Building Our Backyard Wicking Beds

Building Our Backyard Wicking Beds

We are new to the wicking bed gardening concept but decided to go big for a new gardening adventure! We are building 9 wicking beds out of IBC containers in our backyard here in North Central Texas. We are planning to water only using rain water collected off of the house. Follow along on our adventure as we learn more about gardening with wicking beds.

1. Jeremy R on February 17, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for the video. Wondering if you could do a 1 year update…

-Were you happy with the results?
    -What are you doing differently this year?

Thanks!

2. zachary Paronto on February 17, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Why add mulch under? I would think that would be too much nitrogen

3. Valley in the Bluffs on February 17, 2022 at 10:38 pm

Iā€™m not familiar with what IBC totes are yet or where to get them, but I like this concept a lot. Thanks for sharing!

4. DocScience2 on February 17, 2022 at 10:39 pm

Before you add water to the system, how far down is the water level in the fill chamber ??
    Is it almost to the bottom, or do you find the plants getting a bit dry, even though the water level is only half way in the perforated tubes ??
    I need to know how well the gravel and sand transfers the water up to the dirt..
    I am in Canada..

5. Craig Hard on February 17, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Great job guys. You can utilise pallet wood frames to tidy up and allow them to hook onto sides. To extend your growing season you could look at individual double skinned mini hoop houses that could be hinged to lift open for air flow during warmer period of day. You could plant out each one with square foot crops. Well done. Love to see a follow up video with your gardens once crops are grown.

6. Bob the Slacker on February 17, 2022 at 10:42 pm

In 5-10 years or whenever the plastic totes have given up to the UV you might just replace all of that with a pond liner in a raised garden bed. The reservoir would be larger & shared across all beds & if your sump is large enough then you could add a pump to cycle the water through the layers of your soil. I didn’t use a pond liner for my lawn b/c it can hold water where I used a 10in corrugated pipe to monitor & store subsurface water like a wicking bed.

7. Daniel Savignac on February 17, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for the great video. I really like the design. How have they been working for you? I’m scared living in a cooler climate the soil would stay too wet.

8. Carolina Farfan on February 17, 2022 at 11:00 pm

What should I look for when buying a ibc tote?

9. Matt Ellsworth on February 17, 2022 at 11:04 pm

I’m guessing you guys ended up top watering, sand does not wick and your sand level is above the drain hole. Great system otherwise, well done. thx for sharing.

10. John Smith on February 17, 2022 at 11:10 pm

Definitely cover the filler tubes otherwise the slugs snails will hide in there. I dont use filler tubes any more I just water the soil and when the drain holes starts to leak I stop. The plant get a good watering too.

11. Cat L on February 17, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Thanks for clear and simple explanation!

12. Marie Ruhlin on February 17, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Do you have ny updates? Curious how this has worked this past year. Take care šŸ™‚ ā¤

13. J. B. on February 17, 2022 at 11:20 pm

I did basically the same thing with a 5 foot kiddie pool I rescued from the garbage last fall. I used 3 inch drainage pipe because the pool is only 14 inches tall. I didnt have to use rock as the pool is round and the pipe didnt leave empty corners. I used landscape fabric then sand in the middle as the wick like you did. The possible containers to use is endless. I also used chipdrop.com to get a free load of wood chips to cover 1/3 of my backyard as a base.

14. Pete on February 17, 2022 at 11:24 pm

If you make these again, you might fill up the first couple feet of soil with just plain topsoil from lowes/HD. You could amend it if you want, but it should be fine, would be a lot cheaper, like under $2 a bag vs $6 or so for that garden soil.

Neat video, I wish I could find a cheap source of those totes, they’re pricey around here.