'No Rules' Vegetable Gardening | A Different Way of Growing Food | An Introduction

In this video, I explore the method of intuitive gardening, which can also be called ‘no-rules ‘ gardening as a different approach to growing food. I explain how the way I am gardening this year is a complete experiment and the reasons behind it. This is the first video for a mini-series that looks deeper at this way of vegetable gardening.
Huge thanks to Liz Zorab for this collab! Check out her channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0Ha5QljsCV5UqIkobBrcQ

Want to support the channel and get more videos? Become a patron and get access to 2 exclusive videos a week, for only $3 a month: https://www.patreon.com/huwrichards

My Online Course ‘More Food Less Effort’: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/more-food-less-effort

Follow me on Instagram: @huws_nursery
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNursery

My 1st Book (Veg in One Bed) http://veginonebed.com/
My 2nd Book (Grow Food for Free) http://growfoodforfree.com/

#permaculture #vegetablegardening #horticulture

1. Rusty Gardeners Place - Ali D on May 14, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Hope your doing well Huw I just bought your book Veg in One Bed I can hardly wait for delivery 🇨🇦🥕🙏🥬👍🌶🐌🌻

2. Renaissance Woman Farm on May 14, 2022 at 7:38 pm

In my case it has been crisis management gardening. But now I’ll call it "intuitive gardening" cause it sounds so much better! LOL

3. MajaElise95 on May 14, 2022 at 7:39 pm

This year has been my first attempt at gardering. I only have a balcony that I share with other people to my disposal, so it’s taken a few years to find the courage and motivation to start. I finally got started when a friend gave me some of her plants.
    I very deliberately have not been doing much research and have instead treated it as a fun experiment. I very much just put things in dirt and wait to see what happens. To my delight I’ve discovered that I know a fair bit about gardening! I used to follow my grandma around her garden and my mom around the house as she tended our plants and I learned a lot of basic principles for how things grow.
    While I have started doing some research now it’s all because I just love doing research. My plan for next year still is to just put things in dirt and see what happens. I don’t expect to get maximum yield, I expect to make loads of dumb mistakes, and I expect to have loads of fun doing something I enjoy.
    I don’t have very strict routines for anything, especially not watering (I’m fairly disorganised in general). I spend time with the plants and when they seem displeased I look for what need is not being met.

4. KyriaNunNuit on May 14, 2022 at 7:39 pm

The only problem with this is that you have to be a MASTER to pull it off. For me, it would be like trying to dance the lead part in Swan Lake with the little experience in amateur dance I have 😃, but I’m sure these Masters will make a success of it 😃😃 I mean, just look at the magnificently garmonious ballets they’ve got going in their gardens! Still, I love the basic message of "Don’t let perfectionism get in the way of doing things".

5. ANNETTE CHINNERY on May 14, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Idea for videos, monthly cook the veg from the garden into meals ideas for us, would be very helpful❤️

6. mike rafferty on May 14, 2022 at 7:41 pm

7. king james488 on May 14, 2022 at 7:42 pm

I mean… to do that you kinda have to know about the plants to know when they can be planted. idk what "rules" your referring to, but you’re probably right that you shouldn’t follow them once you know a thing or 2.

8. Life of a Jeany on May 14, 2022 at 7:45 pm

I’ve been watching your video since I started gardening in our backyard in Canada! I’ve been doing no rules gardening for 2 years. It’s really been abundant harvest this tear especially my potatoes and but my cauliflower did not turn out well this year because of rainy weather! I am really inspired how you do your gardening! Also I like how you mentioned other gardeners channel and so I did get some ideas and followed them as well.

9. The Green Wood Elf on May 14, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant; unchained gardening …..next level on remembering The Garden

10. king james488 on May 14, 2022 at 7:48 pm

ya… you have to till the plant into the soil (or otherwise kill it) to fix the nitrogen… another reason not to garden in wood chips.

11. Rose A on May 14, 2022 at 7:49 pm

I start every gardening year with an idea of what I want grow and I will write down what I intend to plant in each bed. Things happen, the garden and mother nature have their own plan, and I end up planting things where they fit, in conditions that work for them.

