Planting Outside in February & Free Spring Planting Calendar!

Planting Outside in February & Free Spring Planting Calendar!

It may be the middle of winter, but it’s time to start planting cool weather spring crops under cover!

If you shop on Amazon, you can support OYR simply by clicking this link (bookmark it too) before shopping: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=oneya-20

To use the free spring planting calendar:
1) click on this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Atd6d9NeJBIoTCkEet4y_wiO6K2U7fttQDoKji3QEsA/edit?usp=sharing
2) make your own copy of the calendar by selecting “File/Make a Copy” or “File/Download as Excel”
3) Select the worksheet that applies to you (No Cover, Single Cover, or Double Cover)
4) Enter your average last frost date in the last frost date field

Highlights:
0:14 How we determine when to plant under cover
0:43 Planting carrots in February
3:15 Transplanting kale, collards, and lettuce in February
5:21 Planting carrots in February (Short n Sweet)
7:36 Planting New York Onions and Musslburgh Leeks in February
7:55 My potting mix

Oscar Cameos:
0:09 0:33 4:39

I’m passionate about an approach to organic gardening that is frugal, easy, sustainable, and works with nature to achieve amazing results. My videos will help you grow more healthy organic fruits and vegetables, while working less and saving money. I don’t push gardening products. I don’t hype bogus “garden secrets”. I provide evidence based strategies to help you grow a lot of food on a little land without spending much or working harder than you have to!

1. Brenton Daviau on March 30, 2022 at 5:59 pm

Hi Patrick, great videos as always! One question as I have been setting up my own garden area here in Colorado. Given that kale is a common crop you grow, how do you handle preventative measures for diseases such as Clubroot. We are blessed in Colorado with high alkaline soil that I heard helps prevent Clubroot spores from multiplying quickly but do other measures such as polyculture help with this? Or perhaps certain composting? Or in your experience does it always require a crop rotation, like all the articles I have read mention? Thank you for any advice! -Brent

2. Norma Mead on March 30, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Thank you for the information, I am a new enthusiastic vegetable ๐Ÿฅ’ gardener. I can work with roses ๐ŸŒน but is totally deferent from veggies.๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‘

3. Water Dragon on March 30, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Ha ha there you are with the sun and your one jacket and here in the UK we are buried under snow, with freezing winds and my poor chickens won’t come out its so cold.

4. Rosepetal Drone on March 30, 2022 at 6:01 pm

Love the cat.

5. Flat Earth Movement on March 30, 2022 at 6:03 pm

thank you for everything you do!! Keep up the awesome work, God bless you!

6. Dustin Haning on March 30, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Hi Patrick. Have you done any videos on onions? Like regular storage type of onions. Would love to see a video on that, I’m trying them for the first time this year (shallots as well).

7. gw W on March 30, 2022 at 6:06 pm

Love your videos.. u have this stuff down!! You are so efficient!!! Total machine gardener!!. Im in 6b and am blown away with what u grow!!

8. Roger Carroll on March 30, 2022 at 6:06 pm

very helpful. much appreciated.

9. RSK on March 30, 2022 at 6:07 pm

Greetings again, hope I am not being a pest. We bought our new property late last spring and so I am very much starting from scratch but it is a wonderful opportunity to put in a garden right. So I may have lots of questions!!

10. Kelly D on March 30, 2022 at 6:07 pm

Your videos are the best! I have learned so much and greatly appreciate all of the time you have put into them. If you could do a video on Bok Choy, I would appreciate that. I always struggle with them bolting!

11. JanelleReneArts on March 30, 2022 at 6:09 pm

I would love the detailed how to series! I’ve always wanted someone to make a video like "a year in the life of X plant" where you follow the plant growth from seed to harvest. It is really helpful just to get familiar with the plant and how it grows before starting. That makes it easier to plan the garden layout. Thanks for the great videos!

12. GARDEN TOGETHER on March 30, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Would you please do a video on soil preparation….last year I filled all of my beds with store bought soil, miracle grow raised bed soil….do I need to replace it this year? Can I do something to make it ok to plant in this year?

13. Broken Road Homestead on March 30, 2022 at 6:10 pm

Love your scientific + common sense approach to gardening. Iโ€™m in zone 6-6b. I want to grow celery, but have never tried it and have never seen anyone (in person) grow it here. Is celery hard to grow? Would love to see a video including it.

14. Mary Eppinette on March 30, 2022 at 6:11 pm

I am excited about the possibility of your new series. I appreciate all the effort and time your devote to helping other want-a-be gardeners. Thank you.

15. Lee Tullberg on March 30, 2022 at 6:14 pm

How old are the lettuce transplants when you plant them outdoors?

