A Career in Horticulture: Make a Living Growing Plants

A Career in Horticulture: Make a Living Growing Plants

Ever wondered what kind career you can pursue growing plants? Horticulture includes a wide range of career choices, and not all of them are terrible! I know the nursery business (in particular) has a reputation for long hours, low pay and hard seasonal work. That isn’t the whole story though… I’ve made the transition into growing plants for a living myself, and I can tell you there’s plenty of opportunities. In this video, I’ll give you an idea of how to get there:
1:52 What is horticulture?
4:02 What kinds of jobs in horticulture?
10:00 How to get a there, and what is the pay like?
If you find these videos useful, there are a few little things you can do to help me out:

Have a look at our Amazon shop: https://www.amazon.com/shop/fraservalleyrosefarm

Follow our farm on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fraservalleyrosefarm
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FraserValleyRoseFarm

Or better yet, subscribe to this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FraserValleyRoseFarm?sub_confirmation=1

And for a place to indulge in random garden anarchy: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unrulyrosesociety/

1. no name on March 28, 2022 at 6:04 pm

Can i become a horticulturist with a BA?

2. Dianne Richard on March 28, 2022 at 6:04 pm

3. AndreaAubertin on March 28, 2022 at 6:06 pm

I’m really glad you talk about subjects like this! You are the only chanel that educates on this and I really appreciate it!!!

4. Stegochan //3/// on March 28, 2022 at 6:07 pm

id really like to get into growing plants and getting into the horticulture field. id love a job like this but, I don’t have schooling at the moment schooling isn’t an option because money is tight. Now the experience I do have is that I’ve been working in the Home Depots garden center for more than two years. There I’ve learned a lot. I’m always willing to learn more and I’m always willing to be taught. Any advice?

5. Clara Bergeron on March 28, 2022 at 6:07 pm

Very intelligent, informative video for our pupils in our Scottish high school, thanks a lot! I especially loved your informative slides with names of chapters and timings for quick search. Very intelligently made, great enunciation, congratulations, you are a born teacher. 😉

6. Bruce Davidson on March 28, 2022 at 6:07 pm

Its more of a side business for me, I grow trees for fun (mostly pine maple and oak They are idiot prof) Sell a few of them and plant the rest in the park to help fight climate change.

7. jonofleury on March 28, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Just applied to the Kwantlen College Horticulture program. Thanks for the great information!

8. Generic Fabric refresher on March 28, 2022 at 6:09 pm

I fuckin love his attitude

9. Stella_ Blu on March 28, 2022 at 6:21 pm

I am switching from a career in the Law, I spent 25 years in the court system. I just quit my job and move to hawaii to study horticulture and got a job at a nursery store. My family things I’m nuts. For the sake of my health I needed to leave the system.

10. Lay-Z on March 28, 2022 at 6:22 pm

Would a horticultural degree help you in the cannabis industry

11. Broad Meadow Farm on March 28, 2022 at 6:24 pm

The truth of this video hits home incredibly hard. I went to college and got my degree in Horticulture (20 years ago) only to find a wage barely above minimum wage coupled with incredibly long hours. Portions of the job I loved (and want to replicate) and portions I hated (that I want to avoid). I ended up quitting to raise a family and now I’m in the place of trying to re-enter the industry as an entrepreneur. I know the hard work it takes, still love the industry but am a little unsure of where I fit after a long season being out.

12. Sarosh Kabir on March 28, 2022 at 6:25 pm

Hi which school did you go to. So if I do a 1yr diploma course from USA, will it be recognized in Canada? I am thinking to switch careers after 20+ years in my current career.

13. Kate M on March 28, 2022 at 6:27 pm

I’m so glad I came across this video! I’m contemplating a career change by leaving my office job and going back to school for horticulture to follow my true interests and passions. I too would choose to go to Kwantlen, but how do you decide between the three areas of specialization when they all sound so interesting and rewarding in their own unique ways!?

