Grow Tomatoes and Cucumbers in a Small Greenhouse

Grow Tomatoes and Cucumbers in a Small Greenhouse

My Tomato plants and a Cucumber growing in small buckets in a small greenhouse in a small garden are looking good. With lots of time on our hands under lockdown I am in the greenhouse several times a day. Last year It was all I could do to keep my greenhouse in one piece as several storms threatened to destroy it. My Tomatoes got ‘blossom end rot’ and it was a poor show all round. Hoping for better things this year.

1. Allan Larmour on April 2, 2022 at 6:29 pm

I use Epsom salts when repotting and very occasionally I add a tablespoon, dissolved in boiling water, mixed into about 6 litres of water/food. Its a micronutrient, but it also aids the plant in the uptake of Nitrogen. It will affect the ph. Tomatoes like a ph between 6.0 and 6.8. I am no expert but I believe the correct ph can help prevent a lot of the problems tomato plants can be prone to. A ph of 7.0 or higher can cause problems in tomato plants. I have also read that a foliar application of baking soda creates and acidic coating on the leaf surface and helps prevent any fungi. I am growing a few different types of tomato for the first time but I am not overly optimistic, weather is terrible and I don’t really know what I am doing lol so we will see. Good luck with yours.

2. sheila trant-mccarthy on April 2, 2022 at 6:31 pm

why do you raise the pots on strips of wood on top of the gravel?

3. Marie Tingle on April 2, 2022 at 6:33 pm

hi i’m a newbie to tomato growing and last year I grew toms from seed, all went well until i transplanted them from a small pot to a growbag ( cut in half and stood on end to make a bucket) and they just grew tall about 3- 4 ft and no flowers.could you please tell me what I did wrong.

4. Scott White on April 2, 2022 at 6:34 pm

HGV,
    The trusses on your tomato plants look terrific, are those “Cerise” ?
    I was always told to pick veg in the morning for two reasons.
    -veg are sweetest
    -secondly, veg are most full of water first thing.
    I have the best luck with “Beit Alpha” cucumber variety. They are snack size burp less that don’t need to be pollinated. Do your cukes need a pollinator ? Curious how it works with the green house?

5. Martyn Skillings on April 2, 2022 at 6:36 pm

Hi Jim – hope that you and yours are safe and well. Your Tommies look great. Re greenhouse and storms. It might be worth keeping about 9" of washing line or similar in it. In the event of storms, tie the cord around your auto vent to stop the wind lifting it and ripping it off. A few pennies could save many pounds. Some good tips on blossom end rot – thank you. Look after yourself and stay well – all the best up there – Paul

6. Gillian Silvester on April 2, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Holy moly, that storm was serious, I remember it, my plastic green house was done for, luckily I had taken bits into the shed or kitchen.

7. Ronald Shaw's - Growing Area on April 2, 2022 at 6:43 pm

👍👍👍

8. Frank Little on April 2, 2022 at 6:44 pm

I’ve seen some people dissolve the lime (or crushed eggshells/other calcium source) in vinegar before watering it in, that way it’s in an immediately available form for the plants. Of course it’s important to consider what pH your soil is already at first, especially in a small container. Plants can be calcium deficient in soil full of calcium if the pH is too high. I’m glad the greenhouse is holding up :-).

9. Engin Aliye on April 2, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Use MILK for solution of bottom rot. Half and half mix water with milk and apply to tomato plants. 💜

10. Jeremy Stocks on April 2, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Oh man I can go one better than you with the greenhouse story. I had one just like yours 200 Euros from the local Aldi, built it up proudly and the whole thing blew down a month later. This year I’m trying Square Foot Gardening, a winter "hot bed" from manure (get the "Hot Beds" book by Jack First) and winter salad gardens.

Slugs this year are eating everything though. Bit fed up.

11. R S on April 2, 2022 at 6:45 pm

I have the exact greenhouse but with reinforced glass experience taught me well about plastic ones in English storms!

12. Ann Knowles on April 2, 2022 at 6:46 pm

This looks like my greenhouse we have only had it a short time but it is extremely flimsy not sure how I’m going to secure it for the winter as it’s been bad enough in June I thought it was going to blow over the fence 🙁

13. Rebecca Dean on April 2, 2022 at 6:48 pm

What a great idea about the burpless cucumber, had to laugh about that one. What part of England are you from? You sound like a northerner, only ask cos your accent sounds like my dad :-). I always grew up with a veggie patch and only just started to get into growing stuff again. Nice to meet you, I am a new follower and enjoy watching your videos 🙂

14. Jackie Blakemore on April 2, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Those Polycarbonate greenhouse are rubbish.
    I had one,, never again. Wasn’t cheap either!
    I had one of those cheap things first that I bought from Poundstretcher or somewhere and gave it to a neighbour, brand new because I wanted a larger greenhouse so bought the Polycarbonate one.
    I used to see the cheap one in the neighbours garden, which was perfect.
    It had no problems at all.
    So, this year I’ve bought another cheap but bigger one. I will see how I get on but it was only £40. Massive difference from what I paid for the other one.
    I also have heavy winds but think it will serve me much better than the Polycarbonate one.

