How to Grow Raspberries, Blueberries, and Blackberries in Containers

How to Grow Raspberries, Blueberries, and Blackberries in Containers

Check out the Bushel and Berry collection here: https://www.bushelandberry.com/varieties I’m HUGE on berries at the Epic Homestead and plan to grow as many varieties as possible, both in ground and in containers. For those of you with limited space or the “wrong” climate for berries, this video will help you get started no matter where you live, and how much space you have.

TIMESTAMPS

10:35 – Blueberry Basics
11:45 – Blueberry Soil Mix
13:45 – Blueberry Potting and Bird Control
15:32 – Blueberry Care and Mulch
17:09 – Berry Corner Overview

IN THIS VIDEO

Huge thank you to Bushel and Berry for sponsoring this video – I love their container fruit varieties, especially their low-chill hour requirement varieties that work well in my warm zone.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Other links may be affiliate links as well, in which Epic Gardening earns a small commission for referring a sale.

→ Jelly Bean Blueberry: https://www.bushelandberry.com/jelly-bean
→ Baby Cakes Blackberry: https://www.bushelandberry.com/baby-cakes
→ Raspberry Shortcake: https://www.bushelandberry.com/raspberry-shortcake
→ Espoma Organic Berry-Tone: https://amzn.to/3yv415a
→ Espoma Organic Mushroom Compost: https://www.espoma.com/product/mushroom-compost/
→ Potato Fork: https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/epicgardening.html
→ Pots from Planter Paradise: https://www.yelp.com/biz/planter-paradise-el-cajon

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/epicgardening
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

DISCLAIMER

Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. More info on our process: https://www.epicgardening.com/disclaimer/

1. Justin on May 11, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I have found that cane berries are more sensitive to excess nutrients, and organics are a natural fit. They are also one of the only mixes I still use perlite in. Perlite is nice for aeration, but it breaks down too fast in the soil, it does not store nutrients and is rather expensive. When determining pot size for a plant, I subtract perlite from the potting mix volume. A 5 gallon container containing 20% perlite should be treated as 4 gallons of medium.
    High quality coco coir will give the same drainage advantage of perlite. General Hydroponics Coco-tek is the best I know of. Most coco coir medium is made from leftover pith, after the fibers have been extracted. Coco-tek is more like granulated husk, with the pith and fiber still intact. For cane berries, I like 2 parts peat moss, 2 parts GH coco-tek, 1 part non-burning composted cow manure, and 1 part perlite. Dr. Earth Acid Lovers is a great fertilizer for cane berries, but there are other good products.
    For blueberries, start with 3 parts peat moss, 2 parts GH Coco-tek, and 1 part non-burning composted cow manure. Use a non-aluminum soil acidifier; Jobes and Espoma make a gypsum/sulfur product that works well. Miracle-Gro Miracid is really good for blueberries, for the first 1-2 years. Once they are established, switch to organic berry fertilizer.

I am curious to know how the berries are doing this year.

2. Leah Laframboise on May 11, 2022 at 7:20 pm

How deep a pot do you need for blueberries and raspberries?

3. Tressan Allen Martin on May 11, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Thank you so much ..btw…what kinda fruit tree behind you?

4. ANoteToSelf on May 11, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Instead of netting, you can use Toole or tutu material and tomato stakes around your blueberries to prevent birds and pests from bothering your fruit. Robbie from Robbie & Gary’s gardening channel have shown this technique. It’s better for the birds as well. I like to encase my plant in the Toole and close it up with clothes-pins for extra protection.

5. Laura Perry on May 11, 2022 at 7:23 pm

So what size of containers?

6. Terry Christ on May 11, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Do you have to have a different kind of blueberry plant to pollinate your other blueberry plant that is a different variety. Like I have the Duke blueberry plants I got two of them, do I need to plant a pollinator for those blueberry plants?

7. Joy Daniel on May 11, 2022 at 7:28 pm

May I know how big is your pot? And can I put holly tone cuz I don’t have the berry tone.

8. Courtney Hester on May 11, 2022 at 7:29 pm

I love watching your videos! They have helped me so much especially with my tomato plants last year. I would love if you did a video like this for strawberries. Im Trying those out this year and I’m trying them out in a hanging container. Thank you!!

9. David Casselman on May 11, 2022 at 7:29 pm

I’m in Zone 9a growing Misty Blueberries and I heard you need to treat the blueberries like once a week with a vinegar solution? Hard to find good advice in AZ for gardening but maybe you have experience with keeping soil right for blueberries potted outside I’m AZ?

