Fruit and Vegetables to Grow in Shade to Increase Productivity

Fruit and Vegetables to Grow in Shade to Increase Productivity

This video covers my 5 favourite crops to grow in partial shade and why I like them. I also talk about some considerations to make when growing in shade. Here is the full list of fruit and vegetables to grow in shade:
Asparagus
Redcurrants
Radish
Rhubarb
Spinach
Swiss Chard
Turnips
But remember – opt for leafy greens as a #1 choice!

3 considerations when growing in partial shade: 4:12
OYR Tomato video mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqD2P6G7s0

New to HuwsNursery? Then please read 🙂
My name is Huw Richards, I live in Wales, UK and I am a teenager who loves vegetable gardening. Unusual right? I love to teach people around the world about growing their own food organically and my end goal is to get as many children as possible to have the experience of growing food which I believe is one of the most important things a child could learn. If you’re new to HuwsNursery then please hit that subscribe button (and also notifications) so you can learn more about growing your own food inexpensively 🙂

Instagram: huws_nursery
Let’s chat on Snapchat: huwsnursery

Love my videos? Become a supporter https://www.patreon.com/huwsnursery

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNursery
Subscribe to our newsletter with updates and exclusive content:

1. Kit DuBhran on April 17, 2022 at 6:09 pm

Super old video that came up on my feed. But I had to add: I live in the maritime Pacific Northwest. It’s a cool Mediterranean climate. I’ve got a kale plant that overwintered twice now. It’s two years old at this point and growing leaves about a square foot across.

2. Andrew Martin on April 17, 2022 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Huw, think I’ll give Red Currants a go this year

3. California Gardening on April 17, 2022 at 6:12 pm

Great tips for veggies growing in shade!

4. Bobby Organics The Tattooed Gardener on April 17, 2022 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for sharing HUW . Love using the shade to grow some extra veg 🙂

5. geezer244 on April 17, 2022 at 6:13 pm

What type of berries are those?

6. Wild Child of the 80s | One Life Live It ⛰ on April 17, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Another brilliant video!
    It’s helped me relieve certain beds in my head, knowing I can grow my Kale, Chard, Broccoli etc, in the shady bed where I already have my Rhubarb doing well 🙂 (Pembrokeshire)

Question : Do you have trouble there with rabbits? being rather open and exposed.. (as my allotment is too)

Thanks in advance, x x

7. Kit DuBhran on April 17, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Love this video. I just bought a house and have a mini orchard out back (1 cherry, 1 plum, 2 apples, and a hazelnut tree) and the ground under them is all waterlogged and unproductive.

I’m planning on turning it into a permaculture food forest and this has given me great ideas of what I can add under and at the edges of the trees. Thank you!

8. Jagatheesan Chandrasekharan on April 17, 2022 at 6:17 pm

Redcurrants
    Radish
    Rhubarb
    Spinach
    Swiss Chard
    Turnips
    But remember – opt for leafy greens as a #1 choice!
    3 considerations when growing in partial shade: 4:12
    OYR Tomato video mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqD2
    New to HuwsNursery? Then please read 🙂
    Instagram: huws_nursery
    Let’s chat on Snapchat: huwsnursery
    Love my videos? Become a supporter https://www.patreon.com/huwsnursery
    Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNu
    Subscribe to our newsletter with updates and exclusive content:
    DO GOOD😊PURIFY MIND
    Grow your own vegetables & fruits
    Do Meditative Mindful Swimming
    ——————————–
    Let’s convert all our homes to show the Path for All Societies to Attain NIBBANA
    Buddha’s words have Power
    Grow your own vegetables 🥦 🥕 🥗 & fruits 🍌 🍎 🍉 REVOLUTION
    to go into 🏨 inner world 🗺 🌍 🌎 & attain happiness & peace for Eternal Bliss.
    Awakened One ☝️ the Buddha’s 🤕 Own Words from Theravada Tipitaka are for all societies irrespective of religions, racism and castes.
    Visit the following sites and translate them in 117 classical languages through
    From
    Please visit
    Kushinara NIBBĀNA Bhumi Pagoda
    White Home
    Mindful Meditative Lab
    668, 5A Main Road, 8th Cross
    HAL III Stage,
    Punya Bhumi Bengaluru
    Magadhi Karnataka
    Awakened Youniverse
    Along with Meditative Mindful Swimming 🏊 🏊‍♀️ 🏊‍♂️
    Sikkhādubbalya Sutta
    — Weaknesses of the training —
    What to do if one is not yet perfect in the five precepts.
    These five, bhikkhus, are weaknesses of the training. Which five?
    ————————
    The destruction of life,taking what is not given,misbehavior in sensuality,false speech & liquors,spirits & intoxicants that cause carelessness.These five,are weaknesses of the training said Buddha
    —————————
    To abandon these five weaknesses of the training, the four satipaṭṭhānas should be developped. Which four? Here, bhikkhus, a bhikkhu remains focusing on the body in the body, ardent, understanding thoroughly, mindful, having subdued covetousness-affliction towards the world. He remains focusing on feelings in feelings, ardent, understanding thoroughly, mindful, having subdued covetousness-affliction towards the world. He remains focusing on the mind in the mind, ardent, understanding thoroughly, mindful, having subdued covetousness-affliction towards the world. He remains focusing on dhammas in dhammas, ardent, understanding thoroughly, mindful, having subdued covetousness-affliction towards the world. To abandon these five weaknesses of the training, the four satipaṭṭhānas should be developped.
    Fruit and Vegetables to Grow in Shade to Increase Productivity
    youtube.com
    Fruit and Vegetables to Grow in Shade to Increase Productivity