15. Julie Ross on April 2, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Hi jim….my wee greenhouse is bulging with tomato plants now. They are busting onto the roof. Help me. . How do I stop them lol. I’ve also got tiny wee cucumbers on my plant I’m growing inside. I’m all chuffed lol. I’m trying haha. PS I left some potatoes to get shrivelled up till they look like the ones you get in Wilkos. Can I plant them now or too late and how many do I put in a bucket to see if they grow? UP DATE…I’ve just watched yr pots for Xmas video. Game over lol.

16. Ron Strobel on April 2, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Now, that is a beautiful tomato plant! You defy the odds of not being able to grow tomatoes in pots. You are a real inspiration, and I’ve already recommended your channel to several people. ~ Kir in Middle Tennessee, USA

17. John Yewdall on April 2, 2022 at 6:54 pm

I am growing my tomatoes in B&Q 97p buckets – around 24 in my 8×6 greenhouse.

18. Heather K. on April 2, 2022 at 6:54 pm

I’m growing "burpless bush cucumbers" for the first time in a small "raised row" garden. I would love tips on training the vines upwards! Just now seeing babies, and I want to maximize production without them overtaking their neighbor’s.

19. Mahesh Chaube on April 2, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Wonderful

20. Sondra L on April 2, 2022 at 6:55 pm

Since I’ve been burning wood in my log burning fireplace, I clean it out and sprinkle the ash on my plants they have done so well…I put it in my pots which I reuse the soil each year…and add fresh compost too…Hope your tomatoes do well..

21. Marsha Mahaney on April 2, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Thank you 😊❤️ Great Information.

22. grandma's green acre's on April 2, 2022 at 6:59 pm

I crush all my egg shells up very finely in a blender and work them into the soil. Works great to prevent blossom end rot and it’s free since I have my own chickens. Yes epsons salt helps also.

23. John wilson on April 2, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Great vid jim I’m doing cucumbers this year in the greenhouse in all the years iv been growing iv never done them so goingbto be learning process and I’ll see how I get on if I do get a few cucumbers I will do them again next year.
    Take care and safe buddy.

24. Leanne Capewell on April 2, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Hi just a thing I do with my tomatoes is to crush up egg shell (washed) when your potting your young plants onto a larger pot also plenty blood fish and bone. I had the same problem few years ago but since doing this I’ve had no return of blossom end rot. Really love HGV you explain things so well. So sorry to hear about molly. Thoughts are with you and your family.

25. Mark Mattocks on April 2, 2022 at 7:04 pm

I use Epsom salts sometimes, I use quad grows outside, and every year I get a few ber’s lower trusses, and then from then everything seems to settle down to normal. Keep up the excellent vids and work

26. Kevin Optwo on April 2, 2022 at 7:05 pm

You are correct Ciara is Irish, it is a girls/womans name.

27. Caren Northcutt on April 2, 2022 at 7:05 pm

I had aphids on my tomatoe leaves for the first time ever. After several daily applications of sprayed on dish soap & water, I think they’re gone. Now I have green tomatoes. I dont seem to have good luck with cucumbers. Squirrels or raccoon like to take bites of them, regardless of water bowls I leave nearby. Oh well. I’d like a greenhouse.

28. alan healey on April 2, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Hi Jim, there should be enough minerals in the soil to start with and from fertiliser/ food. The problem is probably not watering regularly. The small roots die off from having no water so the plant can’t take the minerals up. Hope this helps!!

29. mark t old garden gnome on April 2, 2022 at 7:08 pm

Over watering isn’t a direct cause of Blossom End Rot. (BER) It will wash minerals out of the soil however, requiring more frequent feeding. Especially in pots/buckets. To much water all at once, can cause fruit to crack and split The soil needs to stay moist, not wet.
    Inconsistent watering and lack of calcium, or calcium uptake causes BER.
    The watering tricky, yes. I have a moisture meter and an index finger. That might sound stupid, but even though the surface feels dry, stick a finger down in the soil, if it feels moist, you should be ok, because the roots are at the tip of your finger and below. Wet surface soil will only promote fungus/blight. In time develop a watering schedule. NEVER water until it comes out the drain holes. Just keep it moist.
    I always put some finely ground egg shells in the bottom of the hole when my plants go to there forever home. Finely ground FREE egg shells, ground in a coffee grinder and saved in a container. Lime is cheap, but free is cheaper. Shell’s can be crumbled very small also and sprinkled where ever needed to deter slugs.
    That brings us to magnesium. A "trace" mineral that helps/allow your plants to uptake the minerals a plant needs. All the calcium on earth is useless without magnesium.
    You’re on the right track Jim. Calcium, magnesium, and consistent watering. No more BER
    I haven’t had it for about 5-6 years, and I know "Less" than the experts. It works.
    TYFS Stay Safe and Well
    Mark

