Our MASTERPLAN to make the Most Efficient Greenhouse EVER!

Our MASTERPLAN to make the Most Efficient Greenhouse EVER!

It’s TIME to implement our greenhouse MASTERPLAN… Here’s how we’re planning on making this growing space produce food for us year-round– even though we live Wyoming where the growing seasons are ROUGH! *CLICK SHOW MORE*

🌱 Shop Greenhouse Megastore here:
Use code HOMESTEAD to save 10% on your order– plus all orders over $99 ship free!

This is where we purchased our heavy-duty greenhouse kit (rated for 115 mph wind!), and they also carry low tunnels, cold frames, hoop houses, shade cloth, and easy-ship polycarbonate for DIYers who want to build their own structures.

Need garden tools? Check out this selection!: https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/yard-garden/tools/?aff=2

And everything for seed starting!: https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/supplies/seed-starting/?aff=2

💵 Create a Homestead that Actually Pays the Bills! http://selffundedhomestead.com​

👕 Old-Fashioned on Purpose Shirts: http://homesteadswag.com​

🐓 LIVE OLD-FASHIONED ON PURPOSE:
+ The Prairie Homestead Cookbook: http://homesteadcookbook.com​​​​​​
+ Learn How to Cook Like a Homesteader: http://heritagecookingclass.com​​​​​​
+ Learn How to Can (Safely!): http://learnhowtocan.com/
+ Prairie Homestead Merch! http://homesteadswag.com​​​​​​
+ The Homestead Mercantile: http://theprairiehomestead.com/shop​​​​​​

🌎 OTHER PLACES WE HANG OUT:
+ The Old-Fashioned on Purpose Podcast: http://oldfashionedonpurpose.com​​​​​​
+ The Prairie Homestead Blog: http://theprairiehomestead.com​​​​​​
+ Follow Along on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead

1. Jamie Walker on April 14, 2022 at 6:02 pm

I would like to know what specific greenhouse that it is

2. Jodi Smith on April 14, 2022 at 6:02 pm

Automation on the Vents is great! Watch where you put that darn thermostat and you may need to put a small over over it to keep the sun warming it to soon! Learned that from ours! Also, love the Geothermal thought! I need to get to Alliance and see that set up! Question, is there a shade cloth on the top of the roof? I had to add it to mine to keep the temperature from reach the 110 degrees in the summer but of course our Wyoming wind is hard on it!

3. Martin Marquez on April 14, 2022 at 6:05 pm

What are the dimensions of your greenhouse?

4. Linda Massey on April 14, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Watch for Grazon and other herbicides in Hay used to feed cows, goats, ect. If the poop from these animals eating the hay is used in your garden/greenhouse. It will kill your plants. Most hay that is clean and free of weeds has grazon in it. It will not hurt the animals eating it but will sure do a number on your plants.

5. Alicia M on April 14, 2022 at 6:08 pm

Looking forward to the update! Hard to be patient for it to be done huh? Totally understand how you feel. So many projects around here to get done: retaining wall, concrete patio to keep the water away from the house, chicken tractor, new shed/lean-to. Your greenhouse already looks amazing. So excited for you! ❤

6. Amanda Boudreau on April 14, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Jill, can you use the geothermal set up to also cool your greenhouse? That would be awesome! Love your channel!

7. sheilaclaired on April 14, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Be sure to add a water table to your planting tables. Some seedlings will do better if watered from the bottom. I’m excited for you as you travel this road!!

8. Melissa Hankla on April 14, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Hi, Jill! What make of Side-by-Side do you have there in the beginning of the video?

9. resourcefulgirl on April 14, 2022 at 6:10 pm

Love the brick walkways!!

10. yellowboy1866 on April 14, 2022 at 6:12 pm

Hi i live in New Zealand and being middle aged, i built a hydroponic hot house with raised beds, so i didnt have to crawl along to tend beds. I only had a narrow area to build it in. 4meters wide. I made the easterly bed one meter high(36 inches) a walk way one meter wide, then the final bed way 1.2 meters high. I just built a wooden frame and placed plastic trays on top, slanted down wards for the drainage to dribble into plastic guttering to return the water to a tank, sunk into the ground. The growing medium is an equal mix of pearlite and vermiculite. I keep the nutriant at a certain value, that would cover certain veggies. Id check its values once a day, on getting home from work. I installed lighting and a ball float in my tank. I had a submersable pump in the tank. I had the pump on a timer. Spray and drain. I had loads of storage under the frames. Id get concintrated nutriant mixture sent to me, then id thin it down. Then introduce it according to my dayly tests. To maintain the PH and nutriant values. Imgrew heaps of veg. I pumped the nutriant around the house on a ring main, and took bleeder lines off the ring main. Its been running off and on for 20 years. It was a pleasant place to sit on cold rainy days, and as the bones got stiffer, it was still easier than bending over all the time.☺

11. ray Deese on April 14, 2022 at 6:13 pm

Let us know how many pests hide around the boards & pavers. I predict the pillbugs & slugs will love the hiding places around the boards & pavers.