14. Aisana s on March 28, 2022 at 6:29 pm

I am first year student studying Agriculture and Food, I wanna do internship in horticulture industry

15. Kuo Chen on March 28, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Great vid, Jason. Thanks for the insights👍🙏

16. Brandon on March 28, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Finally a good video that explains horticulture

17. sunnygirl3178 on March 28, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Great video!😃

18. Karrah Crain on March 28, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Thank you for this informative video!! I have been into gardening and plants for as long as I can remember. My mother is an avid hobbyist gardener, and I grew up watching her and helping her out in the yard. Im 23 and I’m applying to Texas Tech’s Plant and Soil Science Bachelor’s program, and this really helped make up my mind that it’s the right thing for me. I feared that it would be a bust, I would be super poverty ridden and nothing may come out of it. Thank you!!

19. Jennifer S on March 28, 2022 at 6:33 pm

I turned my obsession for propagating azalea cuttings into a season of selling on eBay…soon discovered I needed a greenhouse to control pests and and climate…I first searched for plants that had the highest selling price with the least competition…greenhouse coming up soon!!!

20. JR on March 28, 2022 at 6:33 pm

The parents were discouraged about their daughter studying horticulture? That sounds so stupid. You can literally make a living.

21. Alyson Valdez on March 28, 2022 at 6:34 pm

This video was very helpful. Thank you!

22. Elijah Dixon on March 28, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Thank you for that information. I’m from the US and I’m serving at a restaurant right now and I genuinely hate my job. I want a job doing what I love, which is working with plants (unfortunately lol) but I just didn’t know how to make a good living doing it or where to start. After this video i definitely feel i have a good bearing on what i need to do and what direction i need to head in. Thanks man, I appreciate it!

23. K4lr0b on March 28, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Growing fruit trees in a nursery is part of horticulture?

24. Taylor Crocker on March 28, 2022 at 6:40 pm

I want to get my horticulture certification, I just can’t seem to find jobs that aren’t landscaping. Where should I start?

25. Caleb Kettman on March 28, 2022 at 6:41 pm

My grandparents and father constantly ask me what ill do in horticulture. Sometimes I’m not sure and they talk down on me. Its As if I could just magically chose some job in any other field and they’d be happy. Thats the thing I don’t have a specific job in mind but it surely won’t be working at a desk.

26. Serval Shots on March 28, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Thank you for the information but I don’t think horticulture is for me. It seems like there is a large degree of responsibility and I have been known to not be so great with plants. My grandmother however has a green thumb but I just didn’t inherit that lol.

27. RAULY D on March 28, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Please adopt me

28. Wally Paige on March 28, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Can a person start his or her own nursery by selling plants and bushes and trees

29. Jade Case-Barnes on March 28, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Hey Jason, I am such a fan of your videos. I’ve started propagating, growing, and selling plants out of a small backyard nursery that I’ve been building up for the past year or so. Although I’ve had some formal education in horticulture (landscape architecture), there is so much more to learn about the technical aspects and the business side of the industry. Your content is always so interesting and relevant, you yourself are really sharp, articulate, and trustworthy, and I always learn something new each time I watch one of your videos. I believe your channel is one of only… maybe half a dozen(?) or so channels to which I am subscribed, yet I consider your latest uploads to be some of the highest priority videos I want to watch. This is because I know each time I’ll get to walk away with at least one more gem of invaluable information, which feels like getting a concentrated dose of knowledge and experience that otherwise would’ve taken me a long time or cost me a lot to learn on my own. I just got my first greenhouse structure set up in my yard – it’s about 10’x20′ – and I’m somewhat stuck on what my next course of action should be in getting it from a shell-on-dirt to a fully operational greenhouse – or at least something that I wouldn’t be afraid of boiling my plants in! I’ve done some research, but find that most of the information I come across is at the wrong scale – intended either for a much larger commercial operation or for a much smaller home hobby project. If you have videos that discuss any of the following subjects: greenhouse designs/structures/types/functions, nursery tables/benches, hooking up to water/electricity, misting/irrigation, shade cloth/lighting, heating/cooling, fans/ventilation, clocks/timers/digital automation, parameters for temperature/humidity, day-to-day operations, seasonal management, maintenance, etc. – or even just an in-depth tour of your greenhouses – please direct me to those videos; I will watch them all. If you ever need suggestions for the content of future videos, please consider any of the subjects I just listed. I would be very grateful. Thank you so much for what you’re doing, and please keep it up!