30. My little greenhouse on April 2, 2022 at 7:09 pm

My greenhouse that I bought is a lento greenhouse polycarbonate it’s just as flimsy hasn’t had a winter as yet only bought this year in March I got it built it up in end of may will try keep an eye on it as it wasn’t cheap

31. DEF on April 2, 2022 at 7:09 pm

Just watching your polycarbonate sheets creaking and swaying makes me nervous! Expected them to go flying off but your reinforcements held. Great videos. Always learn a lot.

32. Janet van der Berg on April 2, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Where exactly is the Home grown veg garden .?

33. 1fanger on April 2, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Yes, you were right in saying that you had drowned the cucumber. Cukes and most other plants don`t do well when constantly drenched. Two things may happen if their soil is kept wet all the time. One- you guessed it- blossom end rot. That is because the nutrients are leached away by watering from the top all the time, esp. in containers. Always water deeply and infrequently. Allow the soil to dry out a little between waterings to mimic nature. Try putting the whole container in a pan with a few inches of water to get the bottom soil adequately wet instead of top watering all the time. Second is- the plants are discouraged from putting down deep roots. Plants in nature seek water by sinking their roots deep to get at the water they need. ESPECIALLY, since they are in a well protected environment like a greenhouse. The absence of stresses like wind and pelting rain makes the stems flimsy because of the lack of natural forces they would normally have to deal with. I have done this type of work for more than 50 years. I forgot more than most gardening "experts" will ever know.

34. A Colley on April 2, 2022 at 7:11 pm

If the lime doesn’t help, it may be poor pollination and hand pollination may be needed.

35. Diane Ladico on April 2, 2022 at 7:13 pm

Why it’s best to pick veg in the morning:
    "The time of day you pick your vegetables affects the taste and keeping quality of the crop. Vegetables harvested in the morning generally are sweeter, crisper and juicier than those picked at other times. As they rest in the garden overnight, vegetables replenish the moisture lost during the day. Sweeter vegetables use the nighttime hours to make sugars from the starches they produced during the day.
    "
    You’ve done very well with the greenhouse, despite the challenges. It should serve you well for many years.

36. Sajad Ahmed on April 2, 2022 at 7:13 pm

Hi. Your gardening channel is very good. I am going to buy a greenhouse soon but not sure if glass or hard clear plastic to buy. If you can give me some advice. Do you grow garlic or cauliflower in your garden.

37. Carol Hansen on April 2, 2022 at 7:14 pm

How are your tomatoes and cucumber being pollinated in the greenhouse? Are bees coming in during the day? Or are you hand pollinating?

38. Starlight18 on April 2, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I’m lucky I suppose on the greenhouse front as I decided to buy a Robinson’s aluminium and glass greenhouse just after I was widowed a number of years ago. Although expensive at the time the glass goes into the frame similar to double glazing (not clips) and even in gale force weather on the side of a valley no damage has occurred in over 20 years.

39. John wilson on April 2, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Take care and safe buddy.

40. Stephen Little on April 2, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Lovely looking tomato’s one year I had so much that didn’t turn Red so I made Green Tomato Chutney and it was really different and nice. And will be trying again.

41. Big Pete. on April 2, 2022 at 7:20 pm

What a cracking crop of tomatoes in that one pot. Amazing. I don’t even get that out in the garden in the sunshine. Thanks for the epsom salts tip.
    That cucumber looked delicious. Winter here so no cukes growing. They are so delish.

42. rabatjoietv on April 2, 2022 at 7:24 pm

In France it is said to use milk against black ass tomatoes in pot 😉 to bring back calcium

43. ivor wills on April 2, 2022 at 7:24 pm

really enjoying watching HGV and love the accent i’m an old shropshire boy living near cape town and currently in winter here .cant wait to start planting in the spring .

44. KiwiWorldView on April 2, 2022 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info about blossom end rot, my tomatoes had this for the first time last year….now I know what it is and how to deal with it. Love your channel HGV, keep up the great advice. Many Thanks from New Zealand.

45. allan Moore on April 2, 2022 at 7:25 pm

I have grown Burpless Tasty Green Cucumbers for years both inside and outside. I grow them up canes and water them twice a week and feeding them every other week. They are prolific in growth and require lots of room and staking up. The taste is mild and i find that i give more away to friends and neighbours than i can eat.