Mini Greenhouse Effect – Building a Cold Frame

Mini Greenhouse Effect – Building a Cold Frame

How to build a cold frame for season extension. Cold frame gardening is a great way of producing more. Cold frame construction doesn’t have to be complicated. Support the Channel: https://www.etsy.com/shop/siloeoliveira or https://www.patreon.com/suburbanhomestead
I build my own garden cold frame to grow arugula earlier in the season protecting it from hard frost and cold. This is a great strategy for growing more food in your organic garden, using solar power to your advantage.

1. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening on March 2, 2022 at 12:23 am

Hi Siloe! I’m glad the cold frame helped get your arugula off to an early start. That’s the perfect application for a small cold frame like that. Thanks for the shout out!

2. Lolita's Garden on March 2, 2022 at 12:26 am

Good deal. I too have gone from curiously skeptical to satisfied proponent of cold frame growing. I have started greens in November and watched them pause all winter only to burst with vigor in March. I would love to see your greenhouse build. If you ever need the space, come on over to West Virginia. We have plenty of reclaimed stuff.

3. Honie Chumko on March 2, 2022 at 12:27 am

Thank-you Siloe,
    I received the magnets you made and your video, "Seed of Choice,"
    Amazing work.
    You’re so thoughtful and creative.
    I really appreciate what you do.

4. ale m on March 2, 2022 at 12:28 am

I’m from Argentina and I used to love watching el chavo when I was younger.
    Anyways, great video!.

5. Lorena on March 2, 2022 at 12:28 am

Great video! I always enjoy every new upload. This one was truly special. I also grew up watching El Chavo as a kid growing up in Southern California. Maybe you can recycle windows, and other materials and design a green house one day…

6. Rachel Tomlinson on March 2, 2022 at 12:29 am

Love the cheery uplifting red colour and the neat rustic cold frame you made, it is brilliant. You have inspired me to make some . Think I ask someone with a car for a trip to the skip to find some strong glass.it was a lovely video and i enjoyed reading about the memories of your childhood tv programmes. Thank you for sharing how to make a lovely cold frame. Bless you.

7. Marjan Krebelj on March 2, 2022 at 12:32 am

Nice one! While watching this I had an idea: perhaps you could make a secret deal with some construction companies to be on a lookout for house demolishing jobs. Then there might be possible to get window frames with intact glass for free and use them as a basis for your design. You’d only need to add some extra wood to modify them for garden use. (I think I’m gonna do that).

8. Cristiane Barcelos on March 2, 2022 at 12:32 am

Adorei a dica! Bom dia!!

9. Delectable Mountains Homestead on March 2, 2022 at 12:34 am

The red is marvelous!

10. John Doe on March 2, 2022 at 12:36 am

Great video I’ll definitely eventually make some cold frames

11. Bill Karalis on March 2, 2022 at 12:39 am

Please provide a digital version of your stop animation film.I’m in europe and i can’t get it

12. Seedaholic Gardens on March 2, 2022 at 12:40 am

A "Bespoke" greenhouse! I love it, Mark(the hubby) is building one around a 2tier 4×10 raised bed with cold frame attachments for me this summer! I cannot wait to see yours! Never thought I’d own anything "Bespoke", but he had to customize it to my capabilities. Thank you for another fantastic video! Keep your unique , excellent content coming!

13. Johnneese3 on March 2, 2022 at 12:41 am

Where did you go? Are you okay?

14. Mike on March 2, 2022 at 12:41 am

Never set glass on concrete, I’m a Glazier that’s why I noticed.

15. KIMMIEnFLORIDA on March 2, 2022 at 12:42 am

Great job! I love arugula, I also like the pretty flowers when they go to seed and the seeds themselves can be tasty! Siloe an old "A frame" swing set makes a good base for a homemade greenhouse if you have access to plenty of old windows.

16. Sue Fernandes on March 2, 2022 at 12:43 am

This video proves that nothing goes to waste and everything can be reused if your creative enough, you up-cycled the wood and glass into something so practical and beautiful,not to mention the red paint really made it pop Siloe☺

17. Charu Chandiok Singh on March 2, 2022 at 12:44 am

It’s a joy to watch you deal with cold and getting started with your growing season…here in the middle east its already above 40°C and end of growing season. Plants burn up because of the hot wind. Therefore I enjoy watching your videos and somehow deal with the heat. All the best for your new season!

18. stormy on March 2, 2022 at 12:45 am

Try Reemay and raised beds (no structural stuff necessary). It is sort of like re inventing the wheel…practice what we know. No one is able to come up with BETTER ways to grow small family sized gardens. And then they skimp on commercial crops or try GMO alien plants. Try Gardening and Landscaping on Stack Exchange.

19. Horta em Casa on March 2, 2022 at 12:45 am

Siloe otimos videos ficaria bom se tivessem legendas em português

20. Brighids Garden on March 2, 2022 at 12:46 am

Got to love Patrick 🙂 My cold-frames are even more improvised, basically old plastic crates or polystyrene boxes with perspex lids balanced on top! Though I tend to use them for hardening off seedlings, they’d be no use for warming the soil. Thanks for another lovely video.

21. RestAwhile Y'all on March 2, 2022 at 12:47 am

I like the red on the frame …. AND on the chair.

22. Maila Loomy on March 2, 2022 at 12:49 am

I did something like this a month ago with plans from Woodglut.

23. Andrew Lockwood on March 2, 2022 at 12:50 am

Nice. Might do something like that – got my own crazy weather to deal with.

24. Canta Libre on March 2, 2022 at 12:51 am

Siloe, what happened to you? Are you OK brother?