30. Jung Oh on March 28, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Hi there, I appreciate the video! Can you recommend me some of good horticultural schools in BC? I want to start a landscaping business and also want to own a nursery. Thank you sir!

31. #VoteLaborOut_2022 on March 28, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Massive Like for being upfront about the facts lol

32. JM on March 28, 2022 at 6:45 pm

I would love to grow and sell orchids but I don’t know where to begin to sell.

33. muhammad ali on March 28, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Someone having PHD from other countries then what is its career.

34. CeCe on March 28, 2022 at 6:47 pm

I just graduated from college with a degree in plant production. I have a lot of hands on experience and I’m a certified pesticide sprayer in PA. I can’t find a job in my area that will pay me more than 12$ an hour. I won’t give up on this career though, it is one of the only things that brings me some comfort. Your video gave me a bit of hope. Keep up the good work!

35. oliver on March 28, 2022 at 6:47 pm

Hello from Scotland! Excellent video. Two of my friends said I seem like a nature inspired person, they could see me working with plants in some way since I have a small collection of indoor plants (which I started 4 years ago). Went to a garden centre on my birthday haha! I think working in a nursery or greenhouse in particular could be fun, I hope it’s like you say and they’re willing to take in a beginner 🙂

36. Virginia Moore on March 28, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Very helpful- thank you so much!

37. King Nothing on March 28, 2022 at 6:48 pm

I’m looking for a job in these fields but I need to make enough to make a livelihood… do you know anyone who can offer that ?

38. Mawitea Vuite on March 28, 2022 at 6:51 pm

I really appreciate what you are doing. I am looking into Horticulture as my carrer and your vidoes help me a lot and I want to give a big RESPECT for what you are doing. Wishing you all the best in the future.

39. J. T. on March 28, 2022 at 6:53 pm

It’s been thrilling watching these career videos, and I am in my 50’s!

40. Jordynn Lee on March 28, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Very helpful video, thanks!

41. plant sim on March 28, 2022 at 6:55 pm

you and your charts! yes i do like how you included a venn diagram where it didnt have to be

42. Jaeeun Bae on March 28, 2022 at 6:56 pm

thank you for good video for me. Your English is very clear. I am going to be an international student and will study horticulture in canada. I really love your video and I will watch again and again.

43. Annette Payne on March 28, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Brilliant ! I’m a veteran hairdresser who’s passion is in gardening. YouTube algorithm knows me well.

44. Thalys on March 28, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Do you see an opportunity or a possibility for making a transition from the corporate world to the horticulture industry making around 50k a year? I hate to sacrifice my current salary to start at an hourly pay or salary making 30k a year. Especially when I have a bachelor’s degree in economics. I always loved plants but I was also discouraged early on from pursuing horticulture (or any similar careers). I have experience in growing plants, but I just don’t have the industry experience. I am not sure if that really matters or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you for this video!

Also, any thoughts on going back to school?

45. Nicole Campo on March 28, 2022 at 6:58 pm

I enjoyed your video so much! I am very interested in horticulture. I am looking for a career change and I love nature and plants. However I live in Chicago, IL. Are there jobs that are year round in horticulture in Chicago IL? I don’t know much about the industry yet.

46. Jennifer Rose on March 28, 2022 at 6:59 pm

My family has run a ranch that alternated between cattle, corn and cotton since 1899 but it hasn’t been cared for in years due to family members dying off, busy lives etc. 3 years ago we got cows, and I’ve discovered a passion in horticulture. I may not have been raised in a garden but hopefully I can bring the place back to its golden days ♡

47. Therese "Rainbow Garden" High on March 28, 2022 at 7:00 pm

This was an amazing video, thank you!

48. Алеся Семенова on March 28, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Really useful video, thank you!

49. muhammad ali on March 28, 2022 at 7:01 pm

So informative

50. ImKrystalClear on March 28, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for this video!