Vertical Gardening – 12 Vegetables That Can Be Grown On A Trellis

Vertical Gardening – 12 Vegetables That Can Be Grown On A Trellis

Growing on a trellis allows you to grow more food in less space. There are also some other great benefits to vertical gardening. In this video, I will talk about trellises, and show you 12 vegetables that can be grown on a trellis. If you are looking for a list of crops that can be grown on a trellis, this video should give you some good ideas of what can be grown vertically on a trellis. This isn’t a complete list of vegetables that can be grown on a trellis though, so be sure to add any that aren’t on this list in the comments below.

Growing Kiku Chrysanthemum Melon and Sakata’s Sweet Melon: https://youtu.be/hdegzIb0YHs
Python Snake Beans: https://youtu.be/N2Fi2eC7KWE
Kentucky Blue Pole Beans: https://youtu.be/fMH83kbbqpY
Growing Jicama: https://youtu.be/HTC_vAi_da8
My Top 5 Best Tasting Tomatoes: https://youtu.be/PC_CMu_pQew
5 Hot Peppers That Are Productive and Loaded With Flavor.: https://youtu.be/QfM8dZtBSQs

Subscribe to this channel: https://www.youtube.com/midwestgardener

My Nature Channel (Observing Nature): https://www.youtube.com/user/heroletters

Midwest Gardener is also on Facebook and Instagram.

I garden in zone 6b, in the state Kansas. I would love to hear from you, so feel free to comment, make suggestions, ask a question, give tips, tell about your garden, or even offer constructive criticism.
Thanks for watching!

6:14 Squash
6:32 Jicama
7:22 Tomatoes
8:01 Tomatillo
8:29 Peppers

1. Madison Nanda on May 3, 2022 at 6:50 pm

Sir you just changed my life.. it makes so much sense.and I can grow more in my small yard. Thank you for sharing

2. Monica Velez on May 3, 2022 at 6:50 pm

I’m in my 2nd year; last year I learned how to start seedlings and transplant. This year I am learning how to trellis, trying 2 different methods. I think on the patio I will use the store-bought steel cages, and along the brick wall I am planning stakes and , string method. I hope for a bigger and better crop this year. What am I growing you ask? Cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, bell (sweet) pepper, and cucumbers. I’m also trying the hanging method for some red chile peppers and jalepenos. I just subscribed today. Greetings from southern California. Thank you for your wealth of information!

3. Mel on May 3, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Harder n harder to find good quality seeds n Indy

4. Kitchen Garden Oficial channel on May 3, 2022 at 6:54 pm

Hy🙋

5. DreidMusicalX on May 3, 2022 at 6:54 pm

What zone do you live in?

6. downbntout on May 3, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Can’t forget my trellised blackberries

7. Kim Chau Tran on May 3, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Try chayotee!

8. Apsara Soukea on May 3, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Awesome 👏👏👏

9. They Call Me Sunshine on May 3, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Great video 👍🏼very detailed and full of helpful information

10. Vijayashree Suriyanarayanan on May 3, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Wow, what a lovely garden. I see your plants are healthy and giving good yield. I’m a new gardener. Can you share some tips on soil preparation, compost or other fertilizer you use. How do you protect your plants

11. Ban GMO on May 3, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Lufah vine

12. Cabin on the Hill on May 3, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Loved the video!

13. ravi kumar on May 3, 2022 at 7:04 pm

👍Beautiful garden

14. Rhonda Anderson on May 3, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Do you have any seed to sell?

15. Bake A Leg And Let's Dig It Homestead on May 3, 2022 at 7:06 pm

Great video ty

16. Mark Limkoh on May 3, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Very good information ! Just wonder where did u buy all this seeds ? did you get it from the same tree for next year or … ? Love your videos and I will plan to start growing my vegetables starting next spring 2022.
    Thank you vey much. You are amazing 🙂 God Bless

17. Mr. Kazal bhaier, shokher bagan, London. on May 3, 2022 at 7:09 pm

Really nice video, thanks for sharing with all gardeners. There is any video when and which month we can start growing vegetables in cold weather, like European countries, for shot summer time we don’t get vegetables ontime, plants dies.

18. Rhonda Anderson on May 3, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Sorry for the green beans

19. Farida A.R. on May 3, 2022 at 7:13 pm

Amazing Information of home gardening. Thanks for sharing.

20. Huraira Herbals on May 3, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Lots of great info. Thank you sir! I’m going to try growing cucumbers and squash on a trellis again this year. I tried it last year only to run out of trellissing materials.

21. Rebecca Beavers on May 3, 2022 at 7:15 pm

Kale and sweet pea works well on a cow panel also

22. Bella Schilling on May 3, 2022 at 7:18 pm

The seeds of jicamas u can collect them (dried ) it for nx season to grow.

23. Timothy McAninch on May 3, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Hi. Great video! Another trellis veggie is the pea. Sweat pea, snow pea, snap pea, almost all peas need support.

