Growing Hydrangeas in Zone 9 ~ birdhouse garden

Growing Hydrangeas in Zone 9 ~ birdhouse garden

Hi everyone. After years of struggling to grow these beautiful plants, I now understand how much shade and water they need. Central California is dry and hot. By planting them on the north side of our house, they appear to be very happy.

thebirdhousegarden@gmail.com
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/birdhousegarden/

1. Tommy & Cheri DIY It - At Waterfall Cottage on April 17, 2022 at 5:57 pm

I like them better when they aren’t all the same color. I am in zone 9b outside of Houston and mine are on the west side of my house in full afternoon sun and do great. They are big. I had to cut them down after the freeze in February and they are back to about 3 ft tall now.

2. Sofi S on April 17, 2022 at 5:58 pm

I live in the Bay Area in northern California and it’s hard. I bought endless summer that states can handle heat/direct sun, (bought 3 plants for $19.99 each) nope, those died. I bought Home Depot hydrangeas, no specific brand ($9.99) and 1/2 the price of the endless summers and Let me tell you those are striving in the sun/ front yard. I love them. I hope they grow huge bushes.

3. r spruill on April 17, 2022 at 6:03 pm

Absolutely beautiful – I also love going to the blue box store for the clearance discounted plants👍🏾😀

4. Michele Lara on April 17, 2022 at 6:06 pm

It gets very hot here too zone 9a, in Houston tx. So I totally get it. I put 4 under a tree in a shaded garden bed. I’ve killed about 3 in the past. The new varieties that are reblooming are a game changer and makes it very easy to grow. I have proven winners rhythmic blue and endless hydrangea summer crush. It’s looking very beautiful and can’t wait for your summer garden tour 🌻🦋✨

5. Courtney Graves on April 17, 2022 at 6:20 pm

My favorite plant. Beautiful job!

6. Sakamoto on April 17, 2022 at 6:20 pm

It gets so hot here in Fresno ca! But I want hydrangeas so badly!

7. Syleee3 on April 17, 2022 at 6:29 pm

I live in Central Ca, Fresno, and I’ve dreamed of growing these beautiful Hydrangeas!!! They look gorgeous!!👏🏽👏🏽

8. Nancy Lezama on April 17, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for the tips! I live in the Caribbean and got three recently. I have them just outside my porch where they aren’t getting direct sun …just a bright area. Definitely need to water them every day in my tropical climate

9. Jeffrey LO on April 17, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Finally a specific video for us in zone 9

10. Miriam Grutz on April 17, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Could you tell me what fertilizer you use for them. You mentioned 2. I live in Tampa fl. I’m intimidated with growing hydrangeas. I want to try one day 🤔

11. chamelor on April 17, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Are these macrophyllas? I live in a zone 10 and i wanna try these.