Backyard Fruit Tree Basics – Orchard Layout

Backyard Fruit Tree Basics – Orchard Layout

In this Backyard Fruit Tree Basics – Orchard Layout we cover tips on planning your fruit garden to get the best chance of providing your family with healthy, organic fruits.

If your desire for sustainability means buying less and less conventionally-grown produce from grocery stores, then now’s the time to begin planning a backyard orchard.

If you like our videos, give us a THUMBS UP and SHARE!
It encourages us to keep producing excellent videos

Link below for products used in the video:

Subscribe now to never miss a new videos.
You Tube:  https://www.youtube.com/c/HollisNancysHomestead

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HollisandNancysHomestead/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hollisnancyshomestead/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/HollisNancy/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HNHomestead

HOW TO PARTNER WITH:
 🙏🏼Please  Pray 🙏🏼 for our Homestead, SHARE and LIKE👍

Use our  Amazon links (FREE to you)
US – https://www.amazon.com/shop/hollisnancyshomestead
Canada – https://www.amazon.ca/shop/hollisnancyshomestead
United Kingdom – https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/hollisnancyshomestead

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Partner with us by donation: can use Debit or Credit Card thru PayPal

Thank you for partnering with us! Your partnership helps us to continue to provide great content on YouTube. We are grateful!

Hollis, Nancy, and Bing Bing
Have a Blessed Day

🌼🌼🌼
FTC Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored video, unless clearly disclosed. All opinions are genuinely our own. We provide our videos for inspirational and entertainment purposes only. It is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, timeliness, completeness, or usefulness of the content, instructions and advice contained in our videos. Hollis and Nancy’s Homestead, LLC,  is not liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on anything contained in our videos.

1. Debbie on April 4, 2022 at 6:26 pm

🙏❤️🙏

2. Esperanza Flores on April 4, 2022 at 6:27 pm

I can’t wait to see the harvest from your orchard. Great video!

3. BobbityBob19 on April 4, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Nice, thanks for posting.

4. winddmmy on April 4, 2022 at 6:29 pm

really nice hollis i wish some day me and jan can have a place like that but for now we have our little home in ct more room now the pool is gone i turned that dirt wick before she could think of getting another one!

5. Tater 357 on April 4, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Have a blessed day y’all.

6. Classic Kas on April 4, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Y’all have come such a long way since this video. The improvements you’ve made and the gardens you’ve been able to build in just a few years time is priceless. Thank you for sharing your gardening/homesteading adventures with us.

7. randy blankenship on April 4, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Go ahead and burn those stumps out

8. travis lowe on April 4, 2022 at 6:32 pm

If I heavily prune my fruit trees can I plant them closer together than 20 to 30 ft I got them on sale at home Depot or Lowe’s for five bucks I have 14 mostly read delicious gold delicious and McIntosh I love you videos you guys are awesome thanks God bless

9. EVERYTHING FOR EVERY ONE on April 4, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Very amazing idea

10. Annieoaks Lee on April 4, 2022 at 6:36 pm

If you have a lot of bears coming through..won’t you need electric fences for trees and veggies?

11. K B on April 4, 2022 at 6:37 pm

You may be able to rent a stump grinder to knock those stumps down. They’re small enough they won’t tear up the yard. I had to remove a stump from an old maple about 6 ft around that way. I also saw on youtube that some people burn the stumps out. I haven’t tried it but they seem to have good luck with it. Really enjoy seeing the plans you have for everything and how much you and Nancy have done! Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your journey!

12. Barry Figel on April 4, 2022 at 6:37 pm

get a bag of charcoal fire it up on top of them stumps and and no be going to no time your burn right down into the ground you just have a hole there you have to fill with dirt

13. Leslie Kendall on April 4, 2022 at 6:37 pm

"Everything seems to start with a chainsaw.". Lol. Welcome to my world.

14. N Esq on April 4, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Shows like this inspire people to to rethink the use of our backyards. Most backyards are just a field of grass but if we all started planting renewable and easy to maintain food sources in our neighborhoods we would never need grocery store for fruits and vegetables if neighbors got involved and shared. If each neighbor just planted one fruit tree in the tiniest of yards the potential is amazing. It will also provide food and nectar to the bees that are dying of starvation because people plant non flowering items like bushes. Keep inspiring us, I could use a few good tips!

