How to create a Wildflower Meadow: Wildlife Garden Design Guide – Episode 4.

How to create a Wildflower Meadow: Wildlife Garden Design Guide – Episode 4.

If you want to plant a wildflower meadow then award winning Garden Ninja shows you the easiest way to encourage wildlife to your garden with a meadow. No matter what size garden, I show you how to create a wildflower meadow with minimal fuss!

#gardentour #gardendesign #gardening #wildlife #gardenanswer

Want to find out hints and tips that I use in my own garden? Then watch this guide and subscribe to my Youtube channel for more garden design hints, tips and hacks!

Why not visit my blog for hundreds of gardening guides? www.gardenninja.co.uk

Presented by Garden Ninja, Manchesters Garden Designer and blogger Lee Burkhill. He’s an RHS Award-winning Chelsea garden designer and expert panellist on BBC Radio Manchester’s Saturday morning garden phone in.

Why not subscribe to my youtube channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhMHrXyf2bvga2Mq0DJvwQ

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gardenninjadesign/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Garden_Ninja
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/garden_ninja_lee/

Today’s wildlife design guides going to be all about how to sow your own perennial wildflower meadow. So come on let’s get cracking!

So it comes to planting up a wildflower meadow there are a few options that you’re going to be faced with. Now the first option is the annual
wildflower meadow this means that every year needs to be seeded for new growth each year at the end of the season the plants are the flowers will die back. So you’re really relying on self seeding.

The second option is a herbaceous perennial wildflower meadow and although it may not have every color under the rainbow in it it’s far easier both to establish and to look after. Once you’ve got it established there’s very little that you need to do other than sit back and enjoy it! So come on let me show you more.

So the first set of plants I’m going to show you of these. Elecampane also known as in Inula helenium which are related to other Heleniums. Now these plants are beautiful and they send up these huge yellow ragged daisy-like flowers they do get quite tall so they will add a load of drama to a meadow.

So the next plant is this Leucanthemum vulgare, the oxeye Daisy and if you ask someone to draw a meadow you probably found that they drew these! They have white daisy like flowers they grow to
about 80 centimetres to a meter.

So the next plant is this beauty and it’s a mallow. Malva sylvestris it always reminds me of sweet shops because it’s quite tall but it has these sweet shop pinks and light purple flowers on it.

So down here we’ve got Blue Hyssop. Hyssopus officinalis and I’m adding this into the mix now it’s a semi evergreen herbaceous.

So the next plant is this one which is Polemonium caeruleum, otherwise known as Jacob’s Ladder. Now this is another blue plant and it sends up these little leaves that look like a ladder which is where it gets its name from.

The next plant is Yarrow. Achillea millefolium but you’ll know from my exploding atom garden and I absolutely love this species. Now it can take over in lawns so do you take care but it will give you an incredible show of these umbellifers flowers throughout the summer.

I’m also going to be using Chicory in my meadow mix. The reason for that is it’s got these really attractive looking salad
like leaves.

Now this is Toadflax. Linaria vulgaris and it’s a parasitic plant and what that means is it will leach nutrients off
surrounding grasses

Now all of these plants have been grown in my greenhouse it’s not particularly big it’s not very fancy but it does show that no matter what size garden you’ve got you could grow all of these yourself
and I found it’s far better to grow these from seed because it’s cheaper but when it comes to planting them out which I’m going to show you next you can really carefully consider the position of these plants which ultimately means you are going to have a far nicer wildflower meadow so come on let’s go!

I’m going to use a really sharp trowel lifts the turf off where the plants are going to go so that they’ve got a fighting chance and then plop them in. I’ve already mowed this so it’s already out quite a low setting you don’t want the grass to be competing too much with these plants so no and a really short setting and then when you pop them in make sure you remove their little circle of turf that you’re going to be replacing them with. So I’m going to be putting in around 400 plants into this space if you’ve got a smaller garden that’s not a problem either you simply scale down the amount of plants.

Now these are going to take a number of months before they get established and it’s going to be next year until you start to see that look at the wildflower meadow with all the flowers but it’s well worth the time and investment. I’m going to make sure that I trim around these plants to make sure the grass doesn’t out-compete them until
they’re established you also need to make sure like with any new plant that you keep them well watered.

