now!

5. Voice Of Truth on February 14, 2022 at 10:58 pm

I’ve subscribed. It’s so nice to see someone to do it from Britain. Its easy to click on the link and buy from uk website. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Can you please let me know what’s the white paint you used and what did you use to protect the wood from weather. Many thanks

6. Sean Kelly on February 14, 2022 at 10:58 pm

I had an altercation with a cucumber 😂😂

7. Bob Denton on February 14, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Well done, and your design is exceptional! I’ll be avoiding all future encounters with cucumbers per your caveat…

8. Colleen Scott Carmello on February 14, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Recently came across your channel and love love listening to you talk.. from the states so to me you have an accent..:)) and your funny :)) and I learn some new stuff .. thanks :)) just got to sub now.. just got to. :)) ok get on with it.. :))

9. Phil Tebble on February 14, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Brill as ever my friend 👍

10. Ash Bux on February 14, 2022 at 11:01 pm

thanks loved this vid!

11. Andrew Robinson on February 14, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Be interested to see how those mitres hold up in a couple of years. General consensus is not to use mitres on external projects due to seasonal wood movement. Time will tell with these. Otherwise very contemporary looking, solid, functional planters.

12. Terry Johnson on February 14, 2022 at 11:05 pm

I’m making these at the weekend for a mate of mine who stumbled across your channel 👍🏼 first we need a bank loan what with the cost of C16 in the UK 😂

13. TheWAQSGuy on February 14, 2022 at 11:06 pm

They look nice but I would be worry not allowing wood to expand or shrink.

14. Tuff Crackers on February 14, 2022 at 11:11 pm

😁🤣😁🤣 I guess the cucumber put up a hell of fight..😁😁.. it’s the last time you draw a knife on a cucumber..

15. L. Tiller on February 14, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Thanks!

16. Jonathan Chappell on February 14, 2022 at 11:13 pm

this is fantastic and exactly what i was looking for. I have just made a built in wardrobe and have a load of 3×2 left over (alot, lol, dont know how as made a plan but hey ho) and was thinking of making a planter but needed an idea. Upon searching Youtube yours was by far the best design! Glad you put the measurements in too and like that there is no wastage. thank you so much really helped us out. Browsed the rest of your channel quickly too, love it and have subscribed.

17. Burp Reynolds on February 14, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Same paint for my shed. New sub. Wish people would avoid generic yt music. It’s distracting from great content.

18. Stephen McGeown on February 14, 2022 at 11:17 pm

Thank you for the warning about those dangerous cucumbers. First thing I did was go into the fridge and throw mine out into the street!

New subscriber from an ex-pat in the US. Love your content and style, can’t wait to binge on the rest.

19. Brian Hollis on February 14, 2022 at 11:19 pm

It’s great if you got the timber laying around spare. Altho would it be cheaper to just buy ones?

20. rickycool100 on February 14, 2022 at 11:21 pm

Great video. Thank you. When you line the bottom of the planter do you put any holes in the lining to allow for water drainage through the spaces in the wooden base. Thank you.

21. Les Shirt on February 14, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Decided to make one of these as a first project, using the cls timber I have in the garage/new workshop. Being of a certain age, metric measurements are not second nature to me, and it wasn’t till I started that I realised that what I have are lengths of 2×4, not 2×3, but cutting all the pieces on the chopsaw that I got for my birthday a couple of weeks ago was a doddle, and they all seem to fit together nicely. Just a shame I didn’t have any screws that were long enough. 😄. Got to wait till tomorrow now, for a pack of 120mm screws to arrive from Amazon. Looking forward to finishing the project and am enjoying the videos, thanks Stuart.

22. G 1990 on February 14, 2022 at 11:22 pm

What size did you cut the top pieces with mitres on?

23. Christopher Vela on February 14, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Great video

24. Matt Owens on February 14, 2022 at 11:23 pm

How long are the longer 4 pieces that make up the top (the pieces cut at 45 degrees) apologies if you have already been asked this.

25. Terry Johnson on February 14, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Hi Stuart I got round to there making these today, they came out great, I’m just about to put on my Instagram, do you want me to mention you in the post ? So others can enjoy this project too ?

26. Stunl3y on February 14, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Great job , you would be charged silly money to buy those new in a garden centre 👌

27. Stuart Grant on February 14, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Hi stu. Just a quick question bud. What timber did you use to make these, how many did it take, keep up the good work mate, the wife loves them.?

