Do It Yourself Growing Sweet Potato Slips #gardening

Do It Yourself Growing Sweet Potato Slips #gardening

We manage to grow a wide variety of veggies in our greenhouse despite challenging weather. Growing can be easy or hard, but we try to opt for easy. Come learn how Do It Yourself Growing Sweet Potato Slips works. #gardening

We grow plants for food year round in our off grid greenhouse. It’s been below freezing for several weeks. we need to get Planting Winter Crops In The Off Grid Greenhouse.

We decided last year to try growing greens and other vegetables in our greenhouse over the winter. Our tomato plants were killed by a freeze, but we are happy to report that we are successful growing them in our greenhouse!

Irene and Henry have been living off grid full time since 2005 on a 43 acre off grid homestead in the high desert of Northern Arizona. Situated at 5280′ elevation, we enjoy four seasons of beautiful scenery and weather about 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon.

We grow most of our green beans, peppers, yellow beans, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, squash, garlic, and herbs. Specialty crops like asparagus, sun chokes, and lavender are supplemented by foraged foods including wild ground cherries, prickly pear, and other native plants.

Electricity is made using solar panels and one 400W wind generator. We power our buildings in two groups: Irene’s studio by itself, and house infrastructure: house, greenhouse, and workshops.

Thanks for joining us on our continuing journey.

Take care.

Henry & Irene
BrainStorm Acres
PO Box 105
Ash Fork, AZ 86320

Follow us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/BrainStormAcres
Instagram: brainstormacres

1. Ronald Shaw's - Growing Area on April 30, 2022 at 6:39 pm

Hi Henry and Irene, It sounds you are very similar in food tastes to Susan and me, there are certain green veg that we don’t care for, I am trying some curly kale to see if we like that, sweet potatoes is something we are not keen on also, Take care and I’ll catch you on the next one.

2. adler arcing on April 30, 2022 at 6:40 pm

The never ending tale. You’ve given me so many things to look forward to seeing; seeds sprouting, sweet potatoes, things growing. I agree with you about the kale; I don’t like it either. Y’all take care.

3. Glynda Giles on April 30, 2022 at 6:47 pm

Really interesting! How do you separate the slips from the parent potato?

4. Jan Kotze on April 30, 2022 at 6:52 pm

Irene I planted my sweet potato like you do and it sprout out in many directions, I just leave it as is because they grow now back into the soil but still connected to the mother plant, is that OK

5. R G Homestead on April 30, 2022 at 6:59 pm

as always love the up dates on the gardening keep up the great work and have a great day as well

6. In the garden with Grandpa and Grandma on April 30, 2022 at 7:06 pm

Cool idea and sounds a little easier than the water method. Will have to look at our sweet potatoes we gt at the store and maybe set aside a few to try.
    Take care both of you
    Cheers
    Harold

7. InMyImage on April 30, 2022 at 7:19 pm

LOL I’ve never had kale to my knowledge but it seems to be the green that everyone loves to hate

8. Monisha Wm on April 30, 2022 at 7:21 pm

😍

9. CB's Greenhouse and Garden on April 30, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Alrighty lets see those taters kick in gear and growing. Thanks for showing how you plant your taters up. Stay safe and have a great day!