10 Winter Garden Prep Ideas

10 Winter Garden Prep Ideas

This video is in partnership with Gardena, Europe’s leading brand of high quality gardening tools. As winter approaches, there are quite a few things to do in the garden. Tasks that will help it sit out the winter and spring forth into new life next year.

These are 10 things that I’m doing in my own garden right now. They include ideas for creating new beds, creating and using compost, and helping wild animals survive the cold months too.

The main tool I’m using is Gardena’s Combisystem, a handle that has dozens of different gardening attachments. Find more information on it here: https://www.gardena.com/int/products/soil-ground/combisystem/

Questions for you:
— What are you doing in your garden right now to prepare for winter?
— What are the biggest challenges you have with keeping your garden going over winter?

1. If you enjoyed this video please give it a thumbs up and subscribe over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lovelygreenstv?sub_confirmation=1

2. Remember to TURN ON notifications to know when new videos are out

3. Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/lovelygreens

4. Have a question or comment? Please leave them below — I love to hear from you!

ABOUT LOVELY GREENS

#backyardgardening #allotment #vegetablegarden

1. D N on April 30, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Looking fantastic

2. 1jw2 on April 30, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Hmmm…. I thought everyone liked a fun guy……๐Ÿ˜‚

3. Pond and garden sanctuary on April 30, 2022 at 6:48 pm

nice video hoping to get down all this week to clear up

4. North Fell Equestrian on April 30, 2022 at 6:49 pm

Hi! I have been loving all your videos, a mutual friend who used to live on the Isle of Man recommended you after I told her I was starting a vegetable garden. Also, as I can literally see the Isle of Man from garden here in Cumbria I am guessing our climate/ seasons are quite similar which makes your tips etc even more useful as a lot of information etc is from people in the far south of england who don’t have to deal with our rain and wind that we get here ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. Beth Thurston on April 30, 2022 at 6:50 pm

I live in Southern California and we are still waiting for cool temperatures! I have all sorts of spring bulbs to plant sitting in my garage. Still too warm to plant them (70โ€™s,80โ€™s and even 90โ€™s Fahrenheit during the day). Cool crops are still in the seed packages. No rain in sight, just fires! We had good soaking rain last season, hope for the same this year! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป

6. GET PUMPED on April 30, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Hello!!! I love your garden!!! Please stay amazing!!! Thank you

7. jabopy on April 30, 2022 at 6:55 pm

Just wondering what you do with your worms over winter?

8. EcoCentric Homestead on April 30, 2022 at 6:56 pm

I guess winter prep is done here. Freezing temps the last three days. I do have a smoke bush I want to wrap though. it suffers from the frost over winter and doesn’t produce blooms if I don’t wrap it.

9. Saul Fernร ndez on April 30, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Lovely, interesting

10. Small Garden Quest on April 30, 2022 at 6:59 pm

I will be rebuilding my garden for next year. So raised bad building is on my list.

11. Mary Phillips on April 30, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Hi Tanya, You certainly have your hands full with your allotment plot as well as your garden plot ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

12. Green Life on April 30, 2022 at 7:01 pm

nice๐Ÿ˜โœŒ

13. ChrisW on April 30, 2022 at 7:01 pm

How do you decide what to grow on the allotment vs what you grow in your garden?

14. Tone Antonsen on April 30, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Now the snow is all over the kitchen garden. All cultivation sites are ready for sowing and planting out in the spring. Garlic is in the soil. so now it is planning what to grow next year

15. Walk By Faith Family on April 30, 2022 at 7:04 pm

I took 10 bags of shredded leaves off someoneโ€™s curb and put a thick layer of them on my garden and raised beds. ๐Ÿ˜†
    The rest went into compost bins. We are already getting snow in Nebraska -so I now sit and wait for spring.

16. Anj Kovo on April 30, 2022 at 7:05 pm

How do i prepare my strawberry plants for winter?

17. Joan Lewis-Short on April 30, 2022 at 7:06 pm

Can you give the web site to get those interchangeable garden tools you use.

18. Missouri Girl on April 30, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Weโ€™ve already had multiple frosts here in Missouri, US. Expecting big snow and rain tomorrow. Weโ€™ve cleaned up and cut back many plants but due to recent rains we were behind on we have not been able to get everything done or flower and veg beds done. Makes me sad. We literally had two days of turning leaves then winter and below freezing weather hit. We had no fall. Really makes it bad for the garden and d Spring will be more work. Sigh. Thanks for the sunny fun video! Youโ€™ve done an incredible job!

19. C G on April 30, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Was scrolling…. The music was enough to get me to watch! What a cheerful video!! Thanks!

20. Tractor Hyatt on April 30, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Thank you Tanya! Great tips and ideas! ๐Ÿšœ๐Ÿ‘

21. Jazmin Bennett on April 30, 2022 at 7:11 pm

What zone are you located in?

