HOW TO CRITTER PROOF YOUR URBAN GARDEN

HOW TO CRITTER PROOF YOUR URBAN GARDEN

In this episode I share tips and tricks on how you can cheaply protect your veggies and fruits from critters without chemicals or pesticides. These barrier and netting options which will keep you garden and food safe from squirrel, rats, birds and invasive insects. Living in NYC during Covid-19, rats have been even more aggressive with many restaurants (their preferred location to find food) closed or operating at lower capacity, rats are venturing into backyard and community gardens to find food.

Now is the time to prepare and protect your garden against critters. Here are three easy effective options for protecting your veggies and fruit.

Chicken Wire Cover:
Great for cover to prevent squirrels, rodents, deer and bird from eating your garden beds.
Chicken Wire: $32. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Acorn-International-2-in-x-4-ft-x-50-ft-Poultry-Netting-PN24850/300954860
Wood: $4 2 in. x 2 in. x 8 ft. Furring Strip Board (total amount dependent on size of garden bed).
PVC Pipe (for hoop structure): $6, 1/2 in PVC Pipe (normally need about 12 feet for 6FT x 3FT Garden Bed).

Bird Netting: $22 (14 ft x 45 ft)

Veggie Mesh:
$50 (14 ft x33 ft): Prices vary and with Covid-19 there is less available. You’ll need to hunt a bit to find this.

If you have any questions or need more information on how to protect your veggies and fruit, please hit me up.

Sean
BK Gardenz

1. MISTYWORLD on May 1, 2022 at 6:52 pm

Great to keep cats out too Thank you for sharing

2. Raynay Valles on May 1, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Macgyver squirrels! hahaha! Thanks for this video. Looking for new ways to build a garden cover so simple, even I can do it.

3. Mike Kelley on May 1, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Great video, loved and really informative! Gave me some great ideas. UK squirrels are hard to stop in veggie gardens….the wire mesh looks like the way to go!

4. Jeff Leites on May 1, 2022 at 7:04 pm

The chicken wire and netting will keep the squirrels out, but rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter, and chew through the netting. Mice can get through a hole the size of a dime. I don’t know about the veggie mesh, but I assume rats and mice can chew through it too. I’m having a terrible problem this year. 🙁 I’m going to try making an enclosure with hardware cloth for my peppers. Hope 1/2" is good enough. It cost a lot more than chicken wire.

5. Tracey Byrd on May 1, 2022 at 7:09 pm

Thank you—very simple ideas to try!

6. narrowpathkjv.com on May 1, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Great ideas, Thanx!

7. Kenneth MacNeil on May 1, 2022 at 7:47 pm

"something is eating my pepper and tomato "newly planted 2 days ago"…4/17/2022 seedlings during the daytime …i’m losing my mind brother >…i’m gonna try that VEGGIE MESH !!! thank you !!!

8. Marilyn Berry on May 1, 2022 at 7:51 pm

So much less expensive than having a deer fence built! This is the video I’ve been waiting for! And it also protects against the other critters and insects! Loving it!