16. Dump Coons on March 30, 2022 at 6:15 pm

I knew you were fuccn cool. I knew it!!!
    Love the shirt my dude.
    ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

17. Senthil Prabu on March 30, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for sharing the spring calendar, but i missed most of the date this year. If you have similar for summer planting calendar, please share to us, so that we wont miss anything for this year

18. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening on March 30, 2022 at 6:16 pm

To use the free spring planting calendar:
    2) make your own copy of the calendar by selecting "File/Make a Copy" or "File/Download as Excel"
    4) Enter your average last frost date in the last frost date field

Highlights:
    0:14 How we determine when to plant under cover
    0:43 Planting carrots in February
    3:15 Transplanting kale, collards, and lettuce in February
    5:21 Planting carrots in February (Short n Sweet)
    7:36 Planting New York Onions and Musslburgh Leeks in February
    7:55 My potting mix

Oscar Cameos:
    0:09 0:33 4:39

3 Ways You Can Support OYR Without Spending an extra Penny!

1) Stay engaged! Subscribe, like, share, comment, and select the notifications BELL next to the SUBSCRIBE button to be notified when new videos are released;
    2) Let the ads run. This is a big ask, but the extra ad revenue will help offset the cost of cameras, mics, computers, software, etc.
    3) If you shop on AMAZON in the US, you can support OYR simply by clicking this link (bookmark it too) before shopping: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=oneya-20

19. Amber Reid on March 30, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Also, I love the Highlights section!!

20. RSK on March 30, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Greetings from Middle Sackville, NS! My new property has copious amounts of leaves and various degrees of decaying branches from all the trees. I am putting together a vegetable and fruit garden and would love to incorporate the leaves and branches (as wood chips). Should I wait for the leaf mold to develop or just incorporate such into my raised beds now? Love your easy to understand videos and for sure Oscar (lost my 20 year old cat a few years ago and still miss her silly antics! Take Care!,

21. Cherry's Cottage on March 30, 2022 at 6:18 pm

I like your liftable low tunnels! Thank you for including info about the planting in terms of weeks before last frost

22. RSK on March 30, 2022 at 6:18 pm

Hey Patrick!

You mention you used cardboard sheeting under the garden pathways and the raised beds to get things started! Has this proven to be effective for weed control?

23. Ryan P on March 30, 2022 at 6:18 pm

I’m using a lazy method of sowing you put a the seeds in one pot pick out all the best or all of them if u have time and patience then sow say 20 out of 50

24. Rosi Bee on March 30, 2022 at 6:19 pm

Can I still plant garlic now?

25. Sherry Stacy, RN on March 30, 2022 at 6:21 pm

I would like to see how to do all the cruciferous vegetables. My disorder requires I consume a large quantity eaten raw daily. That is more than I can afford on a fixed income. Thank-you.

26. Lee Tullberg on March 30, 2022 at 6:24 pm

In the spring planting calendar, where it says sow outside, does that also mean transplant outside? For lettuce it says sow outdoors under double cover on 02/16. Could I transplant lettuce outdoors on that day?

27. inchawaydotcom on March 30, 2022 at 6:26 pm

yes I would love to see some beginner gardener videos – of anything, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, all veg really ! This is only my second year gardening, and last year I had to endure an infestation of those stupid fungus gnats – but this year my seed starter is coco coir and vermiculite and I will add vermicompost after the first set of true leaves show — I started my tomatoes of various kinds on 02/21/18 and will be following the Praxxis pruning method to buy time till after our frost date ! Love Your Channel btw – so very well thought out – and I live in zone 5 also and am thinking of doing cold frames to start this fall and may eventually add hoops ets also ! Thanks again ! ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Ingrid Veilleux on March 30, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Also, I have another question for you. What kind of plastic do you use for your greenhouses/tunnels and where do you buy it from?

29. Leana Guerin on March 30, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Iโ€™d love to watch a beginners series! While not a true beginner, Iโ€™m new to a midwest zone 6 area and in the process of planning our dream garden with the ultimate goal of self sustaining our family with our garden. Iโ€™ve loved watching so many of your videos and learned a lot! Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™d pick up pearls of wisdom from your beginners series and would love to share with family and friends. Iโ€™d be especially interested in growing tomatoes for a high yield to be able to can a bunch. Iโ€™d also love to hear more what you do during the summer in drought years. Thanks so much!

30. RSK on March 30, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for your prompt response to my question. Living on the coast I would appreciate your comments/instructions on the use of seaweed in the garden.

31. Gina T on March 30, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Hi. I noticed And you have red veined and French sorrel. I have the French, is the red veined a different taste or cold tolerance? Thanks again for all your work!

