15 Perennials for Southern Gardens | Gardening with Creekside

15 Perennials for Southern Gardens | Gardening with Creekside

Finding perennials that thrive in Southern gardens can sometimes be challenging due to our high humidity and temperatures both during the day and the night. Today I am sharing with you 15 perennials that have proven themselves to be tough enough to handle whatever our crazy weather throws at them. Grab a cup of coffee and your gardening journal because I know you will discover a few plants that you will want to add to your garden!

🌿 For more detailed information about all of the plants I mentioned in the video, please visit the Proven Winners website at www.provenwinners.com

Our Amazon Store (we receive a portion of each purchase you make)

Stay Connected with Gardening with Creekside

Website https://www.gardeningwithcreekside.com/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CreeksideNurseryInc
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/creeksidenursery/
Email jenny@gardeningwithcreekside.com

Creekside Nursery
181 Pine Hollow Dr
Dallas, NC, 28034

1. Cynthia Allen on April 22, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Great video! Especially in your new digs. The background was so nice and encouraging the spring!

2. Anna Poole on April 22, 2022 at 6:06 pm

Hi Jenny!!!! Thank you so.much! I am so ready for planting and getting.out in the yard!!! I just planted a tall scented pulls this year so I am excited!!!!!! Hope you guys are all doing well! 💕

3. Luigi on April 22, 2022 at 6:08 pm

Why settle for just one variety of hisbiscus?

4. Sonia Kirk on April 22, 2022 at 6:10 pm

Thank you…I have a list and I’m ready for Spring!!

5. You Rock! on April 22, 2022 at 6:10 pm

Great list! I now have several more plants added to my plan.

6. Jamie Mitchell on April 22, 2022 at 6:13 pm

Great ideas to look forward to this next growing season. I wish more garden centers in my area (east Tx) carried PW plants. Thanks Jenny
    🌷🐝🦋

7. Dorinda Jenkins on April 22, 2022 at 6:13 pm

👋😃

8. Tracie Daugherty on April 22, 2022 at 6:14 pm

Thank you so much, this will help me tremendously! I am planning landscape for a new children’s advocacy center. It sits on large lot, deer . I would love any advice you can send my way. Zone 8a

9. Karen Moring on April 22, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Jenny, I have looked everywhere for the SummerSong FireFinch Echinacea on line. Do you have any suggestions on where I can purchase it?

10. Dixie Dandy on April 22, 2022 at 6:18 pm

Jenny, you by far are the best at providing information. Most people just post their zone information. You post the full zone information.

Thank you! I plan on ordering several of the plants you mentioned for zone 9.

11. Debbie Ewert on April 22, 2022 at 6:19 pm

I really loved this video!! These are what I need in my front flower bed. It gets that hot, hot afternoon sun and sounds like these would do well. I love them all!! I love color in my beds! 🤗❤😊

12. Garden Hands on April 22, 2022 at 6:20 pm

This was a fantastic list Jenny. Really excited I had some of your recommendations, but also going to rewatch and make a list of your suggestions! I’m in zone 4b so quite a few were applicable to me!

13. Tonya A on April 22, 2022 at 6:23 pm

I wish I could find some of those hibiscus. So far I’ve only found tropical one here in southern Louisiana. I hope the ones I planted last year come back up. We are zone 9 here

14. Gardening in Calgary on April 22, 2022 at 6:23 pm

love it!!! im dreaming of spring

15. Jackie Remis on April 22, 2022 at 6:24 pm

EXCELLENT! Thank you for the great info.

16. Dos Vasko's Farms on April 22, 2022 at 6:25 pm

Just a heads up for us southern folks and daylilies. Keep a supply of neem oil as you will encounter leaf rust, which is a special kind of irritation that can make a beautiful plant downright ugly…

17. 🌼 My Garden In Bloom🌸Laurie Holycross on April 22, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Fun video! 🌸🌸💜🌸🌸

18. Kathy Brown on April 22, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Glad to see plants that will perform well in the south. I live in 8a, west central GA. Lots of heat and humidity. What is it about other monardas that you have grown that do not perform well? I grew a tall variety before and it did well. Always came back from seed, just like a good cottage garden plant should. Thanks!

19. CookingMadeEasyinATL on April 22, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Enjoyed this informative style video especially on plants that do well here in our southern climate, there were a few I will definitely adding to my garden this season. Thank you! 😃

20. MrsT A on April 22, 2022 at 6:29 pm

I always see purple when they say blue. Is it just a plant thing or am I color blind, lol

21. A Elliott on April 22, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Great information! 💛

22. theodora johnson on April 22, 2022 at 6:31 pm

No warning about deer eating day lilies? Deer candy.

23. Wendy on April 22, 2022 at 6:33 pm

LOVE this! I have been wishing someone would put out a video geared more for the south. Hope to see more like this in the future.