1. Joe Lyall on May 15, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Great video. When should I plant the seeds, I don’t have a greenhouse

2. James Madison on May 15, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Thanks!

3. ingrid on May 15, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I live in the country and my family owns part of a field, but we rent it out to a local farm to plant corn on. By the field tho is a big area where the raspberry bushes have taken over. It gets lots of sun, so I’m turning that into my wildflower meadow! I just finished pulling up raspberry bushes and honeysuckle trees! It’s hard work but I think it’ll be worth it!! I’m thinking of taking some of the flat rocks from a pile beside our field and using them to create a border.

4. Meine kleine Gartenwelt on May 15, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Thank You so much for your Videos, this is what i will do this Season. Greetings from Berlin/Germany.

5. Mel Royale on May 15, 2022 at 7:19 pm

its ok to build a wild flower meadow, but maintaining the meadow, not allowing it to be grown over. I’ve seen loads set up and most ruined from lack of maintenance. Shame really cos they are nice

6. Woodlands Edge on May 15, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Great video as always can you use a lawn sweeper to clear away cuttings after you have completed your last cut

7. 見性 on May 15, 2022 at 7:21 pm

you could become a pretty gurl

8. andrew barber on May 15, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Excellent video! Thanks very much

9. Brittany Garrison on May 15, 2022 at 7:23 pm

I just need to mow all this pavement around my house here in South Philly.

10. Piper of Hamelin on May 15, 2022 at 7:24 pm

This video is therapy. I am thinking about starting a wildflower meadow in my back yard in the next year or two and this seems like a helpful channel. Thank you for sharing!

11. LAF filmfest on May 15, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Nice video……thank you!…..very genuine…

12. Useyourbrain. on May 15, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Why plant individual plants rather that remove the grass and put wildflower seed down?

13. The French Gardener on May 15, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Outstanding video! Much appreciated tutorial; I can’t wait to start my perennial meadow garden this Spring. Thank you!

14. moon lake on May 15, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Can I got these plant,s seed

15. feeltheforce10 on May 15, 2022 at 7:31 pm

I will try this and plant wild flowers next spring in my meadow.I can section off an acre and create a beautiful wild flower area and the horses can graze the other acres and not disturb the wild flowers.

16. Thornwarbler's workshop on May 15, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Superb ……….Thanks

17. Daria Mancini on May 15, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Good to know about the toad flax

18. carol durand on May 15, 2022 at 7:34 pm

In London, foxes dig them up 🙁

19. terryj379 on May 15, 2022 at 7:34 pm

I have left an area approximately 3×5 meters in my south facing garden in London uncut for the last 3 weeks. You say to plant some wildflower plants I should cut the grass quite short first. Then cut out a piece of lawn each time I plant one. This I can do. I would like perennials so will choose varieties you suggest. Can this be done in April? Unfortunately I won’t be growing from seed . I will have to purchase young plants from a garden centre. I am an absolute novice so any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Terry 👍

20. Debbie Austin on May 15, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Thank you, Lee, I really enjoy watching your videos and this one is one of my favourites. I’m looking forward to seeing how your wildflower meadow progresses this year.

21. Naiomi Rachel Allison on May 15, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Fantastic vid! informative and fun. Thank you… helped my decision making 😉

22. Kdkd KDKD on May 15, 2022 at 7:39 pm
  23. Lesley Graham on May 15, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Fantastic video and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

24. Miguel Ángel Freitas García on May 15, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Hola , me parece admirable que alguien tan joven tenga tanta pasión por la jardinería y plantas , veo que produces por semillas las plántulas , me cuesta un poco entender ya que no hablamos el mismo idioma . Suerte en tus proyectos.

25. Hummer Klein on May 15, 2022 at 7:44 pm

I’m new to your channel
    I moved in this an yard on 1 1/2 in dirt on top of gravel.
    Pray for me

26. Rocco on May 15, 2022 at 7:47 pm

How did you decide the amount of plants needed?

27. Deboarh Tiernan on May 15, 2022 at 7:47 pm

The best Wildflower gardening vid Ive seen in ages. How do we see how it turned out?

28. Kinou_clem __ on May 15, 2022 at 7:47 pm

I come, I see a dog in a wheel barrow, I subscribe.