25. luckychicav on March 2, 2022 at 12:52 am

Hello Siloé, Great lively color, especially early in the spring when winter seem to linger and when there is so little color in the garden. I like your cold frame. I’m not very savvy with tools and angles, Patrick’s cold frames are great but the tools and angles kept me from attempting to make one. This one is doable, well by me that is. 😉 Much appreciated Sir! 🙂

26. 123 123 on March 2, 2022 at 12:55 am

siloe o que faço pra terra ficar preta???

27. Yvencia on March 2, 2022 at 12:56 am

Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Woman & Woman Homestead Lia smith on March 2, 2022 at 12:56 am

Wonderful thanks for the inspiration

29. FEPO - For Entertainment Purposes Only on March 2, 2022 at 12:56 am

Hey, different music this time! I’m planning to build some cold frames for this winter as well. Thanks for showing us how to do this in style!

30. LifeOnAYoYo on March 2, 2022 at 12:57 am

I know the show you’re talking about LOL I used to enjoy washing it with my dad but live version now I enjoy washing the cartoon version with my kids. The box looks great. Love the bright red color.

31. xSpace360TV on March 2, 2022 at 12:58 am

Sayr from Oklahoma, Thanks for another great video. Nice idea. Haven’t built or bought cold frames yet, but this is inspirational. Keep the videos coming. #artisanheirloomfoods

32. standincub on March 2, 2022 at 12:58 am

Awesome!

33. Dee bermudez on March 2, 2022 at 12:59 am

do you get mold in those greenhouse without any ventilation?

34. Maya Gayle on March 2, 2022 at 12:59 am

Do you have a link to Old Chavu? I’d love to see it 🙂

35. The Toasted Rabbit on March 2, 2022 at 1:00 am

El Chavo <3 We used to watch it as kids. I always had a soft spot for Don Ramon.

36. Chris Hansen on March 2, 2022 at 1:00 am

i watched El chavo in jail with the Mexicans and really took to it. love the Program! Skinny nerdy girl that lady is 67 today saw vid of daddy yankee teaching her to dance to reggaeton!! RIP chavo too sorry i dont know the real names. i know whatcha mean about fixing things.

37. thiaguiño on March 2, 2022 at 1:02 am

9:00 Hitchcock Vertigo Effect right there 🙂

38. Antonio Guimaraes on March 2, 2022 at 1:04 am

Excellent video. Cold frames and greenhouses are essential for extending the growing season for those of us gardening in Northern Minnesota. I started a variety of plants in the raised beds inside my greenhouse 4 weeks ago. A lot of the plants will eventually be transplanted outside into the main garden. This year I plan to leave the okra in the greenhouse all season. I love okra because it reminds me of growing up in Brazil but production and harvesting is always hit and miss for me. I want to see if the greenhouse will create a more consistent tropical environment to allow for a better okra harvest. Thanks for sharing.

39. Healthy Life Farm on March 2, 2022 at 1:05 am

Hello Siloe! I love your cold frames! The red one is so cute and one of my favorite colors. Take Care, Peaches

40. Lifeincali on March 2, 2022 at 1:07 am

You’ve inspired me to try this cold frame idea with direct sowing seeds although living in Southern California might not be too necessary. On another note, I too, watched El Chavo del Ocho. One of my favorite childhood shows. Don Ramón and Kiko were my favorite characters. Lol.

41. Sky Dancer on March 2, 2022 at 1:07 am

Awesome going to look for glass now. Another informative video thank you 💛.

42. Judy Finn on March 2, 2022 at 1:08 am

OYR is the best for technique and ideas. I had a cold frame this winter (up against my house on the south side to take advantage of the micro climate). We had lettuce and spinach all winter, even with this crazy spring we had! Enjoy! Just don’t forget to vent it! Oh, and did you see the OYR idea of you growing determinate tomatos under cover after a frost?! Perfect for a low cold frame.

43. VeganChiefWarrior on March 2, 2022 at 1:08 am

u got me like dam its finished lol

44. Liyin Yeo on March 2, 2022 at 1:08 am

Yours is the only channel I don’t skip the ads. I feel respected as a viewer when you make a pause for an ad break. Keep it up!

45. Queendidine C on March 2, 2022 at 1:09 am

Always great quality content. You deserve more views and like. Keep it up!!!

46. Fito ! on March 2, 2022 at 1:14 am

I actually love that series you mentioned “ el chavo”

47. Garden Love Homestead on March 2, 2022 at 1:15 am

Great videos! I just found you. I am also trying to crate an edible landscape. My yard is tiny but Ive manage to fit alot of fruit trees in my yatd. Most of them are in containers growing and fruiting. Looking forward to learn from you. I am your new subscriber. If tou get a chance check my channels out. I love how you reliever your message. Have an awesome day.

48. marie joy rosal - sumagaysay on March 2, 2022 at 1:17 am

dear mr. siloe, i just discovered your site today and couldn’t stop watching. More than the valuable information you share, i’m blown away by the cinematography, the creativity and effort into making each and every video. Then i clicked one of your posts where you felt disillusioned by youtube’s ways. Just don’t stop doing what you love. God bless you.

49. Rena069 on March 2, 2022 at 1:20 am

Wow! Thats impressive!! Can’t afford a greenhouse as of yet, so will definitely try a cold frame! I’m up in Nova Scotia, Canada…so we get some snow…hopefully the coldframes will do the trick of allowing me to growing some food throughout our cold winters

50. Giuseppe Gallo-Balma Etes on March 2, 2022 at 1:21 am