10. Shari Lynn on May 11, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Help! I purchased a raspberry and blackberry plants in the form of what looks pretty much like sticks. I planted it in soil mixed with mulch, watered them deeply, and have been putting it outside daily. The problem is, on the blackberry plant ( stick with roots, essentially) there was an additional sprouting when I unwrapped it. It looked healthy, however, now it has shriveled up! Have I destroyed it?! It has been in full sun about 5 to 7 hours daily, in about 70 to 77 degree weather in new mexico! I bring them in for the night. Is this hopeless?! Help!

11. Morgan Pomfret on May 11, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Do you know if Bushel and Berry use anything that ends in "cide" on their plants (pesticide, herbicide, fungicide)? Are they organic?

12. Seed Root Sprouts on May 11, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Anyone know the size of these pots?

13. Timothy Nevins on May 11, 2022 at 7:34 pm

I wanted to let you know I have gardened in the past and I have been watch your videos and laerned things I did not even know

14. Stop Wars 86 on May 11, 2022 at 7:35 pm

so those pots have no drain holes? can these be indoors as well, with grow light or window sun light

15. Carrie C on May 11, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Great video, going to pot a blueberry using your ratios today! Have you done a video on pineapple guava? I work for a landscaping company and just got some from a client who had us remove them. I need to nurse them back to health.

16. Shelly Scott on May 11, 2022 at 7:38 pm

How big are your pots??

17. Aisha EXO-L on May 11, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Thank you very much for all your tips!

18. Sage Premoe on May 11, 2022 at 7:39 pm

What sized pots did did you plant your berry bushes in?

19. Cassia Ball on May 11, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Yea but how much did you pay for all this bc cost is a huge factor in farming

20. Ylva Bjarnson on May 11, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Do those containers have little holes in the bottom so they can drain?

21. Jacqueline Howard on May 11, 2022 at 7:46 pm

I don’t think I have room to add berries to my garden, but I enjoyed the video. I think you do a great job of teaching how to think like a gardener!

22. JOSEPHINE CUNNINGHAM on May 11, 2022 at 7:47 pm

What do you feed your berry plants if the stores don’t have it for sale? Is there a way to make those ammendment yourself? If so, how would you make it?

23. Erica Nogueira on May 11, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Hi there, thanks for the video! I bought a blueberry plant from a local nursery, I don’t know the age of the plant, but it already has a few flowers and has a few small berries growing. I know that blueberries like an acidic soil and when I tested the soil in the pot it’s reading as very alkaline. Any suggestions for how to get the soil ph to acidic without disturbing the plant too much? I have added blueberry-specific, acidic fertilizer but the ph is still reading alkaline.

24. Danielle Leonetti on May 11, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I bought a bare root golden raspberry plant. It just sprouted and it looks healthy so I’m excited. I also have a pink lemonade blueberry plant, it’s flowering but not producing fruit. Not sure why.

25. StayLushus on May 11, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Curious, what are the Yellow fruits growing on the tree to your left ?

26. Athena Zhao on May 11, 2022 at 7:53 pm

I love those containers. Where did you purchase it from?

27. Brandi Lee on May 11, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Bushel and berry need to have their plants more accessible. The ones in tractor supply are awful. At least at my store. I want their strawberry plants so bad but I’m not paying over 100 for 4 strawberry plants.

28. John Beverage on May 11, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Blackberries are my favorite, I live in the Florida panhandle 9b. I’m changing over to fabric pots. Will berries do well in these containers.

29. spottedlilly101 on May 11, 2022 at 7:57 pm

This is so perfect, I just bought some Bushel and Berry blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries!

30. Zoidberg on May 11, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Man…once you start seeing birds, you will see flocks lol. They communicate well and are very smart when looking for food. They even snatch the cat food from my outdoor cats, little rascals.

31. odbo on May 11, 2022 at 7:59 pm

I have abundances of berries, perfection.

32. Christ the way, truth, life on May 11, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
    John 14:6 (NKJV)

Salvation:

Confess and repent of all your sins in prayer in the name of Jesus.
    Forgive those who have harmed you (this will free you from anger) as God forgave you.
    Believe Jesus died to blot out your sins and proclaim He is your Lord and Saviour.
    Believe He rose again 3 days later in the flesh by God’s hand.
    Be baptised fully immersed in water and be baptised in the Holy Spirit (if possible).
    Repent daily.
    By grace you are saved through Faith (belief).
    Live pure and stop sinning.
    Follow the spiritual laws:
    Love you neighbour as yourself and love God with all your heart, soul and mind.
    Develop a relationship with God.
    Be obedient.
    Do fruitful charitable deeds.

