STOP Putting Gravel At The Bottom Of Your Pots!

STOP Putting Gravel At The Bottom Of Your Pots!

One of the most common container gardening myths is the use of gravel at the bottom of a pot to improve drainage. Not only is this pointless…it has the OPPOSITE effect! Instead, use high-quality potting soil, learn how to actually water your plants, and make sure you choose the right container.

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Discord Server: https://discord.gg/cuXxvKRwKN
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

DISCLAIMER

Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. More info on our process: https://www.epicgardening.com/disclaimer/

1. The Foreigner on April 6, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Ok so how about putting the gravel in the drain dish instead? That way the planter is slightly elevated and the water can drain better. Because if you just put the planter on the flat dish it can block the drainage holes. Good idea or nah?

2. way2dumb on April 6, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Then it is a hack, just reversed, like everyone knows.

3. Chiang Cheng Kooi on April 6, 2022 at 6:39 pm

Most bonsai pot got very large drainage hole.

4. Sita Swaroop on April 6, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Hi can we use thermocol pieces instead of sponge

5. KIP - Knowledge Is Power on April 6, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Wow!! That’s pretty full on… he has a Zion National Park poster in the background & 2yrs after this video was uploaded, we all know who Gabby Petito is & how her favourite place was Zion National Park, the infamous photo of her wearing a Zion N.P sweater, which was the same sweater found on or next to her body 🤯🤯

6. Memfis 3 on April 6, 2022 at 6:47 pm

Nice! I always like to see ppl telling the truth, not just things every1 else says just cause they have heard it lol… My grandma planted plants in just plain soil and everything grew fine, no fertilizer, no perlite, no gravel no plant lights no bs and everything was fine, I do same and everything grows nicely plain and simple.

7. contactus ece on April 6, 2022 at 6:47 pm

That doesn’t make sense I disagree, the soil becomes embedded in the gravel etc… It’s no different then planting outside in the garden there will always be something under the roots. The water will get absorbed by the soil that’s embedded and mixed in with the rocks

8. Bill Ward on April 6, 2022 at 6:48 pm

What about putting a couple of potsherds in the bottom over the drainage hole just to prevent the dirt from rinsing out when you water it? Not to prevent overwatering but to filter the water that comes out to keep the nutrition inside the pot?

9. Leena D on April 6, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Video was very informative – although I found it easier to listen to than watch. You are a beautiful distraction 😍

10. Vance Morton on April 6, 2022 at 6:51 pm

I’ve used gravel my mom used gravel because grandma used gravel ,,, time tested ,,,but now you want to say don’t use gravel???.

11. lorena calvillo on April 6, 2022 at 6:51 pm

This video was very educational will📝 it thank you. I have been using smart gravel on my secculents and they love it they seem more happier😊 am very busy and sometimes I do not have time to water my plants somtimes I think of it as a helping hand for me but everyone is different some methods may help others some may not thank you once again for this video 🥰 love your channel

12. LaChina on April 6, 2022 at 6:51 pm

I should’ve found this earlier because I did that mistake and the stones cut through the root of my bonsai baby. Pretty sad

13. Lucy W. McMellan on April 6, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Thank you.

14. Icarus on April 6, 2022 at 6:56 pm

your logic, like the pots, has holes in it

15. Daryl Rotch on April 6, 2022 at 6:57 pm

The channel of misinformation and wasting money.

16. The dude on April 6, 2022 at 6:57 pm

U use gravel for the soil won’t get compact and the roots can move better it’s like using earth worms to turn the soil

17. Suzi Meuser on April 6, 2022 at 6:58 pm

So I just bought 3 large ceramic pots with no hole, are you saying not good, if so luckily I can still return them.

18. World Rockumentary Channel™ on April 6, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Burlap pots eliminate the entire problem… if you ever decide to plant your potted plants outside in the yard you just dig a hole and drop the entire plant and burlap pot in the ground. Zero shock and the roots will find their way…. 👍

19. Alex Delgado Jr on April 6, 2022 at 6:59 pm

That dude gave me the hebie jibees..

20. Bella Tudder on April 6, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Does this apply to cactus too ?

21. Cerenade Me on April 6, 2022 at 7:01 pm

What about those little pieces of screen, so the soil doesn’t all fall out of the hole when you put it in/water it? Are those OK?

22. Nerve Disturbia on April 6, 2022 at 7:03 pm

I wish i saw this a day ago i just put gravel or multi sized rocks in the bottom of my big pot now it will harm my plant if i dig it again 🥲 anyway thank you for the information ive seen a lot talk about gardening but you have the best tips and review details

23. Koibud on April 6, 2022 at 7:04 pm

i do bigger pieces of gravel at bottom, and rest of them pumice

24. couch_philosoph on April 6, 2022 at 7:04 pm

What about those brown clay things (leca)? It’s the same material as clay pots which help me with plants that love water but need tons of air and drainage. So it’s different than pebbles

25. Estrella Montoya on April 6, 2022 at 7:06 pm

I was taught you put rocks at the bottom ONLY if there is no drainage hole??

26. Michelle Lynn on April 6, 2022 at 7:06 pm

I think people need to better understand hot climate vs cold climate uses for different types of pots. Also, in every falsehold, there’s an old truth. "All plants are never watered from the top. " The rocks were never meant to be placed in the pot, but in the drip pan where the water is meant to sit at least 1.5 inches high. The dampness is essential for certain plants and certain hot climates, such as Orchids. Other plants should just have excellent 1-1.5 inch deep drip pans for plant water access in general. Plate saucers like what is displayed here is inadequate. A 1-inch Terra Cotta drip pan with plastic insert would be much better. Water from the drip pan, never from the top. Top of soil should be loose and healthy, but never wet.

