Preparing Your Garden (and soil) for Winter

Preparing Your Garden (and soil) for Winter

Never miss a new video! Subscribe to our channel to be notified whenever we publish a new video!
Click “SHOW MORE” if you’re new to our channel and “MORE ABOUT US” for some freebies!
~~~~~~~~~~~
It’s the end of the season, you’ve got your harvest in and are busy preserving everything. The gardens done, nothing left to do until spring right?

Wrong!

Now is the time to prepare your garden (and soil) for winter and the coming spring. You do not want to leave your soil bare all winter and you do want your soil prepared and ready for the spring planting now.

In this video, Josh will share with you the key things you need to to to prepare your garden and soil for winter and spring at the same time.
~~~~~~~~~~~
MORE ABOUT US!

WELCOME! We’re so glad you’re here! Let’s start growing, preserving & THRIVING! We are Josh and Carolyn Thomas. Together with our nine children, we are The Homesteading Family where we’re living a self-sustainable life in beautiful North Idaho. Let us welcome you and show you a bit about us here: http://bit.ly/HFWelcomeVideo

Visit our blog: https://www.homesteadingfamily.com
Follow us on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/homesteadingfamily/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/homesteadingfamily
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/homesteadingfamily/

A few highlights you don’t want to miss are our FREEBIES!!

Click any of the links below for instant access to free video training resources:

Healthy Healing at Home – Learn how to confidently use herbal medicine in your home with this FREE 4 video workshop. https://homesteadingfamily.com/HHHyt

Your Best Loaf – A Free 4 video workshop teaching you how to make great bread at home, every time, regardless of the recipe you are using. https://homesteadingfamily.com/free-bread-workshop

Meals on Your Shelf – Can along with me! Learn to can and put jars of a delicious meal on your pantry shelf with this FREE video series. https://homesteadingfamily.com/MOYS-free-workshop

Click any of the links below for instant access to these free downloadable PDFs:

– 5 Steps to a More Self Sufficient Life- Simple PDF download on 5 steps anyone can take wherever they are to start a more self-sufficient lifestyle.
– Thrive Wellness Checklist- A simple PDF download for healthy living.
– Permaculture for Your Homestead- PDF download that is an introduction to permaculture with some strategies for applying it to one’s homestead and garden.
– Carolyn’s Cottage Garden herb list- PDF with Carolyn’s favorite herbs for growing at home.
– Carolyn’s Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles- Carolyn’s favorite make-ahead breakfast casseroles.
– Your FREE Guide to Preserving Eggs- PDF download with multiple ways to preserve eggs.
– 5 Steps to a Healthy Garden- PDF download with an explanation of what makes healthy soil and 5 steps you can take to improve your garden
– Save the Crumbs- Several Recipes for using bread leftovers, a less committal entry to bread than the workshop.
– Fearless Fermenting- A PDF on basic lacto-ferments.
– Fermenting Tomatoes- PDF download on fermenting tomatoes
– Preserving Culinary Herbs- Downloadable, step by step directions to drying, freezing and salting culinary herbs.
– Render Your Own Lard- PDF with instructions on how to render your own lard.

#garden #gardenprep #wintergardenprep #winter #preparedness

1. Mike Griffin on May 13, 2022 at 7:36 pm

We found out using wood chips here in the east coast of Virginia was causing us a bad termite problem.

2. Anne Simon on May 13, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Are you in the US or Canada? What part?

3. Rita Mitchell on May 13, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Do you put your wood ashes on your compost pile ,or maybe your garden beds ?

4. Workin On It on May 13, 2022 at 7:39 pm

The easiest mulch I have used are OLD ROUND BALES of HAY that have been out in the weather for a year, I use it in the fall and a good part of it has been composted without any work. I also chop and drop in the fall then cover with mulch, love all the info you provide.

5. Lisa Moseley on May 13, 2022 at 7:39 pm

One question…since I live in GA, our power company and some tree companies will let us have mulch for free, but I’m worried about the % of pine that might be in it. Is that really a problem? In hugelkultur, they say not to use pine, walnut, etc.