32. sovann kao on March 30, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Love your videos!! Hope youโ€™re making new ones soon.

33. Summalover1 on March 30, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Please, please do the series for beginners. I love watching your videos but I have nowhere near your experience and have never considered building hoop houses (weโ€™re renting, but we now have a yard so Iโ€™m going from container gardening to raised bed gardening and could use all the help I can get). Thanks!

34. Titus Sit on March 30, 2022 at 6:34 pm

A video I would like to see is how you made the steep angled cold frames in your hoop house.
    I tried to find a video on how you made them but could not find it. LOVE your channel and learning
    a lot. Thanks for the great content.

35. Lucivania Pereira on March 30, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Hi, tks for the video. I am newbie and would like to know what you mean by covers. Thank you again.

36. Randi Tolme on March 30, 2022 at 6:36 pm

I would love some how-to for beginners videos! I learn so much from your channel. I’d love to know more about tomatoes and summer and winter squash.

37. Barb Longair on March 30, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Hello Patrick. Do you multisow your onions and leeks? Thanks in advance for your reply.

38. VeganMarcella andMore on March 30, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Ok, I miss your hat, it made you look laid-back

39. Jace Wolfe on March 30, 2022 at 6:42 pm

I’d love to see a beginner series! I’d also really like to know more about growing sunchokes, if you haven’t already covered that in a previous video!!

40. Rachel Jamison on March 30, 2022 at 6:42 pm

I’d love detailed info!

41. Sarah Brown on March 30, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Vegetables for people to plan on the patio

42. Nikki on March 30, 2022 at 6:46 pm

This is the most thorough list of plants Iโ€™ve ever seen, thank you!

43. Salt life s S on March 30, 2022 at 6:46 pm

I’m gardening in Florida, it’s crazy how different my planting is to yours. Like I plant peas out in October and tomatoes out in March!

44. Ingrid Veilleux on March 30, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Hi Patrick, As always, awesome videos. My goal this year is to produce most of the produce our family eats especially during the half a year of our best growing months! I am wondering about food storage for the winter: potatoes, spaghetti squash and acorn squash in particular. Is there a trick to making them last longer? Thanks! Zone 8 / Vancouver, BC

45. George Leite on March 30, 2022 at 6:50 pm

Hope you and your family are safe and healthy and 2021 is a good year in the garden. Miss your videos, but the back catalog is always great to watch over and over. Motivational.

46. Saint Max Media on March 30, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Would you recommend using treated wood for raised beds?
    TXS. Eva

47. Amber Reid on March 30, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Hi at OYR! I want to thank you for all your videos and information. I am new to youtube, and just recently found your channel and am loving it! I have tried a garden in the past and never made it to harvest (I gave up). Wanting to start again. I am in zone 5a also– here in Indiana. I have a great wide open, sunny back yard–unfortunately it is ‘outback.’
    I tend to have an all or nothing mentality at times–lol, most times. I am trying to remember to start slow. I have watched most all of your videos this week and feel slightly overwhelmed, ahh, all that great information and research that you have done and compiled for us–I want to try it all out!

I would love to see a playlist for beginners, starting slow, planting reasonably. Right now I am currently trying to take a step back and organize my brain, re-watching a lot of videos–this time taking notes, and sift through all the information and pick out what I can actually work on. This is hard for me. I want to take it all and run with it–I don’t even have a compost pile yet, nor a garden (though I did just tarp down the grass ‘outback’ yesterday. I will be getting soil tests tomorrow to send out so I know what I am working with to start out. I have started a few seeds indoors–my onions failed but my pumpkin (started waaaayyy to early) are thriving like crazy!!!
    Once again, Thank you so much. P.S. My children, husband and myself love Oscar’s antics!

48. Dana A on March 30, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Hi Patrick Do you grow broccoli,cauliflower, or cabbage at all? They aren’t something I hear you talk about. Cheers.

49. Kris Kaul on March 30, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Thank you so much for the video and sharing your planting schedule, they’re so helpful. I’m just curious – is it equally effective to sow out under cover (in the hoophouse or tunnel) as starting indoors and then transplanting out under cover?

50. Dino Bernardi on March 30, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Hello….love your simple and calming videos. We just built a green house last year and are excited about what it may allow us to do. New learning process I was very excited when you said that you had a calendar in the description…..found it but can’t seem to save or copy it so that I can change last frost date etc. I saw your directions to hit file copy etc. We don’t have a computer and just use our android phones. Can I still use your calendar cause as I said just seems to only allow me to view. Sorry for the bother but I would love to use it. Thanks again for all.