12. Kit DuBhran on May 14, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I feel like I’ve been doing this for a while. Just never had a name for it.

13. Linda Phelps on May 14, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Great gardening ideas and however you go about it you get to eat the results. Great videos which we very much enjoy.

14. Life of a Jeany on May 14, 2022 at 7:53 pm

15. Borderline what? on May 14, 2022 at 7:57 pm

I loving this way of gardening, I went round today filling in any gaps in my garden with some spinach beet I’d sow in modules, instead of having just one bed for them now I could possibly get much more, let’s wait and see! And I’m done with worrying about everything having to be in neat rows all divided, I’m going to mix it up abit still planned abit but also using instinct and opportunity. Thanks huw love your work. Do you have away I could make a small donation to your work

16. Pople BackyardFarm on May 14, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Love this … I am constantly telling my gardening buddies break the rules on what someone told you about gardening

17. susette arman on May 14, 2022 at 7:58 pm

your so handsome, may I know you
    thanks for sharing your video on how to gardening

18. Lynda Turner on May 14, 2022 at 7:58 pm

I love the videos of both you and Liz, also I’m a huge admirer of Charles Dowding, I’ve just bought both of your books Huw and am now confused which advice to follow, intuitive or monthly plans🤔

19. wanderbyy on May 14, 2022 at 7:59 pm

The nature loving part of my brain: It makes so much sense to work With nature rather than try to control it.
    The Romantic Part of my brain: Ooooh, that’s lovely and magical
    The Logical Part: You know due to the rampant adhd in here you’d start off being hyper organized and end up here after losing control and winging it anyway.
    The Carolina Girl: …..bet yer ass there’s gonna be a copperhead in there. >.>;;

20. The Young Grower - Ben Thornton on May 14, 2022 at 7:59 pm

only 2 minutes in and already loving what your saying, this is the gardening I do just never knew what to call it, I see my gardens as a blank canvas to create what feels right at the time 🧑🏼‍🌾🖤🙌🏼

thats why I do all this to encourage other to try this way of growing its better for everyone and wildlife. speak soon ben🧑🏼‍🌾

21. Micah on May 14, 2022 at 8:00 pm

This is exactly what I needed to watch at the moment <3 I’m quite new to gardening and get myself far too worked up and anxious on whether I’ve done things exactly ‘right’. Thank you

22. Sky Pilgreen on May 14, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Such a great video! Thank you!

23. Dan Ennis on May 14, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Liz was fantastic. Looking forward to the rest!

24. ANNETTE CHINNERY on May 14, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Idea for your videos, each month cook ,meals with produce from the garden to give us ideas?❤️

25. Dimora on May 14, 2022 at 8:06 pm

I’m interested in seeing how this does year over year. You guys have much nicer soil and could handle heavy feeders in the same spot, i imagine? This was our first somewhat successful year gardening with our poor, sandy soil and I’ve been wracking my brain to come up with a good plan that will build soil and replenish nutrients (rotation, cover crops and lots of herbs and flowers intercropped). The permaculturist in me far prefers the intuitive approach but I haven’t had much luck with that dealing with a poor foundation of deficient soils. Maybe someday I’ll get there :3

26. Natascha Judson on May 14, 2022 at 8:06 pm

Thank you for this video… Liz is very encouraging.

27. Liz Zorab - Byther Farm on May 14, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I really looking forward to seeing your thoughts at the end of the year and to find out whether you’ll continue with no rules gardening or head back to a more planned garden. Thank you so much for inviting me to be a part of this series.

28. Marie Kelly on May 14, 2022 at 8:07 pm

This is my kind of gardening I have been mixing my flowers and veg for a year now and I love the way it looks, I have a small back garden that is south facing and my results are ok so far I’ll be watching for more information 😊

29. Shelley Beairsto on May 14, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I don’t remember if I discovered your channel through Liz’s, or hers through yours, but I really enjoy both of you and appreciate your collaboration, sharing of information and audiences. This is my first year gardening, having finally moved to a large farm property in Nova Scotia, Canada. I have read a lot, watched a lot of youtube videos, and have just gone out there and adapted in a no rules kind of way. I am loving the experience of learning by experimenting!

