How to Use A Greenhouse

How to Use A Greenhouse

The best way to use all of the space in a greenhouse requires some thought and planning. Gardener Scott discusses and explains some important considerations when deciding how to use a greenhouse. (Video #307)

Join the Gardener Scott channel to get access to perks. Click the “JOIN” button or link here:

You can also support the channel with Gardener Scott merchandise like T-shirts and mugs at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code “GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

If you’re looking for quality seeds and gardening supplies check out True Leaf Market:

You can help support the Gardener Scott channel in five ways that won’t cost you anything extra:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

5) Click on this affiliate link to get Audible books that you can listen to in the garden: https://amzn.to/32bpgd7

Your support helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

#EnjoyGardening #GardenerScott

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel. Thank you!

1. The Kitchen Garden with Eli and Kate on April 19, 2022 at 6:22 pm

Yay you got your greenhouse 😀😀😀

2. Malcolm T on April 19, 2022 at 6:23 pm

That climate of yours is rough, but at least the weather’s always nice in your greenhouse.

3. jos lac on April 19, 2022 at 6:23 pm

One of my dreams is to get a greenhouse for the same reasons, short growing season. Maybe some wood planks stretched across those upper brackets to house some seed starting trays? Great job!

4. VolcanoRebel on April 19, 2022 at 6:25 pm

What brand, and where can I buy one. I been looking and that type seems to fit the bill. Anyone know??🤔 Scott doesn’t say in the videos. Thanks in advance if you can answer 🤙

5. Taneria Pollins on April 19, 2022 at 6:25 pm

New to the channel I like the videos about the greenhouse

6. Heidi Clark on April 19, 2022 at 6:25 pm

What a great looking greenhouse! Oh how exciting. You did a great job putting it together! It will be fun to see the inside come together. I noticed that there is a open space between the bottom panel and the ground. I hope you are going to put gravel or ? around there so the bunnies and other critters don’t get in. I am sure you thought of this already. looks like lily likes it too.

7. Rod Cottrell on April 19, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Just purchased the exact same greenhouse. Then I found your videos. Excited to watch you develop your greenhouse. You have already given me so much to think about.

8. Take It Slow Homestead on April 19, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Thank you for all that good advice!

9. Bud Jenkins on April 19, 2022 at 6:27 pm

I look forward to seeing our greenhouse when it is all setup and operational. Do you have a link to the source for that unit? I’ve got a spot all planned for a greenhouse, but am still debating whether to build it or buy it. Thanks!

10. Becky Peterson on April 19, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Question: the floor and how to deal with water…?

11. Lisa de Kramer on April 19, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Do you have a link for that greenhouse?

12. Dwayne Wladyka on April 19, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Very informative. Cheers, Scott!

13. Louisiana Gardener on April 19, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Really like your greenhouse plan and given me plenty of ideas. Thank you. Ready to see this greenhouse plan gets set into motion. Great video.

14. Lynn Chantler on April 19, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Great greenhouse! Is it what you expected? So many options and choices for what to grow inside. I look forward to seeing all your plans come to fruition.

15. T D on April 19, 2022 at 6:35 pm

I so needed this video! And the feeling… "always wanted one, but what to really do with it?" resonates. Esp since I live in zone 9b with a looong growing season. I admit, I still want one… 😊Thx for the great info!

16. Kay on April 19, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Can you provide a link to the greenhouse supplier? Thanks

17. Jacquie Super on April 19, 2022 at 6:35 pm

May I ask what kind of greenhouse that is. Seems to be a great size. Where did u get it!

18. Sheena's Garden on April 19, 2022 at 6:39 pm

This is one of my dreams except I want a 100ft high tunnel I look forward to growing to feed my community at some point. Baby steps but keeping my eye on the goal. Great video Gardner Scott I’m excited to watch you grow in it 😊

19. Maggie Manzke on April 19, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Why not just skew your path toward the back, to free up the space in the front of the greenhouse without having to fight with a 2-tier bench with supplies behind? Seems awkward to me. Sounds like a very exciting time for you – congrats!

20. Kamil Olczak on April 19, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Enjoy gardening

21. Anne Bury on April 19, 2022 at 6:45 pm

I was anxious for your greenhouse video series to start as I’ve just finished building my greenhouse. It’s 12 x 20, "twin polycarb" walls as I’m in zone 3b. I’m at exactly the same stage; planning what goes where so I can build some structures over the winter and be ready for hardening off in the spring. I will have passive thermal (black water barrels under a bench), but also a small heater that can kick in if necessary. Looking forward to the rest of your series.

22. Cindy Nielson on April 19, 2022 at 6:45 pm

I would love to have a greenhouse. I look forward to see how you make this work. TFS

23. Luke Edwards on April 19, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Excellent job

24. SeattleDan R on April 19, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Thank you for this! You mentioned at least 3 things I can’t wait to see how you implement (heat retention, working space, storage / efficient use…). Are you going to insulate your back walls? I have a greenhouse that gets too little sun. Thinking I need to add grow lights to extend my season. I also contend with high humidity and mold. Ideas? Great greenhouse series you started!

25. Chris Lilly on April 19, 2022 at 6:46 pm

I hope you do a whole series on this. I bought one of the metal frame, green plastic tarp ones off Amazon. There is no ventilation, it became an oven and it really failed as an experiment. I’ll post my review of it so you can see. I would really appreciate any help you can.