29. Adrienn Magyar on May 15, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Did you have a follow up video for this? 🙂

30. Mi Ran on May 15, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Love the wild flowers! Thank you so much for your video! Greetings from the Netherlands! 🙂🌱🌿🏵️🌺🥀🌻🌷

31. Claire Gauntlett on May 15, 2022 at 7:51 pm

What breed is your dog ? Great video by the way

32. Fireball Xl5 on May 15, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I am letting some of my garden go wild,if you let the ‘weeds’ grow they are the ones adapted to your environment.

33. Thomas Geddes on May 15, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Can you just scatter seed on a lawn that has been lightly forked?

34. Suzi Springfield on May 15, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Cracking videos … inspirational, down to earth and you even include Barry in your designs/plans…You ought to be on tv! A truly gifted gardener. I’m applying to be your gran! 🤣😂

35. Vagabond on May 15, 2022 at 7:52 pm

Hi Ninja. Great video thank you. What size meadow have you planted with your 400 seeds please? I am trying to gauge seeds per m2. Thanks.

36. paul evans on May 15, 2022 at 7:53 pm

😁😁😁👍🏻

37. James Tulley on May 15, 2022 at 7:53 pm

I cant tell you how happy I am to have stumbled across your site. I came back to the UK for a holiday in Jan, and due to circumstances have been helping my elderly mum. The garden has been a salvation for both of us, and we have really worked to make it as pollinator friendly as possible. Our next step is wildflower meadow, which for our 50 plus year mature garden is going to be an exciting step. Thank you for all the inspiring videos and tips you put out.

38. Suzan Sadie on May 15, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Thank you this is great and I realsie quite a few of the flowering pklants you recommend I know which is alwasy encouraging. Can I ask are there any wildflower seed packs that you would recommend?

39. Kevin James Parr on May 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm

You will have problems planting into grass no matter how well cut back

40. Daniel Howard on May 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm

I live in a small house but have a long narrow front lawn that I want to change into a small meadow. The thing is I don’t have a greenhouse nor the space to grow lots of the plants beforehand. Is it possible to grow the meadow by planting the seeds directly into the soil? Thanks

41. Michael Hutchins on May 15, 2022 at 7:58 pm

I want to see all the birds and bees happy

42. Connie Williams on May 15, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Would love to plant a wildflower garden. Any tips for a yard built on glacial till? The only thing that thrives is Sow Thistle 😥

43. Christi Burns on May 15, 2022 at 8:02 pm

I never knew that about toad flax! Thank you~ could you share the greenhouse you have? I am struggling with finding a 4 seasons with the snow in my area
    Yours looks lovely and sturdy

44. Tamsin Williams on May 15, 2022 at 8:02 pm

This is really useful, and informative about meadow planting, what comes across os how passionate you are about plants. It’s inspiring – thank you!

45. Kathryn Willette on May 15, 2022 at 8:02 pm

When you mentioned chicory, I peeked up because my grandmother used to put it in her coffee pot (percolator!). She was born in 1897 and lived until the year 2001.

46. Rev Avra on May 15, 2022 at 8:03 pm

I have a 100 ft patch of uncultivated soil that I would like to turn into a wild meadow. It has been weeded, the soil turned and raked. It has no Lawn or other species on it. How do I know if it has is a rich soil or a poor soil, and what is the difference?
    Also, if I plant an Annual Wild Flower meadow, now, then will I see the results before the summer?
    And, is now a good time to simply scatter the seeds over the soil and allow nature to do its thing ?

47. Sharon Spiteri on May 15, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for this lovely video. I have been creating annual meadows for a couple of years, looking to incorporate some perennials in there also. Great information. Thank you again for sharing. Really enjoyed it.

48. Maria Timmins on May 15, 2022 at 8:06 pm

This fills my heart with happiness, i love meadows and am looking forward to getting my hands dirty in the garden, i must admit it really saddens me to see how many block paving driveways and hedges torn up, yes simple and clean cut but no help to nature… thanks for the info glad to come across your channel 💙🧡💛👍x

49. TheRobblue on May 15, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Where can I buy these plants? (Cheshire)

50. Crocheting Around New Zealand on May 15, 2022 at 8:12 pm

This was a great video thanks. I’m going to give this a go.