30. Kit DuBhran on May 14, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Lovely. This is an amazing video! Thanks for posting this. It’s how I’ve been gardening for ages. I walk around with a potted plant, meandering in roughly the right light levels and just pick a spot that we both think will be a nice place for it to go. It’s helped me replace most of the front lawn with plants, both perennials and annuals, edibles and beneficial. I love how it’s turning out. And even letting my bits of lawn do what it wants have led to a wild polyculture of native meadow plants and I love it too. (Even if grass drives me crazy)

Thank you both so much for this video!

31. Fred Blogs on May 14, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Loved it.

32. Charles Watt on May 14, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Digging Huw lately, such a relaxing voice.

33. Victoria Whiteland on May 14, 2022 at 8:20 pm

I couldn’t agree more, surely it is essential to be intuitive around plants… Also, can I just add, please, I simply can’t stand people creating ‘coffins’ to grow their food in !!! And mono-culture is surely least intuitive of all! X

34. Scowling Wolf on May 14, 2022 at 8:20 pm

love Liz

35. finflwr on May 14, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Lovely video. I’m definitely onboard with going with the flow of nature : ) She’ll feed us if we let her.

36. Adjie Hasan on May 14, 2022 at 8:23 pm

I thought you were Christian Bale.

37. Pause for Nature on May 14, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Great video Huw, as always very helpful and informative! ☺️

38. Vanessa on May 14, 2022 at 8:25 pm

I love this! It is my style of gardening, although I love Charles Dowding’s no dig method, but it doesn’t work on my site, due to an extreme bindweed infestation. My style is a mix of a bunch of methods that have worked for me, and each new growing season is a learning experience with successes and failures, and a whole lot of knowledge gained 🙂

39. Miranda F on May 14, 2022 at 8:25 pm

This is my kind of gardening 🙂

40. Br. Samuel on May 14, 2022 at 8:26 pm

I see , there is a vine in the top of yur folietunnel. What variety is that, and how you prune this. Greets from Belgium.

41. Anjas Garten Reich on May 14, 2022 at 8:26 pm

It took me about 2 years of gardening to learn the basics. Since then I have been gardening intuitively. For me this is the best form of gardening and nature is the best teacher and gardener. 🙂

42. Federico Bracamonte on May 14, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Very interesting program!

43. Lisa's Art and Nature on May 14, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Liz and you are my two biggest role models of gardening.. Love the wisdom and the peacefulness you both transmit

44. Pamela Adams on May 14, 2022 at 8:33 pm

I see that you have beautiful grass in your garden. As my garden is expanding, I’m having problems with controlling the weeds in the grass areas. I stopped getting the grass in the garden area treated for weeds last summer. Now the weeds are an eye sore even when cut low. How do you maintain your grass? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

45. Martyn Skillings on May 14, 2022 at 8:34 pm

A really super vid. Liz helped me to relax more than a little over attitude to the garden. I am grateful for that. I am just beginning to cotton on the fact that I’ll have a lot of space once the peas, onions and beans are done and so I’m frantically (less so since the vid) sowing replacements. Thank you both so much for the encouragement and advice. Best wishes as always to you both. Paul (and Liz, look after your health in these hazardous times)

46. Działkowicz UK Gardener on May 14, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I love this

47. OhioGardener on May 14, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I love Liz’s philosophy, "Don’t think about what should be done, but think about what could be done." Rules might say you can’t plant this near that, but there is an open space there so I will plant them there.

48. Tana Rehbein on May 14, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Love this idea- garden the way nature does. It’s God’s garden. I just beat back a few weeds

49. king james488 on May 14, 2022 at 8:36 pm

next spring mix up a pile of radishe, lettuce, spinach, chard/kale, and carrot/beet seeds. broadcast them in a bed. re-sow greens and radishes as required and enjoy food all year with minimal weeding. you’ll get radishes, then tender greens, then hardy greens and root crops in the summer/fall.

50. Lets1008 on May 14, 2022 at 8:36 pm

I loved this video! It’s like listening to the garden and finding what suits it best. Greetings from Spain