Growing Jackfruit Trees from Seeds, Days 0-34

Growing Jackfruit Trees from Seeds, Days 0-34

Jackfruit may be the most labor intensive fruit in the world to eat: it’s recommended that you oil your knife and cutting board before cutting it open, and the “fruit” is mostly fiber, rind, and seed rather than edible fruit flesh. The white sticky sap is akin to glue and many washings with detergent are need to remove the residue from whatever it touches.

With all of that said, I’ve had a very easy time growing the very robust seeds. I incubated the seeds in a wet 87.5% sand 12.5% filtered clay soil mix (a very sandy loam) at 76-87 Fahrenheit, or 24-31 Celsius, for 7 days indoors. When I saw my first seedling on day 3, I thought that was a jackfruit seedling. I moved my pot outdoors on day 7 and kept spraying additional water on the surface and used plastic wrap to retain moisture on the top layer of sandy loam. 13 days later on day 20 I saw that what I thought was a jackfruit seedling actually wasn’t, because a real jackfruit seedling had germinated and 4 were following behind.

There was a brutal heatwave afterwards, followed by smoggy skies due to all the wildfire smoke along the entire West Coast of the United States. Nevertheless, my jackfruit seedlings grew at a very fast pace. On day 34 I decided to transplant what I realized was a black mission fig seedling to its own pot, and removed all but 2 of my jackfruit seedlings. I kept 3 jackfruit seedlings as backups in a separate pot, but I’m 100% confident that I won’t need the backup plants. I decided to fertilize the two seedlings (the first and last movers) I’m keeping with Miracle Gro and and vitamin powder to provide for all the macro and micronutrients plants need to grow. With sandy loam I have the benefit of watering as much as I want without ever fearing root rot due to lack of oxygen from organic material decomposition.

1. Drew Sample on February 27, 2022 at 11:55 pm

I got five of these seeds from a tropical fruit seed vendor on etsy. they came pre-germinate and are now several inches tall with a couple sets of leaves each. I started them in bonsai soil and they have dried partially a few times, but are all healthy thus far.

2. Jake Dingwall on February 27, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Hi love ur vids 😄

3. Davensky on February 27, 2022 at 11:56 pm

You should try another germination techniques like zip lock bag technique

4. Dennis McMillan on February 27, 2022 at 11:56 pm

Hey Melvin, I like your videos have been following both in views and in growing plants. Coincidently I started a couple Jackfruits a couple weeks ago. I am actually coming out to San Diego in about a week or so and I wanted to asked you where you would recommend obtaining some exotic fruits. I am interested in getting Hawaiian pink guava, Malaysian red guava, and star fruit preferably fresh fruit but open to just buying tree outright.

5. Sandy veigas on February 27, 2022 at 11:57 pm

Sorry to say….. that’s not the way to cut a jack fruit

6. Mysterious World of Plants on February 27, 2022 at 11:57 pm

Jackfruits are grown in Asia .

7. James Tropicals on February 27, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Congratulations! Keep us updated on those jackfruit trees!

8. Pepso8P on February 27, 2022 at 11:58 pm

I’ve been busy past month, so I just caught up with all the series. I am excited to see a new series from you, especially when it is about a plant I am not trying to grow myself!
    When the shoots popped up from the ground, I expected you to mention the similarity with how avocados germinate, I’d say it looked pretty much the same. I also think the endosperm sticking out isn’t necessarily bad, you can see it turned green, meaning it worked like a leaf before the plant had leaves of its own, which is definitely a good thing in my opinion.

9. VeganChiefWarrior on February 27, 2022 at 11:59 pm

super interesting looking soil

10. James Tropicals on February 27, 2022 at 11:59 pm

9:40 That’s not a jackfruit tree that was just some random seed that probably grew in that soil

11. James Tropicals on February 28, 2022 at 12:00 am

20:06 I think that’s a papaya?

12. Postup Media on February 28, 2022 at 12:00 am

most jackfruits i have seen are very little fruit, beautifully sweet and provide tons of edible goodies, this variety is a poor producing variety

13. Charlie vdB on February 28, 2022 at 12:00 am

Awesome video. Melvin, love this new series! Thank you for all the effort you put into it. It’s so time consuming editing a vid this long, it’s much appreciated. 👍🏼

14. Joseph Araújo on February 28, 2022 at 12:01 am

You’re inspiring me to grow my own plant series (i really liked your bok choy and california goldenrod series), keep up with the good job!

15. VeganChiefWarrior on February 28, 2022 at 12:02 am

sorry for spamming the comments as usual, gotta try coconut bro i got 1 sprouted and its got that tough look kinda like jackfruit seedlings but even tougher

16. News To You on February 28, 2022 at 12:03 am

Yo house very stinky now man

17. Ryan Issa on February 28, 2022 at 12:08 am

cool, I think the 87.5 percent sand will be better for tropical plants than the 75 percent sand because the tropical trees require good drainage.

18. VeganChiefWarrior on February 28, 2022 at 12:11 am

remember that sand can be used as hydroponics so u gotta fertilise regularly, 200 300ppms for seedlings (i been gettin into the ppms lol)

19. VeganChiefWarrior on February 28, 2022 at 12:14 am

just ordered more lol i always order more but they never make it through :p

20. Mysterious World of Plants on February 28, 2022 at 12:17 am

When I was replanting a mango seed and the root tip broke but it survived .

