FAILURE makes Success More Sweet | Gardening + Preserving on our Homestead

FAILURE makes Success More Sweet | Gardening + Preserving on our Homestead

First preserving of the season, making new garden beds, and lots of poultry babies make this a fun Spring!

Chapters:
0:34 Turkey poults
1:06 Fail #1
4:20 Fail #2
6:34 Weed management and prevention
8:39 Chicken tractor #4
9:17 Making garden beds for kids gardens, part 1
10:16 What we add for amendments in a new garden
11:17 Making garden beds for kids gardens pt2
12:11 Success #1 harvesting and preserving spinach
15:41 Success #2

Mentions in the video + Recipe (includes some affiliate links)

Spinach Pasta
~1 egg and spinach totaling 105 grams
Eggs vary in weight, so you weigh the egg then add the remain grams needed of spinach. Then after measuring, blend into a liquid.
~250 grams flour- we use half durum wheat (I buy my wheat here: https://www.azurestandard.com/?a_aid=0Hay9RSz0J) and half all purpose flour
~Pour into pasta maker and press auto cycle. Pasta maker is found here: https://amzn.to/3y0NIix
~Dehydrator I use: https://amzn.to/3vp0dmq

Wheat Grinder (mine is 15 years old and still works as good as new!): https://amzn.to/3KtpzDT
Freeze Dryer: https://affiliates.harvestright.com/1290.html
Soil Knife: https://amzn.to/3kHvElT
Garden Hat: https://amzn.to/3wg870L

Application rates for wood ash: https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/wood-ash-fertilizer-zb0z09zblon/#targetText=Only%20use%20wood%20ash%20on,feet%20in%20a%20given%20year.

Shop my Favorites: https://www.theseasonalhomestead.com/shop-my-favorite-things/
Music:https://www.epidemicsound.com/referral/5slh1q

1. skdjirrrdjdm on May 4, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Our chickens ate up all our peas we planted as well as thoroughly scratched and dug up our carrot bed. I forgot how much trouble they can get up to! Cold slow start to spring here in southern Michigan. I wonder what kind of late spring/summer it will be.

2. Tanya on May 4, 2022 at 6:53 pm

I see all of you wear rain boots, do you have a tick problem or any other reason you were tall boots?

3. Quite Quiet ASMR on May 4, 2022 at 6:55 pm

I love the transition from March 11th to April 25th!! Gardens are such a magical place! I’m so happy for you and your family to be living this life!

4. Linanne Bice on May 4, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Practical math class..no stupid common core..beautiful..good job mom

5. Echols2009 on May 4, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Blue birds got my peas. I planted 8 feet. Only had 10 plants come up and 3 of those were stunted for some reason. They were immediately covered in afids. I probably won’t get peas this year.

6. Emily Fanslow on May 4, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Has anyone anyone ever told you that you kind of look like Erin from the office

7. Marna Sampognaro on May 4, 2022 at 6:58 pm

Lovely episode! Thank you for sharing, you inspire me,

8. KatieZ on May 4, 2022 at 6:58 pm

It’s the billions of organisms in the soil that makes a difference.

9. Jan Banks on May 4, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Just stumbled onto your channel…novice gardner trying to grow and preserve food in really sandy soil at the beach lol! Looking forward to following and watching your garden grow! And we have had a crazy cool spring here as well…

10. Because He-Lives on May 4, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Peas story resonates 😅

11. Brenda Howell on May 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Get some tuelle fabric soak in lavender other bug repellent then cover your plants works with all criters

12. ellie jobe on May 4, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Kids all over the world should watch this & finally get the answer to………Will I ever use math when I grow up?

13. MicrobeFeeder on May 4, 2022 at 7:02 pm

What another great video. Your family is so adorable. I just love your homestead. If you have a chance to answer a question, I’m curious as to what tool you were using to cut your lettuce and greens.

14. Korgan Rivera on May 4, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Have you tried figuring out how many calories you’re each getting daily?

15. Xiao Panda Preschool on May 4, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Abe started watching this over my shoulder and when it was just your head talking to the camera he pointed and said “Mama!” 😂

16. Jeanne Amato on May 4, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Great way to teach cooking and math.

17. egal egal on May 4, 2022 at 7:05 pm

8:46 do not flex next to cars!
    The sparks burn into the paint and in the glass and then you have everywhere small rusting fragments

18. Emily Brereton on May 4, 2022 at 7:06 pm

Curious why you have two different styles of chicken tractors. Was it just to try out what you like? Or are they for certain reasons?

19. Schweizer Mädel on May 4, 2022 at 7:08 pm

Love your channel and all the love, care and wonderful work you put into healthy and nourishing food for your loved ones! Thank you for sharing!
    To what regards the weed problem, maybe Richard Perkins and his Regenerative Agricultur has some good ideas for you https://www.youtube.com/c/RichardPerkinsofRidgedale

20. Elisa B on May 4, 2022 at 7:11 pm

I giggled when you talked about your peas!! Something similar happened to me this weekend…our hens managed to sneak out and ate a few of our broccoli!!

21. Amy's Gardenstead on May 4, 2022 at 7:13 pm

We got down to 32 last night. My tomatoes are in my unheated greenhouse with a double layer of frost cover. They did ok the night before. I will uncover them in about an hour when it warms up a little more. Big difference between 24 and 34.