26. Amanda VHB on April 19, 2022 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Gardener Scott. I am going to invest in a greenhouse this fall and have been considering a planta due to my high wind area.

27. Sharon Tracy on April 19, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Have a 6 x 8 snap and grow by Palram. Love it. Grew perennials, annuals, herbs and vegetables. Need to get better at raising seedlings. Germination is easy for me. Need to know more about grow lights

28. S j K on April 19, 2022 at 6:48 pm

This video came at just the right time. I am just finishing up my first cattle panel hoophouse in time for the UP Michigan snowfall! I am currently making all those decisions Gardener Scott is talking about! However due to space constraints I had to build mine lying north-south. Any tips for maximum benefit with that caveat?

29. James Mathieson on April 19, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Just put my greenhouse up and glad to see my initial ideas mirrored yours but there were plenty other ideas I’ve picked up to help me out.. 😄😃 Will look forward to seeing how yours turns out….

30. K Russell on April 19, 2022 at 6:52 pm

I am so looking forward to seeing all you do with your greenhouse! My growing season is just a bit longer than yours but we’re in the same hardiness zone and I’m not too far from you (I’m in north central KS). I had a greenhouse a long time ago and didn’t really utilize it much especially in the peak of summer, but I keep leaning towards getting one again for seed starting and fall planting.

31. Mark goodsmith on April 19, 2022 at 6:52 pm

Your green house looks very well reinforced. Here in Iowa we are dealing with numerous high wind events. Could you tell me where you purchased this unit so I can check the wind rating?

32. racebiketuner on April 19, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Very cool! While at the same time warm 😉

33. Julie Horney on April 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Where did you purchase this from? Love the split door for cross ventilation in warmer months.

34. Tamara Roberts on April 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Congrats on your new greenhouse! I hope to have one someday too

35. Randy Smith on April 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Congrats on the new addition to your garden! Looking forward to seeing how it comes together

36. S j K on April 19, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Gardener Scott, I see your greenhouse does not touch the ground on the bottom edge. What is the logic there, esp considering your Colorado snow?

37. Nate S on April 19, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Cool! That looks like a way sturdier structure than a lot of the other hoop house style green houses. Good choice!

38. Joe Francis on April 19, 2022 at 7:05 pm

super jealous

39. Jeannie Scarber on April 19, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Who did you buy the greenhouse from, or is it a diy design? … thank just found the answer Planta greenhouse.

40. Dee Cooper on April 19, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Yipppeeee, you finally got your greenhouse 👍👍. Can’t wait to see the plans come together!!
    Have a great day 👵🏻👩‍🌾❣️

41. Amy Bryan on April 19, 2022 at 7:07 pm

I have germinated flower seedlings inside my house under lights and would like to move them outside in my polycarbonate greenhouse — do I need to harden them off to those conditions, or can I just move them out?

42. Lynda Buchholz on April 19, 2022 at 7:10 pm

I have a friend who gathered large plastic barrels and put them along the North side of here greenhouse and filled them up most of the way with water. We get cold so they might freeze in the winter. She put a bench just above the barrels and it work so well for her to get here plants going.

43. Octoschizare on April 19, 2022 at 7:11 pm

If you build a short platform in front of the table then you’ll be constantly bending and reaching over it to access the table, and blocking where you would like to tuck your feet while you stand at the bench. Also you would be blocking all the possible storage space under the table! There’s a lot of space there to utilize for storage. Instead, I would suggest making the table the whole width of the back side from door frame to back wall, and then at the back of the table build a small shelf/platform on top so you can have a second tier of potted plants on. That gives you a lot of storage space under the table and also storage space at the back of the table that is under the shelf. It’s nice to be able to tuck your feet under the benchtop when you’re working on it so you can get closer and more easily reach the back.

44. Adam Petherick on April 19, 2022 at 7:12 pm

What are you going to do for April Fools 😆🤣😂next year

45. Jan Williams on April 19, 2022 at 7:15 pm

I have really been looking forward to this video. I really do like your choice of greenhouse. It’s attractive and certainly sturdy. The buckets of water solution for heat was genius. I noticed from a reply below you made a video of the build and are going to publish it. I really look forward to seeing it. But I do have a couple of questions. This first is why not have a floor and I’m thinking it might have to do with you wanting a bed inside. Also, you mention hardening off your plants. Are you still going to start your seeds indoors with grow lights? If so, is starting your seedlings in the greenhouse not an option? Thanks so much for your help Gardener Scott. You doo such a great job of helping the rest of us want to be better gardeners.

46. Pat patrick on April 19, 2022 at 7:17 pm

Thanks!

47. Octoschizare on April 19, 2022 at 7:17 pm

Another thought, you could put aluminum foil along the back wall to reflect the light back into the greenhouse that would otherwise pass through the back wall and escape.

48. CHIEF REDBIRD on April 19, 2022 at 7:17 pm

SO—what you need is common sense .

49. Canadian Brewing Channel on April 19, 2022 at 7:17 pm

Thanks for this video Scott! I am looking at buying a green house next year. I am in Southern Ontario and also deal with a short growing season. Where did you purchase that green house? It looks great! Cheers

50. A Piecemaker on April 19, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Kept waiting for you break out in your happy 🕺 dance. Lol Isn’t this sooo exciting! ? I’m very happy for you and can tell you’ve put a lot of thought into this. That planning is such fun. Congrats 🎉 and happy gardening 👨🏼‍🌾