9. Joe De Gorostiza on April 17, 2022 at 6:18 pm

As always, great vid!!!

10. TheJohannasmile on April 17, 2022 at 6:18 pm

Thank you for the tips , first time I’ve seen your video’s, any recommendations for companion planting ? A book ? Or specialist ?
    This has been the worst year for my globe artichokes so I need to move them ( in autumn) and want to reorganise in a sensible , comprehensive way so all the areas are happy . I’m in Norwich East Anglia , UK. Many thanks

11. Knowledge seeker on April 17, 2022 at 6:18 pm

I’m having to try cucumbers and zucchini in partial shade because the suns too hot!

12. Nadine cuenca on April 17, 2022 at 6:19 pm

Click bait, kiwi 🥝 doesn’t grow in shade

13. Jerry Franklin on April 17, 2022 at 6:20 pm

I gave a like just based on the description. You added the vegetables in there.

14. Healthy Life Farm on April 17, 2022 at 6:22 pm

Very informative video! Swiss Chard is one of my top 5 vegetables to grow. I love it so much and grow in indoors and all year long outdoors. 🙂

15. Joseph Donais on April 17, 2022 at 6:23 pm

Stress your plants, make them think the end is near, little kiddies like popcorn. Yes Mr Vader I know this

16. Ana Paula Crawford on April 17, 2022 at 6:24 pm

As bad it is in Texas! Everything needs to be In some shade! Thank you for the info.

17. Elie V on April 17, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Great video, again, and what an adorable accent!

18. Ian on April 17, 2022 at 6:25 pm

It’s interesting as I was always told a lot of those on the list, especially Rhubarb needs full sun.

19. Teresa G on April 17, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Question: The previous owner of our home planted a holly bush in a full-shade (no direct sunlight, hours of indirect sunlight) spot to cover an unsightly utility meter which is about 3 feet high. I want to remove the holly bush (so my very young children do not pick and eat the berries) and replace it with something that will grow at least 3 feet tall and produce some food. I am considering blackberries on a trellis. Will they produce with no direct sunlight? If not, do you have any other suggestions? (I am in zone 6, USA) Thank you very much!

I absolutely LOVE your YouTube channel, and have started a no-dig garden with your help and the help of Charles Dowding. I am very excited with your upcoming endeavors. I will pray for your school exams! Happy Spring!

20. PC Henderson on April 17, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Thanks!

21. Terrie Friday on April 17, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Great information thanks for sharing.

22. Aanchal on April 17, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Your shade is still quite sunny. Mine is like darker… with just spots of sunlight coming through a filter of leaves of another plants. Plus I just have a balcony.

23. Dauvit Alexander on April 17, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Did you make that redcurrant picking tool?

24. Rave On Studio on April 17, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Fantastic, I think we have close the the same weather here in Vancouver so this will be really useful. Our yard is very shady(forest) with a few hours of hot sun in summer 😉

25. Cassie Oz on April 17, 2022 at 6:35 pm

The ‘perpetual spinach’ I grow is a chard variant but has a finer stem and a smoother, leaf. When i cook normal/rainbow chard (we call it silverbeet), I cook the leaves and stems almost as separate veges. The thick stems braise wonderfully with garlic, and i steam the leaves with butter 😋

I have to put hoops and shade cloth over my veg beds in summer, to mitigate against our heat, and bird netting (against bluddy parrots😡) for much of the rest if the year.