22. me me on May 4, 2022 at 7:15 pm

You are amazing and you are kind and you’re a good mom and you’re a hard worker you and your husband were great together. And I love that you guys laugh a lot because I laugh a lot and it’s healthy. And this was amazing. Now I’ve seen people use that oh what does that mean machine you have now The monkey hydrator but the other one you got the bigger one and they’ve done their eggs and their cream with that. And the eggs work great so something to think about. Anyways thank you again for this video I thoroughly enjoyed it and you have a great day and God bless

23. DeAnn steensland on May 4, 2022 at 7:18 pm

What zone are you?

24. Fables and the Moon on May 4, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I’ve often wondered how big your garden is including the new extension. I don’t know if I missed that info. I loved this episode and your garden journey is a joy to watch. Wondering about any tips for rotating crops??? I have read with no dig and amending the soil does not make it as necessary to move crops around each season.

25. Heather Cox on May 4, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Love your videos, and the background music you use always adds so much. Makes for very tranquil videos.❤️🌱

26. Bestbuilder on May 4, 2022 at 7:21 pm

For a supposable "no till" garden, you are tilling the heck out of it, just saying.. No till, means, no till, start to finish. Either way, whatever you are doing seems to be working for you.

27. Our Freedom Song on May 4, 2022 at 7:22 pm

I wanted to cry this morning because my chickens got in the garden and dig up my asparagus AND my cucumbers …. 😭

28. Danielle Dykstra on May 4, 2022 at 7:24 pm

What type of salad dressing do you make for your lovely greens?

29. Carol Tomlinson on May 4, 2022 at 7:25 pm

How do you store the spinach pasta after you have dried it? Thanks.

30. Julia Garza on May 4, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Your kids are Amazing! I have heath issues which doesn’t allow me to garden like I did in my younger years so I can feel some joy of gardening through your videos! Thank you!

31. Tillis Ross on May 4, 2022 at 7:26 pm

There’s going to be a day when your children tell their children of the greatness of their grandparents.

32. Memyself andi on May 4, 2022 at 7:27 pm

I’m in Northern Tennessee and it’s been a very warm spring for us

33. Ashley R on May 4, 2022 at 7:27 pm

I love your videos! I hope to one day have a homestead. Been growing in a 10×6 ft garden for the past 10 yrs. I finally had the courage to expand to 20×6 ft! Thank you for sharing ! Where did you get your gardening hat? Super cute.

34. Mczilla on May 4, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Great video the spinach pasta segment was amazing i may have to give that a try.

35. Damien Lawrance on May 4, 2022 at 7:28 pm

Not throwing around accusations, but that mark on your daughters arm at 14.40 time looks like a handmark bruise from being squeezed.
    I realise on the farm accidents happen.
    Love your vids

36. Our Peaceful Haven Amanda on May 4, 2022 at 7:30 pm

You should link your hat! 👩🏼‍🌾 💕 (and your blue sweater!) 😁

37. LRMS MRLS on May 4, 2022 at 7:30 pm

My asparagus froze. I was rather sad looking.

38. Mitten Prepper Veteran on May 4, 2022 at 7:31 pm

LOVE watching your videos! Thank you for sharing the trials so that others can learn from you. Your Family is so blessed.

39. C James on May 4, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Great way to roll with the punches!

Ive seen folks use old trampoline frames for their movable chicken pens. And throwing boards on the ground where your pen will be the day before encourages bugs to hide out under it…which the chickens can eat when you move them.

40. Diana G. Thomas, MBA on May 4, 2022 at 7:36 pm

It’s so nice and refreshing to see young couples and their children working together around the home and mom teaching them how to cook and use the appliances and dad teaching his sons how to use tools. This is how my parents did with our family, and they have gone home to be with the Lord and I am using the training and skills my parents taught me as I continue on my homestead journey. Thanks for sharing your family with us.

41. Peggy Hutchinson on May 4, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Its really nice to hear about the things that didn’t go as planned- it’s my first year gardening and I just had a huge setback, nice to know I’m not the only one 🙂

42. Mary Egerton on May 4, 2022 at 7:38 pm

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for giving us the spinach pasta recipe equation’s. How long was it in the dehydrator for? I want some for my next years pantry. I made gnocchi last fall from some pumpkin that I grew and froze it. I was so happy to have it this past winter. The weather was brutal and this spring has been cold as well here in Ontario. It’s funny though, no matter how bad the weather is, the garlic always does well. ☮️💕

43. nwilliams551 on May 4, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I love the way your videos cover some time so we can see some progress in each one. And thank you so much for including the cooking side of things. You have been a huge inspiration to me!!

44. precious1porvida on May 4, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I absolutely love that your children are involved in every single aspect of what y’all are doing. Thank you for sharing ❤️

45. Alexandra H on May 4, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I absolutely love your videos! Your family is amazing & inspiring! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Can’t wait to see the next one! ❤️🙏

46. Raven Hummel on May 4, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Doesn’t say which state you are in??? Shovels and hoes would make a lot more sense than all of the forks.

47. Mayfield Ranch on May 4, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Can you share your pasta recipe? It looks good! I’d love to try it.

48. Brianna Hurst on May 4, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Is there a food preservation cookbook you use and recommend?

49. Jeanne Amato on May 4, 2022 at 7:44 pm

I never trust weathermen because they are frequently wrong.

50. Olga Melchakova on May 4, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Hello, I have the commercial proposal for your channel. How can I contact you?