12. Me! on April 14, 2022 at 6:14 pm

I would love a greenhouse like that! However, even my outdoor garden has beds that are 2′ high so that I don’t have to bend over to tend to the plants. I would highly recommend raising your beds. Your back will love you for it.

13. Painted Garden Farm on April 14, 2022 at 6:14 pm

Wow I thought I was struggling with spring being slow to come in New England! I don’t think I’d survive in Wyoming! Cool greenhouse! It’s on my eternal Xmas list to have one too!

14. Victor Wilkinson on April 14, 2022 at 6:14 pm

The panoramic car parenthetically count because circulation electrophysiologically boast out a nonchalant magic. petite, overwrought magician

15. Get to the Farm on April 14, 2022 at 6:15 pm

i have mine split up in even strips, so that i can rotate beds and pathways… that lets the beds have a rest every few years.

16. Jill Winger - Old Fashioned on Purpose on April 14, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Thanks for watching! Here’s the link if you’d like to check out Greenhouse Megastore: http://greenhousemegastore.com/?aff=2 (use code HOMESTEAD to save 10%)!

17. paul taylor on April 14, 2022 at 6:17 pm

sole power sun light work winner time food lp gas lot light s plant work well fish west fish head plant sun flouder oil cook cow work well mix sand lime cow shit wood chip cow mix up well live worms coffee tea old bread live worm egg shell cow chicken plant food shit

18. bobhoyer on April 14, 2022 at 6:18 pm

Jill, Nice job. I love it. I was wondering which greenhouse package did you select from website? since we are MICH, we get cold, snow, ice, rain and high winds 20-70’s mph range … thanks Bob

19. Mr. Robot on April 14, 2022 at 6:20 pm

Why didnt you go with hydroponics ? or at least a good portion of it ?

20. Gee Vee on April 14, 2022 at 6:20 pm

You could have transplanted your spinach and kale instead of destroying it …

21. Timothy Jalbert on April 14, 2022 at 6:22 pm

I would have more narrow beds for access and plan for crop rotation . Don’t forget a automatic window opener to keep temperature down and screen it to avoid birds and bugs out.

22. Russell Wood on April 14, 2022 at 6:23 pm

Absolutely beautiful greenhouse nice and big totally jealous. We’re talking about growing tomatoes in the centre and sending twine up to the ceiling. My grandfather used to grow a lot of tomatoes in his small greenhouse however he used steel cable and turnbuckles to tighten it all up running the cable horizontal and vertically to tie his tomato plants to this way he didn’t have to set it up every single season All worrying about it snapping under the weight of the tomato plants. You talked about putting the higher plants along the north wall which makes sense this way it won’t restrict the light to other plants. But me personally I would put a vertical tower system in this would increase the amount of crop you could grow in there massively. Here are other wonderful advantages to it as well. You could have a fully automated system that would feed the plants nutrients and water and recycle the water to reuse again I have never use this system personally but have seen it a couple of times and it almost seems like magic. You’re probably aware of this but I’m just throwing ideas out there hope you don’t mind.

23. Davus Claymore on April 14, 2022 at 6:23 pm

@ 3:32 Using untreated wood in the garden beds I hope? Wood preservatives will leach to the food. I’m sure you know better, but most do not.

24. The Flip Flop Barnyard on April 14, 2022 at 6:24 pm

It looks awesome so far! I can’t wait to watch you grow in it all summer.

25. usmsci on April 14, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Which specific kit is the one you built?

26. Jennifer Davidek on April 14, 2022 at 6:25 pm

Didn’t realize there was such a learning curve either in a greenhouse. I cooked about 120 seedlings right off the bat because I didn’t vent it and it got SUPER hot. Learned, love it now!!

27. Middle Way on April 14, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Boop
    Thanks for the great showings and ideas! Cheers!

28. William Proctor on April 14, 2022 at 6:27 pm

This video is awesome thanks again for having this channel.

29. Jared Heal on April 14, 2022 at 6:27 pm

throw a window screen over seedlings and baby plants till they start to press up. helps shade/ keep moister in.