26. Michele Saladino on April 17, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Thanks for sharing ! Very informative information. Green Blessings

27. Luke Jones on April 17, 2022 at 6:36 pm

nice video huw ;]

28. Christopher E. Pineda on April 17, 2022 at 6:36 pm

Awesome video! I’ve found kale to be so successful for me in the shade.

29. Jeannie Carpenter on April 17, 2022 at 6:40 pm

I should have said that we are on agricultural land and very close to the sea on a penisular – hence it is quite raw. thank you

30. Craig Overend on April 17, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Great tips. Dark green, and large leaf plants may do well in shade because of the higher chlorophyll content in the leaves and larger surface area to capture more light. At the opposite end I’ve noticed our Zucchini (Courgette) leaves turn a silvery colour in the full sun when the weather gets hot, I wonder if it may be to reflect some light and heat during the summer.

31. Noor Larios on April 17, 2022 at 6:42 pm

thats so good and useful thanks! greetings from Mexico.

32. Eric Kelley on April 17, 2022 at 6:43 pm

one of my gardensis in shade. the tomatoes always do fine. i was having to give tomatoes away because tjey were doing so well. would have been better but we got a really bad windstorm in the one direction the plants werent protected from tje woods and snapped not only my tomato plants but the stake they were tied to as well.

33. Cherokee Rose on April 17, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Nice video. I love seeing my favorite growers making nice comments.

34. Lee Ann Steinmetz on April 17, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Thanks for this video. Every year my balcony gets less and less sunlight, so this information is very useful for me.

35. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening on April 17, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Great tips, Huw! Thanks for the shout out.

36. Ninmpf on April 17, 2022 at 6:47 pm

So useful!

37. Leon Nery on April 17, 2022 at 6:49 pm

What crops/plants you can grow under a mango tree ? Considering that mango trees drops some toxic sap?

38. Dawn Morning on April 17, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Great video. Happy growing 2022.

39. Soby Thomas on April 17, 2022 at 6:53 pm

The video I was looking for. Thank you… Great YouTuber

40. Alex on April 17, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Your videos are awesome!

41. S K on April 17, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Spinach doesn’t grow well in the shade.

I have many years of experience with that issue!

42. Nick on April 17, 2022 at 6:56 pm

those sheep in the background look pretty sexy

43. Jun dela Cruz on April 17, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Great job Huw. I learn a lot from your videos , keep it up !!

44. Jeannie Carpenter on April 17, 2022 at 7:00 pm

hello. just found your videos and have been catching up loads. I live in North Devon and it’s very damp all year round. I have a small veg patch and salad bed and find my biggest enemy is the constant wet and I notice that you seem to manage to have dry land, I wonder if your mulching is helping you and do you recommend I try that. Just to give you some indidcation of how wet it is here. I rarely have to water at all. I’d really appreciated some tips on how to get my garden less wet

45. Samina Irfan on April 17, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Hi…do you have a video on seed starting indoor or do you always sow seed directly into the ground

46. S Roberts on April 17, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Thanks so much for your work and sharing it all, brilliant! I’ve been meaning to ask for ages… your polytunnel looks exactly the same as the one that I inherited (lucky me) on my allotment. It needs a new cover though and some tlc but have no idea where it came from – do you know?

47. Fensterfarm Greenhouse on April 17, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Your place is looking great behind you Huw. Great information and good to see you again my friend!
    Chuck

48. DOLPHINLADYFOXandPUP on April 17, 2022 at 7:04 pm

u talk too much just the facts please!!! what grows best in shade …gee wiz going somewhere else bye

49. caitlin forester on April 17, 2022 at 7:06 pm

the problem with lettuce is they’re practically devoid of any substantial nutrition. it’s not even worth growing, if you drank a pint of water you’d get the same nutrition as eating lettuce pretty much.
    much better off with spinach or kale, or even replace it with cabbage

50. Swahili SpicE on April 17, 2022 at 7:07 pm

I absolutely love your videos Huw. I’ve currently been binging on them for the past couple of days. I’m a complete beginner, I have a large garden considering I live in London and currently on mat leave so I’d like to do something productive with my kids while I’m off. Off the top of my head I’d say my garden’s about 20 by 40ft at least. I’ve always loved the thought of growing my own food. As we sit here, my garden is almost all grass, with a patio at the front and back. I really want to get going but the truth is I have no idea where to begin. I know it’s too late for tomatoes and strawberries etc. What do you think I can do now as a start to get things going and what seeds should I buy for my first crop? I’d really appreciate help, thanks