6. Mr. Carrolltucky on May 13, 2022 at 7:41 pm

So what you’re say, the amish has it wrong. They till. I have amish friends and they say tilln’ is very important

7. Cheryl Van Esch on May 13, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Can you use chipped pine tree mulch in a food garden?

8. SugarCreek Homestead of Tennessee on May 13, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Some wonderful information thanks so much for sharing!!

9. Dawn Cooper on May 13, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Great information as usual. Your garden looks great even without all the veggies growing.

10. Ohske on May 13, 2022 at 7:48 pm

👍👍👍👌👍😊

11. Ashley Spears on May 13, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Liked and commented for algorithm.

12. kickn-aDead-cat on May 13, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Of all the videos I’ve watched and am implementing their methods, including KNF I never thought or heard of leaving the roots in the soil. Next year I will add that. Learning is listening to something that makes since……

13. Crochet with Clare on May 13, 2022 at 7:50 pm

New subscriber, found you by searching bee wraps, then saw you had gardening videos too, can not wait to look through your others

14. Sally Faulkner on May 13, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Do you have a link for this chipper/shredder?

15. Andrew Sheets on May 13, 2022 at 7:54 pm

I subscribed your channel now!

16. Tami Williams on May 13, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Can I ask what you would do with a yard that is completely covered in crabgrass? I want to transform my back yard into a garden (the whole thing) but have been battling this grass for the last 3 years 🙁

17. Jean Muehlfelt on May 13, 2022 at 7:54 pm

FYI – getchipdrop.com is a sight that you can sign up for to get free chips from local arborists. We live in the country so never got a call. It’s more for urban areas. Also, Mike McGrath former editor of Organic Gardening gives a great TED (on YouTube) presentation on the values of leaf mould. Much of his beliefs are due to how deep the tree roots grow and pick up even the tiniest of minerals. Using the shredded leaves is his go-to organic method of gardening.

18. Judy La May on May 13, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Can I use pine shavings or sawdust in my garden?. I have a wonderful source for this but wonder what the effect it will have on my garden.

19. Jamie Stancato on May 13, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Check to see if you have Chipdrop available in your area by going to their website. We use it and had 20 yards dumped this spring, luckily for me the neighbor needed some so between his needs and mine the LARGE pile of wood chips disappeared from my front lawn (they will drop where ever you want).

20. Bettye's Cooking Channel on May 13, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Thanks.

21. Stoner on May 13, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Great info, thanks Josh. So I have two questions, #1 whoud you ever mulch inside a greenhous, #2 could you use sawdust for mulch in the same way as the others you mentioned? Thanks. 🙂

22. shelli cameron on May 13, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Ask your Power Company who trims trees from power lines Consumer Power uses Utility Tree Service

23. kim94503 on May 13, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Do you mulch your tomato plants or compost?

24. C B on May 13, 2022 at 8:08 pm

If you only put leaves on top for the winter, is it ok to till them in come spring?

25. ladyfortuna adams on May 13, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Great video. Love seeing your garden. Please show it often.

26. Paul Walton on May 13, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Have you considered growing green manure on plots as they become vacant?
    It generates quite a lot of organic matter to feed the soil and excludes light while it grows so keeps the plot weed free. Oh, one more thing: a packet of seed weighs a lot less than all that wood shaving material.

27. william burr on May 13, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Would sawdust provide any benefit for mulching and composting ? In my woodshop I create and collect sawdust from projects.

28. kuza Dupa on May 13, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Have you ever heard of or even tried Horgikulture gardening???

29. Elfwood Adventures on May 13, 2022 at 8:12 pm

If you do wood mulch, stay away from walnut…it is poisonous to many animals and many people have allergies to it.

30. Lunnetta Harding on May 13, 2022 at 8:12 pm

What brand of shredder chopper do you use? Suggestion for when I buy one

31. Team Dishman on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Any recommendations on where to get compost? I am working on being self sustained but not there yet and need to get a patch of dirt nourished while waiting for spring.

32. Circle Double T Homestead on May 13, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Wondering how you put your perennial plants to bed for winter? Berries, grapes, etc.