15. eavening on April 4, 2022 at 6:39 pm

I have fruit trees in GA, apple, pear, elephant figs, American persimmons (not the korean variety, don’t eat until extremely ripe unless it’s for a prank😁), pecan, elderberries, cherries. Blueberries, raspberries and thornless blackberries. I loved seeing the start of your well-planned orchard!

16. v lanza on April 4, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Another thing you didn’t mention was the number of chill hours. I purchased a pistachio tree from a nursery in zone 9 in Filmore, CA but lived in Camarillo, CA, which is a very mild climate. It needed 400 chill hours and had to get over 100 for at least a few weeks in the summer. Needless to say, it did not do very well and never will.

17. Miller Meadows on April 4, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Hay there from MN…. Great video guys . God bless

18. Wink TartanBelle on April 4, 2022 at 6:48 pm

If you drill and chip out the centers of the stumps you can plant in them. Or use as a place to set bee hives. Or turn into bird baths/feeders. Or you can burn out the centers to make them decompose faster and be sure the tree is dead.

I am so excited about the orchards! I had to compromise on fruit trees for the sake of sun for the garden, since my property is so small. Living my dream vicariously through y’all. Stay blessed!

19. kathryn lebel on April 4, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Hollis and Nancy, hello! Welcome to Florida. I love watching all your videos at your farm. Its been my dream to do the same type of farm. You have given me great ideas. Thank you and God bless you both.

20. J Tharp on April 4, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Beautiful, God bless you both , we planted 2 peach trees, next is 2 orange & a fig tree ….so glad I found you both , you truly have such great Content .
    Josette 🙏🏻 in Montgomery County, Texas 🙏🏻

21. Vicki Takacs on April 4, 2022 at 6:52 pm

You and Nancy ever think about that freeze dryer for home use? If I put up produce on the scale that many of you Homesteaders do, I’d for sure get one because it brings putting produce up to a whole new level. The taste is way better than canning and even better than freezing, plus you do not lose the vitamins and minerals. I don’t believe you lose the enzymes either which I think is phenomenal. It’s called Harvest something and Lean Organic has one. I bet you already know this though, lol. There is a reason that they charge $4 for a tiny pkg of freeze dried strawberries. Also it lasts years longer than other methods so you are prepared if SHTF. Very excited to see what fruit trees you end up getting and how you take care of them.

22. Karendrae on April 4, 2022 at 6:52 pm

Could someone explain what a ‘Chicken Tractor’ is? If I’m hearing that right.

23. Just Me on April 4, 2022 at 6:55 pm

24. Shih Tzus Rule on April 4, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Are you going to grow citrus? I saw a video of an organic nursery in Orlando by John Kohlner’s and they have a lot of trees and have a lot of information that they share. They propagate a lot of their stuff at that nursery. Wide selection of avocados. If I can find the name of it, I’ll post it in a reply to this. The owner gives his phone # in the video. When I was a kid we lived in Ocala and the neighborhood kids, I guess it was kind of rural but Ocala probably wasn’t very big back then, in the 60s. It was a pack of kids from about 7 or 8 to 13 in age, I was probably 8 or 9. We went to where there were some trees and they have thorns, and I was little, so I didn’t climb but the older ones climbed. I chose a grapefruit that was at the end of a thin branch that bent down and was either on the ground or almost. My grapefruit was red and it was different from everyone else’s because they wanted to know where I got it and this older boy was having trouble believing me. I practically got it on the ground. It was really good, too. Ripe and sweet and fresh picked. When I lived in Daytona someone in the neighborhood had a fruit tree and we sampled that once. Small little fruits kind of yellow, shaped like a peach or plum. I think it had a seed in it. I think someone said they were Japanese Plums. If a plum and if a Japanese plum, it was the best plum I’ve ever eaten to date.

25. Renita Meares on April 4, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Wow look at that beard! Glad to see the progress on your new homestead. Still love watching your videos.