28. Claire Rousseau on February 14, 2022 at 11:29 pm

ohh, good to know the cuprinol shades works well – i’m making a log storage thinggy for firewood right now, out of leftover fence posts and pine 2x3s, and I was just looking at buying that paint. Will definitely be getting it now.

29. Random Cat on February 14, 2022 at 11:29 pm

from wood pallets to planters ?

30. lovethe darts on February 14, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Can you get a similar result with 2×2 inch wood?

31. Joe Hart on February 14, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Min 8:42 – dewalt magnet isn’t working…? were they stainless screws

32. Matt Ball on February 14, 2022 at 11:33 pm

for the plastic lining, best bet is pond liner from Screwfix – Huge roll for £15 odd and it’ll do 4-5 planters. Doesn’t fade, crack, uv stable and is designed to deal with constantly wet environments. Fab vid.

33. Lil Monkey on February 14, 2022 at 11:34 pm

This is amazing. I remember making one of these on a 6 week Carpentry course a few years back and I’ve still got the Planter in my Garden today. Because I really enjoyed Carpentry I’ve recently started doing a Level 1 Diploma Carpentry Course in College and its going great. 😊

34. Garulus Glandarius on February 14, 2022 at 11:34 pm

I’m OCD and so would’ve painted the inside too before putting the plastic on as extra damp proofing. Not a criticism ( I love your channel ) it would’ve haunted me personally not to do it. I’m going to build some of these planters in various sizes. You inspire me and it’s costing me money 😂🤣😂 great video 👍

35. Lordpanda 2112òőuj[lol?ľ777 on February 14, 2022 at 11:35 pm

Could you please post a link to the plastic membrane? Or any more info about what type of stuff to chose? I find the variety of options confusing… Great content!!!

36. Ben on February 14, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Been loving the videos and I’ve just started making these planters ahead of the spring – the wife wants a garden make over. Just having some trouble making the top. Can you clarify the measurements- is it point to point because I can’t get the short side to match the long side at a 45 degree angle in the description- 1st Time novice I’m afraid

37. Gilbert Boyer on February 14, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Nice neat work. Really impressed.

38. BigBadStig on February 14, 2022 at 11:38 pm

These are great videos, all of which will be put into practice shortly when the weather improves a bit. One question about the planters, you used CLS, why? That is about 3 time the price or PAR of similar size in my local merchant. Is there a specific reason for its use? Thanks and keep ’em coming.

39. Peter Geden on February 14, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Hi. That look brilliant. Nice job. Will have ago at making them myself. Cheers👍

40. Mike Taylor on February 14, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Bastard cucumber

41. D on February 14, 2022 at 11:42 pm

A very satisfying job, they look fantastic but the time and cost must be astronomical?

42. imran arshad on February 14, 2022 at 11:42 pm

Hello, good job young man, engaging video, did you do the editting!? Good skills. A question regarding water, as there is nowhere for it to go, will this not cause an issue of overflow? I’m referring to us watering the plants followed by rain. Perhaps this dries up during the summer but not sure about winters

43. Tim Wilcox on February 14, 2022 at 11:43 pm

Clear, informative and well made video – thank you.
    I’m making my own planters and am using this as my guide. My only slight concern is your use of the black plastic (Visqueen?) to protect the inside of the planter from contact with wet soil. Does this not cause sweating between the two resulting in moister getting trapped? Instead, I’m wondering if a better option might be to paint the inside of the planter with a liquid rubber sealant? I’d appreciate your thoughts on this and whether or not you’d stick to using the plastic liner again in the event you make any more planters in the future.

44. Rhys B on February 14, 2022 at 11:44 pm

As others have said, I’m pretty much racing through all of your content at the moment and adding almost every video to my "must try making at some point" playlist! Need to sort my "workshop" (garage) out first but once that’s done, I think this will be my first project!

45. jgowrri30 on February 14, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Beautiful .. thanks a lot for sharing ..

46. Graham Neil-Jones on February 14, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for the great video we are now the proud owners of 2 made to measure planters, the wife is very happy

47. Garviel Loken on February 14, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Pesky Cucumbers!

48. Fredrik Carlsson on February 14, 2022 at 11:48 pm

Could put a groove underneath the top lip to prevent water run down at the side off the planter. Nice design 👌🏻

49. DailyGrafter on February 14, 2022 at 11:49 pm

How much was slightly longer for the mitred pieces

50. Si Anon on February 14, 2022 at 11:49 pm

Price of wood at the moment i would have bolted them to the house lol