How Does a Greenhouse Work?

How Does a Greenhouse Work?

Greenhouses are great for many gardeners, but they are not a magical garden structure that makes growing plants easy. Understanding how a greenhouse works and its limitations can save gardener stress. Gardener Scott shows the daily changes in greenhouse temperatures and discusses how to use a greenhouse for best effect. (Video #330)

Join the Gardener Scott channel to get access to perks. Click the “JOIN” button or link here:

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

You can support the channel with Gardener Scott merchandise like T-shirts and mugs at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code “GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

If you’re looking for quality seeds and gardening supplies check out True Leaf Market:

If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this affiliate link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

#EnjoyGardening #GardenerScott

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel.

Thank you for your support!

1. Rachel & Crystal Realtors on April 15, 2022 at 6:08 pm

This was a really good video, thank you!

2. TTB on April 15, 2022 at 6:09 pm

The use of bees wax in automatic venting control is interesting.

3. simple man on April 15, 2022 at 6:09 pm

This was a great video I appreciate it. I was really wondering what the point of a unheated greenhouse was so I do see you being able to garden roughly about a month before you could outside

4. Mason T on April 15, 2022 at 6:11 pm

Yeah Gardner Scott is legit telling it like it is I like it

5. Amanda VHB on April 15, 2022 at 6:13 pm

You are the most educational youtube creator in gardening. Thank you so much for taking us on your greenhouse journey!

6. Helena Williams on April 15, 2022 at 6:14 pm

Thank you so much for this video. Liked and subscribed.

7. Alan Root on April 15, 2022 at 6:15 pm

What part of Colorado do you live? I have a daughter who lives in Colorado Springs. I am in zone 6B in Kansas and have had trouble advising her on when to start certain things. You could be a great resource for her.

8. SilentCartographer on April 15, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Scott, you know somebody is bound to ask you what’s the make & model of that greenhouse in the intro… I’ll be that guy.

9. The Natural Human on April 15, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Wow 103 is pretty high

10. Craig Humphries on April 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm

I would like to offer a small tip to people creating a DIY greenhouse. This is based on personal experience, but I don’t have hourly temperature data to guarantee that this works in all conditions…

If you build a greenhouse yourself, consider building a small trench-like foundation and constructing a 12-18 inch tall wall out of Breeze block (cinder block?) or perhaps brick. You can then construct your greenhouse on top of that. You can also use the same method/material to construct raised beds inside. In short – you’re essentially creating a raised bed greenhouse. In my experience, the stone helps regulate the temperature at night (replacing the water tank option), and it also saves you having to bend down so far to plant things. I still need to build a greenhouse on our current property (so I can’t provide the numbers), but that is the method that I’ve always used. Perhaps somebody else has also done this and can add to my suggestion? Great video, Scott!

11. Russell Wood on April 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm

My grandfather had a couple of geosmol greenhouses which he used to grow more tropical stuff. But he also had a bunch of regular greenhousehouses much like yours he made his out of a Perspex glass kind of expensive material but virtually indestructible. The perspects really magnified the sun I made those green houses really hot like your greenhouse he had vents and doors at each end so you could create an airflow. He also used to put straw around all his plants he told me it helps trap moisture in and also helps to insulate the roots. He also used quilted tarps where he would hand crank and the tarp would roll down to cover the greenhouse this extra layer of insulation really helped at night.

12. Mauricio Chavez on April 15, 2022 at 6:19 pm

How well does that handle winds

13. Joseph N Adrignola on April 15, 2022 at 6:19 pm

We have a south facing ‘sun room’ with a constructed insulated roof above. On sunny days, although I have never measured it, it probably gets into the 80’s in there. We open the sliders to the adjacent dining room to allow that heat to benefit our living area. The room is also heated (forced hot air) so at night, it probably does not get below 55 degrees, Since we lower the thermostat at night and close the slider. Can I somehow take advantage or that room for growing ?

14. C S on April 15, 2022 at 6:20 pm

I wonder how much heat is retained at night when you have actual structures, more soil, and plants doing their processes.

15. Thomas List on April 15, 2022 at 6:21 pm

So…1) what kind of greenhouse are you using?
    2) recommended "budget" yet quality greenhouse?

Also, as always good info. Thanks.

16. Rob R on April 15, 2022 at 6:22 pm

Great info. A greenhouse is more of a season extender than an all season growing unit the way I see it.

17. Garden Jen's Journey on April 15, 2022 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Scott! Great breakdown of how the system works!

I have a very small Greenhouse. It’s only 6 by 8. So there’s not a lot of room to be able to put in jugs of water and things like that to help retain the heat. I’ve been using it mostly as a hothouse in the summer to grow my peppers in, since they like heat.

We have acquired a wooden style greenhouse from a friend of ours and we’re going to be rebuilding it here on our property. I hope to be able to apply some of the things you shared here to that new Greenhouse. Happy gardening!

18. SilentCartographer on April 15, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Greenhouses ARE magical. They magically keep the deer and javelina out of my plants. 😉

19. Lapiz Lazully on April 15, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Wow, I just realize how much I dont know lol

20. Mayfield Manor on April 15, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Thank you so much for the temperatures in Celsius! I am gardening in Zone 5 in Canada. I am learning how to extend the season using an unheated sunroom as my greenhouse. (winter sowing etc.)

21. chocolate princess oregongrown on April 15, 2022 at 6:33 pm

By far one of the best if not the only one I have seen and have been searching for since I bought my greenhouse !! Everyone shows greenhouses but no one’s really showing how to run your green house … so good job mr!!! I’m still looking for more info on condensation in the green house and how to cure it and stop it in the first place … so I have learned so much from just running my greenhouse !!! You give such good info in this video and I suggest any new green house owners watch this video !! The most informational video I have seen on the subject !!! We have to understand the process of what’s going on in the green house at different times of the year !!!! Great great video !!!