26. Juls Knapp on April 4, 2022 at 6:59 pm

You didn’t mention what types of fruit? Or maybe i just missed it… lol

27. keno curry on April 4, 2022 at 7:00 pm

God bless you and Nanci you inspire me so much love you guys

28. Rose Butler on April 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm

You can drill large holes in the stumps and build a fire in the middle and burn them out

29. Eric Einsmann on April 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm

If I may, I have a couple of suggestions for fruit trees to plant.. Pomelo (grapefruit as big as your head) and lychee trees. I have 2 lychee trees next to my house here in Orlando and they have done very well

30. Harrison Murray on April 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Plant russet potatoes!!!! Do a video on it!

31. Rose on April 4, 2022 at 7:04 pm

I must say, you guys have utilized your acreage well….I would have never thought of it. Butt I plant to plant some in my back yard…..I want a peach tree and the Fig tree. thanks for the idea!

32. northtexasdude on April 4, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Lord I can’t wait for the day I retire and move out to the middle of God’s country.

33. Maria Henschel on April 4, 2022 at 7:05 pm

How did you get water out there?

34. B Crouch on April 4, 2022 at 7:06 pm

A lot of pruning to keep them shaped and under control, you can also graft different branches from say apple to apple .

35. Scott Pink on April 4, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Hey Hollis, I wrote you a couple years ago asking if you have tried the Jimmy Nardello sweet Italian frying peppers. Have you gotten around to planting any yet? There aren’t many videos on these official peppers. I bought some from a farmers market a couple years ago and they are outstanding. No heat, very sweet with a slight apple taste. They are wonderful! I’d love for you to grow some and try them out!

36. Mudrabbit on April 4, 2022 at 7:09 pm

Glad you’re back! You’re looking like one of us Floridians now!

37. Southside Carly on April 4, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Excited for you guys! You didn’t mention what type of fruit trees you were planting besides persimmon. I’m getting ready to plant a peach, apple and mulberry tree. I watched your other video, thank you for all the info. P S you always have the best music on your videos 😁

38. Jerry Flynn on April 4, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Can’t wait to see them in the ground

39. Crystal Neal on April 4, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Hollis you should make a video growing vivian lettuce

40. SISSY'S JOURNEY on April 4, 2022 at 7:13 pm

i HOPE YOU PUT IN GRAPE ORCHARD ALSO , LOVED WHAT YOU ARE DOING , BE BLESSED

41. New Day Farm on April 4, 2022 at 7:13 pm

I planted fruit trees my first year too. A chicken tractor is a great idea!!!!

42. mphernan on April 4, 2022 at 7:15 pm

Great drone work, Nancy!!

43. casey armstrong on April 4, 2022 at 7:16 pm

Hello Hollis and Nancy,
    You have some great videos on gardening, and I’ve been gardening for a couple of years now. I have some trouble with some problems with blossomed end rot on my squash and tomatoes. May be you have some suggestions. And it seems like the fish thing in the bottom of the hole does wonders for your vegetables. Thank you

44. Arlyne Lauro on April 4, 2022 at 7:17 pm

Like your videos. Would love to see the actual process so we can learn how to do it . Thank you!

45. Judy Summers on April 4, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Here in cold Tasmania the most successful fruit tree I have planted is Purple gage plum. Self fertile and loaded with yummy sweet fruit each year.

46. pcguys-off-grid-cabin on April 4, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I have had a rough time with my fruit trees because of leaf cutter ants

47. Drew F. on April 4, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Great idea getting your trees in the ground ASAP… guessing other perennials like blueberries might be next?

48. Alesia Blizzard on April 4, 2022 at 7:26 pm

I live in Hampton Va I stumbled across your channel and I am so grateful to have found you all. the information you give has helped me start my first garden. I appreciate what you all do! Congratulations on your new homestead God Bless!

49. Jessie Perez on April 4, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Ah… How wonderful !! y’all are living the dream !!! I Love it !!!! Its so awesome to see this all coming together ! <3 God bless y’all ! <3

50. myownlittleworld2 on April 4, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Just fabulous! Love your videos.