Jesus is coming soon. We are living in the final days …

33. victor lopez on May 11, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Thnx I’m taking notes

34. Monica Bondevik on May 11, 2022 at 8:01 pm

So with blackberries it’s so strange to me as they’re basically a weed here in the UK, yeah we love eating the berries but the brambles in our garden are hell to get rid of.

35. B.A.D. Dickie on May 11, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Did you ever finish the blackberry trellis video?

36. Chiringo on May 11, 2022 at 8:02 pm

True I live in Finland where blueberries grow in almost all forests. They like the most moist and shadowed forest which is full of bark and moss on the ground.

37. TOWANDA WALKER on May 11, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Where did you get the containers for planting the berries?

38. Vickie Meisinger on May 11, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I truly enjoyed this video. I have been a farmer, I l landscaper in three Midwest states as an adult returning to one in particular when my mother was diagnosed with cancer in 2000 and iamb just recently in the last five years finding the joy of container gardening. My only frustration with this video is it it doesn’t apply to my soon. In fact several of the gardeners I love to listen to that is the case. I want to move east and south because you guys have better gardening zones and I do in the Midwest. And definitely a nicer variety of plants both floral and fruit and vegetables. I know I can figure this out myself but it’s just be nice if somebody did some of the planning for me especially as I am now fighting cancer myself. … gardening is good for my soul and helps fight cancer as well. Keep planting in those parts and I’ll keep watching your show❣️❣️❣️❣️❣️❣️❣️

39. Fernandez Farm on May 11, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Shout out to Acadia national Park 👍
    Love that place, A haven for wild berries and apples

40. Daniel Ashman on May 11, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Why do berries go in containers as opposed to raised beds?

41. Janet jubilee Busener on May 11, 2022 at 8:06 pm

My three cats stop birds and mice in their tracks. Blueberries should be better this year. The first year never offers much yield.

42. Laura Wirges on May 11, 2022 at 8:06 pm

My blueberry bushes are growing great but the berries are very very tiny. They never get big. What am I doing wrong??

43. Mickey Monster on May 11, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Just dont give up. All good things take time. I havent had success with blueberries yet but its my new top priority. Im going to freeze a pack of organic pack from the local store here on Kauai. Im in Hawaii. I have strawberries and an apple tree, both of which everyone said was impossible. Its not, Im harvesting them both every day. And Im telling you, it takes time and patience, but it really works.

I started this 5 years ago. Im having 80 percent success and 20 percent failure in my garden but I have spinach, tomatoes, onions, garlic, summer squash, lima beans, bell peppers, jalepenos, lettuce, strawberries, mangos, apples, pineapple and guava and in a few years, hopefully avocado, lemon and orange trees. the orange atrees are only a foot tall, but they came from seeds . BTW the pineapple is the size of a nerf football and it took 2 years but it was the top of a pineapple bought at Safeway. LOL

44. AJ Boggs on May 11, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Where do you buy your micro bark mulch? I live in central Texas, zone 8b, and I’m trying to find it to make my mix for my blueberry bushes.

45. Epic Gardening on May 11, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Thanks to Bushel and Berry for sponsoring and providing these EPIC varieties: https://www.bushelandberry.com/varieties

46. David Downey on May 11, 2022 at 8:11 pm

I started some garden beds and have blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Some of them have done alright but others have died in the same garden bed. Same with my strawberry bed. What would cause some to die and some to thrive?

47. Julie Mcgugan on May 11, 2022 at 8:11 pm

What are pincher bugs?

48. d.b. Sorensen on May 11, 2022 at 8:13 pm

All you folks that have all these wild ways of mixing your potting soils need to run to the nearest harbor Freight and plunk down about $ 249.00 for a 31/2 cubic ft cement mixer! There is no better way to mix all your potting soil, compost and amendments then just dump it into a wheel barrow or container ! it will mix everything perfectly and save a lot of shovel work.One other benefit of having your own cement mixer is ,Think of all the little landscape concrete jobs you have wished you could do.

49. Victor Millen on May 11, 2022 at 8:15 pm

There’s blackberry in a cemetery near my place and it’s like 3meters tall, and I only know about that because the treetop actually grow over and beyond the walls of the cemetery 😂😂 there’s a lot of fruit every summer but unfortunately it’s not in a easily pickable place

50. Rebekah Hopfer on May 11, 2022 at 8:15 pm

I read that blackberries and mint are companion plants. Can I plant them in the same pot? I know mint spreads like wildfire and don’t want them to compete in the pot… recommendations?