27. Tony Burns on April 6, 2022 at 7:06 pm

I’ve grown flowers indoors for years and I’ve always put gravel in the bottom of the pot does it hurt a thing I’ve always had 5 results so let me if you’re showing may hurt some people but it definitely helps me

28. rallyworld on April 6, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Studies says this video is garbage

29. Yoriichi on April 6, 2022 at 7:07 pm

I’m adding a pumice on the bottom of my pot.

30. Liz Douglas on April 6, 2022 at 7:09 pm

Thank you, so much for your advice.
    It is really concise, and simple. I’ve ordered a tropical rose plant. It’s grows in the region of Madagascar. I discovered this plant is poisonous to dogs. I have two dogs. So, the representative told me that when I receive the 6" 🪴, it’s imperative you wear gloves, and wash your hands. I plan to transplant into a slightly larger ceramic planter. I’ve purchased Roberta’s Bounty, therefore, when purchasing potting soil, get the organic. This plant doesn’t need much watering after it has acclimated to the new pot. She also suggests to put rocks at the bottom of the pot, then follow with soil, and make sure I do not cover the root ball. This plant has a trunk. It has shiny green leaves, and yellow roses. It’s an indoor plant that needs a sunny window.
    Any further suggestions? You are terrific!!😘👍

31. Jasonlilmason on April 6, 2022 at 7:11 pm

I hate politics so much .

32. PucK3001 on April 6, 2022 at 7:12 pm

Or. The solution is to water less frequently, and not worry about how much water. The more gravel to soil there is, the less total water will be held by the soil and will dry sooner. So long as you let it dry! I’m sure some plants prefer one over the other. In your example, you said there was a drainage hole also. Yes, there should be a drainage hole.

33. property tsunami on April 6, 2022 at 7:18 pm

how about mixing evenly the hydroton with potting media in the pot ? not at the botom.
    elvin
    KL

34. Andrea Mai on April 6, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Still a gonna do it

35. got shpilkes on April 6, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Gravel doesn’t improve drainage. It helps prevent soil washing out of the pot. A screen would work as well.

36. Michael Perkins on April 6, 2022 at 7:22 pm

What about raising cloth pots off of the drip pans? Would that help aleviate fungus and or Mold growth?

37. Ceez on April 6, 2022 at 7:22 pm

He makes a disgusted face at the end WTF

38. Stir Crazy on April 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm

I have a question. I live in a small apartment with not a lot of options for sunlight. My kitchen has a very narrow window sill that only holds small pots so a dish won’t fit therefore I don’t have any with the drainage hole at the bottom except for one which came with the plate attached and it’s small enough that it fits. Is it ok not to have the hole if I am careful with how much I water them? A lot of great info in this video Thank You!

39. Rosaelina V on April 6, 2022 at 7:26 pm

40. Ashley Grable on April 6, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Thoughts about using gravel at the bottom of a pot with no hole to create a drainage reservoir? Obv, drainage holes are better, but when you have a large indoor pot that you can’t move, what’s the solution?

41. Joseph Albert Basa on April 6, 2022 at 7:28 pm

Is it okay to put pumice stones in the bottom of the pot?

42. Kyle Hoffman on April 6, 2022 at 7:29 pm

You reference that "studies have found", Iwould love to get some insight into what studies you’re referring to as from what I gathered from my years to obtain a masters degree in geotechnical (soil science) engineering is that what you’re saying is fundamentally wrong in terms of soil drainage. If you would like ill gladly dig into it for you 🙂
    The tldr of it, all soil permeability testing standards require a gravel like base as it ensure unimpeded water flow. Have a look a the "constant head test" within soil mechanics.
    Given that your point boils down to "don’t over water your plants" is 100% true, I believe the goal of adding gravel is to make sure that when you do over water your plants, that water is as free as possible to leave the soil mass.

43. Be Free on April 6, 2022 at 7:29 pm

I plan on growing sugar baby watermelons this year (1st time) it recommends putting gravel at the bottom of container so now I’m thinking I shouldn’t put it at the bottom?

44. Agave Bob on April 6, 2022 at 7:29 pm

No drainage holes = root rot = dead plant = spending more money again to drown another plant. Rinse . Repeat…

45. way2dumb on April 6, 2022 at 7:32 pm

I cut up plastic waste cut up.

46. mandyinseattle on April 6, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Holy cow, maybe this is why my plants keep dying…!! Thank you.

47. Rick on April 6, 2022 at 7:32 pm

I think gravity will pull the water down to the gravel, that provides the wicking effect.

48. Stacey M on April 6, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Thank you!

Would using LECA? at bottom of pot – those clay pebbly things that they sell at my nursery in a bag – be bad like gravel, or would it be more like the sponge deal you mention that you like to use sometimes?

49. Kim Sutton on April 6, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Can you please do a video on plastic containers.for the garden and drainage

50. Rusty Childers on April 6, 2022 at 7:35 pm

I was taught (Thanks Mom=)) that drainage holes were critical, therefore make sure to put a little bit of, usually broken up pots or small rocks, over/around the holes to ensure they did not get blocked by compaction of the soil over time. It has never failed me. I have not tried using rock without holes, that sounds like a recipe for rot.