21. EmilErg Casting on February 28, 2022 at 12:18 am

i love this channel and these uptadd videos! Hope this will grow great!

22. Hien Hancock on February 28, 2022 at 12:19 am

My gotten pretty big, but when should I put in the ground?

23. James Tropicals on February 28, 2022 at 12:19 am

I pruned my jackfruit tree seedling and it’s growing a shoot at the side really slowly

24. VeganChiefWarrior on February 28, 2022 at 12:20 am

aw bro, jack fruit is the one i want to grow the most, once i got a bunch of seeds sent and they all came up great outside in autum, killed them in a wet greenhouse over winter, was 2 cold, then got 1 red jackfruit seed and killed that the same way next winter, now i cant get any seeds because customs are onto me, one day.. one day.. lol

25. VeganChiefWarrior on February 28, 2022 at 12:20 am

i cant figure out if that seedling is a papaya or a fig, they do look similar but it does look like papaya

26. Michael Kovačev on February 28, 2022 at 12:21 am

Could you try growing plants with just dirt and water?

27. thechief762 on February 28, 2022 at 12:22 am

The seedlings are papaya I have seen them before.

28. Котик Милый on February 28, 2022 at 12:25 am

Why don’t you use some perlite? This is some pretty heavy soil

29. Bugger muffins boys Palms and more on February 28, 2022 at 12:25 am

Those are some nice looking plants👍

30. C2H H on February 28, 2022 at 12:27 am

There is a different way to get the seeds to germinate. Do not have time right now. Will tell you later. I lived in San Diego for years. Now live in Perris California. Each year I grow about 30 jack fruit seeds. They get about 2 feet tall then die. I will try your soil idea. I have tried just about everything elas. Up here jack fruit is easy to get. Have no problem getting seeds. If the plant turnes brown and looks dead, just leave it, most times a new shoot will emerge. Got to go!

31. Vae Low key on February 28, 2022 at 12:27 am

You have Instagram I could show you pics of mine that I had sprout in June

32. Menuara on February 28, 2022 at 12:29 am

I’m also growing Jackfruit on day#29 so excited can compare my plant to yours 🙂🙂🙂
    Im growing in doors on plant compost with also liquid plant food and also slowing releasing micro grow tiny balls. Its a shame i cant share a photo here of mine.
    Well done yours looks great too!! im excited for my day 34 !!

33. Morit on February 28, 2022 at 12:30 am

Jackfruit… I like to call the tasty sibling of Durian lol

34. James Weston on February 28, 2022 at 12:31 am

The seeds are actually tasty. You can roast them, but I normally microwave them. Coconut oil is the prefered oil.

35. Blaynes Plant Vlog on February 28, 2022 at 12:33 am

I love your channel and how you grow trees from seeds…. never stop!!! I want to see all of these trees produce fruit!!

36. Caleb Vaccaro on February 28, 2022 at 12:34 am

Great Analogy with the Nitrogen/Money.

37. BrothersNBolts on February 28, 2022 at 12:34 am

Your channel inspired me to grow my own mangos and joshua trees. Keep it up Melvin. Love watching these. Hope to see a mango update soon.

38. Cameron Tong on February 28, 2022 at 12:37 am

Can you do tangerine seeds?

39. Vae Low key on February 28, 2022 at 12:37 am

I’ve broke my jackfruit roots and nothing bad happens there still growing a little to fast and I have one where the leaves changes shapes I can send you pics on ig if you have an account idk if the leaves chasing shape showing it’s a female or male idk this is my first time growing them as well so learning just like you but never had a problem roots being broken

40. edinborogh on February 28, 2022 at 12:39 am

Awesome video Melvin. Thanks for the content.

41. Tony Bezanson on February 28, 2022 at 12:41 am

I usually fertilize seedlings with a weak fertilizer after the 3rd or 4th leaf

42. Aquatech on February 28, 2022 at 12:41 am

Reasons why i hate jackfruit:

1. The sounds are a pain.
    2. It’s so sticky your table will die
    3. So hard to get into it.
    4. At it’s tough stage, it looks like a passion fruit which is more of a me problem.

43. Jimmy Xaysana on February 28, 2022 at 12:42 am

Grow some weed brah…

44. tokyotech on February 28, 2022 at 12:43 am

@Melvin be careful of using plastic trash cans for edible plants. Chemicals can leach into the soil. HDPE #2 recycling sign is considered food safe. They sell food grade safe 5 gallon buckets at Walmart and Home Depot

45. ICEcold GD5 on February 28, 2022 at 12:46 am

lol i didn’t know what even is jackfruit is but nice vid. thx for new series.

46. WyattPlayz on February 28, 2022 at 12:48 am

I HATE THE SOUND OF THAT SPRAY BOTTLE! but i love the video! Good job

47. Seema Patel on February 28, 2022 at 12:48 am

I gad this curiosity, what do you do with the seedlings?

48. Gardening and Junk Art on February 28, 2022 at 12:48 am

Informative

49. thehuntfortruth on February 28, 2022 at 12:50 am

learned a lot from your sucesses and falures. I’m using sand and hydrogen peroxide because of you with great success! appreciate you man!

50. Davensky on February 28, 2022 at 12:54 am

Try to make some compost I don’t think chemical fertilizer really is worth it