24. Ginger Lily on April 22, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Blue "Pasta" (Hosta) Jenny? 🤣🤣🤣

25. Kim Fierek on April 22, 2022 at 6:36 pm

Jenny, excellent well thought out plant list. For us Midwest gardens lots of Zone 4 choices. Great video.

26. Mary Klamm on April 22, 2022 at 6:36 pm

This was excellent. Thank you.

27. J C on April 22, 2022 at 6:36 pm

Look up Andrew Wommack’s A Better Way To Pray and Within Heaven’s Gates by Rebecca Springer 😇

28. Robin Walton on April 22, 2022 at 6:36 pm

I am now planning on some of the beautiful trees 🌳 and perennial flowers 🌺 🌸 💐 , I need soil erosion plants 🪴 🌱 for our front yard . The tree roots are showing. I also want to buy the blueberry 🫐 bushes in our back yard. Living in our gated neighborhood I know I can camouflage them in our back yard . Our backyard is surrounded by the lake I would like to plant birch trees near our lake I believe they would look beautiful. I loved today’s video and all of the wonderful ideas you showed us today .

29. DigsInDirt on April 22, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Thank you Jenny!!!! I’ve been waiting for this list. #9AHouston is a tough game. Can’t wait to get some of these into my garden.

30. Carol Cowser on April 22, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for giving such wonderful information about plants that include our(5b) zone! Such a beautiful group of flowers, too!

31. 684jewel on April 22, 2022 at 6:40 pm

I am drooling lol. Thanks so much for such a complete list. I am in zone 9 so I will try to pick those appropriate for my area.

32. Kim Paynter on April 22, 2022 at 6:43 pm

Thank you so much beautiful perennials for a zone 9

33. Harriett Pavon Rosado on April 22, 2022 at 6:44 pm

One of my Red Hot Pokers is on a hill. It’s a showstopper.🔥

34. Diana Edwards on April 22, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Where does one get all of these? Are they all from proven winners direct?

35. Sandra Clark on April 22, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Thanks

36. Julia Fiore on April 22, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Thanks so much, Jenny! Great list and, got my screenshots!

37. Jill Cochran on April 22, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Glad you did this!

38. Nobody Uknow on April 22, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Thank you! You and Laura are THE BEST! Love you both! I live in Texas and it’s so hard to find plants that will survive our climate here. Just discovered Proven Winners when I ran across the "holy grail" hibiscus. Had no idea there was a whole line of plants! Thank you so much for ALL YOU DO!!

39. Stacy Ray on April 22, 2022 at 6:50 pm

Just one lol!! I want them all!! I live in Alabama with similar temps as you so I wanted all of these!! I planted that grass last year and loved it!!
    Speaking of Japanese Beatles please share how you deal with them!! As bad as I dislike using pesticides I succumb to it ever year because so many of my plants would be riddled! I worry about hurting pollinators but I still have some. I usually use seven dust pellets and they really work well but I just wanted your input on it!!
    They get all over my roses, black eyed Susan’s, crape myrtles and hibiscus!! I quit growing rose of Sharon because of them!!

40. Weronika Lewandowska on April 22, 2022 at 6:51 pm

The form of this and your other videos is looking more and more like GA videos. Personally, I’m not comfortable with it…

41. graylagran on April 22, 2022 at 6:52 pm

What a great video! I wrote down at least 3 I want to find locally – however, will Creekside be selling all of these?

42. Alicia Connolly on April 22, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Love this list – need more southern specific videos – zone 7B here in SC 🙌🏼

43. stephanie johnson on April 22, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Oh, my!!! I can’t wait to visit and pick up a few of these beauties!!!

44. Linda Benford on April 22, 2022 at 6:58 pm

Great information. My list for the Spring is growing 🤩

45. Lan Pham on April 22, 2022 at 6:59 pm

While I do appreciate the great information, it’d be great if the plants are showcased more, not just a flash here and a flash there. I had to either rewind or stop the video to get the names. Thank you!

46. Gary Calbaugh on April 22, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Jenny can you tell me the name of the plant in front of you next to your computer 🌸

47. Marilyn Bruckman on April 22, 2022 at 7:00 pm

So many ideas since I’m also in zone 7b in east TN. The critter resistant plants are what I need. We have many wild rabbits that eat my tender shoots!

48. Ranch Home Living on April 22, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Dang! I need to move up north! So many beautiful plants. I still enjoy learning about all of them even though I can’t grow them in my zone 10b. Well… I never know where life will take me one day.

49. Harriett Pavon Rosado on April 22, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Thank you. I have several of these plants in my garden. Very little care needed.

50. SChaffee on April 22, 2022 at 7:04 pm

This came at a perfect time! I just moved from the dry west desert to the north border of Alabama/Georgia. The previous owners planted gorgeous bright pink roses with deep purple foliage in the front yard but we’ve been warned of the deer. I plan to move these to the backyard which is fenced in but I really wanted a similar colored plant to replace them in the front. The hibiscus you mentioned sounds perfect! There are quite a few other plants I screenshot as well for future reference.