24. lynne b on May 3, 2022 at 7:20 pm

what do you fertilize with?

25. Aladdin's Nightmare on May 3, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Hi, Midwest, Just found your channel via a friend. Love the trellis ideas. We just to moved to MO last year, and I’m starting my first garden ever this year. Looks like more things can be trellised than I thought! YEA! I have a question about seeds, though, after reading the comments, here: You say you buy seeds from Gurneys, etc. Should one buy new seeds every year? Does one just toss the rest of the packet of seeds after planting? I was all set to store my leftovers in envelopes till next year, so if this a bad idea, please let me know. Thank You, and Blessing to You and Yours. Mary Ann

26. Jessie Rogers on May 3, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Really enjoyed this video! Thanks for sharing!

27. Aleksandra Bissani on May 3, 2022 at 7:20 pm

sweet potato

28. Smita Ghosh on May 3, 2022 at 7:21 pm

The long beans you show look terrific! Which company did you buy these seeds from? I have to grow cherry tomatoes and peas on trellises. Without a trellis those two plants are completely unmanageable in my garden! I have never grown long beans before but will give it a go this year. I am hearing they only produce for about 4 weeks and then fade away. Did you find this to be true?

29. Amy Deng on May 3, 2022 at 7:21 pm

WOW amazing . Where can i buy the seeds for No.1 Long beans & No. 9 Jimaca , please ?

30. Veronica on May 3, 2022 at 7:24 pm

?? What are your thoughts on pruning cucumber vines? I tried it but didn’t really see a benefit.

31. Lam P on May 3, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Sir, I’m still a beginner 3rd year gardener and am most grateful I’ve found your videos today. This one was extremely informative! May I ask how many feet you cut your 5’ cages? They’re genius!

32. Markie on May 3, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Great video! Someone probably already said it but spaghetti squash, watermelon and pumpkins. I provide the fruit with “slings” made from old t-shirts, hosiery, or stretch netting for support. There’s a few things in your vid I haven’t tried. Number 1 on your list for me is Malabar Spinach. Thanks for sharing!

33. Esther Ruth Garcia on May 3, 2022 at 7:26 pm

I disagree that the pods of the Jicama are poisonous, I’ve been eating it since I was a kid back in the Philippines, you have to cook them when they are still tender.

34. joseph smathers on May 3, 2022 at 7:26 pm

great video

35. City-Wide Gardens Zone 6b NJ on May 3, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Nj zone 6b here! New Sub also. Your vids are very relaxing to watch and listen to!!

36. Jeffrey S Carnley on May 3, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Snow peas & Snap peas, are also great on a trellis. You have a lot of great ideas I am going to try. I like your tomato tasting video’s, you got me started on Dwarf tomatoes, too. Thanks for videoes.

37. mystaphaphas on May 3, 2022 at 7:33 pm

1:21 Such a lot of beans in a small space

38. T Clodfelter on May 3, 2022 at 7:34 pm

I just started trellis’s last year and I love the results. I’ll be expanding this year!!

39. Adv. Neeraja on May 3, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Hi, great video 😍 i am from India and i have Malabar spinach in my home garden…it’s good to see our local spinach in your garden..i also have those Brazilian papers..they are really hot 😍

40. Falconlore on May 3, 2022 at 7:36 pm

If you have the weather for corn you can use them as a trellis for your beans and they seem to love each. I have just really started learning about companion plants and it seems that native American’s used to plant together what was called the Three Sisters corn, beans and squash. When grown together the results are supposed to be spectatuclar.

41. laurie mcewen on May 3, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Midwest Gardener..Don’t know what I like more ….your vegetables or your soothing voice.

42. Valarie Annaliza on May 3, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Great info!

43. PAT WALKER on May 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Thank you for the information about the Armenian cucumbers. I am hoping to do raised gardens this year and I was worried about the weight of the Armenian cucumbers if I tried growing them on a trellis to save space. I have mobility issues and thought that a small garden to start with would be good.

44. Positive Outcome on May 3, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Had to save this video! Thank You 🙏

45. Black Rifle Homestead on May 3, 2022 at 7:44 pm

This was really informative! I’m also gardening in Kansas but zone 6a. I really want to do more vertical gardening this year!! Sharing this video ok my Facebook page as it was so helpful.

46. Cheshire Farm on May 3, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Loved the video! Very helpful, thank you.

47. Mary Harrison on May 3, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Peas!

48. CarChrisMC on May 3, 2022 at 7:48 pm

Amazing info, but the narrator got me cracking for 9min 🤣

You forget another BIG advantage of growing vertical: NO WEED BATTLES COVERING ALL

Will build a 20m2 vertical green house this year… 💪🏻😉
    Tomatoes, beans, paprika, peppers, squash, cucumbers… mainly

49. Adventure Creations on May 3, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Nicely done. Good food for thought!

50. Miren Hary on May 3, 2022 at 7:49 pm