22. Simply Garden & Home on April 30, 2022 at 7:12 pm

I too love to plant tulip bulbs and other spring flowering bulbs. Have you ever tried forcing bulbs. I’ve been doing it pretty much every year since I was 18 years old. Hmm… That makes it now around 44 years forcing bulbs. Lol ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

23. Louis Norte on April 30, 2022 at 7:15 pm

I love your Island ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ

24. Charles Bale on April 30, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Great tips and useful information.

25. James Stubbins on April 30, 2022 at 7:20 pm

I’m clearing up after my allotment got flood in 2ft of water on Thursday 7th November, bean at allotment today Sunday and the water level as gone down hoping to get down all this week to clear up mess

26. Gabriela Cutrera on April 30, 2022 at 7:20 pm

In Argentina its quite hot now. Iยดm very busy with my garden!!! But your advices are great to remember in six months!!! Thank you!!!!

27. CJ on April 30, 2022 at 7:21 pm

I am the one who asked about the glues in cardboard etc. I am now composting those items. One thing I am unsure of is oak leaves. My neighbors tree loads, just loads my backyard with leaves when they fall. Can those be mulched and added to compost. Can the mulched leaves be spread around my winter crops. I am a zone 9 in No. California. Currently have beets, onions and garlic and kale planted. Wondering your take on acidic oak leaves. Thanks, love your channel.

28. Peter Stevens on April 30, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Good morning from Auckland, New Zealand its Friday, November 15, 2019

29. Craig Beas on April 30, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Loved the robin bought some cute colourful birdfeeders :)))

30. Gravefri Have on April 30, 2022 at 7:27 pm

๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ• Love your purple carrots ๐Ÿ˜ and your Organic Fuel powered Lawn Mover ๐Ÿ‘ more should see the Garden as a gym. We do โ€œsquatโ€ when weeding behind the rose bushes, and yoga twist and bed when pruning the cherry tree (from above). And you have a Stepping Machine, just to enter your raised part of the garden.
    ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‘ฃ When I count, I have like 15000 steps ๐Ÿ‘ฃ more than 10 km walk on a single day. And I move around several tons (sometimes). In return I have all the fresh air and veggies ๐Ÿ‘
    In a smaller garden just 30 min a day will make a great difference .. plus some walk and talk – Happy Gardening ๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿปโ€๐ŸŒพ๐Ÿง‘๐Ÿปโ€๐ŸŒพ๐Ÿ‘จ๐Ÿปโ€๐ŸŒพ

31. My Urban Garden Mary on April 30, 2022 at 7:28 pm

I need to be getting some things ready for Spring planting. In the southern United states we have a pretty short winter, well in recent years we have. This winter came much earlier than usual and has been forecast to be a cold wet winter. I hope that is true, we need the cold to kill off some pests.
    Very nice garden beds. Have a great weekend and best regards.
    Mary

32. Steven Dowden on April 30, 2022 at 7:30 pm

cracking video

33. Kirsten Whitworth on April 30, 2022 at 7:30 pm

I’ve been planting trees, many kinds of berries, grapes, 350+ bulbs, making micro greenhouses for my artichokes, mulching and cagings the new plants. I’m also building new no-til beds for next year. I have been leaving the leaves where they fall for the past two autumns, though.

34. Jana Carpenter on April 30, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Thanks so much for the great "checklist." I’m in Texas, so our growing season runs later. Your video will be helpful in reminding me of everything I still need to do. Love your videos!๐Ÿ’š

35. Athy Van den Berg on April 30, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Hi Tanya, I have also covered some of my vegetables like chard under fleece hoop tunnels. I have mulched with Strulch, but the bird like scratching in it or it is the cats. Anyway I have covered all beds with either fleece, hoop tunnels or enviro mesh or butterfly netting. All my pots have a layer of seaweed and leaf mould on them as fertiliser. Some of my beds got some homemade compost. I had a wormery but all my worms escaped so in the end I put the rest in the compost heap made of half size pallets. I also do Bokashi and the worms like that very much. The food waste is gone within a month and lots of worms. Thatโ€™s why the escaped I think. I have been collecting mole hill soil from a neighbouring farmer so I can fill up new pots. How is Louie doing? Eveline

36. Ana Findlay on April 30, 2022 at 7:34 pm

A month ago I received a truckload of wood chips so I have been busy distributing it through out my garden!
    definitely felt like getting a workout while transporting the wood chips.๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช Now my garden it’s completely grass free and hopefully those wood chips will be ready for planting in the next several years!!
    Thank you for all your advice Your garden looks amazing as alwaysโค๏ธโค๏ธ

37. Crank Tube on April 30, 2022 at 7:35 pm

To late. winter came to Sweden yesterday! ๐Ÿ˜›

38. Veronica White on April 30, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Hi Tanya. I’m just giving the plants survival water until the monsoon season returns. Plus, I tend not to plant out at this time of year as the heat becomes too intense for seedlings. I tend to focus more on general maintenance in either the very early morning or evening and retreating to inside during the day.๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿซ๐Ÿ˜„

39. Marilyn Halligan on April 30, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I need this kind of video. It inspires me to do my gardening works. I tend to become complacent once the weather cools and gloomy.

40. Tatiana Enders on April 30, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I can’t believe how much you’ve accomplished since you guys moved into this house!! Everything looks amazing!! <3 I hope you’ll show us the allotment garden soon, I feel like we haven’t seen it for a while.
    My garden season is coming to a close in just a couple of days – we have temperatures of -14C promised, so I’ll be harvesting the spinach from the cold-frame and that will be that for this season. I’m quite jealous that you get to have things growing year-round, but it’s also nice to have a break and spend time inside dreaming of next year’s garden.