30. yellowboy1866 on April 14, 2022 at 6:28 pm

I started with a plastic film roof, it lasted about 5 years then i went to a polycarb roof. Im a mechanical engineer, so i built it all myself including the house frame. It gave me a good excuse to buy a nail gun, for the framing.

31. Silver Rose on April 14, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Moringa tree

32. Jason Shubert on April 14, 2022 at 6:31 pm

I watched a video of you going to Nebraska, to see the man who grows oranges. I’m surprised, that you didn’t put in those hoses to regulate the temperature. Any reason why? Just curious not implying anything

33. Michael Bartell on April 14, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Tesla Cybertruck vs Ram 1500 TRX: Which SUPERTRUCK is really BETTER? https://youtube.com/watch?v=sEzhmXQjBQQ&feature=share

Michael Bartell – @michaeljob – Voice

34. Grace Be on April 14, 2022 at 6:36 pm

We don’t have a green house, but we planted our ‘square foot’ garden with narrow walk paths, like you have…..and I wish now that we had made them wider.
    I got fed up with being attacked by ants that hid in the Bermuda grass, that took over the garden rather quickly…..so we concreted the walkways between the squares. MUCH cleaner, and the grass is easier to deal with (it still comes up between cracks between the squares and the concrete….it’s insidious!). But at least I can see the ants and other pests easier to deal with them.
    At the end of this monsoon season (I’m in the desert—Arizona), we are dealing with more bugs than I’ve ever seen here in my life! And the black widows are getting out of hand in my garden now! I’m wondering what I can do about them?! No matter how tidy things are, the spiders are liking to make their webs in the tomatoes, melon vines, and now my zinnias…..basically, anywhere that they can hide. I’m having a time now, putting my hands into the melon vines on the trellises, and in the tomatoes to keep them pruned, and in the zinnias to cut them. If it isn’t one thing, it’s three more things just like it!
    I’ll be interested to see if any poisonous spiders move in to your green house, and how you deal with them. This is freaking me out!

35. Nancy Fahey on April 14, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Great space.

36. Deanna Stevens on April 14, 2022 at 6:38 pm

WOWWW!!!! Holy WOW I’m Jealous and AMAZED!!!! Most Excellent! I think this greenhouse is bigger than my Bog. I Love the fact you went with Pavers/bricks… Definitely very asthetic and more easily managed. I would love to do a Walipini here in Northern California. It probably would’ve worked for you too since you have such severe weather issues. Excellent Greenhouse. I will look into them.

37. paul taylor on April 14, 2022 at 6:39 pm

water a time 2 days to 3 day ok start fan sole power sun cool down 12pm 1.00pm

38. E. Krams77 on April 14, 2022 at 6:39 pm

Can you do an updated greenhouse video? Did you do the geothermal plan? We need some tips for ventilation for our greenhouse 🤔 thanks!! Love from Michigan !

39. Victor Wilkinson on April 14, 2022 at 6:42 pm

The somber half-brother immunologically muddle because camel conformably tap alongside a loutish banana. modern, sturdy david

40. DOC on April 14, 2022 at 6:43 pm

How does it handle heavy snow? In AK and looking for something w snow weight capabilities

41. A Girl And Her Cows on April 14, 2022 at 6:45 pm

your greenhouse is going to be amazing

42. Shawn Merriman on April 14, 2022 at 6:45 pm

How’s it looking a year later?

43. Sheila haynes on April 14, 2022 at 6:48 pm

I wonder if you could’ve buried the bottom part of the greenhouse and made a steady roof to withstand the hail…

44. Will M on April 14, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Looks amazing, are you insulating the north, east and west walls?

45. Roxy eloi on April 14, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Can you please share the exact greenhouse and dimensions.. i looked in the website but not sure which one it is.. . Need one just like yours. I live in Casper Wyoming

46. Em A on April 14, 2022 at 6:53 pm

6:49 you have such great hair!
    I know, irrelevant to the video but it’s exactly what I thought when I saw this braid! 😍😍

47. trebled99 on April 14, 2022 at 6:53 pm

I love your Dream

48. Brandon Strohbehn on April 14, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Where did you get the seed organizer?! I definitely need that.

49. S. Rose on April 14, 2022 at 6:55 pm

City girl here but what about doing what urban green houses do. Go vertical or at least some hanging to maximize that space.

50. Caroline Glynn on April 14, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Congrats on your Green House! Happy 2021 gardening. Have you thought about a shade system for the Summer perhaps indoor roof blinds like on conservatory- im sure they could be automated too. Best Wishes.