22. Sunset Farm Ohio on April 15, 2022 at 6:34 pm

What a great video!

23. The Natural Human on April 15, 2022 at 6:34 pm

It should prevent frost though?

24. Laurie on April 15, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Thank you for this! I put up a high tunnel last fall and have been tracking the temperatures wondering when it would be safe to plant some cold hardy plants. I didn’t know about watering the soil to retain the heat. I’m going to water today to see the difference.

25. Barbara Hux on April 15, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Hi there Gardener Scott. My husband and I have the exact same green house model in our barn waiting to be assembled. This video couldn’t have been more timely or useful! Thanks.

26. Susan Jordan on April 15, 2022 at 6:39 pm

Wow. Thanks.

27. naturnaut on April 15, 2022 at 6:40 pm

The polycarbonate panels filter out the UV.

28. Terri B on April 15, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Amazing! I can’t wait for a greenhouse !🙏

29. Pat patrick on April 15, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Thanks!

30. richard cooney on April 15, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Hi , A friend of mine who grows to sell at a market garden on Saturday has two electric dryers for making dried Apple chips and heats her greenhouse She sells the Chips and other things at the market at the market .

31. Dennis Barnett on April 15, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Where did you get your green house 🏠

32. Roger Clarke on April 15, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Good video. My greenhouse is reclaimed glass, tarps and plastic on a 4 post frame, roof panels made from 1×2 wrapped in saran wrap (I have a large roll that I don’t conster food safe any more). It’s a season extender, we get too much snow for the roof to hold. By the first of November we start getting too many cloudy days for me to get ripe peppers harvest the rest green and take off the roof for the winter. Check my last years garden diary on my youtube channel if your curious.
    zone 4 at 45 deg. north.

33. anthony tran on April 15, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Thank you For Good Explanation . I am Planning to build the Green house in this winter . Now i know how it work . Thanks again and God bless you

34. Garrison Jones on April 15, 2022 at 6:47 pm

@gardnerscott. Love it! I am a recent greenhouse owner. I built my own custom one and this is teaching me so much. Thank you so much keep these tips coming about the greenhouse please. I’m excited to learn from you this year so I can implement and practice everything on my own.

35. VolcanoRebel on April 15, 2022 at 6:48 pm

What brand greenhouse is that. Where can I order one. Anyone know?🤔

36. Martyna Mastalerczyk on April 15, 2022 at 6:51 pm

I finally know how to use it properly 😊

37. Kate Burkes on April 15, 2022 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for telling the truth about greenhouses. I have one, and love it, but many people don’t understand how it works.

38. Carol M on April 15, 2022 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Scott. Great information. I have had a cattle panel green house for a few years now and have found summer heat too intense in it EVEN with doors open on either side, and roll up sides This year I am going to change it up a bit and make one of my sides roll up and over the top and rest on one side. I will be able to roll it back and forth as I need. That should resolve the issue of too hot. Your thoughts? I love the green house for numerous reasons. The biggest is I can protect plants from critters, my dog, and any excessive weather. Last year my raised beds near drown in July when the whole month was a wash out. The greenhouse however did fairly well even with all that heat. It was protected from lots of wind and excessive rain. Appreciate your thoughts?

39. Dee Cooper on April 15, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Hi Gardener Scott…. Thank you for such a detailed video. In Winnemucca Nv high desert z5/6, and during early spring I need to go out of the greenhouse to cool off .. always a breeze or raging wind here. I do have to shade one side of the GH from intense afternoon sun plus I have fans & swamp cooler with a automatic temp control & still have to try to keep on top of things lol 😂.
    Have a wonderful day 👵🏻👩‍🌾❣️

40. Momma Jefferson on April 15, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Hi Gardener Scott, I have a couple of questions. What type of greenhouse is that in the video?
    What are the dimensions?

41. Alannah Strawsine on April 15, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Most simplified explanation regarding the value and troubleshooting a greenhouse!

42. Dave Schmidt on April 15, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Water will also keep the greenhouse cooler during the day.

When it was 35°F outside and 32°F inside, was it already after the coldest part of the night? My initial assumption was that you were out at night rather than early morning so I assumed it was before the coldest part of the night, which is what surprised me, but it sounds as if that was not the case.

43. Lily Cardoso on April 15, 2022 at 7:01 pm

I’ve always wanted a greenhouse, I thought they were magical. Lol. I had no idea my greenhouse would be colder inside than outside at night. I bought a little govee Bluetooth thermostat and I was shocked. Now I’m experimenting with using a heat lamp at night to stop temperatures from getting below 32. What temperature would you say is too low at night for seed starting? This video was very helpful!

44. racebiketuner on April 15, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Great stuff! I’m really looking forward to your updates on various methods of temperature regulation.

45. Ted Reviews on April 15, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Great explanation as usual. Thank you.

46. The Kitchen Garden with Eli and Kate on April 15, 2022 at 7:04 pm

oh this was really interesting. It is so intriguing to see the differences in your greenhouse and mine. I record the temperatures and have a record from over the last year, but it was interesting to look at a single day 😀 I think this is soooo useful for people who are thinking about buying a greenhouse

47. K m on April 15, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Best greenhouse video ever! Thank you.

48. Carla de La Gnomes on April 15, 2022 at 7:05 pm

What an interesting explanation of the energy waves that are coming in. It becomes a bit of an oven in the daytime…

49. В Воронеже on April 15, 2022 at 7:06 pm

very interesting. I grow in a portable greenhouse-thermos. I recently tested the first module on my channel and on the snow in February.

50. Joseph N Adrignola on April 15, 2022 at 7:06 pm