33. kaisenji on May 13, 2022 at 8:16 pm

We still have time to start beds too. We have four beds to get ready and a goat space that needs cleaning out. We plan on using fresh plus old compost to get ready. I have some garlic that needs planting as well as we need to get our bare root trees. Plus…chickens are coming, Goddess willing, if the ban is lifted on the disease.

34. Beth Arnold on May 13, 2022 at 8:17 pm

What you instructed at the end is what I was wondering. What do you do with the mulch afterwards, Move it to the pathways or put it in a pile somewhere to reuse somewhere else? Suggestions anyone?

35. Wüste Gobi on May 13, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Very sensible using the resources you’ve got. Composting and mulching is so important. You can trust the compost that is created on your own grounds.

36. Carolyn Steele on May 13, 2022 at 8:18 pm

After amending my garden with compost for 4 years the soil is still hard, so just today (November 18) I covered the raised beds with 3 inches of homemade compost and then covered with a thick layer of shredded leaves. My question now: how do I plant carrots, beets and greens next spring?

37. Mr Wilson on May 13, 2022 at 8:18 pm

maybe i missed it on your other videos. what size paneling are you using for your hoop house? thanks

38. Julie Wolf on May 13, 2022 at 8:21 pm

How about sawdust? got a free source. Tree People make furniture.

39. Jennifer Fischer on May 13, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Do you ever need to add minerals to your soil? If so what are good products to use? When it’s time to add more compost next fall will you pull back the much or just add the compost on top of the mulch? Thanks for making informative videos with out to much fluff.

40. EmeryShae on May 13, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Do you have any tips for starting raised beds? We have a very small yard and it’s quite shady, but we have a small area that we want to put in some raised beds. We would have to bring in all the soil.

41. Betty Sha on May 13, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Will everything break down in the spring?

42. John G on May 13, 2022 at 8:25 pm

I can get almost unlimited organic mulch from the city street dept where I live. They even bring it to my house and dump it free. So check with your local city officials. It’s where they grind up limbs, trees, branches, leaves. The only thing, one day I want to get a chirper/grinder to run it thru a second time, there may be a few pieces that could use it. Now, I just need a good organic dirt type material to add to my soil. Great video, Thank you!

43. Brian Seybert on May 13, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Check out Dr. Elaine Ingham, she is awesome and would fit directly into your way of growing crops.

44. wendy plear on May 13, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Hey Josh! Another great, informative video! I was just thinking of this today. I have some lower back issues going on and plan to do raised beds this year. Would you suggest the same method for raised beds? Also, what is the dark color material in your beds ( your soil?)? You were putting mulch on to of it. Thanks!

45. Deborah Tofflemire on May 13, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Hi guys from Ontario Canada. Josh Do I need to add more soil to my compost.My garden is new last summer.I added a try soil last summer.This fall I added a pure mushroom compost to my garden about 4 inches .I do not have mulch but I am going to cover it this winter with a tarp. Do I need to add dirt in the spring . Or can I just go ahead and plant in the compost next spring?Also I just made a smaller garden , I followed your technique that you did on the herb garden So far I covered it with cardboard and now I am covering it with compost. And then using some tarp for the winter. But This spring will I need to add soil.Or just finesh with compost and then plant?any help would be helpful. Some say to much compost is not good. ButMy soil last year seemed to be pretty hard.

46. Steve Pierce on May 13, 2022 at 8:30 pm

How do you keep your mulch from blowing away on the windy days in Idaho

47. Stephen Moberg on May 13, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Zzzzzzz

48. RoseThistleArtworks on May 13, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Thank you. This is so helpful. I was wondering about your tunnels. It looks like cattle panels that are bent with a 1 x 1 attached at the bottom? How do those stay securely bent like that? I didn’t see any t-posts. Are they somehow tent pegged into the ground? I’m sorry if I missed an earlier video about this. They look so nice. I was thinking of using t-posts and baling twine which would not look as nice.

49. Shandi Perry on May 13, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Do you rotate your crops in your permanent beds or plant the same annuals in the same rows every year?

50. Mindmaid1 on May 13, 2022 at 8:31 pm